Twilight (Twilight, #1) Twilight discussion


602 views
Stephenie Meyer: Good or Bad (Was her Writing Good?)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 302) (302 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Gracie She's nooot even sure she'll write a seecond Host book because sh doesn't want to kill characters off. None of her books have good plots because of this and she can't write. She's like your average damsel in distress with out a reason to be distressed. She's anti- feminist. What do you guys think about her and her writing and why?


Taylor Snyder I personally think she shouldn't write a second book for the Host, I think it ended quite nicely for what Stephanie Meyer could do with her "talent" in writing. I also completely agree with what you're saying, to be able to deliver a heart felt book, you need to kill off some important characters, if not you don't exactly get to see how important that person was and how they affected the other characters. And no one wants a book that is always "happy ever after" it gets boring and predictable. Myself being a complete feminist, thinks she should just stop writing, reading the twilight saga almost killed me, because she made me so upset in some cases. (: ya'know?


message 3: by Angie Elle (last edited May 13, 2012 03:55PM) (new) - added it

Angie Elle If you don't like her books and you think they don't have good plots, then why do you bother reading them? If you dislike her as much as you claim to, I would think this would be good news for you.


Chelsea Denisse Alot of authors become emotionally attached to their characters and that doesnt mean they are weak. They feel as though the characters are real just like how we feel when we're reading them. Only because your not necessarily like that doesnt mean she has to do what you feel is right. I for one think that her writing is great. So all I'm saying is that if she doesnt want to kill of any of her characters then let her do so because a lot of authors are in the same perdiciment. And if you think her writing is so terrible and her books dont have good plots then why do you care if she makes another Host book or not?


message 5: by Gracie (last edited May 13, 2012 04:05PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Gracie oh no, like many other girls out there i liked them... at first (true love and all that)Then I got to thinking about how abustive Edward and Bella's relationship was. How Bella was so weak her life stopped without Edward and didn't start again until she found companionship with Jacob. How Edward told her what to do and she listened. Women have brains too and they should be able to make their own decisions. Meyers was basically saying the purpose of a women is to be a lover. And I dont like that. For example: what were Bella's dreams besides marrying Edward and leaving her dad and mom to live with him? What college did she want to go to? I didn't like what the story insinuated.


message 6: by Angie Elle (new) - added it

Angie Elle She made her own decision when she chose to listen to him. Just because you wouldn't have done the same doesn't mean her decisions were wrong.


Gracie She made a decision to be a less than him.


message 8: by Angie Elle (new) - added it

Angie Elle In your opinion, maybe. That's not how I saw it at all.


Taylor Snyder Well i don't think she should write another Host because she ended it quite well, and you asked why i read them, i read the twilight saga when i was like 14, and i became completely engrossed with them. then i re-read them like last month. And i think I've changed and my views of what a good author should be. I shouldn't have said she should stop writing, I should have just said I probably won't read her books anymore. If she's making money on what shes doing, she can make all the books she wants.


message 10: by Angie Elle (last edited May 13, 2012 04:37PM) (new) - added it

Angie Elle Taylor wrote: "Well i don't think she should write another Host because she ended it quite well, and you asked why i read them, i read the twilight saga when i was like 14, and i became completely engrossed with ..."

Ooops...sorry Taylor. That was directed at Gracie, not you. It just happened to end up right after your post.


Grace I can see this is a touchy subject.
I liked Twilight, I really did. I thought it was a fine book and couldn't wait for the next one. And then I read the next one, and the next one, and the one after that, and my opinion changed.
I could rant forever about the last three books. But then everybody would lose interest, so I'll just keep it short and sweet. New Moon: Bella is mopey and annoying, mostly because she got back with Edward even though he dumped her for twisted reasons and Jacob respected her more anyway. Eclipse: boring filler book. Breaking Dawn: the ending was way too perfect.
On a brighter note, Stephanie Meyer Lovers, I really liked The Host. The concept was interesting to me, and I was okay with the ending. That said, I don't think that it should become a series. I don't want to be disappointed again, and I have a sickening feeling that I will.
For me, reading a Stephanie Meyer book is hit or miss. I think that she has an unhealthy love affair with too-happy endings and she does have a hard time killing off characters that would make the story more emotional and personal. But that's not to say I don't understand her. When you write a character you love, that character is like your child, and nobody wants to kill their child. But still.
So I think that I ended up writing one of those unbearably long posts and I probably lost you somewhere in paragraph three,but whatever. That's how I feel.


