The Most Peculiar Poetry Salon For Particular Poets discussion

Other Observances/CritIques > Getting inspiration...

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth A., Head Hostess (last edited May 02, 2012 09:38PM) (new)

Beth A. | 145 comments Mod
Actually I have a specific question in mind that may not be of interest to all poets so I kept the topic title general. If you have general thoughts about inspiration,that's fine too. But I was thinking of how to write poetry with a spiritual theme. It something I have always been too intimated by to tackle. Simply because I wouldn't know where to begin.

I have a poem on faith,but very subtlety so,done with metaphors of a sort. I find it unlikely people would understand it totally ...which is okay...I am simply curious.

I wiil post that one another day but now is bedtime. : )

message 2: by MizziQ (new)

MizziQ Well I get inspiration from my faith (I'm a Christian) so most of my poems are blatantly obvious. I've tried to write when I'm mad or sad or something...to like get a different feeling across but it always turns out really awful (more awful than the rest of my stuff *grin*). One of my pet peeves is when people use poetry to vent about their life. I don't really want poetry as a definition to be depressing. But anyways I get inspirations from my sermons that I listen to at church and things people say. Like I really like watching TV so I'll pick up a phrase or something they say and try to make something out of it.

message 3: by Beth A., Head Hostess (new)

I agree...I certainly have done some teen angsty poetry but that was a long time ago. i look back on it and want to toss it all out the window. My goal is to make good strong and interesting poetry without being too much of a downer or shocking.

Its that last sentence or two I was looking for...a particular phrase or subject to start it...otherwise I don't know were to begin because it seems such a serious subject. I mostly stick to fiction or at least my version of something ordinary I've noticed. SO writing about my more serious standards is a little imposing. Good advice,thanks.

message 4: by MizziQ (new)

MizziQ Beth A. wrote: "I agree...I certainly have done some teen angsty poetry but that was a long time ago. i look back on it and want to toss it all out the window. My goal is to make good strong and interesting poetry..."

Yha I've done my fair share of depressing stuff. Though I didn't mean to say as though sad stuff is not good. It's just that I went to a couple poetry nights for poetry month lately and it was just ALL depressing and moody I felt really sad for all the people. *shrugs* I like to do abstract stuff but I struggle with making it fit. :) Haha! Maybe someday...

message 5: by Beth A., Head Hostess (new)

I understand,everything has its place. The key is finding the point where theme isn't overwhelming and at that place where everything fits.

message 6: by Chimney (new)

Chimney | 11 comments Nearly all my poetry is depressing, but I try to attempt a story through it. Whether it be a story about a break-up or the simple act of cutting down a tree. I try to send the message that though things seem bad now and doesn't always mean things are going to be bad.

As far as getting inspiration for a spiritual poem (I don't think I have ever written one) maybe try finding some quotes or people that you have a similar belief with? They might inspire you. My most recent poem was inspired from the word wrinkle, I saw the word when I was reading another poem and just had to write. You never really know when or where inspiration will jump out from hiding.

message 7: by Beth A., Head Hostess (last edited May 09, 2012 07:00PM) (new)

You know I guess it should be obvious...I was just thinking i've heard this before in classes but never thought to apply it to more sacred things.

I'll have to give a try sometime. Edited for my bad grammar...oops.

message 8: by Katy (new)

Katy (KathrynField) | 34 comments The best inspiration in my experience, especially when it comes to spirituality, is in a very emotional moment. I only have a couple of favorites of my own poetry. One was written after reading, "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold and the other was written while I was in high school at a retreat with the youth group of my Catholic church. Both are full of hope but the second one starts off heavy and sad while ending with hope and comfort. Hope and comfort are some of the best subjects for spiritual poetry because those are two of the biggest things that spirituality offer us.

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan (Mifalda) | 6 comments Does a poem in parable form count as spiritual? Because that is enough like a story that I have always been able to just consider what particular moral I wanted the story to have and gone form there. Or where you thinking a little bit more on the abstract side of spiritual poems?

message 10: by Beth A., Head Hostess (new)

It depends on how you form it and what you would like to do. I definately think parables are poetic in nature. That is to say,I see parable as stories that teach a lesson and usually poetic stories are more like prose if I understand correctly. Many people will tell you not to be all that abstract with poetry in general. I personally think there isn't any harm in dabbling in it as long as there is a reason and consistentancy to the poem.

The Most Peculiar Poetry Salon For Particular...

unread topics | mark unread