You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > JUNE TOPPLER Unveiling!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 297) (297 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Judy (last edited Jun 09, 2012 07:54AM) (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5722 comments The next Toppler is June 10-16 (well, actually it ends 10 a.m. June 17th EST)

Its time to tipple and topple our TBRs again and this time we have a week to do it! And for some extra motivation, Toppler participants have the option of joining in on some team action. How does it work? Glad you asked!

First of all, we have the standard Toppler fare. The badges for reading achievements which are as follows:

Something old: Read a book from your TBR published before 1982.

Something new: Read a book from your TBR published within the last 3 years.

Something borrowed: Read a book listed on your TBR that is borrowed from the library, a friend, etc.

Something blue: This one is up to your imagination to interpret. You just have to be able to explain the connection. Blue cover? Makes you feel blue? Blue is part of the title? Author's name?

The Whole Enchilada You earn this if you read a book from your TBR for each category listed above.

Okay, now the new twist. (This is optional, not required to participate in the Toppler.) Teams. The Tipplers vs. The Topplers. Participants earn points based on books they read, completing the badges mentioned above and ... how many cups of tea they drink. The team that wins will receive a special badge to proudly display on their individual Wall of Fame pages. At the end of each reading day, participants will post their total of books read and cuppas drunk. The team totals will be updated daily. Note: Chatter on the boards amongst team members is highly encouraged. :-)

Here is the point system:

5 pts completion of one of the categories listed above: Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed; Something Blue.
10 pts completion of The Whole Enchilada.
3 pts for a book 400 or more pages
2 pts a book 300 or more pages
1 pt all other books less than 300 pages
5 pts for reading a trilogy (in addition to the single book total); an additional point for each book in a series over 3 books long
double points for each additional completion of a goal
1/2 pt for each cuppa drunk by a team member
25 bonus pts for the team when they reach 100 cuppas as a team.
10 pts additional for the first team to drink 100 cups of tea.

Mark June 10-16 on your calendar and buy stock in tea! Sign up for your team NOW!Please only sign up for one team as the Tipplers and Topplers are competing against one another.

Topplers sign up here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...
Tipplers sign up here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

And don't forget to vote for a name for our official Toppler tea. (Hurry! Voting for the tea name ends May 15th) You can vote here: http://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/12...

Anne (reachannereach) I'm in. I'm a tippler, too.

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 1679 comments Yay! Love the ideas. All set on my calendar. :)

Kimberly | 1969 comments I'm in for the toppler but I think I'll sit out the team part.

Tajma I'm in and going for The Whole Enchilada!! I don't drink tea, though....

Cheryl in CC NV (cherylllr) Tajma, you can still support your team just by reading.

How do I decide which team to join? I don't drink much tea and I'll be driving 2000 miles out to go see my mom that week, so I'm not sure how much reading I'll do. I'm glad the personal badges don't have page quotas. :)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5722 comments Cheryl, it doesn't matter which team you join. Whichever one grabs your fancy. Both teams will be doing the same thing.

Tajma, The Whole Enchilada will garner lots of points for your team even if you aren't a tea drinker. Don't let the tea drinking part discourage you from joining a team. :-)

Kimberly, I'm glad you are joining in. :-)

Pragya and Anne, no surprise that you two are tipplers! hehe

Cheryl in CC NV (cherylllr) Ok, I've pulled books from my shelves to fit, including a couple of back-ups in case some turn out to be unenjoyable. I even have a 'borrowed' that I can use - one of those 'read & return' paperbacks from the rack at the library that I didn't officially check out (and it's old, so if something happens to it nbd). So, in other words, I know what I'm reading in the motels, and I'm going for The Whole Enchilada!

Oh, but since I'll be mostly on the road, I won't be able to check in to the chatter very often. :( So maybe I shouldn't even join a team....

