Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

Rome: The Emperor's Spy (Rome, #1)
This topic is about Rome
Monthly Group Reads > JUNE 2012 (Group Read 1): Rome : The Emperor's Spy by Manda Scott

Comments (showing 51-100 of 126) (126 new)    post a comment »

Bobby (bobbej) | 1000 comments Both books arrived this week!!

message 52: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri | 16646 comments Lucky you! My kingdom for just one! Inquisition should be at the library awaiting pickup. This book, still in transit.

How do they look, Bobby? Have you flicked through and read any bits and bobs? < (no pun intended)

message 53: by Bobby (last edited May 27, 2012 11:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bobby (bobbej) | 1000 comments Well, I was only 1/2 right. I saw my mail had 2 books so I ASSUMED (there's that nasty word again) they were both my June reads but only one was, Inquisition. The other was a giveaway I won long ago and had forgotten about!! Anyway, Inquisition is paperback and about 500 pages. Cover says "a corpse brought to Mondino's lab one stormy night defies natural law; the victim is a Templar knight and his heart has been transformed into a block of iron!" OOOOOkay....thats different!! Looking forward to the read.

message 54: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri | 16646 comments I look forward to seeing how this alchemy aspect pans out in Inquisition.
Simona says she feels it may have a little supernatural hook.
Even if it is, we'll all have a good time talking about it. And then talking about whether or not it classifies as historical fiction. :)

message 55: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri | 16646 comments I have put this book up on the main page as currently reading even though we haven't started yet.
I'll post this message in the Inquisition Group Read Thread also.

message 56: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited May 28, 2012 05:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri | 16646 comments The new copy I have coming in the mail is this recent edition (which, becuase i am a good little Goodreads Librarian, I have added to Goodreads so I can show you all the cover..:)..).

Rome  The Emperor's Spy by M.C. Scott

It has a different blurb too.

Stop this fire, whatever it takes. I, your Emperor, order it' The Emperor Nero, Emperor of Rome and all her provinces, feared by his subjects for his temper and cruelty, is in possession of an ancient document predicting that Rome will burn. The Spy Sebastos Pantera, assassin and spy for the Roman Legions, is ordered to stop the impending cataclysm. He knows that if he does not, his life - and those of thousands of others - are in terrible danger. The Chariot Boy Math, a young charioteer, is a pawn drawn into the deadly game between the Emperor and the Spy, where death stalks the drivers - on the track and off it. Rich characterisation and spine tingling adventure combine in a vividly realised novel set amid the bloodshed and the chaos, the heroism and murderous betrayal of ancient Rome.

message 57: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri | 16646 comments Was a surprise to find both books in the mail today. By both I mean book 1 and 2 of this series. I could have started with Emperor's Spy after all. Oh well, I am just as happy to be starting Inquisition first now.

Rome  The Emperor's Spy by M.C. Scott Rome  The Coming of the King by M.C. Scott

message 58: by Darcy, Praefectus Castrorum (last edited May 30, 2012 10:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Darcy (drokka) | 2562 comments I managed to get all my June books at the book shoppe yesterday, including the two for this group. I was expecting them to both be large books, but they're just wee paperbacks. Lucky me, no thumb paralysis next month for me.

message 59: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri | 16646 comments Lol. I was expecting big books too. I don't know why I expe ted Inquisition to be large. Maybe it says 500 pages in its book details.
I expected The Emperor's Spy to be large because it had a big page count. But hey, they ain't so scary!

Which are you going to read first, D?

message 60: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri | 16646 comments Lol. I was expecting big books too. I don't know why I expe ted Inquisition to be large. Maybe it says 500 pages in its book details.
I expected The Emperor's Spy to be large because it had a big page count. But hey, they ain't so scary!

Which are you going to read first, D?

message 61: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri | 16646 comments I must say, I like a good spy or assassin character. They are my favourites...and I *clears throat*...kind of noticed the guy on the cover of my edition of The Emperor's spy is pretty hot. :-) That always helps.

Bobby (bobbej) | 1000 comments Terri wrote: "Lol. I was expecting big books too. I don't know why I expe ted Inquisition to be large. Maybe it says 500 pages in its book details.
I expected The Emperor's Spy to be large because it had a big p..."

