The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

Hunger Games vs. Divergent

Comments (showing 1-50 of 158) (158 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Kailey (last edited May 08, 2012 10:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kailey Fralick I'm just curious for those of you who've read both, which do you prefer: Divergent (by Veronica Roth) or Hunger Games?

If you haven't read Divergent, you most definitely should. It's a great book and I think that I prefer it over Hunger Games. I found the character development excellent, particularly in the second book, and I connected with the storyline and characters much more than in Hunger Games. I was just wondering what other people's thoughts were on this.

message 2: by Daniela (last edited May 08, 2012 10:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daniela Hunger Games wins for me, hands down. I wanted to love Divergent but it doesn't get me in the 'fan-girl' state the way HG does. Maybe when I read Insurgent it will be better

fufuwith I liked both okay but I preferred Legend by Marie Lu

Kailey Fralick I've read Legend and it was alright. It was another case where I just didn't connect with the characters as much.

Cassie I actually preferred "Divergent" to "The Hunger Games" both in concept and story line. I've only read the first book in 'The Hunger Games' series but it was too disturbing for me to desire reading the rest. Kids killing kids because they are forced to versus teens killing teens in defense of the defenseless and self preservation? I prefer the latter. Also, the age of 'initiates' versus the age of 'trubutes'. I prefer the freedom of choice in 'Divergent' than the lack of choice in 'Hunger Games'. I did like the characters in 'Hunger Games', very well written, but I love the characters in 'Divergent'. Different tastes abound in the world and 'Divergent' was more to my taste than 'The Hunger Games'.

Erica divergent
is
awesome
forever

Erica Kailey wrote: "I've read Legend and it was alright. It was another case where I just didn't connect with the characters as much."

legend by marie lu is great.

Janelle Larsen When I first read the hunger games I thought there was no book like it! I was like OMGOMGOMGONGONGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGON but then I read divergent and I was like.... Woah woah eoah. Ok nvm! This is beyond anything like I can't even blannenrjsmebdkcmmfmf

Andrea I think I loved both for seperate reasons but equally. I was more enthralled with the Hunger Games but more invested to the characters in Divergent if that makes any sense. I haven't gotten to Legend yet but it is on my to-read list next.

Azure Jensen I just finished Divergent, I really liked it, but I prefer the Hunger Games, I don't prefer love triangles (yes, I'm "Team Gale") so Divergent wins there, but maybe if I had read Divergent first I might prefer it? I read "Matched", and "Crossed" by Allie Condie and they don't compare either...

Jennifer Nichols That's a tough question merely for the fact that each book in their own right is an excellent example of what dystopian literature should look like. However, with that said, as much as I loved Divergent, The Hunger Games still remains the champion in my mind.

I think Suzanne Collins's ability to world build was expressed beautifully in The Hunger Games. There was a strong sense of realness to the book. A definite, “what would happen if?” scenario. Like, I can imagine our world destroying itself by war and having to re-build from the ground up. I can imagine a controlling government that rations it's nation's food between districts, and controls it's population by feeding its people fear and heartbreak. And I can imagine these things because Suzanne Collins showed us exactly what it looks like or what our own futures could look like if similar events came to pass. It’s brilliance.

Annabel ♥ I couldn't choose (!!) I like Four/Tobias better than all of the characters in the Hunger Games combined but in terms of the plot I think that the Hunger games was more captivating. But I really couldn't say so don't think I like one better than the other :) They are probably my two favorite books of ALL time, and that's saying a lot, since even though I'm young, I've read a looootttt of books.

Erica I think that they were both equally good.

Julia Divergent hands down!!! Loved the character development, the storyline, everything. Can't imagine how I'm going to wait another year for more!! Hunger Games was good, just not THAT good. I especially didn't care for the 3rd book as much.

message 15: by Patti (last edited May 08, 2012 05:17PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Patti Divergent was no doubt influenced by the Hunger Games, so kudos to Suzanne Collins for popularizing the dystopian genre, but I prefer Divergent.

Julia I totally agree. I was a sort of fan of the series, but the third book just killed it for me.

Sarah Julia wrote: "Divergent hands down!!! Loved the character development, the storyline, everything. Can't imagine how I'm going to wait another year for more!! Hunger Games was good, just not THAT good. I espe..."

I totally agree. Wish I could skip ahead a year to find out what happens in the 3rd book.

Valerie I loved Hunger Games! But I loved Divergent as well. I'm more than half way through Insurgent and that book to me is better than the first! Its a toss up and I won't be able to give a real complete opinion until the 3rd book comes out in the Divergent series.

BvbArmette No question Divergent... i am most like the dauntless and love the book so yah!