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5722 comments Join a team, please, Cheryl. We will work it out one way or the other. :-)

I'm impressed that you know what you will read. You are on the ball! Its great to see some Whole Enchiladas.

I'm going for the Whole Enchilada, too, and considering whether to read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

Mikki I'm in and I'm a tippler of all sorts...does only tea count? :)

Cheryl in CC NV (cherylllr) I signed up for Topplers, as currently they have fewer members.

Anne, you signed up for both teams, oops...

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5722 comments Mikki wrote: "I'm in and I'm a tippler of all sorts...does only tea count? :)"

For this Toppler, only tea in celebration of our soon having our own Toppler concoction of tea.:-)

Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "I signed up for Topplers, as currently they have fewer members.

Anne, you signed up for both teams, oops..."

Anne and I talked about it and it is straightened out now.:-) I'm glad you are joining in the team fun, Mikki and Cheryl!

Mikki Almeta can read over 900 pages a day and so she needs to be her own team! :)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5722 comments Mikki wrote: "Almeta can read over 900 pages a day and so she needs to be her own team! :)"

Haha I'm hoping the 900 pages a day gals will be spread out on both teams or one team will be doomed! LOL!

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 9937 comments Mikki wrote: "Almeta can read over 900 pages a day and so she needs to be her own team! :)"

I want to be on Almeta's team! But then, I'm a slow poke so she may not want me on her team.

I'll hold off until more people have signed up and then I'll try to even things up (if needed).

message 16: by jaxnsmom, Moderator (new)

jaxnsmom | 3643 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Tajma, you can still support your team just by reading.

How do I decide which team to join? I don't drink much tea and I'll be driving 2000 miles out to go see my mom that week, so I'm not sure h..."

Maybe I shouldn't say anything since you're part of the opposition, but what about audio books for the ride? They let me enjoy long rides (although that's beyond long). And think of all the 'pages' you could get through :)

message 17: by jaxnsmom, Moderator (new)

jaxnsmom | 3643 comments I'm so excited. My first week long toppler! Hmmm...I wonder if I could get off work that week. Now for some planning so I can do The Whole Enchilada.

Mikki jaxnsmom wrote: "I'm so excited. My first week long toppler! Hmmm...I wonder if I could get off work that week. Now for some planning so I can do The Whole Enchilada."

Um, Jaxnsmom, aren't you another member of the 900+ pages in 24 hours group? I think you should go to work. Please.

message 19: by Kat, Moderator (new)

Kat (KatZombie) | 1857 comments YAY another toppler - hopefully work will stop being quite so crazy by then so I can actually read something!

Now, what to read, what to read....

message 20: by jaxnsmom, Moderator (last edited May 13, 2012 11:19PM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 3643 comments Mikki wrote: "Um, Jaxnsmom, aren't you another member of the 900+ pages in 24 hours group? I think you should go to work. Please."

And maybe you should have joined the Tipplers :D I think a lot of my success in the 24 hour toppler was excitement over my first toppler. But I'll try and pace myself - maybe I'll do some tippling during the topper :)

Mikki jaxnsmom wrote: "...maybe I'll do some tippling during the topper :) ..."

Haha, yes! :)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5722 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "Tajma, you can still support your team just by reading.

How do I decide which team to join? I don't drink much tea and I'll be driving 2000 miles out to go see my mom that..."

All forms of reading are allowed, audio, e-book, paper book, graphic novels, if its reading a published book, its allowed. So, listen away. And...if I remember correctly, you were one of the 900-page ladies....:-) I think The Whole Enchilada would be easy peasy for you. :-)

Thanks, Janice. :-) I'm holding off with you, until I see how the teams fill out.

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5722 comments Mikki and jaxnsmom you are cracking me up with your tippling!

Hmmm..perhaps we could lobby Kat and her 900 pages a day. Haha just joking. No lobbying allowed, but maybe we could find out what her favorite tea is....hmmm....nah, no bribes. LOL!

