The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Game of Thrones: Season 2 - Portrayal of Women?

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (last edited May 07, 2012 02:15PM) (new)

Joseph | 145 comments What do people think of the series so far? Its silly to judge too much when only just gone half way, but I'm interested in what people think of the story changes, writing etc.

Some of the added scenes are great and add to the plot, but they've altered it quite a bit; the portrayal of women is interesting as well, rather than Ygritte and Osha being strong, powerful characters, both just use sex.
The (incredibly cringe worthy) scene of them "huddling for warmth", with grinding! I mean come on, I burst out laughing at how silly it was.

With Osha, rather than standing up for herself and showing her dominance to trick Theon and let the boys escape...she uses sex, with Theon, with the guard, and that episode was written by a women.

Eugh i'm ranting over nothing aren't I?
:D

Michael Underwood | 101 comments On the other hand, we have Brienne of Tarth, who is totally non-sexualized.

Several of the characters have been sexy-ed up for the series, in look or in behavior (Tyrion, Ygritte, Melisandre), but at this point, I mostly don't mind aside from an occasional eyeroll at the extra sexytimes. HBO has a mood and a tone they go for, and that's to be expected. The expectation doesn't excuse it, but it contextualize the change.

My biggest sticking point in this area is that I thought Melisandre's power didn't need to sexualized. I'm withholding judgement to see how it is portrayed over a course of time (since it's a different depiction than in the books), but I liked her as being more captivating than seductive.

Joseph | 145 comments I forgot about Brienne. :P It'll be interesting to see how they develop her as a character, especially with Jaime.

It was more that scene with Vgritte and Jon that made me raise an eyebrow slightly. Was such a bad scene. :p

Brad | 21 comments My biggest sticking point in this area is that I thought Melisandre's power didn't need to sexualized. I'm withholding judgement to see how it is portrayed over a course of time (since it's a different depiction than in the books), but I liked her as being more captivating than seductive.

I'm not sure her portrayal in the show is that far off than in the book. In the book she gives birth to a shadow exactly how it's portrayed in the show, and the book did have the shadow that killed Renly with Stannis' likeness. The show just put 2 and 2 together.

Alterjess | 318 comments Osha and Ygritte are consistent with how Wildling women are portrayed in the books - i.e. sex is no biggie to them and it's so easy to manipulate those uptight Southern men. For Osha it's a matter or survival, for Ygritte it's just a lark.

And in the book, it's strongly implied that Melissandre and Stannis are sleeping together but since neither of them are POV characters it all happens offstage. I don't see it as being all that different from letting us see Renly & Loras together.

What HBO has done, mostly, is take any tiny subtle hint from the books that someone, somewhere, might be having sex, and make it explicit and onscreen. There's definitely a "whenever possible, put a naked woman onscreen" policy in place, written or not. (I mean, was it really necessary for Margarey to have that conversation with Renly while topless?)

Markt5660 | 35 comments Jess wrote: "What HBO has done, mostly, is take any tiny subtle hint from the books that someone, somewhere, might be having sex, and make it explicit and onscreen. There's definitely a "whenever possible, put a naked woman onscreen" policy in place, written or not."

This has been a standard policy with HBO and Showtime pretty much since they started. It's more of a "we can have sex onscreen because we're cable" attitude. Does anyone remember the original, unedited, 1st season of Showtime's "Outer Limits" remake? There was a "token" sex scene in every episode. When the scenes were removed for sindication on mainstream channels, there was no impact to the episode at all.

Philip (heard03) | 381 comments We're well into the second decade of the 21st century and American society still can't seem to get past the objectification of women, it's rather pathetic.

message 8: by Thomas (last edited May 14, 2012 08:11AM) (new)

Thomas Irwin | 2 comments Joseph wrote: "The (incredibly cringe worthy) scene of them "huddling for warmth", with grinding! I mean come on, I burst out laughing at how silly it was."

I got the feeling that scene was meant to be funny, she's making fun of him and I felt it was a really funny scene and spot on for Ygrittes character.

Aaron | 3 comments Minor thread necromancy here, but I've been looking for somewhere to talk/rant about this for a while. I don't have much trouble with the portrayal of Ygritte and Melisandre. The sex is there in the books, implied and overt, so I'm certainly not going to argue if HBO wants to make Ygritte a little hotter than Martin's description of her.

The treatment of Osha's character perplexed me though. Specifically the scene in which Osha gains Theon's trust. Perhaps my perspective was coloured by the books, but I didn't feel that there was any hint of sexualizing Osha's character to that point in the series so her spontaneous seduction of Theon felt forced, but also rather bland. Contrast that with the scene from the book: Theon's man makes a lude comment implying that women aren't used for fighting by the Ironborn so Osha takes his spear, cracks him in the nuts and tells him that that is the only pole he's got which is of any interest to her. It what way would that scene not make way better TV than what they actually went with?

Dara (hd2185) | 1069 comments I also didn't like that change. My problem is as Alterjess said. Scenes like the one with Margarey Tyrell topless talking to Renly. It was unnecessary. Stuff like that doesn't need to be there. It distracts from the scene to me, rather than adding anything to it.

Tina (javabird) | 350 comments Dara wrote: "...My problem is as Alterjess said. Scenes like the one with Margarey Tyrell topless talking to Renly. It was unnecessary. Stuff like that doesn't need to be there. It ..."

I find this thread interesting because all the writing experts I've listened to say that if a scene doesn't serve the story, it should not be included (both in stories and screenplays). I know there are a lot of writers on this forum (published or not), so I'd be interested in hearing what other writers think about this.

I've only seen Season 1 so far but I've read all the books, and although sex and violence certainly fits the tone of GRRM's books, I thought some of the sex scenes in the 1st season actually took away from the story (i.e., the ridiculous scene with Littlefinger in the brothel--in that scene what he was saying about his motives was crucial, so the focus of the scene should have been on him, not the women).

I think philip's comment above says it all.

Ivalen | 9 comments i u

Ivalen | 9 comments i despise the series - far too much gratuitous sex; totally unnecessary, and it's just not that good. The only positive aspect is that the characters now have a image in my head. they at least did that right.

Rik | 501 comments Ivalen wrote: "i despise the series - far too much gratuitous sex; totally unnecessary, and it's just not that good. The only positive aspect is that the characters now have a image in my head. they at least did ..."

Yet they have toned it down from the books quite a bit seeing as Dany still hasn't gone girl on girl and the books are pretty graphic in idea if not actual description.

Its like the cartoon strip I saw a while back with George talking to JK Rowling. George: "So Ron and Ginny are siblings. Are they having sex?" JK "Umm no." George: "Not even a little bit?"

Nekroskop | 86 comments Osha I didn't get either - I mean, they have to make her even stronger, as she's replacing bot of the reeds here. A little attitude would have helped. And I think we had enough "Theon is a douchebag" exposition, with his good bye scene to the exposition whore, his fondling of his own sister, etc.

Which brings me to the one point that surprised me a lot - they didn't sex up Theons sister. I really like her performance as a captain to her men.

Otherwise I agree that all the boob-flashing is a "style" decision that has started with Rome and went through Spartacus, the Tudors, etc. It's a working formula for adult tv serials, so the writers obviously have a naked-quota to fulfill.

unread topics | mark unread