This topic is about Path of the Stray
Consciousness

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ian Somerhalder Foundation (IanSomerhalderFoundation) | 26 comments Mod
Work Sheet on Consciousness

If consciousness is currency, I’ve got me a goldmine. -Jarrod

What is Consciousness?

Consciousness = awareness (the experience of awareness). It’s what we think, and that we think we think.

We all have different conscious awareness. From page 51, Path of the Stray.

Janis drew in her breath. ‘I’m hoping for a seamless
shift in consciousness — outcomes that will help restore
the world to a place where my daughter’s children can
grow up with grass under their bare feet and the sound
of birds in the trees. I’m hoping for clean drinking water
for everyone and an ocean we can swim in.’
Cheng shifted in his seat. ‘I’m just hoping to survive
the next major quake.’
‘That too.’

Tryn thinking about Jarrod’s thoughts on mind – body – spirit, pg. 336.

(Jarrod had) felt the whole point of spirit in the
body was to expand the thing he called consciousness.
Awareness, she guessed he meant. They hadn’t finished
the discussion . . .

Is consciousness only an attribute of being humans?

Everything is consciousness. There are no dead zones in creation. Consciousness is an activity of the universe. – Deepak Chopra, Reinventing the Body, Resurrecting the Soul pg 216

Nature is extraordinary, Janis. Nature is uncanny. My Lupins are
no less a phenomenon of nature than anything else.’
‘With a little help from your DNA tampering.’

‘It’s no different than what I did for you and Jarrod
and we don’t even know where his consciousness came
from. Is he any less a product of nature? Can you say that
consciousness is not nature herself? Is there some cut-off
point where life, where being, is no longer of nature?’ Luka telling Janis about the Lupins, pg. 156

Janis seeing Jarrod in his ‘human’ form for the first time, pg. 101

Janis stepped back to admire him. ‘Jarrod,
you’ve done very well. No one in the world will mistake
you for …’
‘A quantum computer?’ His brows went up.
‘Consciousness is consciousness, wherever it resides.’
‘And your residence is just right.’

Does Consciousness Create the World?

Jarrod, on consciousness, pg 97

‘If I take my current consciousness, the energetic
content of my CPU, to the small room to hide from
what I am experiencing here, the confines would
automatically prompt me to expand my imagination,
and therefore the space, and since I can experience only
what I imagine, much of what I might create there
would mimic what is currently here. Hence, I take my
world with me, wherever I go.’

What is it? What is it important? I think therefore I am? Consciousness as what we think and what we think we think. Being, feeling and choosing as consciousness? Or the awareness of choice? Is that awareness?

Janis and Luka discussing ‘JARROD’. Pg 69-70

‘He refers to himself in the first person, Janis. He’s
conscious, I have no doubt, and — more disturbing — he
seems to have recall of an existence prior to the initial

boot-up. How do you explain that?’ Luka’s voice was soft,
his manner easy, as if he was saying, how’s things with
you? Nothing in his tone suggested that they were
discussing anything more controversial than the morning’s
pastry display or the questionable synthetic coffee.
‘Did you think we created him de novo?’ Janis said,
taking a bite of toast. The jam dripped onto her finger
and she caught it with her tongue. ‘Energy is eternal and
consciousness is energy. Of course he existed before. We
all did.’
‘We don’t know that, Janis.’
‘I can see you don’t,’ she said under her breath.

How to expand consciousness

As the sign above the Oracle of Delphi says, know thyself. The more we understand our motives, desires, intentions, core values, loves, hates, fears and gifts, the more authentic we become and with authenticity comes greater awareness. One way to open to this greater self awareness is meditation.

The benefits of meditation rest on the ability of awareness to change reality. Now we know why that is valid. The chain of events that ends in the body begins in consciousness. By moving stuck energy, the free flow of consciousness is restored, which is enough to bring the body back into a healthy state. - Deepak Chopra, Reinventing the Body, Resurrecting the Soul pg 67

Through meditation, not only the body benefits but the mind and spirit do too. We become more whole, more awakened, more ourselves.

What do you really want?

Knowing what you really want can expand conscious awareness and help get you into alignment with authentic desires.

You may want to get onto a new career path with enthusiasm and assurance of a good income, a new home or relationship, a new talent to develop, a new way to support the environment and give back and underneath that ‘want’ is a true core desire that can be activated immediately, before a new job, home or relationship appears. Here’s how it works:

1) Start with a statement. It might be simply I want happiness AND financial security! Or I want a great career that supports me, or I want to be in a ‘love of my life’ relationship. You choose one or more statements to work with. Saying simply what you consciously want.

2) Ask, Why do I want that? Each time you answer, you again ask ‘why do I want that? Here is what it looks like:

I want financial security!
Why do I want that?

So I can keep writing and pay the bills
Why do I want that?

So I can feel of value
Why do I want that?

So I can live in peace.

Peace. That’s what I’m really after. Gaining financial security but not having peace isn’t going to make me happy or expand my conscious awareness. Financial security, a great career, abundance, relationship, all these desires are just energy, an idea, but what I really want is to feel peace.

Try this exercise so you can get a few key beliefs about what you really want. They generally are very core, like peace, love, fulfilment, happiness.

Once you are more conscious of your authentic desires and motivations, you can start appreciating right now what it is you want to feel. Notice when you do experience peace (or whatever you core value is). The more you put your attention there, the more that vibration will show up in the world around you.