Cheryl in CC NV (cherylllr) Audio books are a good idea, jaxnsmom. I'll see what I can figure out, thanks.

message 25: by Kat, Moderator (new)

Kat (KatZombie) | 1857 comments Judy wrote: "Mikki and jaxnsmom you are cracking me up with your tippling!

Hmmm..perhaps we could lobby Kat and her 900 pages a day. Haha just joking. No lobbying allowed, but maybe we could find out what her ..."

LOL! I've already chosen my team, just based on the team names.

My only challenge is finding something for the 'borrowed' category...but I have a plan *evil laugh*

message 26: by jaxnsmom, Moderator (new)

jaxnsmom | 3643 comments It wasn't until last night that I noticed the bridal theme for the achievements. Good play on the June wedding season Judy!

Hey Mikki - I listen to books 4-6 hours a day at work, so I'll definitely be working that week :D That should get me about 700 pages.

message 27: by jaxnsmom, Moderator (new)

jaxnsmom | 3643 comments Judy wrote: "The next Toppler is June 10-16

1/2 pt for each cuppa drunk by a team member"

Judy - is a cuppa equal to an 8 ounce cup? Does iced tea count? Just wondering 'cause a lot of days I pick up an iced tea on my way to work, and wondering if and how that will count.

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 2853 comments Mikki wrote: "Almeta can read over 900 pages a day and so she needs to be her own team! :)"

Lol As much as I like unwarranted adoration, I have to squash this rumor!

DO NOT Join my team if you think that I'm the ringer! It is probably the other half of this gene pool, Debra, that you should seek.☻

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 1679 comments Judy and Janice, aren't you going to be in teams?

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5722 comments Pragya wrote: "Judy and Janice, aren't you going to be in teams?"

Yes, we are just waiting to see how the teams shake out. We don't want to join a team and then find out the opposing team is short members.

Judy - is a cuppa equal to an 8 ounce cup? Does iced tea count? Just wondering 'cause a lot of days I pick up an iced tea on my way to work, and wondering if and how that will count.

You bet. Being summer, ice tea counts. I'm not picky about what form of tea as long as it is a tea drink. As far as cup size, I expect everyone to abide by the honor system and not use shot glasses even if they are a tippler. LOL! Use your regular size glass. :-)

LOL! I've already chosen my team, just based on the team names.

My only challenge is finding something for the 'borrowed' category...but I have a plan *evil laugh*

Sounds like a plan, Kat. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

message 31: by Almeta (last edited Jun 12, 2012 12:05PM) (new)

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 2853 comments Hmmm. What to pick? What to pick?
description

Oh L@@k! What a surprise!
description

361 = 1962
Bank Shot = 1972
A Likely Story
High Adventure
Trust Me on This One
Tomorrow's Crimes
Drowned Hopes=Blue 422 pages pub 1990
Humans
Don't Ask
What's The Worst That Could Happen?
The Ax
The Hook
Kahawa
Put A Lid On It
Get Real = borrowed from library
The Comedy is Finished = 2012

byyyy...drum roll please... Donald E. Westlake!

TaDa☺Donald E. Westlake

ETA
The Gates 296 pgs,October 6th 2009, blue

Trilogy
The Erye Affair 374 pgs, July 19th 2001, blue
Lost in a Good Book 399 pgs, January 1st 2002, blue
Well of Lost Plots 373 pgs, August 3rd 2004, blue

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 1679 comments Oh my gosh, Almeta! What a bookshelf. My my!

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 2853 comments Pragya wrote: "Oh my gosh, Almeta! What a bookshelf. My my!"

It is two books deep, so you only see the front bunch.

This is why I have to work on my "read from home library" challenge!

