SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Divergent (Divergent, #1)
This topic is about Divergent
Member Buddy Reads > May Buddy Read: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Leah | 456 comments We are reading Divergent the first week / second week in May in preparation for Insurgent!

Leah | 456 comments For me this is a re-read, and I can't wait!! This book always makes me want go get a tattoo though ;)

Jean (Jkat9) | 361 comments Leah wrote: "This book always makes me want go get a tattoo though ;)"

Exactly! I wanted to get a tattoo after reading this one, too. I can't wait for our Insurgent buddy read coming up. : )

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments Awesome ill get started now too! Have been looking forward for this :)

Kate (ficthoughts) | 251 comments I love Dauntless... I'd probably end up covered head to toe in tattoos if that was my faction :P

Leah | 456 comments Kate wrote: "I love Dauntless... I'd probably end up covered head to toe in tattoos if that was my faction :P"

Same as me!

After the book introduces the reader to the factions, I just kept thinking, GAWD I hope that Tris chooses Dauntless, otherwise this book will be a lot more boring! I like to think that I would belong in Dauntless, but I bet everyone who reads this book things that ;)

Kate (ficthoughts) | 251 comments I'd love to be a Dauntless...
I'd probably end up factionless :P

Leah | 456 comments How's the read going for everyone? I love reading this book for a second time. Still as good as I remember.

Does anyone know what the cover means/symbolizes? Obviously that's supposed to be Chicago in the background, but I can't remember if the fire or symbol is specifically mentioned. Or maybe I just haven't reached that point yet...

Kate (ficthoughts) | 251 comments Fire is the Dauntless symbol. Isn't it?

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments Leah wrote: "How's the read going for everyone? I love reading this book for a second time. Still as good as I remember."

I am just finishing off Delirium and then this will be next on the list. Think I'll start within the next day or so! Where are you up to Leah?

Leah | 456 comments Jeann wrote: "Leah wrote: "How's the read going for everyone? I love reading this book for a second time. Still as good as I remember."

I am just finishing off Delirium and then this will be next on the list. T..."

I'm over half done. I'm doing a bit of skimming so it's going quick. But let me know once you are reading, it will still be fresh so we can chat about whatever chapter you are at, at that point :)

Leah | 456 comments Kate wrote: "Fire is the Dauntless symbol. Isn't it?"

Yes. I'm slow. Does the actual shape of the fire mean anything? Or is it just the way the fire is supposed to look at the faction choosing ceremony?

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments No problems, I'm looking forward to discussions about it :)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments Loving Diversion so far, the book I have has really big font so its really easy to read. I love the whole factions thing, Tris is just getting initiated at the moment.

Leah | 456 comments Jeann wrote: "Loving Diversion so far, the book I have has really big font so its really easy to read. I love the whole factions thing, Tris is just getting initiated at the moment."

It only gets better from there. My favourite part of the book was when she just joins her new faction. I found it really fascinating, especially how her Abnegation upbringing plays into everything she does and all of her decisions.

message 16: by Jeann (Happy Indulgence) (last edited May 10, 2012 03:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments Wow I got really sucked into this book and am nearly at the end! (view spoiler) Read most of it last night, will finish off today. I just can't stay up reading a book because my eyes get droopy and can't take anything in after a given point.

I love how at the start, her Abnegation upbringing conflicts with her Dauntless attributes, but slowly, the Dauntless behaviour starts taking over. Totally going to get into the sequel after this!

Jean (Jkat9) | 361 comments Jeann wrote: "Wow I got really sucked into this book and am nearly at the end! [spoilers removed] Read most of it last night, will finish off today. I just can't stay up reading a book because my eyes get droopy..."

I'm surprised you were able to go to sleep during such an exciting scene. I end up staying up way past my bedtime, because I get to an exciting scene and then can't go to bed until I know the characters are okay.

Jean (Jkat9) | 361 comments Head on over to the Insurgent buddy read when you all are ready.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

message 19: by Jeann (Happy Indulgence) (last edited May 10, 2012 08:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments Will do - I just ordered Insurgent from Book depository and hoping it gets here quickly!

Jean - I know, I wish I could actually stay up and read to the end but after a certain point my brain shuts off and demands rest! It's a bother too because then I've usually got work in the morning and I can't find out what happens until later.

Speaking of which, just finished off Divergent at lunch time, what a thrilling read! Definitely 5 stars for sure! This totally deserved the GoodReads award :)

I feel really sad for Tris and can't believe she lost so much. :(

Leah | 456 comments Jeann wrote: "Will do - I just ordered Insurgent from Book depository and hoping it gets here quickly!

Jean - I know, I wish I could actually stay up and read to the end but after a certain point my brain shuts..."

So glad you liked it!!!!!!! You're lucky because now you get to dig into Insurgent pretty quickly afterwards. I've just started Insurgent and I'm really glad I did the Divergent re-read. It helped a lot.

Jean (Jkat9) | 361 comments Jeann wrote: "Will do - I just ordered Insurgent from Book depository and hoping it gets here quickly!

Jean - I know, I wish I could actually stay up and read to the end but after a certain point my brain shuts..."

Actually, I kind of wish I didn't have to stay up late to read sometimes. I need my sleep. : ) But I can't fall asleep when I'm wondering how the characters are going to get out of whatever mess they're in. If I stay up late, then that means it's a good book.

Leah is right. You're lucky that you don't have to wait for Insurgent. I'm about a third of the way in, and it's pretty good (just as good as Divergent so far). Hope you get your copy soon.

message 22: by Jeann (Happy Indulgence) (last edited May 11, 2012 12:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments Ooh glad to hear that it is as good as Divergent, I've read really good reviews. Will join you guys in the Insurgent thread soon! :)

I reviewed Divergent if you guys are interested in hearing my thoughts on it - http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Christine | 845 comments Can someone remind me, in the first book does the author tell us who runs the train that circles the city? I can't remember if I just assumed it's Dauntless, or if she actually told us or if it's someone else and I'm wrong. I don't know why that darn train is bothering me. I think it kind of creeps me out the way I picture it just endlessly circling the city....

Lis | 2072 comments I'm late to the game, but decided to join too. I needed something new to listen to while doing outside work and this looked like a good one.

Jean (Jkat9) | 361 comments Lis wrote: "I'm late to the game, but decided to join too. I needed something new to listen to while doing outside work and this looked like a good one."

It's definitely exciting. Hope you enjoy it!

unread topics | mark unread