I may have mislead you but my paperback copy is around 500 pages! Also, Rome: The Emperor's Spy arrived today. Good timing.

message 63: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri | 16646 comments Which cover of The Emperor's Spy did you get, Bobby? The one in the topic heading, or the one I posted the other day?

message 64: by Darcy, Praefectus Castrorum (new) - rated it 4 stars

Darcy (drokka) | 2562 comments Terri wrote: "Lol. I was expecting big books too. I don't know why I expe ted Inquisition to be large. Maybe it says 500 pages in its book details.
I expected The Emperor's Spy to be large because it had a big p..."

I haven't really decided. I'm torn, but maybe Scott since its chronologically first (by time period). If I have my way, I'll get them both done by the end of the week end.

message 65: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri | 16646 comments That's why I wanted to start with this one too. First Ancient, then Medieval. Oh well. I am set up to do Inquistion first. :-)

Bobby (bobbej) | 1000 comments Terri wrote: "Which cover of The Emperor's Spy did you get, Bobby? The one in the topic heading, or the one I posted the other day?"

The one in the topic heading.

message 67: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Sanchez | 6 comments My librarian was able to track down this book! I'll be able to pick it up on Monday. I'm excited to read along with everyone.

message 68: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri | 16646 comments Oh fantastic, Megan! I was disappointed that we'd lost you. Being your first group read in A&M, it was going to be great to have you along. Yay. :-)

message 69: by Dawn, A mari usque ad mare (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (CaveatLector) | 4703 comments Well, I attempted to start this today. I picked it up from the library and then ended up going out for lunch with a girlfriend so couldn't read it then, got stuck waiting for a train and read 3 pages on th way home and then get sidetracked by 'Whitechapel' and 'So you think you can Dance'.
So all I can say is the first 3 pages are good but I'll have to wait until I can read a few chapters to find out if the rest of the book is promising......

message 70: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri | 16646 comments Sometimes life just gets in the way of a good reading session. :D

message 71: by Dawn, A mari usque ad mare (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (CaveatLector) | 4703 comments For those who opted out of this book for religious reasons I have read enough to know that this is most definitely not the book for you. :( It goes far beyond the original concerns and changes most of the new testament story.

On the plus side for anyone who is planning on reading it.....I'm finding it very interesting and it hooked me with the characters and the story in the first chapter. :)

message 72: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri | 16646 comments Luckily, not religious so not bothered by the religious stuff. I am excited to see that you are hooked. Can't wait to get to this one!!!

message 73: by Dawn, A mari usque ad mare (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (CaveatLector) | 4703 comments And you've read the first series too right? 'Cause there are several characters that are continued in this series.

message 74: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Sanchez | 6 comments I picked up this book today at the library and, after reading the first couple of pages, I'm more excited about getting into it. I'll probably really get into it this weekend.

message 75: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri | 16646 comments Hi Megan! :-)
I'm still a few days off starting this one as I am in the middle of our other group read, Inquisition.

Dawn and I have been working on July's group read suggestions. We are going to put up a couple polls for voting. Two polls, two books in each of those polls. The winner of each group of two goes through.
We've tried to select books for voting on that are easier to find in the US.

message 76: by Dawn, A mari usque ad mare (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (CaveatLector) | 4703 comments I am 35% in and I really like it so far. Good writing, great characters, and really good story.

message 77: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri | 16646 comments Dawn wrote: "I am 35% in and I really like it so far. Good writing, great characters, and really good story."

Very good news. :-)

message 78: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri | 16646 comments If anyone didn't get their invite to vote on the July Group read, go here;
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...
I had a whoopsie and some people didn't get their invites.

(I'll put this same message on the Inquisition thread too)

message 79: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri | 16646 comments I startes this last night and can I say...WOW!! What a terrific start. Instantly addictive and I can see how you guys got hooked straight away.
That part where it 'really' kicked off...the wharf, the kid in his hat, the stranger coming off the boat (trying not to give away spoilers here)....that was a bitchen start.

It has been a while since I read the first few books in Scott's Dreaming the Eagle/Boudica series, but I was reminded while reading The Emperor's spy how excellent and talented a writer she is. I was blown away by it in that Boudica series and I am blown away by it again.

message 80: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Good to hear! But I think I'll start with Scott's Boudica series so I can get the proper background. :)

message 81: by Dawn, A mari usque ad mare (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (CaveatLector) | 4703 comments It's still got me hooked 182 pages in. Nero is a great character, I'm really liking how she's written him.

message 82: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri | 16646 comments This Assassin, Sebastos Pantera currently epitomises what i like in an Assassin. Love this character.
Pantera is also a favourite band of mine. :-)

message 83: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri | 16646 comments I got in an hour or so reading this afternoon and burned through to page 85. Loving it. Great characters.

