The Sword and Laser discussion

Top 10 Most Read Books in the World

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Top 10 Most Read Books in the World.

Found this on Google Plus.

Although I'm guessing there are quite a few copies of, say, Gone with the Wind that were purchased and never got read.

Warren | 1275 comments Interesting, thanks.
I was a bit surprise by the Alchemist

message 3: by Tassie Dave (last edited May 07, 2012 12:50PM) (new)

Tassie Dave | 589 comments I call bs on this list.

They have the bible but no other religious book.

I'd be amazed if the Koran sold (and had been read) less than 27 Million copies in the last 50 years.

Tamahome | 4501 comments You know Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) by E.L. James is catching up fast.

message 5: by Erwin (last edited May 07, 2012 01:39PM) (new)

Erwin (eblonk10) I venture to guess these are the books that have the highest 'never read/books sold'-ratio, in the order given.

R.H. Watson (rh_watson) | 45 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "I call bs on this list.

They have the bible but no other religious book.

I'd be amazed if the Koran sold (and had been read) less than 27 Million copies in the last 50 years."

I agree. The source for the graphic is some guy who made a list. The only description of his research method is, "I have compiled this list ... after completing a long project of research to establish exactly which are the most read books in the world."

Nick (Whyzen) | 1260 comments The list was compiled by a journalist who took a survey of 20 people he ran into on the street no doubt.

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 1724 comments I like how he includes whole series on the list as a single book. If that's allowable, then Perry Rhodan should be in second place with over a billion copies in print.

aldenoneil | 1000 comments R.H. wrote: "The source for the graphic is some guy who made a list."

He's handsome, though. And his graphic is pretty. I trust him.

Boots (Rubberboots) | 499 comments Wow, almost 4 billion bibles sold in 50 years, I think that means at some point there were more bibles being sold then there were people on the planet.

Maybe he counted every book in the old testament, which would be from 39-51 books depending on which cult he's in, and 27 books in the new testament. That means every bible sold could be considered up to 78 books.

I just noticed they took religious books off of the list of best-selling books on Wikipedia. I don't think any of those religious books were near the top before they were taken off the list.

Kim (shirezu) | 388 comments Seems the Wikipedia page is much more reliable. It also separates single volumes from series. It doesn't count the Perry Rhodan series as the sales figure includes magazines not just novels.

Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 639 comments I had always thought that the Diary of Anne Frank was #2.

Or at least according to the ancient copy of Trivial Pursuit in my garage...

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1320 comments The Bible might have all those copies sold, but that doesn't mean they have all been read. Just think of all the millions sitting around in hotel rooms.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Gone with the Wind (other topics)
Fifty Shades of Grey (other topics)