Paranormal and Horror Lovers discussion

Author Help and Tips > Favorite character to write?

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Rainey (jennifer_rainey) | 158 comments So, fellow authors, who is your favorite character to write and why? :)

My demon character, Alex Ridner, from These Hellish Happenings is one of my favorites. He's a high-ranking demon in Hell, smart as a whip and very sarcastic and confident outwardly, but underneath that, he really questions what it means to be a demon and whether or not he enjoys what he does as much as he's supposed to as a "minion of Satan."

So, who is your favorite to write and why? Introduce everyone! :)

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina Carreiro | 1 comments Hi, everyone! I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to play.

My favorite character to write is my MC, Cole, from Power of the Moon. Since he's a vampire, I can push him further than my human characters and it's sooo delicious when he snaps. I like peeling his layers off to reveal that hungry vampire that lies just beneath his surface.

message 3: by B.C. (new)

B.C. (Sirrom) | 33 comments Greetings, I am Sirrom.

My favorite character to write is Dis from 'Solstice Night'. For the first part of my story he is mute. That was a challenge in itself, but it also made his every gesture very important. His brutal life begins in slavery. When he finally breaks free, he is at a loss of what to with his new freedom and how to react to love and affection that is so foreign to him.

With Dis it was always about what was happening inside.

Solstice Night by B.C. Sirrom

message 4: by Edenmary (new)

Edenmary Black (edenmaryblack) | 30 comments Hi Jen, Tina and Sirrom,
Sebastien is the vampiric dictator of the Demesne, a haven for supernaturals in Sanctum Angels: Shadow Havens Book 1. He's so dark that he is a mental stretch for me, but he's fun to write for that very reason. His Mate, Ilea, is fun because she's growing so much!

Sirrom - Dis does sound challenging... and interesting!

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Rainey (jennifer_rainey) | 158 comments Wow, Sirrom, I can only imagine the challenges of writing a mute character!

Edenmary, I totally agree about writing characters who are very different from you, the writer. It's sometimes a challenge, but that's what makes it fun! I don't want to write a book full of characters who are just like me. :P

message 6: by Rebecca, Group Creator (new)

Rebecca Nolan (RNolanAuthor) | 421 comments Mod
My Fave character to write so far has been Magnus. He was meant to be a secondary character of no importance but then the cheeky faery took over and became a focal point. I love his words and often find myself listening into his converstaions that play in my mind. Alcott was another fave because he is a smart ass and i like that. Then there was Lilli, she was hard because she had so much going on and was totally confused about her feelings or what to do lol. Actually I think many of my characters have been fun lol. I love listening to there converstaions as they run through my mind and sometimes I don't even know what is going to happen until I am in front of the computer writing it lol.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Rainey (jennifer_rainey) | 158 comments Rebecca wrote: "My Fave character to write so far has been Magnus. He was meant to be a secondary character of no importance but then the cheeky faery took over and became a focal point. I love his words and often..."

Haha, smart asses are some of the best characters to write! Also, I love characters who are meant initially to be secondary, but end up being more important. I have a couple of those myself.

message 8: by Edenmary (new)

Edenmary Black (edenmaryblack) | 30 comments Jen - Yes, those mental stretches are good as a writer and I agree...smart ass characters can add spice. Sometimes funny, sometimes dark and sometimes just a contrast.

About secondary characters... I like the back stories of secondary characters. Something that's fun with paranormals is that they usually have a back story because they're older than mortals. Who knows where they've been? Or what they've done?

message 9: by Trinity, PNH Lovers Tech Support & Group creator (new)

Trinity Hanrahan (musesinspire) | 192 comments Mod
OK, I'm not an 'original works' writer... but I think this applies no matter what you write, you always have that favorite character!

I love writing any character that I can (believably) write as a smart ass. I may do drama pieces, but there's always that underlying humor in it. You can't get through life without humor and so I always add it. And I always have that one character that is able to provide it... be it smart ass comments, jokes, actions, whatever. LOL

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm trying to come up with an area in england for my story 'Solved'

message 11: by Erin (new)

Erin van Moer (erinvanmoer) | 13 comments I love writing about cannibals.

