What's The Name of That Book??? discussion

Children's/YA-SOLVED > SOLVED - slo-mo dreams, ufo landing, telekinetic kid [s]

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nomy | 4 comments i read this book when i was about nine, which would have been in the mid-eighties. it's about a girl who is having these recurring dreams where she's moving really slow and there are flashing lights, then she realizes there is another kid from her school in her dream. they start talking about it together and investigating, and they figure out that they were present at a UFO landing when they were little. there was also a pregnant woman there with her dog. they find her and it turns out her child has telekinetic powers and the FBI is after him, and the dog was sending the kids these dreams to try to get their help. there's a climactic scene where the girl and the little boy are at a fair and they get on a ferris wheel to escape the FBI and their seat breaks and the boy uses his powers to make the seat float down to the ground. i think that might have something to do with what's on the cover.

i'm so glad this group exists, i keep asking people about this book and nobody seems to have heard of it.

rivka | 283 comments This one comes up a lot. (In fact, I asked about it a year back.) It's William Sleator's Into the Dream .

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Dec 29, 2008 08:21AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1379 comments Hmm. Something more to be said for adding these books to our group's shelves.

Edit: I just added this book.

Waiting for Nomy's response. Nomy, if this is the book, which it sounds as though it is, please change the folder and add SOLVED! to the topic title. If you don't know how to do this, please post and I'll be happy to do that for you, or another moderator will.

Nomy | 4 comments oh my god that was fast! i can't believe it! yes that's it. thank you.

rivka | 283 comments Like I said, this one comes up a lot. Several other Sleator books do too. There is something about Sleator's prose that sticks with you, long after the complete plot has disappeared from your memory. Like the gummy residue from old tape. ;)

Nomy | 4 comments i will have to look up his other books. do you recommend any in particular?

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1379 comments Years ago I liked (though I thought it was strange) his book House of Stairs.

Corbett | 21 comments If you all liked that story you would love Zenna Henderson's Pilgrimage. It is about people from another planet that crash land on earth and have to learn how to fit in or hide from us crazy humans.

Nomy | 4 comments thanks! put both of those on my "to read" list

unread topics | mark unread