Never Too Old For Y.A. & N.A. Books discussion

290 views
Books > Standalones

Comments (showing 1-50 of 70) (70 new)    post a comment »

Marni (WonderWmn999) | 3464 comments Mod
Please list good YA books that aren't part of a series. Also tell us if it's romance, paranormal, vampires, etc.

Please, do not list books that could work as a standalone but actually isn't, ie Unwind.


Marni (WonderWmn999) | 3464 comments Mod
The Space Between by Brenna Yovanoff Demons, romance, betrayal


Marni (WonderWmn999) | 3464 comments Mod
Forgotten by Cat Patrick Romance...every time she's goes to sleep, she doesn't remember any of the days prior, nor the people, unless she leaves herself a detailed note.


Sylvia  | 12424 comments Mod
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins loved this made me want to travel to France and be young again


Sylvia  | 12424 comments Mod
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver I haven't read it yet but it's meant to be so good!


Sylvia  | 12424 comments Mod
Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma another one I haven't read but is totally heartbreaking...


Sylvia  | 12424 comments Mod
Cross My Heart by Katie Klein I really enjoyed this had mystery, romance and an ending you didn't expect


Julie Reece | 650 comments Heinzypop wrote: "Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins loved this made me want to travel to France and be young again"

Oh my gosh, I so loved this! I wish I hadn't read it yet so could look forward to it! :)


Sylvia  | 12424 comments Mod
Julie wrote: "Heinzypop wrote: "Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins loved this made me want to travel to France and be young again"

Oh my gosh, I so loved this! I wish I hadn't read it yet so could look forwar..."


I know it's one you could read over and over again without getting sick of it!!!


Sherbie (herpassion) | 70 comments Heinzypop wrote: "Julie wrote: "Heinzypop wrote: "Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins loved this made me want to travel to France and be young again"

Oh my gosh, I so loved this! I wish I hadn't read it yet so cou..."


i just borrowed this from the library but it's just there sitting on the corner of my room, i'm a bit afraid it might be too cheesy for me?


Sylvia  | 12424 comments Mod
Sherbie wrote: "Heinzypop wrote: "Julie wrote: "Heinzypop wrote: "Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins loved this made me want to travel to France and be young again"

Oh my gosh, I so loved this! I wish I hadn't ..."


No it's not!! You will really enjoy it :)


Sherbie (herpassion) | 70 comments lol im being too judgmental. when i look at it, i can imagine all the cliches im going to encounter once i flip the pages. :)) but i will give it a try when i'm done with my current reads. thanks heinzy :D


Sylvia  | 12424 comments Mod
Sherbie wrote: "lol im being too judgmental. when i look at it, i can imagine all the cliches im going to encounter once i flip the pages. :)) but i will give it a try when i'm done with my current reads. thanks h..."

You are welcome :)


message 14: by Eliza (last edited May 03, 2012 03:00PM) (new)

Eliza Baum (elizabaum) | 3 comments Oo, good topic. Sometimes I just really want something that doesn't require a multi-book commitment. I've got Anna and the French Kiss on hold at the library, and I'm waiting eagerly for it.

This year I've read and enjoyed:

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire Dream Chaser by Angie Stanton Epic Fail by Claire LaZebnik

I think everything else has been part of a series. I would love more fantasy/paranormal standalones.


Beatrice (beatricemasalunga) | 1018 comments A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella Dear John by Nicholas Sparks
-- I love these books. (Romance books)


A Full Bookshelf (AFullBookshelf) | 6 comments Thank you for starting this thread! I've read most of these, so hopefully more will be listed!

Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken is one.
She reminds me slightly of Maria Snyder.

Brightly Woven


message 17: by Harshini (last edited May 04, 2012 04:39AM) (new)

Harshini  Ramanujam (watchmeread) | 110 comments These: The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater Beastly by Alex Flinn-romance Cloaked by Alex Flinn Bewitching by Alex Flinn


message 18: by Harshini (last edited May 04, 2012 04:40AM) (new)

Harshini  Ramanujam (watchmeread) | 110 comments And:
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Ashertrue-to-life, really good! The Future of Us by Jay Asher sort of sci-fi


Haley (thatwritergirl75) | 9 comments What Happened to Lani Garver by Carol Plum-Ucci True-to-life, with a touch of paranormal, not romance.

Identical by Ellen Hopkins True-to-life.

East by Edith Pattou Fantasy.

The Duff (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) by Kody Keplinger Romantic comedy.

Want more?


Sherbie (herpassion) | 70 comments This is really good: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Yup The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater is a standalone. It's my fave book of Maggie's.
Cute and sweet: Dragonfly by Julia Golding


'SYM (TheSYM) | 91 comments All of sophie kinsella's books are great but my favourite would have to be Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella
The last song by nickolas sparks is good too The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks
Paper towns by john green one of the most brilliant books ever Paper Towns by John Green
The book theif by markus zusak phenomenal The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Along for the ride by sarrah dessen Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen


Jen*The Geeky Book Gal* (geekybookgal) | 199 comments I am so glad to see this thread. EVERY book I seem to pick up lately is part of a series. I hate waiting a year between installments. I'd almost rather have a book that's great in itself sometimes.


Brooke (TheCoverContessa) | 2834 comments Mod
Heinzypop wrote: "Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver I haven't read it yet but it's meant to be so good!"

This book is
AMAZING!


Brooke (TheCoverContessa) | 2834 comments Mod
Heinzypop wrote: "Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma another one I haven't read but is totally heartbreaking..."

I have this one. GOt it after I read some reviews saying it was really great.


Brooke (TheCoverContessa) | 2834 comments Mod
If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Formanthis is not a stand alone, but you do not need to go on to the next book. I didn't know it was a series until I posted my review and someone said something! I was so mad!


