What's The Name of That Book??? discussion

Castle for Rent (Castle Perilous, #2)
This topic is about Castle for Rent
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > Book about castle with many doors... Fantasy/Sci Fi [s]

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Shane | 4 comments I am looking for a book series, of which the only thing I remember is that it is about a castle or tower with many doors, each of which leads to some alternate world. There are multiple plotlines going on through each book.

Any ideas?

message 2: by Jen3n (new)

Jen3n | 19 comments The Chronicles of Amber, maybe?

Shane | 4 comments After reading the description, probably not the Chronicles of Amber, seeing as the other is more humorous than serious... it's probably closer to a teen reading level than adult, but I will definitely add the Chronicles of Amber to my list of books to read :D Thanks Jen!

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (Nulaanne) | 111 comments House of Dark Shadows This might be it.

message 5: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 338 comments If it's humorous, maybe Castle Perilous?

message 6: by Sairah (new)

Sairah (Sairahb) | 62 comments This one isn't a castle, but a rather small house. Try THE HOUSE OF MANY WAYS by Diana Wynne Jones. (Sorry for the caps, it's my substitute for italics in this unfortunately plaintext landscape.)

message 7: by Sairah (new)

Sairah (Sairahb) | 62 comments Oh and the bookbinding suggested isn't a book series although it does build on a world established through two other books and borrows some characters.

Shane | 4 comments Thanks for the help so far! Unfortunately, I haven't read any of these ones, but they're being added to my book list to read!

So, after some thought, I have a few more things for it, though probably not very helpful; each chapter is a different group of people, about three groups total, and they are all trying to find something behind each of the doors they end up behind, though what they are searching for I can't remember. I know there's a multitude of different types of creatures that are all going in and out the doors, and most of the people seem fairly modern, although in a fairly medieval style world... lots of magic and stuff too

message 9: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) | 66 comments The Hyperion Cantos series by Dan Simmons has houses with rooms built on different planets.

Hyperion
The Fall of Hyperion
Endymion
The Rise of Endymion

message 10: by Meg (new)

Meg (Spiraling) | 20 comments It could also be part of Diane Duane's Tale of the Five series. I remember a castle with doors that went to mysterious places.

message 11: by Linguana (new)

Linguana | 1 comments Makes me think of Mister Monday, Grim Tuesday, etc. by Garth Nix. It's called the Keys to the Kingdom series.

Other than that, Howl's Moving Castle has a magical door that opens to different places/dimensions/worlds.

Shanna_redwind | 714 comments That really sounds like DmDutcher's suggestion, Castle Perilous. It was one of my favourites.

There are several other books in that series, could it be one of them?
Here's a list of them:
http://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=...

message 13: by Lissaleo (new)

Lissaleo | 18 comments This may be a stretch...could it be The Subtle Knife?

There is the multiple groups of people moving between different worlds in search of something aspect, modern seeming people in a world with a definitely non-modern feel, and if I remember correctly one of the worlds that they regularly pass through gave me the impression of tall stone towers/buildings sort of like a medieval European town.

The bit that is missing is the "doors" between worlds; my impression was that it was the knife that allowed moving between worlds. However I did read the book a while ago when I was a fair amount younger so I don't have a great memory of it.

Good luck figuring out what the book is!

message 14: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 1176 comments Sairah wrote: "This one isn't a castle, but a rather small house. Try THE HOUSE OF MANY WAYS by Diana Wynne Jones. (Sorry for the caps, it's my substitute for italics in this unfortunately plaintext landscape.)"

It could be "A Castle in the Air" or "Howl's Moving Castle" too (which are prequels to "The House of Many Ways")

message 15: by Brian (new)

Brian (furicle) Another stretch is The Last Legends of Earth

A castle with doors is just one way they move between worlds....

message 16: by Tess (new)

Tess | 378 comments I haven't read this, and it doesn't seem to quite fit, but could it be Tuesdays at the Castle

message 17: by Angharad (new)

Angharad | 99 comments The Chrestomanci series (The Chronicles of Chrestomanci: Volume I), also by Diana Wynne Jones, uses a multiverse setting and seems to involve a castle, as well.

Shane | 4 comments Thank you all for your help!

It looks like D.M. was right, and Shanna, thank you for pointing it out. I read Castle for Rent LOL! I will have to find the rest of this series and read them all!

message 19: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 5767 comments Mod
So it was definately Castle Perilous then?

Shanna_redwind | 714 comments I think Shane might have been saying that it was Castle for Rent, part of the Castle Perilous series.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

House of Dark Shadows (other topics)
Castle Perilous (other topics)
Hyperion (other topics)
The Fall of Hyperion (other topics)
Endymion (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Dan Simmons (other topics)
Diane Duane (other topics)