The Sword and Laser discussion

10 Awesomely Terrible Fantasy Author Websites

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott (new)

Scott Lee | 9 comments G.R.R. Martin's website made me throw up in my mouth a little. He has, at a guess, more money than Jesus by now, and yet won't spring for a web developer? That just seems unwise.

That said, I love the old luddite. If this is what he wants, I'll read his blog by RSS and wait for the next book. As long he keeps writing, he can have a geocities website, and I'll be happy. Same goes for any decent author: keep writing, let others worry about the website. Please.

message 2: by Tassie Dave (new)

Tassie Dave | 905 comments George R.R. Martin's website isn't bad, it's just set in an alternate distant past of the internet. ;-)

I agree most of them are bad but C.J.Cherryh's is truly terrible.

The sad thing is that most of them have fans that would love to re-design their websites, and probably do it for free.

message 3: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 2032 comments What? Cherryh's site is awesome. I love the way it pays subtle homage to Kibo's site.

message 4: by Tamahome (last edited May 16, 2012 11:36PM) (new)

Tamahome | 4813 comments Those sites were cutting edge when the internet first came out. They look great in Mosaic.

message 5: by Tora (new)

Tora | 69 comments Thanks for posting it, this was hilarious! At the time of my reading, even the comments were hilarious.

"It's like visiting the Amish."

message 6: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3130 comments On a similar vein, any author still using LJ has a special place in my heart. ;)

message 7: by Skaw (new)

Skaw | 116 comments What irritates me is when the author doesn't have a website at all. When I finish a good book by an author I haven't read before, I like to go online and find out if there's more books or when the next one is coming out. I am irrationally peeved if I find they don't have one or if I have to wade through five million blog posts to find information about their next book.

Hmm now that I consider it, perhaps a badly designed website is worse then no one website at all. Its like a tease - here's the place you'll find the information you're looking for - no wait, its not here after all. Hee hee, you only wasted a half an hour of your day looking for it.

message 8: by Rob (new)

Rob Osterman (RobOsterman) Out of curiosity does a blog count as a "Website?"

message 9: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Rob wrote: "Out of curiosity does a blog count as a "Website?""

That has been the question since 2001.

message 10: by Keith (new)

Keith (Teleport-City) | 266 comments For that matter, does a facebook page/group count as a website? Is it better to not have a website (which ends up almost always getting ignored) if the author is active elsewhere (Gail Carriger for instance is VERY active and responsive on facebook and twitter)?

I'd rather deal with a hundred "designed in 1997" author websites than a single "eight million moving images and generic trance music you can't turn off" flash pages for restaurants. I just want to know what your hours are, jerks!

I think my favorite thing about GRRM's web presence is how much of it is dedicated not to A Song of Ice and Fire, but instead to New York football. I maintain that the overall demeanor of his books is directly related to the quality of play from the Jets and/or Giants. As NY just won a Super Bowl, I expect the next book to be pretty good.

On the other hand, if Tebow bombs with The Jets, expect Tyrion and Arya to get killed off in the next book.

message 11: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (masupert) | 192 comments No Jerry Pournelle on there?

message 12: by Niz (new)

Niz | 11 comments and despite the laughable quality of GRRM's website, his career is hardly suffering for it.

message 13: by Scott (new)

Scott Allen | 22 comments This is hilarious. Thanks.

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Gail Carriger (other topics)