*book*lover* Stephenie Meyer is obviously successful at what she does.....


message 13: by Angie Elle (last edited May 13, 2012 04:58PM) (new) - added it

Angie Elle Elissa wrote: "I can see this is a touchy subject.
I liked Twilight, I really did. I thought it was a fine book and couldn't wait for the next one. And then I read the next one, and the next one, and the one ..."


You didn't lose me! LOL I think your point of view was insightful.

When someone is throwing money in your face for a sequel to your book and you turn it down, that takes strength. It's hard for a lot of people to turn money down. I think this plays a big part in why so many excellent books are turning into less than mediocre series.

Good for Stephenie Meyer for knowing when to end it.


Keiley Well I'll be the first to say that Stephenie Meyer is probably at the bottom of my list in terms of good writers, she's not entirely anti-feminist. Twilight wasn't even that bad a series, in fact barely anyone hated it before they made the movies of it. Bella Swan is a nightmare in terms of what a strong female character should be. Seriously, she is the entire opposite of what I like in a character. But let's be honest, Twilight is a freaking romance novel. In romance novels, for the most part, we aren't looking for strong female characters and daring stunts, we're looking for romance. Well, most are. I personally don't even like romance novels, so why I read this series is a mystery.
As for The Host, it was a legitimately good book. And I'm not calling her weak for not wanting to write a sequel. It ended perfectly fine! And honestly, I'm going to think you're something of an idiot if you really do want that sequel.
She doesn't understand the concept of 'not everyone gets a happy ending' as most writers do. Sometimes, leaving a character suffering is the best thing for the character and the series. Breaking Dawn was a perfect example of her lack of understanding. Jacob imprinting on Renesmee? That's a little too perfect. I think the only reason she did that was because everyone seemed to like Jacob a heck of a lot more than Edward and she'd already decided that Bella was going to end up with him.
Also, to the original poster, could you proof read your posts before you say something? Not to be mean or anything but typos and spelling mistakes drive me crazy!
Ciao.


Grace Angie wrote: "When someone is throwing money in your face for a sequel to your book and you turn it down, I view that as strong. It's hard for a lot of people to turn money down. I think this plays a big part in why so many excellent books are turning into mediocre series."


I completely agree! Some books just aren't meant to have sequels. Sometimes, they need to stand by themselves.


message 16: by Morgana_lefay (last edited May 13, 2012 05:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Morgana_lefay Elissa wrote: "I completely agree! Some books just aren't meant to have sequels. Sometimes, they need to stand by themselves."

I agree, it's nice to read something that has an end ando not wait years and years without for the ending and and the books just go on and on, I would like for those authors to finish the series before they or I die :)


message 17: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I don't get why people feel the need to go on and on and on and on bashing Stephenie Meyer and her writing. All the posts on this site about the Twilight Saga have turned into bashing threads. If I strongly dislike a book, I try to forget about it and move on - not continually talk about it. As for it being anti-feminism, why does EVERY female protagonist HAS to be a feminist and strong. Not every woman/girl in real life is. I'd rather read about a real character that is relatable than every female character having to be super woman.


*book*lover* Amy wrote: "I don't get why people feel the need to go on and on and on and on bashing Stephenie Meyer and her writing. All the posts on this site about the Twilight Saga have turned into bashing threads. If I..."


