Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Vegan Cookbooks > Practically Raw by Amber Shea Crawley

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terri Lynn (new)

Terri Lynn (terrilynnmerritts) | 30 comments The president of Vegan Heritage Press is a friend and he always sends me their books to review since I administer three large Facebook pages for vegetarians/vegans. This is the latest one I received called Practically RAW: Flexible Raw Recipes Anyone Can Make and I am so excited about the recipes here!!! Our family is not and never will be raw vegans but the recipes here are incredible and she even offers cooking instructions for if you want to cook the recipes instead of having them raw.

I was wondering if any of you have read this cookbook and tried the recipes yet and if so, what do you think?

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) I haven't but it looks wonderful. I love how there are cooking instructions if you want to eat the foods cooked vs. raw. I think I'll add this book to my to-read shelf.

message 3: by Terri Lynn (new)

Terri Lynn (terrilynnmerritts) | 30 comments You have got to see these recipes , Lisa!!! There are things like Chocolate Covered Cookie Dough Truffles, Sugared Doughnut Holes, Strawberry Cheesecake Gelato, Cinnamon Crumble Coffee Cakes, Fiesta Taco Roll-ups, Cantonese Veggie Stir-Fry, Purple Pearberry Smoothie, Sour Cream and Onion Kale Chips, Breakfast Banana Split, Cherry Mash Smoothie, Chewy Pear Chips, Marinated Broccoli and Red Pepper, Mango Lassi, and Cherry Mash Smoothie. I could literally SWOON!

Our family is not raw vegan but some things we enjoy raw and others (like broccoli dishes) we want cooked. There are some recipes I have never seen in any version which is saying something since I read so many vegan (and non-vegan) cookbooks every year. My husband and teenaged daughter went crazy over the book and want to try pretty much everything. I like the idea of having more raw or low cooking recipes when the weather is warm.

message 4: by Terri Lynn (new)

Terri Lynn (terrilynnmerritts) | 30 comments I suggested to the publisher Jon in an email I sent tonight that he offer a free copy of this book in the Goodreads Giveaways.

message 5: by Don (new)

Don (Bayfrontguy) I've noticed that book before and it looks good. I'm not on the raw vegan bandwagon either, but notice I do eat a lot of raw stuff mostly in the form of salads and fruit and some of the recipes look interesting. I have a gift certificate coming soon for my birthday and I'm thinking this book might be worth it just for the hummus recipes.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Terri Lynn wrote: "I suggested to the publisher Jon in an email I sent tonight that he offer a free copy of this book in the Goodreads Giveaways."

That would be wonderful. Please (anybody) let us know if you see it being offered. My library does not have it, yet. I think I'll request that they buy it. They do get MANY vegan cookbooks. Thanks, Terri Lynn.

message 7: by Terri Lynn (new)

Terri Lynn (terrilynnmerritts) | 30 comments I think you would like it Don. The hummus recipes are fantastic and almost all of the recipes have instructions for cooking.

Great idea, Lisa! I am going to do the same.

message 8: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee (LeeKat) | 1027 comments Mod
Sounds like a great book, Terri Lynn. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

message 9: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Jorgensen | 48 comments I will definitely have to get this one when I have more time to cook from books, it looks great.

message 10: by Don (new)

Don (Bayfrontguy) I decided to get it, but after reading it I realistically decided it probably wasn't one that I was going to use often. I gave it away to my only real life vegan friend that goes through long periods of being a raw foodist and is practically raw herself. I think it has some great ideas and is very unique in the approach but I didn't want it to sit and collect dust.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Don, Very thoughtful of you. Of course, just as we veganize "traditional recipes" we could change some raw to cooked and some cooked to raw too.

message 12: by Terri Lynn (new)

Terri Lynn (terrilynnmerritts) | 30 comments That is sweet of you Don! Yes, Lisa, this cookbook actually shows how to turn pretty much all of the recipes to a cooked version.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Terri Lynn wrote: "That is sweet of you Don! Yes, Lisa, this cookbook actually shows how to turn pretty much all of the recipes to a cooked version."

My kind of raw cookbook! While I aim to eat more raw foods than I do, I'm not much of a raw food person. I love my beans & whole grains & cooked tomato sauces, etc. etc. way too much.

message 14: by Terri Lynn (new)

Terri Lynn (terrilynnmerritts) | 30 comments We are the same Lisa. I love a lot of the raw desserts but I want my broccoli and cauliflower cooked.

message 15: by Lisa (last edited Jul 09, 2012 05:10PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Terri Lynn wrote: "We are the same Lisa. I love a lot of the raw desserts but I want my broccoli and cauliflower cooked."

Terri Lynn, Yes, my favorite way to eat those vegetables is steamed, or cooked in soups. Raw is okay occasionally with some hummus or a small snack, but not for my typical way of eating them.

message 16: by Monica (new)

Monica | 83 comments I have made the naked kale chips several times using an oven. This recipe is so easy to make and makes it very easy to eat your greens. We can easily eat two bunches of kale for a snack - my kids love them.

