Book Marketing for Authors discussion

Info on doing a pre-lauch?

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Jason Charles (TommyJCharles) | 7 comments I'm sure this discusson will be of help to others as well.

My partner and I jumped the gun on our first release. We didn't have a website, and we didn't do any pre-lauch at all. We just released it and hoped for sales. We got some, but now it's bottomed out, and we know why.

We want to do it right this time. Can anyone shed some light on what we should do, other than being active on GRs, making book trailers (We don't believe in them..but we know that some authors swear by them).

Any insights are appreciated, thanks.

message 2: by Eric (new)

Eric (E_gerds) | 10 comments You want to start to do your marketing early months before hand. You will want to build up an audience here on GR, Facebook, twitter and on a website.

Book Trailers are not for everyone or for every book. I would focus your time on the other locations.

I hope this helps.

Eric
http://www.plagueofvampires.com/

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim Kukral (jimkukral) | 21 comments Mod
Tommy wrote: "I'm sure this discusson will be of help to others as well.

My partner and I jumped the gun on our first release. We didn't have a website, and we didn't do any pre-lauch at all. We just released ..."

Yeah, what Eric said. :) You need a comprehensive book marketing plan, and content plan. We can help. www.digitalbooklaunch.com

message 4: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Weidenfeller (BrittanynCory) | 7 comments Facebook and other social network sites are your friend. Make new fans, make new friends. The best way to do that is to get personal. Stay in contact, ask opinions of your readers, make them feel like they are a part of your writing process. Marketing is your second best tool. I make book swag for authors (I will provide a link to my Facebook stores portfolio album) it can cost you very little to market your books with book swag which in the long run will help you get your books out there more because if you have loyal fans, you have fans that are willing to help you and to help "share" your books. I guarantee just by doing contests on Facebook and interacting with your fans on a daily basis in another year you will see an exponential rise in book sales. I watch it happen all the time with my favorite indie authors who I also now create book swag for contests, for book signings, conferences, giveaways etc. I make quality Hip Cap Book swag with your book covers as keychains, magnets and even necklaces, Keychains and necklaces are $2.99 apiece and magnets are $1.99 apiece. I offer special discounts for larger orders plus you get FREE shipping on orders of $20.00 or more ; ) if you follow this link to my Facebook store Hip Caps Jewelry I have an entire album dedicated to the two most recent book swag jobs I've done for INCREDIBLE authors! Thank you, B. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric (E_gerds) | 10 comments When you do Social Marketing keep in mind that you need to do more than just ask people to buy your book or to go to your website.

You need to give information. Some people talk about themselves and treat their fans as friends. Others give technical information to help other the reader. Everyone must find their voice so just doing what someone else does does not always work.

Start Building your fan base as soon as you can before the release of your book and you will get better results.

Eric

message 6: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Jason Charles (TommyJCharles) | 7 comments Thanks everyone, very insightful :).

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Weiss | 5 comments These are all great tips. I've been going light on the marketing until my third book comes out in October (the idea being I'll get more bang for my buck if people have three books to buy). In the mean time, trying to build a social media fan base, creating a press kit, running my author website, etc. But I confess it feels like it's going awfully slowly. Maybe that's normal and there are no real overnight successes.

Aside from being a good tweeter (i.e. not a spammer), how does one build a social media fan base? I keep finding other writers, and I like that, but how to reach out to more readers?

Thanks in advance,
Kirsten

message 8: by Eric (new)

Eric (E_gerds) | 10 comments Kisten, Marketing is SLOW! I do know where people get the idea that this should be a fast thing.

You should not wait until October you should be starting building your fan base now so that they will be ready when the book comes out.

I would suggest that you link together your website, twitter and facebook pages. It saves a lot of work in the long run and make a little material go a long way. That way when you post on one it shows up on the other two.

As for not being a spammer, just post fun and/or useful information. Post things that people will want to read.

P.S. Post your links where ever possible. ;-)

Eric

message 9: by Vinodh (new)

Vinodh Venkat | 3 comments I agree that the book trailers that everyone thinks about will not do much for your book. However, Red 14 Films has reinvented the book trailer, and have worked with Anthony Swofford, author of "Jarhead," and Oscar-Nominated actor Eric Roberts. If you ever re-consider doing a professional cinematic quality book trailer, visit www.red14films.com and see what you think.

message 10: by Tommy (last edited Jul 17, 2012 07:26PM) (new)

Tommy Jason Charles (TommyJCharles) | 7 comments I watched a few trailers..they are well done.

I'm afraid of the price, though :P.

unread topics | mark unread