Q&A with Kimberly Brock discussion

My Writing Process

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kimberly Brock (kimberlydbrock) | 11 comments Mod
In this thread, I'm happy to discuss my writing process and answer any questions you may have about all things involved in creating a novel.

C. Clark (hopeclark) | 3 comments How long did it take you to write the first draft of River Witch from its original conception?

I started the first draft of River Witch almost exactly three years to the day of completing it. Two more years of submissions and revisions followed before I sold the manuscript for publication. It was a very long process and not all of it was spent writing - it also involved research and the evolution of the idea. There were several incarnations of the manuscript before it took the shape of the novel it is today.

message 4: by Cathleen (last edited May 15, 2012 02:30PM) (new)

Cathleen Holst (cathleenholst) | 3 comments I'm so relieved to know that I'm not the only one whose work has gone through several incarnations before finally getting to the root of the story. :)

Cathleen wrote: "I'm so relieved to know that I'm not the only one whose work has gone through several incarnations before finally getting to the root of the story. :)"

I doubt you could say otherwise about any published work...at least I hope so! lol

Cathleen Holst (cathleenholst) | 3 comments You and me both.

message 7: by Cathleen (last edited May 15, 2012 03:17PM) (new)

Cathleen Holst (cathleenholst) | 3 comments I've noticed that I seem to be most productive in the wee hours. Whether it's after everyone in the house have gone to bed or early in the morning before they wake up. Do you have a time when you're most productive?

Cathleen wrote: "I've noticed that I seem to be most productive in the wee hours. Whether it's after everyone in the house have gone to bed or early in the morning before they wake up. Do you have a time when you'r..."

I am NOT a morning person (unless I'm in Hawaii with the time change working for me and then I WISH I was always a morning person). I am a complete night owl. I do write very late and often get up in the middle of the night and sneak down to my laptop for a few minutes. But the truth is, I work almost constantly. In any given moment, I am working on story. Whether it's while I'm mothering my three children, driving to carpool or sports practices, or hiding in the bath, my mind is working on story. The time I spend writing does not come in long stretches, but in the moments I can steal. I'm a time thief. Some days I think I CREATE time. lol

Jessica McCann (JessicaMcCann) Did you revise as you wrote the book? Or did you just blaze through to complete a first draft and then go back to rework the entire piece?

Jessica wrote: "Did you revise as you wrote the book? Or did you just blaze through to complete a first draft and then go back to rework the entire piece?"

I work both ways. I write pieces/scenes and then patch them together as I go along. At some point, I have something like a first draft. Then I play with that in a much more organized manner. For this novel, I worked on about four complete drafts that were often wildly different in places. In the end, I settled on a draft of the book that felt the most solid, that gave each of the voices in the story a full ARC and plenty to say without drowning out another character. I cut an entire POV and a very large thread from the final draft because I felt it was overshadowing the story between Roslyn and Damascus. So, to answer your question, I rework and rework. Call me Ms. Revision.

Sharla Lovelace (sharlalovelace) | 1 comments I love to hear how other authors' make their process work. Mine is crazy, working around a full time job, but like you, I'm always crafting story and letting the characters work out their scenes in my head. And after that contract, those leisurely writing stretches give way to chaotic deadlines. LOL! Congrats on your release, and I love the cover and title. That alone caught my attention, and I'll be downloading your book. :)

unread topics | mark unread