Since I didn't read all the books in the Boudica series, I am finding out how it ended.

Honestly, I think that a person can read this book no worries without having finished the Boudica books. The only problem is that if one ever plans on reading the Boudica series, you are going to already know how a few characters endings turn out if you read this book.
However, if someone doesn't care if they read Boudica, and could give it a miss, you will still thoroughly enjoy this book. You don't need to know what happened in the Boudica series to get into the Emperor's Spy.
As mentioned, I never finished the Boudica series and I am loving this book.
It may be fun for some people who have read the former series to connect some dots, but for those who haven't read it, it will not interfere with your enjoyment factor.

message 84: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Good to know, thanks Terri.

message 85: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa | 33 comments I decided that I will have to read the Boudica series first. I had no idea that there would be characters in this book that were from another series. I'm glad I found out before starting it lol ;)

message 86: by Tasha (last edited Jun 08, 2012 04:45AM) (new)

Tasha I'm waiting to read the Boudica series first too. I'll try for a summer read.

message 87: by Tim (new)

Tim Hodkinson (TimHodkinson) | 527 comments I'm about one fifth in and so far its an interesting read. Great sense of time/place. Anyone finished it yet?

message 88: by Dawn, A mari usque ad mare (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (CaveatLector) | 4703 comments Not finished yet, I'm trying to make it last two weeks so I won't be finished until about the 14th.

message 89: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri | 16646 comments Tim,
Great to have you along, mate. I didn't realise you were also in for a penny in for a pound.

Up to page 110. Still right into it!

message 90: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri | 16646 comments The Boudica books are very, very different to this book. The Boudica books, being Ancient Britain and this new series being set in Rome.
But the major difference is the rather 'fantasy' or 'supernatural' feel that the Boudica series has. There is a lot of future reading. Reading the auguries, their healers and seers seeing future events and heaps of 'dreaming' such as you might find the American Indians doing on payote.
If you don't like witchdoctory and trance like dreaming sequences, then Boudica is not for you..this new series would be for you.

In saying that, I enjoyed the three books from the Boudica series that i read, I just got over the spiritual witchdoctory by the third book and never went on and finished the series up.

Dreaming the Eagle (Boudica, #1) by Manda Scott Dreaming the Bull (Boudica, #2) by Manda Scott Dreaming the Hound (Boudica, #3) by Manda Scott Dreaming the Serpent Spear (Boudica, #4) by Manda Scott

message 91: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Well, that's interesting. I think that has completely changed my idea. I'm not sure i'd like all that. Thanks. :)

message 92: by Dawn, A mari usque ad mare (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (CaveatLector) | 4703 comments If that doesn't seem like your cup of tea you may want to skip these ones too, I am getting the feeling that the story is going to head in the same direction eventually. :)

I also think this story is going to be more connected to the Boudica series than it seems at present. But these are just vague impressions to far.

message 93: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I just read some of the reviews on here and it sounds like most people loved the Boudica series. My library has the book so still just might try it. Did you read it Dawn? What did you think?

message 94: by Dawn, A mari usque ad mare (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (CaveatLector) | 4703 comments Haven't read it, this is my first Manda Scott book. Tempted to go back in time and read them.....the writing is so good in this one. :)

message 95: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri | 16646 comments She sure is an excellent writer. She was as good in the Boudica series.

message 96: by Tasha (last edited Jun 09, 2012 04:33AM) (new)

Tasha That's the other thing, many say how good the writing is.

message 97: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terri | 16646 comments You'll see authors here in our group mention that her writing helped inspire them to write or write better. She really is that good.
I think you would like this book so far, but then, I also think you would like Dreaming the Eagle (Boudica, #1) by Manda Scott too.

message 98: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I will give Boudica a summer start. :)

message 99: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I thought I'd give my library a book request to buy this one. I just asked them to order 2 books last month (which they did!) so I'm going to see what they say about a request again. they have her Boudica series so I'm thinking I may have a good shot.

message 100: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa | 33 comments Hmmmmmm yeah I'm not into witchdoctory and supernatural. Glad you said that about the Boudica series. I think I'll skip them now.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Boudica: Dreaming the Eagle (other topics)
Rome: The Emperor's Spy (other topics)
Rome: The Coming of the King (other topics)
Rome: The Eagle of the Twelfth (other topics)
Inquisition (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Manda Scott (other topics)
Simon Scarrow (other topics)