Well said.


message 19: by Izzy (new) - rated it 1 star

Izzy M. To add to the discussion...

PLEASE read this. The blogger counted references to Edward's beauty in Twilight with such wit, I almost peed myself laughing.

http://otahyoni.livejournal.com/13043...

I cannot articulate myself nearly as well as this woman did. Seriously the BEST and most hilarious "review" of Twilight. Ever.


Haidi Maybe some of the people writing their posts on here should take a look at their own use of the english language, their grammar and their own ability to put into words what they want to say.

Maybe one day when your all amazing famous authors, then your comments might hold some credibility, until then, I really don't think anyone on here can bash SM about her writing or her characters. She's obviously entertained millions of people world wide and I think that was her sole purpose.


Trina (Between Chapters) What do I think about her writing? I have no problems with it. I understand that the Twilight books weren't works of literary genius, and I do laugh at many parts of them. But she did capture the essence of teenage angst and first love. And that is where her strength lies. I mean, when I was Bella's age, I definitely felt some of the same things she did in the books. I have very much matured since then, but I can't hate the characters just because they are young and dumb, haha. What has hurt the series for me has been the movies, and the lead actors' complete disdain for the characters they play. It all seems like one big parody to me now, so I'm kind of over the whole series.

Feminism is all about a woman's right to make her own choices, and choosing to get married young and give up everything for love is not anti-feminist, so long as that choice is what you truly want and is not something forced on you by society. So, I have never understood that angle. I think Bella was dramatic, but oh well, it was what she wanted.

As far as the Host. I liked it and I think it doesn't need a sequel. However, if she does ever write one I will read it. I think this 'series' would do best if the next book/s focused on different characters and stories within the same world of the Host.


Tina J I personally like her books.

And she must be doing something right, because she's currently sitting on a mountain of millions due to her 'terrible' writing.

How does the saying go?
Each to their own!

You don't like her books or her writing, and that's okay.
Just don't 'try' to understand why others like it and let it be!
I'm only trying to save you time on the matter......lol.


Benjamin Smith If I said I haven't read Twilight or seen the movies, would you guys let me get away with that?


Nichole There's a saying that if someone has some haters, then they've done a great job. It's human nature; you can't expect everyone to like your work or approve of it. Just like we can't expect everyone to like Twilight. Frankly, if you want to bash someone's writing skills so much, then I would declare that YOU write a book, BETTER than hers. Granted, 99.9% of us on this site were be incapable of it, making Meyer's that much more successful at her writing AND imagination.


Tina J Nichole wrote: "There's a saying that if someone has some haters, then they've done a great job. It's human nature; you can't expect everyone to like your work or approve of it. Just like we can't expect everyone ..."

Very well said!
;-)


Darlene Etheridge i love her books.and youre really overthinking it.get a life!


message 27: by Benjamin (last edited May 16, 2012 01:46PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Benjamin Smith When you challenge people to write a better book, you're not setting the bar very high with Meyer. Her premise is good but her execution seems to be what people dislike about her.

The story is what grabs people but it is the writing that earns her all her haters. Stephen King said it best. "She can't write worth a darn."

Granted he wrote Cycle of the Werewolf and has little room to bash, but you can see the argument made on both sides.

By the way, I took the challenge and wrote a book of my own... ATLAS. So far nobody's picked me up and given me the chance to knock Ms. Meyer off her pile of millions.


Nichole Well, that's precisely the point Benjamin. Sure, you might be one of the .01% that actually wrote a book, but for it to succeed like Meyers is probably slim, regardless if people find her writing crappy. Plus, I gotta say, some of Kings work isn't worth any praise either. I find the movies based on his books way better than his actual books. But I'm sure it's what we can expect between someone who has written over 50 books for decades, vs. someone who's written 8 books in a decade.


message 29: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina Gracie wrote: "She's nooot even sure she'll write a seecond Host book because sh doesn't want to kill characters off. None of her books have good plots because of this and she can't write. She's like your average damsel in distress with out a reason to be distressed. She's anti- feminist."

