Erudite Readers discussion

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Debates > Banned Books

Comments (showing 1-50 of 214) (214 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Michele.♥, The bookoholic! (last edited May 08, 2012 06:05PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Michele.♥ (mcgxo95) | 4880 comments Mod
Here are the top 10 banned books in American schools since many parents believe they are controversial.
1) The Adventure of Huckleberry Finn
2) The Catcher in the Rye
3) To Kill A Mockingbird
4)Bridge to Terbitha
5)The Lord of Flies
6) Of Mice and Men
7)The Color Purple
8)Harry Potter
9) Slaughterhouse Five
10)The Bluest Eyes

Have many of these books have you read ? Does your school read any of these? Do you think books should be banned? If so, which of these should or should not be banned and why?

Karina (2187) I don't think anything should ever be banned! Honestly i don't find anything controversial about any of these.

Morgan (morgzsydney) | 43 comments My class has read The Catcher in the Rye, To Kill A Mockingbird and Of Mice and Men in English 1 Honors. In English 2 Honors they read Slaughterhouse 5 and Lord of The Flies.

Books should not be banned, people should not be denied the right to read.

message 4: by Michele.♥, The bookoholic! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Morgan wrote: "My class has read The Catcher in the Rye, To Kill A Mockingbird and Of Mice and Men in English 1 Honors. In English 2 Honors they read Slaughterhouse 5 and Lord of The Flies.

Books should not be b..."

I agree! There's this week dedicated to having the freedom to being able to read whatever you want. It's from september 30 to October 6. We should celebrate it in our book club :)

message 5: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jon (scottreadsit) | 5691 comments Mod
kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Morgan wrote: "My class has read The Catcher in the Rye, To Kill A Mockingbird and Of Mice and Men in English 1 Honors. In English 2 Honors they read Slaughterhouse 5 and Lord of The Flies.

Books ..."

I have never heard of the Bluest Eyes.

Cupcake Bookworm (cupcakebookworm) harry potter is banned? what does controversial mean?

message 7: by Karina (last edited May 08, 2012 09:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karina (2187) I didn't know Harry Potter was banned either...I know the Christian community have a problem with it because it goes against their religion or belief of something.... i don't get it.
This lady explains a little bit about it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSwZJ5...

a controversy is a dispute or argument concerning a matter of opinion

Karina (2187) I understand many books are banned because it has too much violent or sexual content or because its discusses issues such as racism, drugs, ect.
but banning the book is not going to stop kids from hearing about it or stirring ideas or opinions in their minds. These are things you see and hear of in everyday life! You can even see worse things on most tv shows.
Plus every writer deserves to have freedom of speech and freedom of press. if someone has a problem with the topic in certain books then fine don't read them but those books shouldn't be kept away from those of us who have an open mind and want to read them.
Book gives us knowledge.

Katrina Welsh (KatrinaWelsh_) I've only read a couple. But I didn't know any of those were actually banned. I wouldn't expect them to be. I know there was some controversy with HP when the last book came out.

Karina (2187) By the way guys, to avoid conflict just remember to be mature and respectful while debating this issue. No offending anyone or their opinions. Not directed at anyone specifically but i felt the need to say it since we probably will get into topics people have strong opinions about. (:

message 11: by Michele.♥, The bookoholic! (new) - rated it 2 stars

I can see why huck finn was banned since at times it was really violent and had very offensive language. I don't think it should be banned however.I think that this book is a very famous American literature and even though it shows how brutally slaves were treated,it is only showing history.

message 12: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 2 stars

I think banning books is useless. No matter what you can never fully protect people from the world. People curse, do drugs, are violent, and are racist in the real world. I think people should let their kids read it but they should discourage their children from mimicing incidents

❤Rose (◕‿◕✿) (black_rose) | 532 comments HARRY POTTER IS BANNED???!???

That is the most outrageous thing I have EVER heard.... k, not the MOST but....one of them.

message 14: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rose... wrote: "HARRY POTTER IS BANNED???!???

