Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Review character limit?

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

LilaBird | 12 comments Hi! I just wrote a somewhat lengthy review (of Lover Reborn), and after saving it, noticed that it got cut off half-way through, as if I had used too many characters. This is silly and I don't know if it's just a glitch or what, but it does say that I have 16,151 characters still available to use. They just won't show up in the final saved review. Can anyone help me with this??

Thanks!!
LilaBird

message 2: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 11007 comments Mod
It doesn't look like a character-limit issue. What was meant to come right after the open parens where the review current stops?

message 3: by LilaBird (last edited May 07, 2012 04:10PM) (new)

LilaBird | 12 comments The complete review is about twice as long as what appears...it cuts off at the open parens, but there are another 4 1/2 paragraphs that are supposed to appear after it...

message 4: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

I understand that. But what were the next 15 characters?

LilaBird | 12 comments Oh! Sorry. I misunderstood you. The next chunk starting with the parens reads:

"(<-- BTW, WHEN are we going to see this confirmed???). No'One is a sympathetic character, but she's a little hard to get to know. I actually feel that way about almost all of Ward's female characters. She definitely has a much larger talent for creating male characters for some reason."

LilaBird | 12 comments Weird! I just copied it here so you could see it, and it is still cutting it off! Even here!

LilaBird | 12 comments I'll type it out by hand....hold on....

LilaBird | 12 comments "(<--BTW, WHEN are we going to see this confirmed???)"

LilaBird | 12 comments Okay, not working. It obviously has something to do with the characters I'm typing....I was using the "less than"/"carrot" arrow, paired with two hyphens to make an arrow....let me try it without this and see if that fixes it. Maybe that combination of characters is some sort of html that I'm not aware of.....

Kim (shirezu) | 96 comments As soon as you use "less than" it interprets it as a html tag. Unless you have a close > anything after the "less than" won't show.

LilaBird | 12 comments Okay! Now the entire thing posts properly! I played around with it and I guess creating a makeshift, left-pointing arrow using a less-than sign paired with two hyphens, for some reason is code for "delete everything that comes after this". Weird, but at least I figured it out! :) Thanks for your help!

message 12: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

I had a feeling it might be something like that. FYI, the HTML for arrows (and other interesting symbols) can be found here: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_sym...

ā†
ā†’

LilaBird | 12 comments So fun! Thanks so much for that link! :)

mlady_rebecca | 2020 comments Sounds like your arrow was being interpreted as an HTML comment. Comments are for notes within the source code. By definition, comments aren't displayed in your browser.

<!-- This is a comment. -->

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_com...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Lover Reborn (other topics)