Making Connections YA Edition discussion

Group Talk > Suggestions

Comments (showing 1-36 of 36) (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheri, Book Ninja (last edited May 11, 2012 08:16PM) (new)

Sheri | 1632 comments Mod
Comments and helpful suggestions are welcome here!
Photobucket

Amanda Day (Amanda_Day) | 22 comments I was just wondering if, under the authors corner section, we could start a new topic in which authors can post the first paragraph of their books? It might be interesting and fun to see if the first paragraph draws people in.

What do you think? :)

message 3: by Tana, The Fun One (new)

Tana (tana_t) | 2347 comments Mod
I think its a great idea, I've been away and had no internet so once I am caught up I will go make a post.

message 4: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new)

I'll do it Tana :)

message 5: by Tana, The Fun One (new)

thanks Sheri, I'm trying to get caught up, one day without the net has put me behind on some of the posts I do.

Amanda Day (Amanda_Day) | 22 comments Yay, I'm glad you thought it was a good idea, I'm excited to read some :)

message 7: by Tana, The Fun One (new)

great Amanda come up with some more fun topics ....lol

Amanda Day (Amanda_Day) | 22 comments Tana wrote: "great Amanda come up with some more fun topics ....lol"

Er, we could have a 'if you liked....' recommendations thread where members could post sort of similar books. For example I could go on and post 'if you liked Harry Potter, you'll love the Septimus Heap books'. That might not be the best example, but hopefully you get the idea! It could be a good way to find new books that are like ones we have already enjoyed :)

Gayatri | 21 comments Amanda wrote: "Tana wrote: "great Amanda come up with some more fun topics ....lol"

Er, we could have a 'if you liked....' recommendations thread where members could post sort of similar books. For example I cou..."

I totally love this idea. This way we can find books that we would likely read best!

Mirely (rumor_has_it) | 18 comments Hi y'all!

I was wondering if the those books being asked for reviews could also include page number with the description. It helps me to figure out better if I can commit to reading/reviewing a certain book. My schedule is really hectic. :-/

message 11: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new)

That's a good idea Mirely. We can add page numbers for the books that have them. Many of them that aren't out in print yet don't have page numbers listed.

You can also click on the bookcover in the first thread of the post and that will take you to the book's GR page to find the page numbers.

Mirely (rumor_has_it) | 18 comments That is very true but like you mentioned a lot of them don't have page numbers listed in GR. However, if they send e-arcs in pdf or epub there is a page number created with those formats. Just to get an idea. Any little bit helps.

message 13: by Tana, The Fun One (new)

Sounds great I suppose we can ask the authors in our email when they sign up how many pages. I will try to add it to my emails and see how they respond.

Patricia Hamill (Patricia_Hamill) | 138 comments I noticed that page count changes quite a bit once you format your book for print. My first went from just about ninety APA style pages to something like 140 when I adjusted it for trim. So, if you're asking for a page count, I'd suggest specifying 8.5x11 and whether you want double spaced, font 12 or something like that to keep that count meaningful.

By the way, how do you convert to epub?

message 15: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new)

Thanks Patricia. I've been taking the page count off of the book's GR page, but I've noticed there are differences based on the format of the book.

Patricia Hamill (Patricia_Hamill) | 138 comments Yes, that count can vary drastically. I don't think it's important to specify how many pages in the version provided for review, just how many pages when that content's page count is determined.

Kimberly Brockman (KimBrockman) | 4 comments Spring is here! *SALE* on my recently released Young Adult Paranormal Romance, Raven.
Only .99 now thru April 1st Raven (Raven Series #1) by Kimberly Brockman

Get it ONLY on Amazon for .99!
http://www.amazon.com/Raven-Series-eb...

Connect with me here: www.facebook.com/RavenSeries and www.twitter.com/KimBrockman

Happy Reading!

K.D. Ferguson (KDFerguson) | 18 comments Check out my new release Torn True Love!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...

I appreciate all the love and support!!!

Dianne | 5 comments Amanda wrote: "I was just wondering if, under the authors corner section, we could start a new topic in which authors can post the first paragraph of their books? It might be interesting and fun to see if the fir..."
where would be the adventure of reading the book? For myself it has never made a difference as to whether of nor not I read the first paragraph, I'm either interested in the story line or I'm not

message 20: by Tana, The Fun One (new)

Hi Dianne I actually seen something like that done on a blog, its a great idea. you can start the thread if you want. If you need my help let me know.

