Salt Lake County Library Services discussion

Reading Challenges > 2012 May Reading Challenge

Comments (showing 1-34 of 34) (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ann | 209 comments Mod
Many of you may be aware of our Reader’s Choice program that we run twice a year, but with this year being our 20th anniversary of the program we have a special addition. This May and June we are giving patrons a chance to vote on past Reader’s Choice winners, 41 books in all, and help decide which readers like the best. So this month’s reading challenge is to read or reread one our former Reader’s Choice winners and tell us what you think.

There are lists and displays of the last 20 years winners at each of our branches, or you can find a list online at http://slcreaderschoice.blogspot.com/... (There are actually three pages of titles, so make sure once you’ve scrolled to the very bottom of the page you click on the “Older Posts” option to see the next page.)

message 2: by Captain (last edited May 01, 2012 06:37PM) (new)

Captain Curmudgeon | 11 comments Quite a miscellany. I just checked out The Secret Life of Bees as an e-book, have Monkeewrench on hold and Where the Heart Is on e-book hold.

Lots of copies of "Mwrench" (since it was a Readers' Choice) but just ONE copy of the e-book. So I tried for "Where" as a real book also.

Jana | 36 comments I'm going to read The Wedding Dress by Virginia Ellis. I like books around the Civil War, and sometimes like a good romance, so this one caught my eye.

Christy Pulliam | 7 comments I will be checking out Monkeewrench, it's on hold currently, but got some other books for book clubs I'm trying to read this month too. So is this challenge extended through June? If so, I think I can get my other books read in time too. So many good books, love getting these great tips on goodreads.

Becky | 97 comments I am going to read, Daughter of the Forest since it is already on my to-read list and several friends loved it! Can't wait. :)

Darin | 23 comments I'm going to read as many as I can, but plan to at least read Monkeewrench, Maze, Bone Collector, Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind, and Thunderhead.

Debbie (DashForCover) | 243 comments I think I will re-read His Majesty's Dragon, since I was planning to and already have the book. How handy!

JoAnn | 56 comments I just read Small Change: The Secret Life of Penny Burford. I didn't intend to read it when I went through the list I picked up at the library. It caught my eye when I was at Taylorsville Library yesterday, and wouldn't let me alone. LOVED IT. I'm trying to get my husband to read it before I take it back.

JoAnn | 56 comments I also picked up The Shape of Mercy, Garden Spells (which I started this morning), Daughter of the Forest, Thunderhead, and Doomsday Book. I just checked out Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind as an eBook from the website this am and placed several holds for both hard copy and eBooks. Why not?

JoAnn | 56 comments Might I suggest we do more award based reading challenges, like Newberry, Hugo, ALA, etc. It would be fun to see different books that have achieved merit.

Susan | 26 comments Susan also recommends a couple of great books that didn't win but were great reads: "Prayers for Sale" by Sandra Dallas, and "The Marriage Bureau for Rich People" by Farahad Zama.

Jana | 36 comments I just finished the wedding dress, and really enjoyed it. I can definitely see why it was a winner. It is the kind of love story I love to read!

message 13: by Ann (last edited May 15, 2012 05:42PM) (new)

Ann | 209 comments Mod
Christy wrote: "I will be checking out Monkeewrench, it's on hold currently, but got some other books for book clubs I'm trying to read this month too. So is this challenge extended through June? If so, I think I ..."

While the library is celebrating 20 years of Reader's Choice through the end of June, this challenge is only for the month of May because Summer Reading starts in June and we'll have a new challenge for the summer months to go along with it.

Ann | 209 comments Mod
JoAnn wrote: "Might I suggest we do more award based reading challenges, like Newberry, Hugo, ALA, etc. It would be fun to see different books that have achieved merit."

I love the idea. Unfortunately, I already have a requested topic for our Summer Reading months, but I'll keep your suggestions in mind for sometime this fall.

Does anyone else have an idea for a reading challenge they'd like to see us do sometime in the future? I cannot guarantee when we would do it, but I'm always open to suggestions.

message 15: by Debbie (last edited May 12, 2012 07:29AM) (new)

Debbie (DashForCover) | 243 comments I'd like the Reading Challenges for a month to be posted earlier than a few days into that month. Preferably at least a week before the new month begins. Or maybe even have a listing of a few months out, making our reading easier to plan.

If you know what the summer challenge will be, why not post it soon?

For reading challenges, in October maybe do a Bram Stoker Awards winner (horror).

A Reading Challenge for next May could be a Hugo Winner to coincide with CONduit, Utah's largest and longest running Science Fiction/Fantasy Convention (which is being held May 25-27 in Salt Lake City [http://conduit-sf.com/]) (Forgive the shameless advert, but JoAnn mentioned the Hugo Award, ergo ...)

