Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Mrs. V.A. Milligan
This topic is about Mrs. V.A. Milligan
Suggestions > Biographical information about author Mrs. V.A. Milligan

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna | 8 comments With regard to the author profiled here:
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...
The book you have on file, Astrological Birthday Readings And Book Of Useful Information, is actually a re-print of a book published in 1912. I got hold of the original 1912 book and noted it was published in Terre Haute, IN (my hometown.) I was intrigued and wanted to find out more besides a name. And I did. Going through old Terre Haute records, I compiled some biographical information with sources cited so that the information can be verified. I'd like to submit what I have compiled to the site, but without librarian status, I can't do so. I'd like to share what I have with someone who has librarian status. I can either email the files I have, or copy and paste what I can into this thread. My email address is cutlelilscavenger@yahoo.com if anyone would like what I have found.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 23999 comments Mod
I edited the original publication date to 1912.

Copy-and-pasting here is fine, as any librarian with time can take care of adding the info to the author's profile.

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna | 8 comments Mrs. V.A. Milligan was born Rose C. Houts in 1869 in Rock Creek Township, in Wells, Indiana.(1)
In 1903, she married Victor A. Milligan(2) of Ohio, and during the early 20th century she traveled throughout the Midwest under the name of Madam Roseline(3), working as a palmist, astrologer, psychic, and spiritual advisor.(4) She resided in Indianapolis, IN, Terre Haute, IN, and finally West Terre Haute, IN(5) where she died in 1941.(6) She is buried in Bethesda Cemetery in West Terre Haute, IN.(7)

Sources:
(1) Maiden name and birth date from Ancestry.com; first name Rose found in 1912 Library Of Congress Copyright Catalogue, p. 364
(2) Ancestry.com
(3) Original 1912 copy of Astrological Birthday Readings And Book Of Useful Information, published by Terre Haute Printing Co. March 1912
(4) 1906 Indianapolis, IN city directory; 1910 Terre Haute, IN census; Litchfield (IL) Daily Union, April 2, 1928
(5) 1906 Indianapolis, IN city directory; 1910 Terre Haute, IN census
(6) Obituaries; Terre Haute Tribune, June 13, 1941, Page 6
(7) Findagrave.com

Photobucket

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna | 8 comments Also, since you edited it so it states it was first published in 1912, can you also add that the first publisher was Terre Haute Printing Co.? Thank you! :)

message 5: by Mel (new)

Mel (Soireb) | 224 comments I added the information to her profile, you can check it out using the same link on the first post.

The only publisher house that can be added is the one corresponding to the particular edition, in this case Cosimo Classics. However, you say that you have a copy of the original book? If so, that edition can be added as Alternate Cover Edition and combined together so that it has all the correct information. You can manually add it, or you can copy the information here and someone can add it for you. If you choose to add it yourself, you need to let us know so that we can combine it with the current edition on the database, which is a manual process.

Rivka, I tried to use the HTML tag to make the numbers superscript but it didn't work. Is it not supported? Just wondering.

message 6: by Mel (new)

Mel (Soireb) | 224 comments I cannot make the date of birth stick unless I enter a full birth date (Month/Day/Year). If I put only the year it doesn't saves. The only thing I could think of is to either leave it blank, since it appears on the biography, or enter January/1 as a provisionary date.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Super/subscript are not supported HTML. Only the things listed in the "some HTML is ok" lightbox work on GR.

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna | 8 comments Oh! I actually do have that. It's January 20, 1869. :)

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna | 8 comments Hello! I have added the other edition manually as suggested by Mel. Please merge the two editions. :) Thanks!!

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Anna wrote: "Hello! I have added the other edition manually as suggested by Mel. Please merge the two editions. :) Thanks!!"

Done.

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

And also added DOB.

message 12: by Anna (new)

Anna | 8 comments You guys are awesome! Thank you so much!!

unread topics | mark unread