The Sword and Laser discussion

Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, #1)
This topic is about Hyperion
Hyperion > Music to accompany Hyperion

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonathan | 11 comments I'd like to start a thread for each club book where we discuss music that suits the mood of the book. I listen to music when I read, and I'm sure many of the rest of you do as well.

Because reading a book usually takes several hours, I've been thinking of whole albums, but I'm sure there's some interesting discussion to be had if a single song or playlist comes to mind.

For Hyperion, I've been thinking of the following:

1) Bonobo - Black Sands
2) Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
3) Florence + The Machine - Ceremonials
4) Swarms - Old Raves End

My Tumblr post about this list has more info about each and links to the spotify albums, where possible.

The albums I picked for this book have introspective moments and big, atmospheric sound.

What would you pick?

Murray (MurrayL) Perhaps it's just me, but I can't stand listening to music with lyrics when I'm trying to read.

With that in mind, here's some excellent sci-fi-tinged ambient/electronic to look into:
Fez soundtrack by Disasterpeace
Substrata by Biosphere
The Dig by Michael Land

message 3: by Jonathan (last edited May 03, 2012 08:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jonathan | 11 comments I agree with you, but I'd qualify that I can't stand listening to music with obtrusive lyrics. Familiarity factors in to this; if I've heard an album enough, I don't notice the lyrics anyway.

message 4: by Dharmakirti (last edited May 04, 2012 01:03PM) (new) - added it

Dharmakirti | 824 comments I listen to a lot of opera when I read. Most of the opera I listen to isn't sung in english so when I listen to it, I'm not hearing the words, but hearing the melody, tone and timbre.

One opera that is in English that I particularly enjoy listening to while reading is Einstein on the Beach by Philip Glass. Something about that opera really helps me to focus.

For Hyperion, since it starts out with a reference to Rachmaninoff, I would probably start with Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto #3 performed by Martha Argerich and then continue with some more piano concertos. Since I love Martha Argerich, I would probably go with the Argerich Collection volume 2, which is a collection of piano concerto's Ms. Argerich recorded for Deutsche Grammophon.

Valentin Buck (apexys) | 13 comments While reading Hyperion, I listened to a lot of Ambient music, mostly Rescio and Lecyr, but also a bit Carbon Based Lifeforms.
In the more action heavy sequences, I mixed in some Daft Punk (Tron Legacy Reconfigured), but normally I only use ambient as a sountrack.

message 6: by aldenoneil (new) - added it

aldenoneil | 1000 comments I listen to "Real Housewives of New Jersey," but that's a result of sharing a bedroom with another person.

Cameron | 1 comments I listened to the K-PAX soundtrack while reading it and thought it fit beautiful. Just my two cents.

Diana | 8 comments i randomly had the piano has been drinking by tom waits playing in the background when I started reading the prologue. good times.

P. Aaron Potter (PAaronPotter) | 585 comments How about some minimalism which reflects the themes of decay and turbulence: The Overture to Koyaanisqatsi, courtesy of Phillip Glass.

Tamahome | 4743 comments Spotify playlist anyone?

Murray (MurrayL) Seems like a lot of ambient love in this thread! :)

Tamahome | 4743 comments In that case, Robert Rich's Atlas Dei soundtrack.

Bradley (FertileSpade) Not sure if they're perfect fits for a particular book but some of my favorites for ambiance music include:

Dead Can Dance - Serpent's Egg
Bladerunner soundtrack
This Mortal Coil
Bach's Partitas - played by Glenn Gould
Last Temptation of Christ soundtrack by Peter Gabriel

Nimrod God (NimrodGod) | 273 comments I'll have to try some ambient music while reading just because I can't stand any external stimulus while reading... This includes music with lyrics...

Going to download Bladerunner soundtrack now ;-) Thanks FertileSpade!

Jonathan | 11 comments @P. Aaron, that's a great choice. In this context, it could easily be "Theme for the Sheiks." Still, I can't hear it without thinking of the janitor from Scrubs. Brain trust. Evil eye!