I haven't read this novel, so I don't see any cogent correlations, and, consequently, I can't respond to this portion of your comment. I need an explanation as to why her decision not to write a sequel to it paints her as anti-feminist and weak.

Gracie wrote: "What do you guys think about her and her writing and why?"

I can, however, respond to this question. Meyer's writing has never jumped off of the page and hit me in the face. I would call it dry.

As for what I think about Meyer, I can't really say. I certainly wouldn't call her weak, for I don't personally know her.


message 30: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth I didn't like how she portrayed Bella as being miserable until Edward, then Jacob came along. She didn't really build any strong relatioships between the female characters. That said, it is her story to tell. But I read it as a 28 yr. old woman at the time, so my view on relationships may have been more mature than the high school character's. I think that Bella and Edward's relationship is one sided, but in the story he was a vampire so he probably knew best on some of it. I just don't see myself reading another Stephanie Meyers book, but it has more to do with my age than her writing.


Michelle Knox Little_miss_book_freak wrote: "Alot of authors become emotionally attached to their characters and that doesnt mean they are weak. They feel as though the characters are real just like how we feel when we're reading them. Only b..."

Perfectly put!


Lauren Gracie wrote: "She's nooot even sure she'll write a seecond Host book because sh doesn't want to kill characters off. None of her books have good plots because of this and she can't write. She's like your average..."

If you’re going to be so negative about an author, you should at least be polite enough to spell her name right :)


Gracie I changed the topic so it's less negative then...


S.L.J. I hate stories where the main character is driven by nothing more than a quest for love. It's pathetic.


Benjamin Smith Just because you make millions doesn't mean you deserve them.


message 36: by Angie Elle (new) - added it

Angie Elle Benjamin wrote: "When you challenge people to write a better book, you're not setting the bar very high with Meyer. Her premise is good but her execution seems to be what people dislike about her.

The story is wha..."


Hmmm...a few posts ago you claimed you hadn't read the 'Twilight' books so I'm curious as to what you're basing this on.


Benjamin Smith I didn't say I hadn't read them. I asked how fans would react if I said I hadn't read them.

Fans react thusly: "OMG, you have to read them. They are so awesome! Where have you been? Is there something wrong with you?"

So I read them. They were horrible books, but I read them so that people would stop telling me to read them. And now that I've read them they still wont shut up about them.

Look, I didn't like them. Its not me. Its the books. You like them. Its not the books. Its you. Something that distinguishes proper grammar and syntax from poor grammar and syntax doesn't work in your brain. You say "I can look past the flaws and see the greatness."

Why should you have to look past flaws if something is truly great?

You say I don't understand love or conflict or any of the things you've brought to the book that are not actually on the printed page.

I understand that love can be irrational, just like the fans of Stephanie Meyer. You'll love it no matter how bad it is for you and you'll argue with anyone who poses a cogent argument because you can't succumb to the notion that you've been duped and there's a woman sitting on millions making a mockery of American Literature with every further project she undertakes.


message 38: by Lauren (last edited May 16, 2012 10:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lauren Benjamin, firstly, it is possible to share an opinion without being rude; I’m sure Angie found the following phrasing rather impolite:

“You like them. Its not the books. Its you. Something that distinguishes proper grammar and syntax from poor grammar and syntax doesn't work in your brain,”

If we’re going to be fastidious, Benjamin, ‘its’ should have an apostrophe in it!

Secondly, you seem very sure of your own opinion for someone who rated ‘Stranded with a Cajun Werewolf’ four stars ;)


♥ Alexia -Team Malec ♥ her writing was excellent.

To all those haters out there, Have you ever written a book? A series? that was well enough to get published? That became one of the most well-known series ever? That was excellent enough to become a movie? That's what I thought!