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5722 comments Love it, Almeta! That's all? (giggle) Of course, we all know Donald Westlake will be in the mix somewhere. :-)

message 35: by Almeta (last edited May 14, 2012 01:04PM) (new)

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 2853 comments Judy wrote: "Love it, Almeta! That's all? (giggle) Of course, we all know Donald Westlake will be in the mix somewhere. :-)"

I'm gonna wash that man right outta my hair, And send him on his way!

message 36: by jaxnsmom, Moderator (new)

jaxnsmom | 3643 comments Oooohhh Alameta, what fun! You'd better get busy on that 'read from home' challenge :) Looks like you need a toppler challenge every day.

The real question is, are those all of your books, or are there little piles sitting around here and there?

Snoozie Suzie (SnoozieSuzie) | 936 comments Goodness gracious to mercy, Almeta (as my nan would say).
I'm not very good at updating during the topplers so I'm not sure if I'm going to join a team.

message 38: by Almeta (last edited May 14, 2012 02:13PM) (new)

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 2853 comments You mean like this lovely three deep bedroom-scape?

[image error]!

Taking the fifth.

Mikki jaxnsmom wrote: "Hey Mikki - I listen to books 4-6 hours a day at work, so I'll definitely be working that week :D That should get me about 700 pages..."

Ah! I wish that I could listen to books, but I just tend to zone out after a while.

Mikki Almeta wrote: "It is two books deep, so you only see the front bunch.

This is why I have to work on my "read from home library" challenge! "

Okay, so now I don't feel as guilty about my own.

Almeta (MenFromMarrs) | 2853 comments Mikki wrote: "Okay, so now I don't feel as guilty about my own."

Is there a Toppler's Anonymous?

message 42: by jaxnsmom, Moderator (new)

jaxnsmom | 3643 comments Almeta wrote: "You mean like this lovely three deep bedroom-scape?

Taking the fifth."

Too late!

message 43: by jaxnsmom, Moderator (new)

jaxnsmom | 3643 comments Almeta wrote: "Mikki wrote: "Okay, so now I don't feel as guilty about my own."

Is there a Toppler's Anonymous?"

No, just a Tippler's Anonymous :~)

Mikki Almeta wrote: "Is there a Toppler's Anonymous?"

jaxnsmom wrote: "No, just a Tippler's Anonymous :~)"

I think that there might be need for both!

message 45: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 9937 comments It's so much fun to see others' bookshelves. I haven't finished unpacking my books yet.

Anu (AnuBhatia) | 26 comments In! and a tippler :)

Mary (goodreadscomMary_Edwards) | 8 comments Have enjoyed reading some comments. I need inspiration for sticking to my books. To introduce or re-introduce whichever the case may be as my memory is good for about 5 minutes-I'm Mary. At any moment I may be juggling a historical romance, a mindfullness meditation book, and a dog book or memoir…as examples. Maybe the mindfullness book should be the priority. ;-) OK-so hopefully you'll help me to keep focused. I'm sandwiched: caregiving my Mother (part-time) as she's still living on her own and two "boys" in college + one sweet little four-legged girl, and a two-legged husband (he's actually pretty self-sufficient).

Cheryl in CC NV (cherylllr) I find that if a book is too easy to put down, it should stay down. There are so many good books available, don't waste time on one you're not enjoying.

That being said, with all you have going on, maybe you'd benefit by carving out a slot of time to call your own, for reading. A time when you'll not schedule anything else, and go into a room where there's no internet or tv, so you can focus.

I don't watch *any* tv. That frees up lots of time and energy and money! For the times when I want something easy, like tv is for some people, I read children's books.

Judy (patchworkcat) | 5722 comments Glad to see some new faces joining in. Hey, Anu!:-)

Mary, you sound like a busy lady. The Toppler may give you a little bit of a break from all that you have going on.

Robin | 150 comments I have never tried one of these...I'm thinking about joining in...but I do not drink tea really. I mean I have before but I personally prefer coffee! :) I don't know if I'd do the group thing because that seems confusing to me...a bit undecided. Perhaps I'll decide as it gets closer

« previous 1 3 4 5 6