Darlene The Hunger Games, hands down. Divergent was good too, but it was mostly just a fun read for me; I didn't connect with the characters like I had with The Hunger Games. Plus I didn't like the premise of Divergent very much :p

Steph Divergent.

Divergent made me feel more a part of the story, and I much prefer the characters in Divergent (whom I think are more well-developed).

Also, I feel that after the first book, the Hunger Games kind of broke down.... neither of the others were nearly as good. And though the final Divergent book remains to be seen, I think Insurgent is a much better follow-up than Catching Fire.

And of course Divergent has the bonus of no obnoxious anticlimatic love triangle!

fufuwith Kailey wrote: "I've read Legend and it was alright. It was another case where I just didn't connect with the characters as much."

Hehe, and it’s the complete opposite with me. With the Hunger Games and Divergent I had trouble connecting with the characters.

Lizzy Cassy wrote: "Kailey wrote: "I've read Legend and it was alright. It was another case where I just didn't connect with the characters as much."

legend by marie lu is great."

Definitely agree! Legend was so awesome. I actually liked Legend more than The Hunger Games and Divergent. The story and the characters just seemed more real to me.

message 23: by Ari (last edited May 09, 2012 05:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ari Yanira wrote: "Cassy wrote: "Kailey wrote: "I've read Legend and it was alright. It was another case where I just didn't connect with the characters as much."

legend by marie lu is great."

Definitely agree! Leg..."

YES!!AGREE!!! Legend for the win! I thought Divergent sucked (too lovie dovey for me), The Hunger Games was alright, (again, I didn’t like the love triangle), but I seriously loved Legend. I completely connected with both Day and June. Looking forward the second, Prodigy, and the movie!

Counterozo The Hunger Games was way too much like Battle Royale for my liking. Divergent kind of bored me. The action was cool but that is pretty much all I liked. I also preferred Legend. But Blood Red Road was also great.

Darlene Counterozo wrote: "The Hunger Games was way too much like Battle Royale for my liking. Divergent kind of bored me. The action was cool but that is pretty much all I liked. I also preferred Legend. But Blood Red Road ..."

Oh yeah, Blood Red Road is amazing

Janelle Larsen Counterozo wrote: "The Hunger Games was way too much like Battle Royale for my liking. Divergent kind of bored me. The action was cool but that is pretty much all I liked. I also preferred Legend. But Blood Red Road ..."

what is blood red road exactly i dont rlly get the synopsis?

☆♥☆Katrin★♡★ D. I. V. E. R. G. E. N. T. !.!.!.!

Natalie divergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergentdivergent

hands down

Kelsey fufuwith wrote: "I liked both okay but I preferred Legend by Marie Lu"

Legend was good, but I didn't like the ending. I'm I remembering correctly, or does the 1st book end with the two protags riding off on a train just like in Divergent? Hmmm....

Kelsey HARRYPOTTER!HARRYPOTTER!HARRYPOTTER!HARRYPOTTER!HARRYPOTTER!HARRYPOTTER!HARRYPOTTER!HARRYPOTTER!HARRYPOTTER!HARRYPOTTER!HARRYPOTTER!HARRYPOTTER!HARRYPOTTER!HARRYPOTTER! oh whoops... awkward. that wasn't the question. hmmmm by just looking at the 1st two books of each trilogy, the odds are ever in the Hunger Games' favor, but I hated Mockingjay, so who knows, maybe book three could be Divergent's chance to pull ahead

message 31: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin NO! How dare you ask this!!! I cannot choose! :)

message 32: by Calvin (last edited May 12, 2012 10:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Calvin Sotakoun Hunger Games, FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melody Divergent.

Erica fufuwith wrote: "I liked both okay but I preferred Legend by Marie Lu"

that's a great book.

Saru (Queen of Bookland) THE HUNGER GAMES but I just started divergent...but still THE HUNGER GAMES :)

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Just wait till you finish Divergent and Insurgent! Both are amazing, but right now, I'm in the Divergent zone.

message 37: by Tahlia (new)

Tahlia The Hunger Games!! Nad i dont choose it just because; when i read books i dig deeper into them and not just like fanfic, but also like "Suzanne Collins did this probsbecause of...." I just think the Hunger Games really touches home because its more realistic

&
this is completely off subject: or does the Divergent cover look really similar to the Hunger Games cover...?

Catherine divergent:D

Jasmine hunger games i personally thought the main characters in both the hunger games and divergent were annoying but there were so many other aspects in the hunger games that made me love it so i kept reading. i barely finished reading divergent and im not planning on reading the second book of the series; tris was that unlikable and the rest of the book didn't make up for it.