Jonathan | 11 comments @Nimrod, while it may sound counterintuitive, that's exactly why I listen to music. If I don't overload my brain with stimuli that require little attention, I'll constantly get distracted by my environment.

What do you think you'll try, as far as ambient music goes?

message 17: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe (JoePow) | 3 comments Dharmakirti wrote: "One opera that is in English that I particularly enjoy listening to while reading is Einstein on the Beach by Philip Glass. Something about that opera really helps me to focus. "
I was going to suggest Philip Glass as well! My personal favorite of his is Koyaanisqatsi. Perhaps a bit too "chilling" for this book, but it might actually complement it well.

Nimrod God (NimrodGod) | 273 comments @Jonathan - I really liked the Blade Runner suggestion, but one of my all time favorite soundtracks has always been Gladiator... It's tone may compliment the rest of the book pretty well based on what I have read so far... About to start Chapter 2.

Bradley (FertileSpade) Another great one is the soundtrack to the original Conan the Barbarian by Basil Poledouris. It's based on a medieval score called The Carmina Barana (not sure about the spelling).

message 20: by Dharmakirti (last edited May 08, 2012 12:44PM) (new) - added it

Dharmakirti | 824 comments Joe wrote: I was going to suggest Philip Glass as well! My personal favorite of his is Koyaanisqatsi. Perhaps a bit too "chilling" for this book, but it might actually complement it well.

Great score to a great film.

Kenny | 4 comments Rain makes everything better. rainymood.com

message 22: by Dharmakirti (new) - added it

Dharmakirti | 824 comments Another piece that I really enjoy listening to while reading (however, I can't say that this works especially well for Hyperion) is Eliane Radigue's Trilogie de la Mort.

Jonathan | 11 comments The soundtrack to Last of the Mohicans is another great instrumental album for exploration/adventure books.

I'll have to check out the Blade Runner suggestion. I think I'm going to take another look about halfway through; I might make another tumblr post at that time. I have some thoughts about new stuff, and if I get a chance, I'll put together a spotify playlist with all of the suggestions that are available.

@Kenny I agree full-heartedly. I have a noise generator on every device I own, and I make custom mixes like "Wuthering Heights" (clock, horses, wind, fireplace) and "Normandy SR2" to suit my moods. For people that like to tailor their environments, I can't recommend this enough. aSleep is a good iOS app, and Relax and Sleep is one of many great apps for Android. Beyond the website you recommended, naturesoundsfor.me is also worth checking out.

Cameron | 15 comments While reading this book I've been to a lot of Godspeed, You Black Emperor!and Explosions In The Sky. Dark ambient music really seems to fit this book really well.

message 25: by Tamahome (last edited May 09, 2012 07:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tamahome | 4743 comments You can always play Robert Rich's Somnium on Spotify. It's 7 hours long. It originally came out stuffed onto a video dvd, but it's all audio. I think it's the longest album on record.

Jonathan | 11 comments A 7 hour album? After an hour and 12 minutes, the risk that you'll feel tortured starts to climb linearly. Then again, I sat through all 12 hours of the Cremaster series in sequence, so it feels ridiculous to complain.

@Cameron I guess we should be inclusive and add Mogwai to that list, although in some cases I think the lo-fi sound can make post-rock seem out of place for sci-fi.* Some of the drone stuff that's happened in the last 4 years would extend this category into the realm of space fiction: less-vocal stuff from The Field, F*** Buttons.

*hyphen party!

Karly | 79 comments I've been listening to a lot of Sigur Ros (the more minimalist tracks instead of the huge orchestral ones), some Explosions in the Sky, and Riceboy Sleeps. Like many of others, it's easier for me to read listening to music without lyrics. And I think these artists suit the book really well.

Valentin Buck (apexys) | 13 comments Just finished Endymion hearing Voyager: Sounds of the Cosmos in the background. NASA released it into open source, so if you want, you can download it here: https://sites.google.com/site/soundso...