Gabby | 63 comments Actually, I have a question...What is the difference between "Making Connections" and "Making Connections YA Edition?"
Does the first one have no YA books in them? And the YA edition does? I've been wondering this for a while.

message 22: by Tana, The Fun One (new)

you got it Gabby, Making Connections was getting so big so we decided to make making connections ya edition and list all ya books.

Gabby | 63 comments So there are absolutely no YA books in the Making Connections Group? Thanks for the answer by the way!!

Roland Cheek (goodreadscomroland_cheek) | 1 comments A few years ago a high school librarian told me, "Roland, you write books these boys love, and some of the girls too. Thanks for sharing stories few authors cover".
I didn't actually write Learning To Talk Bear for a YA audience but I know I was interested in the outdoors and wildlife, plus many YA books left me feeling 'written down to'. Therefore I feel all of my books fit the YA as well as adult. The books are adventure, and excitement on a level to intrigue the reader. Send your boys, or students on over. The books are available for Kindle or print.

Hatsunekai Aribal | 16 comments Hmmm... YA is becoming more popular nowadays. This is a very good topic actually. I remember how people around me used to not read books. Nowadays they're competing over books, who borrows first and such xD

Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire | 96 comments Hi I just have a question. What are the differences between the ebook versions of the ARC's? I have a kindle so which one should I use?

Tiffany | 2 comments I would like to submit my book series for review. It is an MG Fantasy/Adventure. I'm a little confused about where a MG would fit. It mentioned to list children's books here from the main group, but then only mentions YA here. Is there separate area for MG?

message 28: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new)

Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire wrote: "Hi I just have a question. What are the differences between the ebook versions of the ARC's? I have a kindle so which one should I use?"

Kindle = Mobi
Nook = ePub

PDF can be read on either of those as well as (as far as I am aware) any other e-reader (correct me if I'm wrong here).

message 29: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new)

Tiffany wrote: "I would like to submit my book series for review. It is an MG Fantasy/Adventure. I'm a little confused about where a MG would fit. It mentioned to list children's books here from the main group, bu..."

We don't have a separate area for middle grade. They are listed in the genre they fit into in this group (yours would be listed in Fantasy or Adventure). When we list the book we do mention in the post that it is middle grade. Do you think it would be better to have a separate folder specifically for MG?

message 30: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 01, 2013 10:24PM) (new)

Tiffany | 2 comments Sheri wrote: "Tiffany wrote: "I would like to submit my book series for review. It is an MG Fantasy/Adventure. I'm a little confused about where a MG would fit. It mentioned to list children's books here from th..."

In some cases, yes. The audience is for 8-12 year olds. I've had adults say they would enjoy my book if they were 11. I know Harry Potter started as an MG, but keeping in mind it is written for a pre-teen, and in some cases, high 8 year olds. Many parents read books before giving them to their children. It might help to separate so they can note the differences between the types of books.

A middle grade novel tends to deal with social development issues important to that age such as self confidence, moral development, and role models. YAs deal with more mature issues. Some kids may not be ready for them yet. Again though, I think the separation would be mostly for parents and grandparents to easily shop for the different books.

message 31: by Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire (last edited Aug 04, 2013 09:10AM) (new)

Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire | 96 comments I have a question. How do I put a PDF and the MOBI on my kindle?

Kaitlin (Reading is My Treasure) (KaitlinS16) You need to connect your kindle (this is what I have) and transfer the files from your computer to the device directly. (If there's another way, I don't know it).

message 33: by Tana, The Fun One (new)

If you have a amazon account you can add your own personal email address to your accepted or approved email list.

Go to your account

and find out your kindle email address - mine is something like tana12@kindle.com

then go to manage your kindle, and click on Personal Document Settings - in here you will see a spot that says Approved Personal Document E-mail List

Here add your own personal email account to that list.

From here you can email your kindle all your epub and pdf books in the subject line type in convert. In less then a few minutes your pdf book is sitting on your kindle.

ONce the set up is done you just email your kindle address all your arr books.

Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire | 96 comments I have a question. are we allowed to abandon a book? I'm reading one that I just really don't like and I just wanna know the policy on this. thanks

message 35: by Sheri, Book Ninja (new)

Joanne, it would be nice if you could send a message to the author letting them know that the book isn't for you and you don't wish to finish it. I'm sure they would understand - we all have different tastes :)

If you're not comfortable with that, just send me or Tana a quick message to let us know which book so we can cross you off the list and let the author know. Thanks!

Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire | 96 comments ok thanks. I will keep going with the book for now. just wanted to know the policy. thanks

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Raven (other topics)