Goodreads Author Feedback Group discussion

Ask Goodreads > Video Book Trailers

Comments (showing 116-165)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 165: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Connell (SharonKConnell) | 107 comments Yes, thank you for the link, Lori.

message 164: by Laura (new)

Laura | 21 comments Thanks. That's a useful tip.

message 163: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Feldman (Nadine_Feldman) | 7 comments Lori wrote: "Leanne wrote: "For those of you using music in the background, are you obtaining rights to the music?"

I used this royalty-free music site:

http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-...

Under the C..."

Incompetech is a good recommendation. I have used their site to make yoga recordings.

message 162: by Lori (new)

Lori Schafer | 41 comments Leanne wrote: "For those of you using music in the background, are you obtaining rights to the music?"

I used this royalty-free music site:

http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-...

Under the Creative Commons license, they require attribution, but that was no problem for me.

message 161: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) | 116 comments I use a combination of Photoshop, Powerpoint, Quicktime, and iMovie to produce my trailers. And yes, I use only licensed, royalty free, or creative commons photos, videos, and music.

message 160: by Johnny (new)

Johnny Walker (Ekko_Johnny) | 17 comments Also, downloading pics from Google and other places can be tracked. So yeah, be careful.

message 159: by Johnny (new)

Johnny Walker (Ekko_Johnny) | 17 comments Hey guys,

@ Christian, I used a few pics from Wkipedia Commons. Read the license associated with each pic. Most are free as long as you give credit. There are thousands, and sadly, most are not useable. But I did mange to sift through and find a few that worked perfectly for my project. Free or not, you'll spend some (agonizing) time sorting through thousands of pics. (Dreamstime, Kozzi, Shutterstock, etc.)

On the subject of music; I have some clips I would allow being used in exchange for credit. I've had a few podcast people use some of my tunes, but my music is a classic rock-n-roll style, not the typical fit. I do have some 30 second clips and an instrumental which can be trimmed to fit a trailer.

If interested, see this link; https://soundcloud.com/nathan_juju
Suggested;1) Mysterious instrumental: 'Quitman Highway' intro. 2) Strings instrumental with band: 'Papa Music' - short clip or full song.

You can also sort through local bands and indies. Like me, they're just trying to get their music out there. Get a basic license from the Internet and word it to cover what you need.

Bottom line is; all of these clearances and licenses are part of the publishing process, the details many authors don't talk about. I have hundreds of licenses. It's a pain in the arse, but they're extremely important.

Johnny

message 158: by Christian (new)

Christian Clason (christianclason) | 10 comments Pattimari wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Can anyone tell me where to find out which pictures that are called "free" actually have stipulations for their use? When you call up pictures included in Creative Commons, how do y..."

It's not true.
Most people assume pix they find on bing and google are free...but most of them are copyrighted/owned. Most people using them don't find out unless their use of the picture is stumbled upon and they end up with a slap on the wrist by the host of their blog/website or a notice of copyright malpractice.
So, yea...be careful.

message 157: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Feldman (Nadine_Feldman) | 7 comments Crispian wrote: "Personally, I think making your own, whether from stills or video is the better route for indie-authors just starting out. Keep costs low.

Sure, you could hire someone to make a video for you, but..."

Nice job. I haven't thought about a book trailer yet (the book itself is morphing into something different from what I expected), but it's helpful to know I could do something like this on my own. I'd rather put my expense into good editing and cover, and I have a geeky side that loves to play with software!

message 156: by Leanne (new)

Leanne Ellis | 4 comments That works... thanks!

message 155: by Crispian (last edited Jan 14, 2015 09:38AM) (new)

Crispian Thurlborn (crispianthurlborn) Sorry about that. I've fixed the original link now ;)

And here: How to Legally Use Music in Your Films and Videos

message 154: by Leanne (new)

Leanne Ellis | 4 comments Thanks for your thoughts, Crispian. I agree... it is a burdensome hassle. Do you have another link to the article? The original one isn't working, and I'd love to read it.

message 153: by Crispian (new)

Crispian Thurlborn (crispianthurlborn) Leanne wrote: "So did you just use the music in your video? Are you worried that could cause a problem? Thanks for the link!"

Hello Leanne! You're welcome...

I did try finding the correct channels, but became entangled and got nowhere very quickly. I was happy to ask for permission, but I just couldn't navigate the red tape. In 2015 and with the way video, music, and social media dominate society, I would expect a much more streamlined procedure. It shouldn't be so difficult to contact someone about a licence.

I agonised over using the track, but eventually decided that I would go ahead as I could find nothing else that fit what I had in mind. If I receive complaints or notice then I am happy to remove the work.

Sometime ago, I wrote an article on the 3am 'phenomena' for a website. A few years later I was then contacted by an indie film maker who wanted to know if he could use the article in one of his scenes. I agreed and just asked for acknowledgement. No money. No hassle. Just two emails and a credit.