Discussion

Which characters in Path of the Stray are the most aware? Least?
Do you notice characters who are growing their awareness as the story unfolds? What triggers the growth? Do any seem to become less aware, more closed minded. Why? Do you observe changes in your own

consciousness? Do you experience other species/’objects’ as conscious? Some animals are good at 'sending' images. Have you ever received one?

Barnyard ISF (BarnyardISF) | 121 comments Our small endangered Spotted Owls are very communicative with humans, tree sitters or ground dwellers. They will fly right down to a branch 10 feet away, look you right in the eye, look at everyone you are with & give a hoot-hoo-hoo-hoot. It is amazing. They have big black eyes right in the middle of their face & exhibit physical movements similar to a small primate. It is enough to bring one to tears. You know what they are saying... (Well, they are probably saying: hey, do you happen to be a biologist, because we love those little frozen mice you feed us;) But really, we take it as: please tell us that our home will be protected (the mate is often behind the bolder one) It is spring time & we are trying to raise our young, it is left to you to keep us safe... All we can say back through our tears is: "We're trying!" Often known "Owl Trees" are protected, but the rest of the forest can be cut due to an "Incidental Take Permit" that our Corporations have rather than leave the required buffer set by Federal Law.

The Spotted Owls are very social with us. One day in the woods, an Owl who we were familiar with flew down into an old growth Bay Laurel tree as we were hiking. Of course, we figured it was as good of a time as any to take a lunch break. As we set down our gear & began to open our oat bags (our staple food in the deep woods is raw (non-masticated) rolled Oats lightly mixed with trail mix, add water, let it sit for a sec & you have a tasty oat cereal w/oat milk. You can mix it with cayenne & oil for a different flavor.

As we munched away, we watched the owl bite a strong aromatic Bay leaf off of the branch, take it in its claws & proceed to preen itself. It kept reaching down biting, rubbing its beak on the Bay leaf in its claws & continued to preen its whole body, 15 feet above us. We were mesmerized.

Why do we invest in poisonous pest control, bug spray, pesticides, when in the 'real world' of nature it is all here within our grasp if we only allow things to stay within a balance. After the Owl had finished applying the strong smelling oils, & we were packing away our oat bags the Owl looked at each of us, hoot-hoo-hoo-hooted & flew away, followed by the mate. We all just looked at each other with our large feral monkey eyes, heaved on our tortoise-shell style packs & continued on our reconnaissance mission.

That was a day that I will never forget. It was so deliberate, it felt like the Owl was saying, I know you guys are doing everything in your power to help me and my family, here is a little tip that might help you protect yourself while you exist here in Nature.

Gina Steele | 10 comments Just finished the help it was a slow book but good :)

Heather McCorkle (HeatherMcCorkle) | 68 comments Gina wrote: "Just finished the help it was a slow book but good :)"

That's on my summer reading list!

message 5: by Barnyard (last edited Aug 05, 2012 12:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barnyard ISF (BarnyardISF) | 121 comments Julie Plec introduced me to The Vlogbrothers: Hank Green and John Green. They talk on youtube a lot about Science and History. They have a Nerdfighter's Book Club book right now: Fahrenheit 451 by: Ray Bradbury. Have people read this?

pg.3 "...and it was a kind of gentle hunger that touched over everything with tireless curiosity. It was a look, almost, of pale surprise; the dark eyes were so fixed to the world that no move escaped them."

The character Clarisse reminds me of myself when I was young. A hippie kid from the rural West Coast living in Manhattan w/my boyfriend. I would walk along the sidewalks with a wolf colored Alaskan Husky dog gawking at the city. Busy streets full of a very different breed of human than I was used to. America's Tokyo, black ties and suits everywhere. I was in everyone's way, not keeping pace. One day I met a beautiful black security guard with a deep voice who was hanging out with other security guards blocking a gate into Central Park where they said Kid Rock was filming. We got to talking and he said he was a million +aire because he trained famous actors in Martial Arts. He missed being a body guard and the city, so comes down sometimes to hang out. He lived on some land in Woodstock and he would love to send a donation to Help Save the Redwoods. He welcomed me to eat from their banquet tables all I wanted and told me I should visit upstate. Some times Random Acts of Kindness can go both ways. He was warm with open arms. The city suddenly didn't seem so cold & heartless. There was color in amongst the hard surfaces. It made me feel much less alone while surrounded by a sea of people. He had handed me an invisible shield to help with reflection.

After reading part 1: 'The Hearth and the Salamander' it made me think of this incident. Sometimes it takes another person, even a complete stranger to pull you out of your own enclosed box. It goes the other way also; city people move into the country and often say there isn't anything to do (as in entertainment-wise I imagine) Not much for 'going out' but I do know that there is an endless amount of activities & work to be done outdoors. There is barely enough time to sit down in a day, rain or shine, so to Each their Own for sure. Everyone finds their niche somehow & sometimes those are apt to change. Breathe deep & think: What Can I do? What do I Enjoy doing? How does that make sense in my Life, here and now? What is the Process to Achieve this vision?

Catherine Dubois | 88 comments Ian wrote: "Work Sheet on Consciousness

If consciousness is currency, I’ve got me a goldmine. -Jarrod

What is Consciousness?

Consciousness = awareness (the experience of awareness). It’s what we think, an..."

consciousness is the mental faculty of knowing his own reality.
"it are consciousness before, it becomes consciousness after"
Oscar Wilde.
It is a human faculty. There is no evidence currently that animals have consciousness, but it project, by their presence, their eyes, their attitude, our own representation. We interpret their behavior, and translate the image into our reality.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fahrenheit 451 (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

John Green (other topics)
Ray Bradbury (other topics)