Chia porridge with blueberries: I have wanted to try chia for a while now and this took two minutes to make. I followed the main recipe, but next time I will follow the variation to make a thicker porridge. Very filling and made a great breakfast.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Thanks, Monica. They both sound delicious.

message 18: by Melissa (last edited Sep 15, 2012 11:59PM) (new)

Melissa (MelissaBalick) | 27 comments This book is amazing and definitely worth getting!

I am not a raw foodist by any stretch, but I wanted to get some raw books because I'm trying to greatly reduce my reliance on food that is not whole foods.

What is so great about this book is that almost everything has an option for cooking the recipe. This is great for me because I do not have a dehydrator.

Also, it provides alternatives for anything you maybe won't have. So, if you don't want to get or make coconut flour, you can use almond flour. Or if you don't have any chia seeds, you can use flax seed. I have a very well-stocked kitchen and this has still been really useful for me.

This book has a recipe I'd been wanting for years. I'm not crazy about sweet zucchini bread. I mean, it's fine, I like it, but I don't prefer it. I've always wanted a savory zucchini bread, and I've tried a few recipes and they're always crap. But this book has a recipe for Rosemary-Garlic bread that uses zucchini, and it is FLIPPIN' AMAZING. I'm seriously so incredibly shocked that the best savory zucchini bread recipe I ever found is also gluten free and could be dehydrated instead of baked to be eaten raw.

message 19: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Cool! You've managed to get me excited about savory zucchini bread! I shouldn't read these posts before breakfast, LOL!

message 20: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Lee wrote: "Cool! You've managed to get me excited about savory zucchini bread! I shouldn't read these posts before breakfast, LOL!"

I know I am salivating just thinking about that, sigh.

message 21: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

I'm supposed to be having a green smoothie for breakfast but now all I can think about is bread....

message 22: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Lee wrote: "I'm supposed to be having a green smoothie for breakfast but now all I can think about is bread...."

I know, bread sure is tempting.

message 23: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (MelissaBalick) | 27 comments Ha! I've been juicing in the morning and it's made me very happy. It feels good to drink leafy greens and carrots and green pepper and an apple first thing! It's like, "I'm going to win today!!"

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Melissa wrote: "Ha! I've been juicing in the morning and it's made me very happy. It feels good to drink leafy greens and carrots and green pepper and an apple first thing! It's like, "I'm going to win today!!""

Melissa, Do you use a juicer?

message 25: by Don (new)

Don (Bayfrontguy) I'm too lazy to juice in the morning. Tonight though I threw a bunch of kale in a blender with some water and a banana. It's a great way to get a huge amount of greens in on a day when I haven't had any yet.

My juicer bit the dust this week and just got a new one today that I haven't used yet. I've read good reviews and saw some good videos about this one..which "masticates".....it's dreadfully expensive though and I'm using some prize/gift money and still have to contribute some cash.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001...

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (MelissaBalick) | 27 comments WHOA SO SUPER JEALOUS OF YOUR JUICER. I want one that masticates so badly! Mine is nice, though, I like it. It's this Breville, it's centrifugal. It's not amazing at juicing greens but it's better than most. You just have to pack them in tight, like in a snowball, and push them in with the plunger thingy rather than just letting them fall. I've been juicing in the morning only, I just prepare exactly what I'm going to juice the night before and put it into a grocery store produce bag (I habitually retain those and use them for everything) and in the morning just juice what's in that bag, drink, then often go to bed again before my second alarm clock will go off, because I'm ridiculous, but also because I'm type 1 diabetic and I wake with a lower sugar, starving, so I just wake early, juice, then sleep a little more. Blah blah, this probably doesn't belong in this thread, sorry.

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Melissa, It sounds as though you have it down to a science, which is good given that you have type 1 diabetes, which is nothing to fool around with.

message 28: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Jorgensen | 48 comments I got this book recently and have made a few recipes that have all turned out great - I really like the flexible approach that makes it easy to substitute ingredients.

Chocolate kale chips (cooked) - these are a really tasty way to eat this nutritious green, and my 18 month old liked them too and (with the exception of smoothies) I've never seen him eat leafy greens before.

Baklava nut medley (cooked) - this tastes just like baklava, but without all the hassle of working with filo pastry. Really easy to make and nice to eat.

Vermicelli with pecan cream sauce - Delicious. I made it with walnuts instead, and didn't plan this ahead so I didn't soak the nuts - just added some extra water and left all the ingredients in the blender to soak for a few minutes before blending while the pasta cooked, it still turned out really well. Served it with cooked wholemeal spaghetti and raw sugar snap peas.

Famous 5 minute blondies - really nice, I've made this twice and it's only taken 5 minutes to make before getting to eat it. I used almonds instead of walnuts (this wasn't listed as an alternative ingredient in the book, but worked anyway).

Caramel fudge brownies - delicious. I've had raw brownies before which are always tasty, but the caramel icing on these really turned them into something different. I've made this twice as well.

message 29: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Hilda, do you think many of the recipes would appeal to kids? I don't own any raw cookbooks but would like to add one to my collection. Do you think this would be a good starting place?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Practically RAW: Flexible Raw Recipes Anyone Can Make (other topics)