Chaos Reading discussion

Tony Burgess
This topic is about Tony Burgess
About Authors > Tony Burgess

Comments (showing 1-9)    post a comment »
dateUp arrow    newest »

message 9: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance] (rubytombstone) | 3260 comments Mod
I would absolutely start with Pontypool Changes Everything. I don't know about the whole Bewdley thing, since I haven't read the others yet, but I do know they're not written as an actual trilogy. Pontypool was the first novel Burgess wrote either way.

message 8: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 1177 comments Mod
Ruby wrote: "I loved the movie, but it's a totally different thing to the book. ...There's no trilogy, at least that I'm aware of"

I also loved the movie of Pontypool and have the book in my stack. I was also a little confused about the trilogy thing. I've seen The Hellmouths Of Bewdley, Pontypool Changes Everything, and Caesarea listed as "The Bewdley Trilogy" (and also as "The Pontypool Trilogy"). I think because the all take place in Bewdley? Not really fit to comment as I haven't read them.

Is "Pontypool" the one you'd recommend starting with?

message 7: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

It's definitely worth giving the series a shot. I've read the first 2, & found that both took a while to really take off, but both really NAILED it in the last 25%. Moody's a smart writer.

message 6: by Melki (new)

Melki | 33 comments I actually have Hater on my shelf. I'll move it to one of the piles in my bedroom, and maybe get to it in a few months.

message 5: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Yeah, it's definitely unique to the genre. And the actor that played Grant Mazzy, Stephen McHattie, has an amazing face for character acting. I really think you'll dig the book. There's so much to be excited about.

I guess I raised the David Moody Hater series, because they're a bit similar - zombies that aren't really zombies, at least in the usual sense. In his series, part of the population starts attacking people with astonishing ferocity. They're christened "Haters" in the press, but they seem to be responding to the hate they perceive in those who have been left "Unchanged". A bit more philosophical take on the zombie.

message 4: by Melki (new)

Melki | 33 comments No clue what I was thinking of.
I probably wasn't.

Still planning on reading the book. I really liked the Grant Mazzy character. It's rare that you get to meet someone that complicated in a film. For a "zombie" movie with very little zombie action, that was one of the most intense experiences I can recall.

message 3: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

I loved the movie, but it's a totally different thing to the book. Burgess wrote both, but the book came first. Apparently it was written more as a personal project, and without any intention of releasing it publicly. It doesn't centre on the radio station & Grant Mazzy character like the film does. What's amazing (apart from the beautiful writing) is that he gives you the POV of people whose brains don't function like ours and makes it utterly realistic.

There's no trilogy, at least that I'm aware of. You might be thinking of the David Moody books perhaps?

message 2: by Melki (new)

Melki | 33 comments I loved the Pontypool movie, but so far Burgess resides only in my to-read list.

I know that's a trilogy. Is that one the first in the series?

message 1: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

One of my newly found literary loves is Tony Burgess. I have read three of his books: Pontypool Changes Everything - one of my all-time favourites, People Live Still in Cashtown Corners and Idaho Winter.

None of these books is perfect, I think Burgess tends to get carried away with his own enthusiasm, but they all have flashes of brilliance, and they all contain a strong element of metafiction. Pontypool is extraordinary on so many different levels. Plus it has zombies! :)

Has anyone else read any of Burgess' books, or formed any strong opinions?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Pontypool Changes Everything (other topics)
People Live Still in Cashtown Corners (other topics)
Idaho Winter (other topics)
Hater (other topics)
The Hellmouths Of Bewdley (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tony Burgess (other topics)