That is the most outrageous thing I have EVER heard.... k, not the MOST but....one of them."

Yep it's banned for witchcraft and wizardry.

message 15: by Michele.♥, The bookoholic! (last edited May 10, 2012 08:32AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rose... wrote: "HARRY POTTER IS BANNED???!???

That is the most outrageous thing I have EVER heard.... k, not the MOST but....one of them."

Yeah that's probably one of the most ridiculous books on this list banned!

message 16: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 2 stars

kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Rose... wrote: "HARRY POTTER IS BANNED???!???

Yeah that's probably one of the most ridiculous books on..."

What's bad about believing in magic?

Karina (2187) Its because in the Bible it says that any sort of magic or anything related to that is detestable to the Lord. (I don't read the Bible and never have so I'm not even sure if this is true, its just what I've read, so please correct me if i am wrong)

❤Rose (◕‿◕✿) (black_rose) | 532 comments Karina wrote: "Its because in the Bible it says that any sort of magic or anything related to that is detestable to the Lord. (I don't read the Bible and never have so I'm not even sure if this is true, its just ..."

If even that is true (cos i don't know either), it's not like EVERYONE in the school will be a christian or whatever...

Karina (2187) The thing is that if they are against it, then they probably want to make themselves clear on their opinions and hope others see what they see and make them believe they are sinning because the Bible makes references to magic and how its wrong or whatever. So it's not just that they don't want other Christians to read HP, they don't anyone else to read them because in their eyes that would be going against what God and the Bible say.

((I'm not saying every Christian is like this but some are so dont freaking attack me okay?))

message 20: by Michele.♥, The bookoholic! (new) - rated it 2 stars

I still don't see why it would be banned! It's a children's fiction book. People are always looking too into books and their "meanings". So far I don't see anything wrong with this book..

message 21: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 2 stars

Yeah I don't understand people who write reviews longer than the entire children books (people who write reviews for books like Cat in the Hat, and Rainbow Fish).

message 22: by Michele.♥, The bookoholic! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Scott wrote: "Yeah I don't understand people who write reviews longer than the entire children books (people who write reviews for books like Cat in the Hat, and Rainbow Fish)."

Hahah i see so many of those! I don't get why TKAM is banned either

message 23: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 2 stars

kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Scott wrote: "Yeah I don't understand people who write reviews longer than the entire children books (people who write reviews for books like Cat in the Hat, and Rainbow Fish)."

Hahah i see so man..."

kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Scott wrote: "Yeah I don't understand people who write reviews longer than the entire children books (people who write reviews for books like Cat in the Hat, and Rainbow Fish)."

Hahah i see so man..."

I think it's banned for the language and the racism

message 24: by Michele.♥, The bookoholic! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Scott wrote: "kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Scott wrote: "Yeah I don't understand people who write reviews longer than the entire children books (people who write reviews for books like Cat in the Hat, and Rainbow F..."

I guess the language is iffy but the plotline the book is why everyone should read it.

message 25: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 2 stars

kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Scott wrote: "kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Scott wrote: "Yeah I don't understand people who write reviews longer than the entire children books (people who write reviews for books like Cat in the Hat,..."
The plot was really intense!

message 26: by Michele.♥, The bookoholic! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Scott wrote: "kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Scott wrote: "kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Scott wrote: "Yeah I don't understand people who write reviews longer than the entire children books (people who write reviews for ..."

Yeah it was!

Why was bridge to terbitha banned? I read part of it and got really bored.

message 27: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 2 stars

kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Scott wrote: "kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Scott wrote: "kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Scott wrote: "Yeah I don't understand people who write reviews longer than the entire children books (people who writ..."

kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Scott wrote: "kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Scott wrote: "kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Scott wrote: "Yeah I don't understand people who write reviews longer than the entire children books (people who writ..."

