Oh, schnapps! It's a book club. discussion

The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1)
This topic is about The Thief
The Queen's Thief #1 > Wrap Up (Major Spoilers)

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Anne (last edited May 03, 2012 07:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary Anne Wright (maydelemos) | 131 comments Mod
Rating and overall thoughts
3.5 out of 5
The 5 star rating is a little deceiving since a 3 looks low but it really means (to me) a good book. So, yes, I thought The Thief was a good book especially the last half. Finally! The action that I thought the book would have appeared! And it was good action and great twists. Sorry I can’t say the same for the first half.

Weakness
The lack of action in the first half was definitely the biggest weakness. I thought that a book called The Thief would be way more action packed. I thought we would see more stealing and less travelling. The waiting-for-action was what kept me reading.

Strength
If you like mythology like I do then you liked all the myths about the Gods and the creation of the world. I felt that part of Turner’s world building was well done and added a cultural depth to the book – something that I think is skimmed over in a lot of other books. I also like how she brought them about by having them shared through campfire story telling. Whalen doesn’t do a bad job of scenery either. I thought that was well done. I had an entire map made in my head (is it weird that I made the map Game of Thrones opening credit style?). The revelation of characters and their backgrounds was interesting. Since you're reading from Gen's point of view, it all comes out slowly and eventually just dropped on you. I thought that was fun!

Random 5
1. OMG, POL DIED? I liked him. ):
2. I hated Ambiades, I’m glad Pol pushed him off the mountain.
3. Ever since I started reading, I’ve been French braiding my hair.
4. “The yogurt had enough garlic in it to kill every vampire in the country.” – pg. 38 For some reason, this made me laugh.
5. Seriously, why did Pol have to die?

Christine | 2 comments Mary Anne wrote: "Rating and overall thoughts
3.5 out of 5
The 5 star rating is a little deceiving since a 3 looks low but it really means (to me) a good book. So, yes, I thought The Thief was a good book especially..."

If you liked this one at all, read the second book, The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2) by Megan Whalen Turner.

Sally (kanoe) | 56 comments Mod
We're definitely continuing the series! :)

Mary Anne Wright (maydelemos) | 131 comments Mod
I have a kindle but the covers are so lovely that I bought the set in print. Absolutely gorgeous covers.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Queen of Attolia (other topics)