I was content that something I wrote inspired something in someone else. It's a shame when creativity gets enslaved by economics.

message 152: by Leanne (last edited Jan 14, 2015 08:55AM) (new)

Leanne Ellis | 4 comments So did you just use the music in your video? Are you worried that could cause a problem? Thanks for the link, but when I click on it, it says Page Not Found. Is it working for you?

message 151: by Crispian (last edited Jan 14, 2015 08:55AM) (new)

Crispian Thurlborn (crispianthurlborn) Leanne wrote: "For those of you using music in the background, are you obtaining rights to the music?"

That's a very good point. A great article on this can be found here: How to Legally Use Music in Your Films and Videos

From experience, it's exceptionally difficult to find who to contact. By the time you've tracked down the correct people/rights holders you will have probably already finished writing your next novel.

In some instances, producers/artists don't actually care (I did say some). It's always better to try and find out, but be prepared to waste a lot of writing time in the search. If you do get a response then you'll probably wish you never bothered. The licence fee will probably be ridiculously overpriced for the segment that you want.

You could of course just use it anyway and make mention of the work in your video, although that won't save you if the music companies come calling.

To be honest, I find the whole process ridiculous. Not in the sense that you should ask the artist beforehand if you can use their creation, but in the complexity involved when trying to ask.

message 150: by Leanne (new)

Leanne Ellis | 4 comments For those of you using music in the background, are you obtaining rights to the music?

message 149: by Katheryn (new)

Katheryn Haddad | 6 comments I use Powtoon to create trailers. It's easy.

message 148: by Crispian (last edited Jan 14, 2015 08:21AM) (new)

Crispian Thurlborn (crispianthurlborn) Personally, I think making your own, whether from stills or video is the better route for indie-authors just starting out. Keep costs low.

Sure, you could hire someone to make a video for you, but based upon the ridiculous prices often charged it wouldn't make much sense. You'd either have to be well established with a sound reader base or fairly certain that your book was going to sell very well.

Most computers provide basic video creation software these days. It will get the job done and you'll get better as you go. Why pass up the chance to express another side of your creativity? If you make it yourself then it really doesn't matter whether it pushes more books. After all, there's more to writing than just profit and sales.

message 147: by Laila (new)

Laila Savolainen (AboutLaila) | 1 comments I agree, shifting the videos/book trailers to top of page is a great idea. I both as an author and reader love watching them, they are an effective way to introduce a novel.

message 146: by Lori (new)

Lori Schafer | 41 comments I put together a trailer for my memoir On Hearing of My Mother's Death Six Years After It Happened using free stock photos and Windows Movie Maker:

http://youtu.be/sMI39OJn7NE

I don't know whether it's sold any books or not, but it has gotten a lot of positive response on social media, so for what I spent on it, it was definitely worth doing ;) And honestly, for me, I think the simplicity of production worked better to convey the mood of my book than a more cinematic trailer would have done. But I doubt that my method would have worked as well for sci-fi or action-adventure.

Like others, I'm curious as to where everyone is promoting their trailers. I've got mine on my website, YouTube, Amazon author page, and here on Goodreads, and in addition I promote it regularly on Twitter. However, beyond that, I'm at a loss as to what to do with it, and I wonder how I would ever recoup my costs if, for future books, I were to have a trailer professionally made.

For those who are considering making their own trailer, there's an interesting backstory on how I came up with the idea for mine - here's a link to the post on my website if you're curious:

http://lorilschafer.com/2014/12/09/as...

message 145: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth SaFleur | 14 comments Sharon wrote: "Also, I found out today, if you save the video as an MP4, you don't lose the pictures."

Ah, good tip.

message 144: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth SaFleur | 14 comments Evels wrote: "I hired Opal Campbell of Videos by O."

Thanks for sharing your resource. I'd love to hire someone next time. Do you have contact info? Would she be willing to do erotic romance, do you think?

message 143: by Evels (new)

Evels | 2 comments Sharon wrote: "Also, I found out today, if you save the video as an MP4, you don't lose the pictures."

Yes, that's true.

message 142: by Evels (new)

Evels | 2 comments My first book trailer for the Essence, I did myself on Stupefix. It was fun to do but after seeing other book trailers, I realized my book trailer wasn't as professionally done as others. For 204 East Broadway, I hired Opal Campbell of Videos by O. She captured the feel of the book like I wanted. I think book trailers are a very important marketing tool. Can't wait to see what Opal comes up with for my upcoming detective novel that intend to finish this year.

message 141: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Connell (SharonKConnell) | 107 comments Also, I found out today, if you save the video as an MP4, you don't lose the pictures.

message 140: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Connell (SharonKConnell) | 107 comments Thanks. I've taken to starting a file folder in my pictures to keep all the pictures I have used on my book trailers so that I have them ready should I need them.

message 139: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth SaFleur | 14 comments Sharon wrote: "Still, I can go to YT and jot down the scenes that I used for the video, so it's not all lost. "

So glad you could find it. I don't know why it does that. Microsoft! Sheesh....

message 138: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Connell (SharonKConnell) | 107 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Movie maker, for some reason, lost all my pictures for that video and so it's going to take a little bit to get the same pictures planted in ther..."

It's done that to me, too. Ah, ..."