Hmm.. maybe the ending?

message 28: by Michele.♥, The bookoholic! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Scott wrote: "kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Scott wrote: "kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Scott wrote: "kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Scott wrote: "Yeah I don't understand people who write reviews longer than the entire child..."

What's the ending..put into spoiler

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

One question, how was Bridge to Terabithia band. I didn't care much for the books or movies, but how was it bad or controversial?

message 30: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 2 stars

kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Scott wrote: "kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Scott wrote: "kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Scott wrote: "kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Scott wrote: "Yeah I don't understand people who write reviews longer than th..."

(view spoiler)

Xdyj As far as I know all of them are good books (I haven't read 4 and 6 but have heard of them) and many of them (like 1,2,3,6,7,10) are sometimes called "great American novel" or something like that IIRC. imho no book shall ever be banned from school and most of these books should be on the suggested reading list. :)

message 32: by Michele.♥, The bookoholic! (last edited May 16, 2012 05:48PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bridge to Terbitha was banned because "of the disrespect the children show to adults, the confusion of combining fantasy with reality, and profanity."

Kass | 46 comments I think this is all very silly. No one should ban books. They are wonderful, a door to imagination. Just because some people don't like those books, doesn't mean they have a right to ban it from those who do.

message 34: by Michele.♥, The bookoholic! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kass wrote: "I think this is all very silly. No one should ban books. They are wonderful, a door to imagination. Just because some people don't like those books, doesn't mean they have a right to ban it from th..."

I agree especially the reasons are so silly. Did you see the one for bridge for terbitha above?

message 35: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 2 stars

kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "Kass wrote: "I think this is all very silly. No one should ban books. They are wonderful, a door to imagination. Just because some people don't like those books, doesn't mean they have a right to b..."
The reason was so dumb.

☮Artemis(I'm a Bro)♬✨ (Thalia98) | 287 comments In school, I've read Harry Potter, To Kill a Mockingbird, Bridge to Teribithia, and Lord of the Flies.

message 37: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lucky! I am reading Catcher in the Rye and it's torturous

message 38: by Michele.♥, The bookoholic! (new) - rated it 2 stars

Scott wrote: "Lucky! I am reading Catcher in the Rye and it's torturous"

Another one of the most banned books..

Karina (2187) I don't think I've ever come across anything that I thought was too graphic or contained inappropriate subjects/language or anything of that sort. Have you guys?

☮Artemis(I'm a Bro)♬✨ (Thalia98) | 287 comments me either, though huckleberry fin has the n word in it.

Tiffie I think it´s ridicolous to ban such books, as the reality is often a lot worse. I´ve read "when rabbit howls", which is pretty much the autobiography of a woman with multiple personality disorder. Also it contains the reasons that caused her disorder...in graphic details...

Tiffie In school(here in germany) we read the first 7 books on that list, as well as John Grsham´s A Time to Kill and Stephen King´s The Green Mile

message 43: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 2 stars

Is a Time to Kill good? I would like to read it!

Karina (2187) Isn't is a movie as well!?

message 45: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 2 stars

Yup! After Defending Jacob I love legal thrillers!

Karina (2187) I saw the movie and thought it was great! but i didn't know about the book until later!

message 47: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 2 stars

I need to read it! I want to read all of John Grisham's works!

Karina (2187) I don't think I've ever read a legal thriller

message 49: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 2 stars

They are just so good :)

message 50: by Michele.♥, The bookoholic! (new) - rated it 2 stars

There is a list of books that were banned the most in 2011:

1) The TTYL series by lauren myracle
2)The color of earth
3) The hunger games
4) My mom's having a baby again
5)The absolute true diary of a part time indian
6)Alice series
7) Brave New World
8) What my mother doesn't know
9) Gossip Girl
10) TKAM

« previous 1 3 4 5

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fahrenheit 451 (other topics)
Black Beauty (other topics)
The Diary of a Young Girl (other topics)
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (other topics)
A Wrinkle in Time (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kathryn Stockett (other topics)