Explosions in the Sky is a really good tip, thank you!

message 29: by aldenoneil (new) - added it

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Valentin wrote: "NASA released it into open source, so if you want, you can download it here:"

Thanks for that - I didn't know these existed.

message 30: by Dharmakirti (new) - added it

Dharmakirti | 824 comments For the ambient fans, I recommend checking out some of BT's (Brian Transeau) stuff on SoundCloud.

http://www.btmusic.com/bt-stream/soun...

Jonathan | 11 comments @Valentin - Thanks for the tip about the Voyager recording. You might be interested in this episode of Radiolab, which has a segment about Ann Druyan (who helped design the Voyager gold records). It's one of the most touching love stories I've ever heard.

@Dharmakirti - Good call on BT. This Binary Universe remains a regular listen for me. If you are an audiophile, or just use a computer for your media setup, it's recorded in 5.1. Sounds great, and really suits the content of this book.

Jonathon Dez-la-lour (jd2607) | 173 comments I've just started reading this and I've ended up listening to Frederic Chopin's nocturnes. Mostly just because the book itself seems to focus on 19th century music and i'm really not much a fan of Rachmaninov or Wagner.

When I get home I'll probably put together something more of a playlist. I think it's all gonna be late classical and romantic period music.

FertileSpade wrote: "Another great one is the soundtrack to the original Conan the Barbarian by Basil Poledouris. It's based on a medieval score called The Carmina Barana (not sure about the spelling)."

Basil Poledouris' score to Conan the Barbarian is pretty awesome. Just as a side note, while the text for Carmina Burana is from somewhere around the 13th century the music is by Carl Orff and is from around 1935.

Cameron | 15 comments Jonathon Dez-la-lour wrote: "I've just started reading this and I've ended up listening to Frederic Chopin's nocturnes."

Brilliant choice!

message 34: by Murray (last edited May 13, 2012 04:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Murray (MurrayL) This might be an obvious choice, but the Mass Effect soundtrack works wonderfully. It's a very Blade Runner-esque electronic/ambience soundtrack.

The Normandy Theme

Along the same lines, the soundtrack for Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

UNATCO Theme

Very fitting.

Katrina | 32 comments Ok, this is definitely not going along with the theme of this thread but I REALLY like the concept album based on Hyperion by the band Manticora. :) It was mentioned in the most recent YouTube episode. Anywho, here is a link to the lyrics. I guess the lyrics would be considered a spoiler if you haven't finished yet. I think they did a great job on the adaptation of the story and I really like the music itself too.

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/mant...

Jonathon Dez-la-lour (jd2607) | 173 comments It's taken a couple of days but I've created a playlist filled with a whole bunch of 19th century music that I've been listening to while reading. If anyone's interested, I can post up a link to my list.

message 38: by Dharmakirti (new) - added it

Dharmakirti | 824 comments Jonathan wrote: "Good call on BT. This Binary Universe remains a regular listen for me. If you are an audiophile, or just use a computer for your media setup, it's recorded in 5.1. Sounds great, and really suits the content of this book. "

"This Binary Universe" is my favorite work by BT and plays pretty much non-stop in my house. When I first purchased it, I did not have a 5.1 setup and I still really enjoyed the album. About 6 months ago, I upgraded my home theater system and I was pretty amazed at the difference in listening to "This Binary Universe" in 5.1 compared to 2.0. The only other 5.1 recording that I have and think competes with "This Binary Universe" is Olga Neuwirth's opera "Lost Highway" (an adaptation of the David Lynch film).

Jonathan | 185 comments For this book, I've actually been listening to some video game music. Specifically, I've been listening to the soundtracks to Advent Rising and both the Halo and Mass Effect games. Just seemed to fit. Then again, the same mix was also used for when I was reading Larry Niven's Ringworld series as well.

unread topics | mark unread