Thanks, Elizabeth. Nice to know that I'm not alone in this. Misery loves company. hee hee hee It's actually done this to me 3 times but this is the only time that it really mattered. Still, I can go to YT and jot down the scenes that I used for the video, so it's not all lost.

message 137: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth SaFleur | 14 comments Sharon wrote: "Movie maker, for some reason, lost all my pictures for that video and so it's going to take a little bit to get the same pictures planted in ther..."

It's done that to me, too. Ah, technology!

message 136: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Connell (SharonKConnell) | 107 comments Thanks, Elizabeth. I figured I'd have to do that. Movie maker, for some reason, lost all my pictures for that video and so it's going to take a little bit to get the same pictures planted in there again.

message 135: by Elizabeth (last edited Jan 03, 2015 10:51AM) (new)

Elizabeth SaFleur | 14 comments Sharon wrote: "That's okay. I said "handson" when I meant "handsome" (see above). hee hee Now I'm not sure how to fix it, short of making a brand new video, as it's already at YouTube."
Sharon, you can take the video down off YouTube. Correct it wherever you originally made it, and then repost. I've had to do that several times!

message 134: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Connell (SharonKConnell) | 107 comments That's okay. I said "handson" when I meant "handsome" (see above). hee hee Now I'm not sure how to fix it, short of making a brand new video, as it's already at YouTube.

message 133: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (AaronBurdette) | 89 comments You're welcome! Also, I realize I said "righthand side," when it's really on the lefthand side. Whoops!

message 132: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Connell (SharonKConnell) | 107 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Hi - oh, good, Aaron got to you before I did. Yes, the author page!"

Thanks to you too, Elizabeth. I got it on there now. :D

message 131: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth SaFleur | 14 comments Hi - oh, good, Aaron got to you before I did. Yes, the author page!

message 130: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Connell (SharonKConnell) | 107 comments Aaron wrote: "Hi Sharon, if you view your author page, you should see "Videos" on the righthand side. There is an "add new" link within that box. You can also go here:

https://www.goodreads.com/videos/new_......"

Thank you, Aaron. I didn't know I had to go to my profile page. I thought it would be on the author's page. Got it now. Thanks for your help.

message 129: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (AaronBurdette) | 89 comments Hi Sharon, if you view your author page, you should see "Videos" on the righthand side. There is an "add new" link within that box. You can also go here:

https://www.goodreads.com/videos/new_...

message 128: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Connell (SharonKConnell) | 107 comments Haven't seen it. I thought there was one before but now I cannot locate it. Can you give me an idea where it would be. Maybe I can't see the forest for the trees, so to speak. I appreciate your help Elizabeth. :D

message 127: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth SaFleur | 14 comments Sharon wrote: "It is up on Youtube but I don't see anywhere where you can post it on the author page. I have the link, listed above in my post."

Hmmm, on your author page you should see an option on upload a video?

message 126: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Connell (SharonKConnell) | 107 comments It is up on Youtube but I don't see anywhere where you can post it on the author page. I have the link, listed above in my post.

message 125: by R.L. (new)

R.L. Henry (RLHENRY) | 8 comments if that doesn't work you will need to go into your librarian settings.

message 124: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth SaFleur | 14 comments Sharon wrote: "Can anyone explain to me how you add a link to your book trailers here on Goodreads?"

Sharon, if you can get your trailer up on Youtube, you just need to provide that YouTube link. That's the easiest way! :-)

message 123: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Connell (SharonKConnell) | 107 comments Can anyone explain to me how you add a link to your book trailers here on Goodreads?

message 122: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Connell (SharonKConnell) | 107 comments Finished my third novel, There Abideth Hope before Christmas and here's my book trailer. Would love to know what you all think.

http://youtu.be/16G7IZaZB9Y

message 121: by R.L. (new)

R.L. Henry (RLHENRY) | 8 comments Thank you Pamela for the wonderful compliment!! You made my day :)

message 120: by Pamela Murrey (new)

Pamela Murrey | 6 comments Wow. I don't have any good suggestions but I have to tell you that the trailer was good enough to make me want to check out the book!

message 119: by R.L. (new)

R.L. Henry (RLHENRY) | 8 comments Thank you P.D. and Tony! I will look into both! :)

message 118: by Tony (new)

Tony Latham (TonyLatham) | 27 comments Youtube for sure. I think your hits will depend on your searchable keywords. Expand the title of the video way beyond what the book title is and use words that your market might search for.

message 117: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) | 116 comments I do linkedin as well.

message 116: by R.L. (new)

R.L. Henry (RLHENRY) | 8 comments Hello, I put together a book trailer for my recently released novel. I have it on my author amazon page, goodreads profile and placed it on twitter. Has anyone had good experience with exposure using book trailers? I saw that Tony has gotten many views on youtube from his. Does anyone have any suggestions for me about book trailers and where to distribute them?

Here is the link to mine: https://plus.google.com/app/basic/str...

Happy New Year!
Rebecca :)

« previous 1 3 4
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Cosmic Dancer: An Interdimensional Fantasy (other topics)