I Feel Bad about My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman I Feel Bad about My Neck discussion

Not crazy about this book

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:22AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Diane Tiernan I'm not sure that even if you were in the target audience (I'm not there yet!) you would have a better appreciation. I wasn't sure what the point of the book was. It was equivalent to the diary of a sixty-something woman. I love Nora Ephron's work as a general rule. I did not love this book.

message 2: by Malbadeen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:22AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Malbadeen I gave this book to my mother in law for Christmas. I don't think she knows who Nora Ephron is and it's odd but I never received a thank you note from her maybe it's because:
#1. she is on a medication that caused her to gain a lot of weight and her neck really does look bad.
#2. she doesn't like me.
#3. I'm divorcing her son and she thinks this was a passive/agressive move on my part (which, it seriously was not).
????

message 3: by Barbara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:22AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Barbara I wasn't crazy about this book either. It was given to me as a gift. I listened to Ephron read it on CD and I wondered if that was a mistake because her voice was rather whiney. The first essay or two were funny and then it seemed they became more and more depressing.

message 4: by Sheila (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

Sheila That's hilarious..yes, I'm in the target audience and yes, I would take the reciept of this book from a divorcing in-law as a passive/agressive move! ;) And!!! I'm not crazy about my neck, and haven't been since I turned 50!

Ruth This was one of the funniest books I've ever read and I read a lot! I was sitting in the library the other day and couldn't stop laughing. I'm not yet 50, but could relate. Especially to the pocket book thing!

Helen Definitely a funny book. In fact, I can't remember the last time that I read a book that actually brought out more than a smile, let alone a belly laugh! Since reading this book, I have noticed that it offers a great frame of reference to the little things in life that can drag you down.

Laura I do think it helps if you're in the target audience for this book. I had to get it because I hate my neck, too, and have recently realized why Katherine Hepburn always wore turtlenecks after she reached a certain age.

If "hot flashes" sounds like something sexual to you...if your mother uses Retin-A and you use Clearasil...if your joints don't make noises...this book will probably not reach you.

message 8: by Kara (new)

Kara Ripley I am 24 and read this book last year. Although I am clearly not the target audience I really liked this book and was sad that it was so short. I felt like I was talking to an older wiser version of me and my friends; I could see us complaining about things in the same way.

I told my mom about it and she read it and laughed the whole time. I think a lot of the humor is just that she is so honest with how she feels. It is also therapeutic to hear others little qualms about their bodies.

Lisafliny I thought it was so funny! But I'm "only" 42. Maybe it hits too close to home for someone 5 or 10 years older.

Glenda Ricord I was somewhat disappointed in this book. I expected it to be funnier because she has written better books. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't my favorite

Lorrie I loved this book. It's the first book I've read by Ephron and will now read another. I'm definitely in the target audience.

Heather I'm not in the target audience, but I thought the book was well written, strong and worth reading. You just need to know two things. One, it isn't humorous - not a comedy book. Two, it isn't about aging or face creams, that is just the first essay to get you into her thoughts.
I listened to it, and it could be that the reader added to the experience.

Cornelia DeDona I'm older and parts of this book really hit home--but you have to have a sense of humor about aging--we all have to face it sooner or later! Let's face it--we women don't age as well as our male counterparts-which is why mine is eleven years older and near-sighted. grin,

Patrice Loved, loved, loved this book! Yes, I'm 61 so that may have something to do with it. I also became obsessed with finding cabbage strudel. Searched high and low and finally made my own. Didn't care for it. Then, on a trip to New York I stopped by that very bakery that Ephron raved about. Still not crazy about it but what could possible come close to her description?

Carole I thought this book was so human and funny especially since I have been a member of the grumpy old women brigade for awhile now .....and yes I hate my neck!

Patrice You know, I kept referring to this book as "I Hate my Neck" and then I realized she called it "I feel bad about my Neck" not "I hate my neck". I think it is a better title. It's more than just hating your neck. It's about feeling bad.

message 17: by Cateline (new) - added it

Cateline Oh man, I have to go back and reread it, I loved it at the time, laughed like crazy and empathized totally. I am the age and I agree, one has to be here to fully appreciate the book.
I was laughing and nodding my head in affirmation the whole time. :)

Linda I though that it was great. I laughed out loud through the whole book.

And I was probably in my early to mid thirties when I read it. Nora Ephron was on Oprah to promote it years ago and I decided to pick it up. I can't say that I related to everything in the story but I could appreciate what she was going through.

message 19: by Cateline (new) - added it

Cateline It was a late discovery for me. I only found it a couple of years ago, and probably only picked it up because I'd been particularly vain about my neck in my youth. /silly grinning/ I love the picture on the front.....her holding the turtleneck up so high. /laughing, it's sad, but true!/

message 20: by Leslie (new) - added it

Leslie The title drew me in and I stuck around because it was indeed laugh out loud funny. And yes, I am in the target audience. I'm sure that definitely add to one's enjoyment of the book. I'd read it again.

Marilyn Heyman My book group read this last month and no one liked it. We are all different ages.

message 22: by Cateline (new) - added it

Cateline Marilyn wrote: "My book group read this last month and no one liked it. We are all different ages."

What a shame!

message 23: by kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

kate I really thought it was funny but then I'm over 50 and hate my neck.

Nancy Absolutely hilarious. I saw Nora Ephron at Seattle's Town Hall a few years ago as part of the book tour for this book. She was engaging, funny and very down-to-earth.

Mlane I love Nora Ephron and her work. I thought the book was funny- yep over 50.

message 26: by Jane (last edited Oct 30, 2014 10:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jane Hanser I loved the book - and also am over 50 (and then some). It was my first Nora Ephron book. It's not a novel, it's short essays, so it has a different flow about it. Would I have liked it were I 20? Probably not. I might not even have enjoyed it so much 10 years ago. But I liked teen books when I was 14 that I wouldn't enjoy now, though I would appreciate that they're just right for teens. Ms. Ephron definitely captures experiences that millions of women struggle with and allows us to laugh at ourselves. And I hope that she brought that same ability to laugh to her sad and ultimately tragic fatal illness. Somehow I believe she did.

Nancy Funny, funny book. And Nora Ephron reads it so it's even funnier.

message 28: by kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

kate Read this years ago when it first came out and I loved it. Later on I listened to the recorded version. Even funnier. But I was in my 50's then so I'm sure that helped.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

I Feel Bad about My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman (other topics)