Nicole I, who has just recently came out of the hunger games fan girling, just finished divergent 2 hours ago and it wins. I like the fact that I don't fan girl over it. It makes it seem more serious. I'm still in love with the hunger games but the concept and characters in divergent were better. Though Finnick and Four are fighting for my favorite book character. I agree in other comments that the love triangle in THG is annoying (why cant we all just be team Finnick and move on?), and that THG was more like they didn't have any choices where divergent has many choices. There's also the absorption. THG was addictive, I couldnt put it down, but It came from the wanting of knowing who would survive not out of 'this book is so good I can't put it down'. Divergent had good communications, unique turns, and crazy 'WHAT!' and 'I KNEW IT' moments.

Eva Alenko I love 'em both xxxxxxx

Natalie Divergent. hands down!

message 43: by Claire (new)

Claire Hunger games definite! I mean Divergent was amazing!! That's something I can't argue with & the characters were just fantastic but I just think THG because it pulls u right into the plot that u can't put it down until u finish the book :) I love those kind of books & THG is a story that u never had heard of before & it really pulls u into the past then later into the future & I just love THG it was creatively and perfectly written, the plot was a big twist & turn that it turned into this mystery you'll never know what youre going to expect, it's a story with Sci-fi, fantasy, love, future, past, war, lost of love, danger, adventure, & more! And THG has new characters that we feel connected to either bad or good they each all have what they want, & each of the characters were described so perfectly its like u know them in real life & don't u want a book like that? And there's more reasons why I picked THG but that's it for now! THG is an unexpecting, adventurous, fantasy, emotional story that u have u have to read

Bella I loved both! Divergent honestly did not quite pull me into the story until page 150ish. I put it down for a couple of months just because the story wasn't as captivating until the point where Four and Tris's relationship kicks off, Peter and his insane anger begins to show, and Tris finds out she's Divergent. Hunger Games, however, pulled me into it on page 30 after Prim's name was called in the reaping. Hunger Games stayed interesting the entire book and series and after Divergent became good, I COULD NOT STOP! Both the characters showed some form of rebellion, but the thing Hunger Games had that Diverget did not have was the totalitarian government. They were divided into factions but it was more of faction against faction rather than a society against its leaders. Both books had lots of twists and things that lure you into the book even more which I loved. I loved the romance in each. The main characters were both amazing. Honestly, it's hard to choose. Suzanne Collins made the dystopian literature come back and now all sorts of books are being written again (Matched series which I seriously recommend is one). All in all, both books have an amazing plot and characters.

Bella Both books had an amazing plot. Divergent didn't pull me in as quickly as Hunger Games did. I love Peeta more than Four but honestly there is no comparing between Katniss and Tris. Both books were well written and you won't regret reading both!:)

Brianna I love both...but I think I will be able to make a more honest comparison when the divergent trilogy is complete. You have to look at them as trilogies rather than just a single book. I will have to stick with the Hunger Games until I can read the whole trilogy...so ask me again in a year :)

Brianna Bella wrote: "I loved both! Divergent honestly did not quite pull me into the story until page 150ish. I put it down for a couple of months just because the story wasn't as captivating until the point where Four..."

I agree that Suzanne Collins and the Hunger Games series has caused the dystopian novels to make a huge resurgence. I love it! Although many are "copycats" I think it is great to see such a cool genre taking off!

message 48: by Anna (last edited Jun 30, 2012 09:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna i think... wow this is hard i think i liked divergent better ONLY because it was less cruel BUT i do LOVE the hunger games soooooo MUCH so ya... that's my opinion.

Sarah Having read HG first (and knowing that D was written after HG), I found D to be a ruthless copycat. Same cover, written in the same present tense, same concept of factions/districts, 16 y/o female protagonists from similar communities, two guys in love with her, same concept of choosing/reaping... Roth seems to be trying to stake her claim in the dystopian fiction realm by recreating HG for a tamer audience

Clearly written for ages 14 and younger (unlike HG, which YA and older can appreciate and connect with), I thought the writing was a bit awkward, the descriptions of Tris' sexual feelings much too juvenile (which is in fact what they are- perhaps I'm too old, but I found them comical in the way she described them), the immediate attraction Four felt for Tris seemed unbelievable (I'm just not into love at first sight, although later on he has great reasons for loving her), and the transition to the revolution part of the book far too abrupt- it's almost as if someone tore out a few pages in between.

Probably great for 14 and younger. Despite the subject material, it was too saccharine for someone in her early 20s. I read it to see what they hype was about, but ended up disappointed.

So, to sum up, I preferred HG.

Poopers I actually don't think hunger games deserves all the attention it's getting - but it's still a great book. i also loved legend and think it's better than hg. but divergent has got to be my fav so far.

« previous 1 3 4

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Hunger Games (other topics)