And also super sexual and yet smart gay men.

message 12: by Erin (new)

Erin van Moer (erinvanmoer) | 13 comments Jennifer wrote: "So, fellow authors, who is your favorite character to write and why? :)

My demon character, Alex Ridner, from These Hellish Happenings is one of my favorites. He's a high-ranking demon in Hell, sm..."

Your book sounds interesting!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I love all of mine.

message 14: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 96 comments While I only have one published novel under my belt, I absolutely loved writing for the main character, Elise. I still go through Elise withdrawal sometimes, and I have found it a challenge to write for someone else as I start a new novel.

Elise was so interesting for me because she re-writes each situation and puts the story in an entirely different light. Elise can steal energy. From anyone. She simply needs to touch them – anywhere their skin is exposed – and then it begins. She concentrates, focusing her thoughts, truly noticing the blood in her fingers; the way another’s skin is warm against her own, and then – she feels for something more. Feeling for the life just on the other side of the skin. The burning begins, the tingling, the heat. And in a few seconds (or a few minutes if you’re unlucky) she can take as much of you as she wants – your strength, your feelings, even your thoughts. The energy is then hers to use. She can heal herself of even a fatal wound. She can make herself incredibly strong – running faster, jumping further, lifting more. She can use the energy to give herself telekinetic powers, moving and manipulating objects with her mind. The gift makes her fearless (something I am certainly not). Seeing each situation through her eyes was so empowering and interesting as a writer.

Carrie Salo
The Sounding

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Rainey (jennifer_rainey) | 158 comments Edenmary wrote: "About secondary characters... I like the back stories of secondary characters. Something that's fun with paranormals is that they usually have a back story because they're older than mortals. Who knows where they've been? Or what they've done?"

I know, right? I love that about immortals. When I see something on The History Channel, I sit there and think, "Now, how old was my protagonist when this happened? What was he up to?" LOL!

Muse wrote: "OK, I'm not an 'original works' writer... but I think this applies no matter what you write, you always have that favorite character!

I love writing any character that I can (believably) write as ..."

I'm the same way. Everything has at least SOME humorous thread in it. I can't completely give it up!

Erin wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "So, fellow authors, who is your favorite character to write and why? :)

My demon character, Alex Ridner, from These Hellish Happenings is one of my favorites. He's a high-ranking ..."

Thank you very much! :)

I'm really enjoying "meeting" all of these characters. Carrie, I totally get what you mean about character withdrawal! It's a horrible feeling! Have you considered writing something else (maybe just a short story even) with Elise?

message 16: by L.M. (new)

L.M. Smith (LadyMuse82) | 186 comments I recently had to change my answer to this question after writing for the anthology project. I really loved writing Bonnie. She's the quintessential heroine that you love to hate!

She's self-centered but not spoiled; she's polite but inconsiderate at the same time; she's passive AND aggressive but never passive-aggressive; she's a cheater, a user, an abuser of her powers, and yet she has these completely absurd moral standards that only she could ever possibly understand.

From the outside looking in she's a bad guy but from her perspective she's completely justified in everything that she does because she writes her own rules and truly believes that they're fair.

She's actually kinda ugly but she can mess with your head to make you think she's the most beautiful woman in the world ... and she's a control freak who doesn't trust anyone but herself.

Huh ... maybe she's more me than Jazz. Interesting.

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Rainey (jennifer_rainey) | 158 comments L.M. wrote: "I recently had to change my answer to this question after writing for the anthology project. I really loved writing Bonnie. She's the quintessential heroine that you love to hate!

She's self-cen..."

Wow, Bonnie sounds like a blast! I love characters the reader loves to hate; they're some of the most fun to write.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

These Hellish Happenings (other topics)
Power of the Moon (other topics)
Solstice Night (other topics)
The Sounding (other topics)