Sylvia  | 12424 comments Mod
@Brooke I've still got to read both of those books lol


message 28: by Rebecca (last edited May 17, 2012 03:37PM) (new)

Rebecca | 581 comments Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly and Runaway by Wendelin Van Draanen are good standalones.


Brooke (TheCoverContessa) | 2834 comments Mod
Heinzypop wrote: "@Brooke I've still got to read both of those books lol"

If I Stay is really a great read.


Sylvia  | 12424 comments Mod
Brooke wrote: "Heinzypop wrote: "@Brooke I've still got to read both of those books lol"

If I Stay is really a great read."


Yeah I've got them all but you know how the story goes...seriously why can't we freeze time LOL


Brooke (TheCoverContessa) | 2834 comments Mod
Heinzypop wrote: "Brooke wrote: "Heinzypop wrote: "@Brooke I've still got to read both of those books lol"

If I Stay is really a great read."

Yeah I've got them all but you know how the story goes...seriously why ..."

If you figure it out, how to freeze time so I can read more, let me know! LOL!


message 32: by Traci (last edited May 17, 2012 07:22PM) (new)

Traci (DigiscrappinMom) | 17 comments Thirteen Reasons Why...true-to-life, with a fantastic message. Will recommend to anybody with a teenager.


Sylvia  | 12424 comments Mod
Brooke wrote: "Heinzypop wrote: "Brooke wrote: "Heinzypop wrote: "@Brooke I've still got to read both of those books lol"

If I Stay is really a great read."

Yeah I've got them all but you know how the story goe..."


LOL you got it Brooke you will be the first...


Sarah-Elizabeth Daly (selizabethdaly) | 4 comments The Intern
The Intern, by Dillon Khan, perfect reading for insight into the music industry. Think The Devil Wears Prada for the MTV generation.

Dillon used to work at The Beat, and has a fantastic resource for young people on his website http://www.theintern.co.uk


Daph (Loving Books) (lvngbooks) | 13 comments I loved The Fault in Our Stars (realistic fiction, romance) and I would definitely recommend that one. I also loved Adorkable (contemporary, romance) and Graffiti Moon (contemporary, romance). Most standalones I read are contemporary fiction :)


Annie Brewer (anniebrewer) | 2530 comments I love Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma, Two-Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt, On the Island  by Tracey Garvis-Graves and so many others I can't think of right now. I prefer series because you get more of the story and characters but I still love standalones too.


Beatrice (beatricemasalunga) | 1018 comments Legacy of Lies & Don't Tell (Dark Secrets, #1) by Elizabeth Chandler No Time to Die & The Deep End of Fear (Dark Secrets, #2) by Elizabeth Chandler The Back Door of Midnight (Dark Secrets, #3) by Elizabeth Chandler
these are good standalone books. Dark Secrets one and two contains 2 stories and one book. :) A very nice mystery novels.


Cynjit | 75 comments Sherbie wrote: "This is really good: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Yup The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater is a standalone. It's my fave book of Maggie's.
Cute and sweet: Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) by Diana Gabaldon"


I really liked The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. It was unique..


Elle (Ligia) | 210 comments Gee! I have too many to list them LOL but you can always check my bookshelf :p


Tracy | 5494 comments Traci wrote: "Thirteen Reasons Why...true-to-life, with a fantastic message. Will recommend to anybody with a teenager."

But it was very dad Traci. None of the reasons she gave was enough to want to take your life. It just shows how fragile a teenager is. Although their problems seem like nothing to us they are monumental to them.


Tracy | 5494 comments Brooke (The Cover Contessa) wrote: "Heinzypop wrote: "Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver I haven't read it yet but it's meant to be so good!"

This book is
AMAZING!"


I didn't care for this one at all. It was like Groundhog Day over and over. There were parts that were a little touching but to redundant for my taste. I'm glad you liked it Brooke and you nay to Heinzy. Just not my cup of tea.


Alison Wallace (Silverbell783) | 6 comments Easy

Flat out love

Beautiful Disaster


Amanda (mandy) | 1874 comments Lengths by Steph Campbell, Going Under by Georgia Cates, From What I Remember... by Stacy Kramer, and definitely What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor.


Rachmi (looprevilred) | 308 comments these are some of my favorite standalones YA books: easy by tammara webber, first comes love, gimme a call, the boyfriend thief, flat-out love and off course five flavors of dumb. all books are romance, i haven't read paranormal standalones YA books that i really love. most paranormal YA books that i love is a series


Emily Smith | 10 comments Standalones-I love to read them in between the series installments. :) Here are just a few for this post.
Jennifer R. Hubbard-The Secret Year and Try Not to Breathe
Susane Colasanti-I have enjoyed all of her titles
The Eleventh Plague-I don't believe there will be a sequel
The Fault in our Stars, the Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
Epic Fail and Twenty Boy Summer were good :)
Want more? I'll look over my book lists and add to this discussion. :) Happy reading.


Jody  | 3209 comments Mod
Easy by Tammara Webber is an amazing stand alone book, but I wish there was another. It just was not enough Lucas for me and I feel like they have more story to tell.


Beatrice (beatricemasalunga) | 1018 comments Jody wrote: "Easy by Tammara Webber is an amazing stand alone book, but I wish there was another. It just was not enough Lucas for me and I feel like they have more story to tell."

I second to this :)


Beatrice (beatricemasalunga) | 1018 comments Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1) by Katie McGarry - this book is very emotional. It was really good. :)


« previous 1
back to top

unread topics | mark unread


Books mentioned in this topic

The Space Between (other topics)
Forgotten (other topics)
Anna and the French Kiss (other topics)
Before I Fall (other topics)
Forbidden (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tammara Webber (other topics)