♥ Alexia -Team Malec ♥ Oh, Gosh. are we talking about the host? i think i posted on the wrong post! sorry, to anyone that was offended!


Haidi No, not the wrong post necessarily Alexia, I think the original post was directed at Stephanie Meyer in general, not just in reference to the Host.

And I love your post, well said. I feel the same.


message 43: by Benjamin (last edited May 17, 2012 04:40AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Benjamin Smith Lauren wrote: "Benjamin, firstly, it is possible to share an opinion without being rude; I’m sure Angie found the following phrasing rather impolite:

“You like them. Its not the books. Its you. Something that di..."


My apologies for the its/it's debacle, Lauren. I'll be sure to have a literary agent, a copy-editor, and some beta readers proof all my posts from now on. However, if my glass house is constructed solely of a misused apostrophe, I think I'm safe enough sniping at Stephanie Meyer.

As for offending Angie. My comments were directed to the generic twi-hard; and seeing as this chain of posts falls under the heading "Good or Bad," I felt I could express myself with incivility and gusto.

If you're such a stickler for usage... watch Ms. Meyer's interviews with Oprah and Ellen where she talks about "Quarrying" literary agents and publishers. Or look at the "Preface" of her first book in the Twilight series and tell me why my confidence in a person who claims to have a degree in literature from Brigham Young is shaken.


message 44: by Benjamin (last edited May 17, 2012 04:52AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Benjamin Smith And what is a degree in literature anyway? You get a degree in English at most universities with an emphasis in a particular genre or period of literature. The fact that she claims to have this literature degree and yet claims to have never read a vampire story before penning Edward and Bella is suspect to me.

Edward is a monotonously Byronic character just like hundreds of male vampire protagonists and antagonists going back to the early 19th Century. He is mad, bad, and dangerous to know but he struggles to overcome his nature. I would argue that his struggle is compelling as are the back-stories of his other family members, but the issue is and always has been Bella.

Bella as a narrator is weak, wordy, detached, and unsympathetic. She sets a bad tone for the book and instills a negative stereotype of women as incomplete or somehow broken but for the ever-present and persistent love of another. As an ingenue she lacks ambition or drive. What are her long term goals, her dreams? Does she plan ahead? What are her beliefs? What great truth does she hold paramount and self-evident? Four books of 400-or-more pages and none of these questions, so far as I know, have been answered.


Lauren Benjamin wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Benjamin, firstly, it is possible to share an opinion without being rude; I’m sure Angie found the following phrasing rather impolite:

“You like them. Its not the books. Its you. So..."


I’m not sure there is ever a time when it is appropriate to be ‘uncivil,’ as you put it – even to Twi-hard fans. I’m not interested in disputing your opinion – it would be pointless – I just don’t think it was necessary to be rude (as stated before):

‘You like them. Its not the books. Its you. Something that distinguishes proper grammar and syntax from poor grammar and syntax doesn't work in your brain,’


Benjamin Smith That's blunt, Lauren; not uncivil. :)


message 47: by Benjamin (last edited May 17, 2012 05:01AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Benjamin Smith Ms. Meyer's modifiers meander miles from the verbs she modifies.


Lauren Benjamin wrote: "That's blunt, Lauren; not uncivil. :)"

I was quoting you, Benjamin – ‘I felt I could express myself with incivility’ :)


Benjamin Smith Okay, Lauren. You win. It was incivil. I don't give a damn about anyone's feelings when I'm talking about a book. Are you happy? Can we get back to the topic of discussion, now?

Stephanie Meyer: Good vs. Bad writing. AND GO!


Benjamin Smith (BTW, you'll notice your comment about Cajun Werewolf didn't ruffle my fur... That's because you're entitled to hate a book as much as I am.)


« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
back to top

all discussions on this book | post a new topic


Books mentioned in this topic

Twilight (other topics)
Marked (other topics)
The Hunger Games (other topics)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (other topics)
Nobody's Princess (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Richelle Mead (other topics)