Ruby (rcheezy48) | 34 comments Ann wrote: "Christy wrote: "I will be checking out Monkeewrench, it's on hold currently, but got some other books for book clubs I'm trying to read this month too. So is this challenge extended through June? I..."

Actually, the 20th Anniversary Reader's Choice balloting is for May AND June! We know 2 months is a short time, but we figured a lot of you would have already read some of them...and you don't have to re-read them to vote! But hopefully you'll find a few that you didn't read before. The new Reader's Choice titles will be displayed July - October.

message 17: by Britt, Book Habitue (last edited May 12, 2012 10:57AM) (new)

Britt, Book Habitue (Britt--BookHabitue) | 148 comments I've read 15 of the winners-- 14 previously and one this week.
My "Winners" blog post

Becky | 97 comments I just finished Daughter of the Forest and loved it. I hope the sequels are as good.

Ann | 209 comments Mod
Debbie wrote: "I'd like the Reading Challenges for a month to be posted earlier than a few days into that month. Preferably at least a week before the new month begins. Or maybe even have a listing of a few mon..."

Thanks for the suggestions; I cannot guarantee the timing, though I like the tie between events and topics. I'll keep the details on file and see what I can work out.

As for posting future months in advance, I don't usually have a topic lined up more than a few days in advance. The only reason why I have our challenge for the summer months this early is because someone involved with planning our summer reading program passed on a request to me. But I will try to post the new challenges a week earlier than I have been so you have a little more time to find books in the future.

message 20: by Ann (last edited May 15, 2012 05:58PM) (new)

Ann | 209 comments Mod
Becky wrote: "I just finished Daughter of the Forest and loved it. I hope the sequels are as good."

I've enjoyed the series, though I must say Daughter of the Forest is my favorite.

Becky | 45 comments I just read All the Matters by Jan Goldstein. I really enjoyed it. (4 stars)

Captain Curmudgeon | 11 comments Finished The Secret Life of Bees and was writing about it on Mothers' Day, which seems very appropriate. Motherhood human, spiritual, and insect is at the center of the book.

Oddly enough, writing about this book and the dangers I think it skirted made me decide to not read Where the Heart Is. May reconsider later on but right now I'm on to Monkeewrench, which I'm also enjoying.

message 23: by Captain (last edited May 19, 2012 09:12AM) (new)

Captain Curmudgeon | 11 comments Finished Monkeewrench and it triggered a rant (in my own book report) on how computers in novels and movies are as mythical as the cowboys in novels and movies about the West.

(Maybe I'd feel better about it if I were not a computer scientist and my grandfathers were not cowboys.)

Marnie | 5 comments Really enjoyed Shape of Mercy!

Ann | 209 comments Mod
For all of you who are reading or have, in the past, read one of the books on our 20 years of Reader’s Choice winners list make sure to stop by one of the Salt Lake County Libraries and vote on the different titles. You can vote on as many titles as you like using the one to five star scale on each ballot.

Each ballot enters you into a drawing for a color Nook—so vote away.

Debbie (DashForCover) | 243 comments I have finished His Majesty's dragon by Naomi Novik. On to the next Temeraire book!

Jana | 36 comments Just finished Miss Julia Speaks her Mind. An enjoyable read.

Becky | 45 comments I stayed up last night to finish the Shape of Mercy. It was suspenseful and enjoyable historical fiction.

Ann | 209 comments Mod
Just a heads up: I've posted the Summer Reading Challenge. You'll find it listed below the link for May's Reading Challenge as 2012 Summer Reading Challenge.

The May Challenge is still in effect until the end of the month and the Summer Reading Challenge starts June 1 and runs through August 31, in conjunction with the summer reading program we have at our libraries.

Ann | 209 comments Mod
Hi everybody! One more day for the May Reading Challenge; make sure to let me know what you’ve read for this month’s challenge by then so I can enter you into this month’s drawing.

Mandy Moody | 19 comments Enter me! I read The Secret Life of Bees and loved it. Outside my normal genre, but so very beautiful...I'd recommend it to anyone!

Britt, Book Habitue (Britt--BookHabitue) | 148 comments Shape of Mercy was the one I actually read in May. :)

Ann | 209 comments Mod
Mandy won this month's reading challenge. She read The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.

Check out our Summer Reading Challenge for June through the end of August and read the best books in the "'verse" with us.

Jennifer | 354 comments Mod
Hey Reader's Choice lovers,

There will be a Reader's Choice 20th Anniversary party with cake and prizes at the new West Jordan Library on June 25th. Drop by any time between 4:00 and 6:00.

See you there!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Secret Life of Bees (other topics)
Monkeewrench (other topics)
Where the Heart Is (other topics)
Daughter of the Forest (other topics)
Small Change: The Secret Life of Penny Burford (other topics)
More...