Goodreads Author Feedback Group discussion

Ask Goodreads > Doing a Giveaway

Comments (showing 1-50 of 64) (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Hilden (Lahilden) | 33 comments I want to giveaway a Kindle on my FB page but I know you need a third party to set up the giveaway. Any suggestions?

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (NormalGirl) | 398 comments You really need a third part to give the books away? I didn't know that....

message 3: by Mick (new)

Mick Wade (MickWade) | 4 comments I set up a giveaway on Facebook through a service called Faceitpages, BUT the jury is still out. It had promised to be a landing page, but it doesn't work with timeline. It just functions as a tab on your page. I thought they would "like" the page to be entered, but you can register for the contest without "like-ing" anything. And people have started "liking" thinking that they've joined the contest, but there is one extra step to go through. So people have liked the page or liked the photo, without having entered the contest.

You can see what it looks likes: http://www.facebook.com/MudBloodAndMo...

I don't know that I would recommend it. If you have a blog it might be easier to run the contest through that and promote it through FB. If people continue to be so confused, that's what I might do.

message 4: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Hilden (Lahilden) | 33 comments Yes, Hannah, there seems to always be hoops to jump through to make things more difficult. FB does not want you to make Likes mandatory for entry and since they want no part of giveaways they must be done through a third party.

Your Giveaway looks really good, Mick. The things you mentioned is why I am leery about running one. Out of all the social media sites, I use FB the most and I want more Likes on my page, but perhaps it may be best to run it from my webpage. How many more Likes have you gained since the giveaway started? Did Faceitpages charge a big fee to set it up? And last question, was it difficult to set up? Thanks so much for you insight.

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (NormalGirl) | 398 comments If you did not know, which I am sure you do, you can also list giveaways here on gr. I have not used it yet, but I know that it doesnt require a third party and you do reach a lot of people.

message 6: by Mick (new)

Mick Wade (MickWade) | 4 comments The Faceit Pages fee is $8 a month for a bunch of apps like the contest. It was a challenge to set it up, and I've had people message me asking how they can enter, because it's so confusing.

I think I'm going to yank the contest and run it through my blog instead.

There may be other 3rd party FB apps out there that work better, but I'm not happy with this one.

Good luck!

message 7: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Hilden (Lahilden) | 33 comments Hannah, I have done a Goodreads Giveaway with each of my books. The first two books in this giveaway worked great, around 150 people put the first two books on their TBR list. The book I did a Giveaway on earlier this year only had 40. That's a big difference and I'm not really sure why this is the case. I assume there is such a big list of giveaway's on Goodreads and that is why it there was such a difference. I do love the Goodreads Giveaways though so I will continue to use them. For the moment I want to increase my followers on FB because that's the platform I use most to get my news out.

Mick, it doesn't sound like it is going well and I'm sorry for that. I really don't want a third party that I have to pay a monthly fee to, since I don't plan on giving away Kindles that often. It sounds like a nightmare if people are emailing you for information to enter. Thanks so much for your input.

message 8: by Johnny (new)

Johnny Walker (Ekko_Johnny) | 17 comments Hey guys, just piping in with a comment about the giveaways on GR; they couldn't be any smother. Go for it. You'll be amazed at how easy it is. I also ran it through my website, via Goodreads button. Easy breezy.

I stay clear of FB. Each time I've tried something with them, it either doesn't work, or I start getting tagged in tennis shoe spams. Tons of junk starts flowing my way. Even if you spend money with them, FB isn't able to handle what they do, and lets face it, the company was built on a lie. Take it from there.

I'm definitely not trying to judge anyone or condemn any actions others choose to take.

happy selling :)

message 9: by Philip (new)

Philip | 4 comments Goodreads giveaways are great exposure for your book.

If you want to do an e-book giveaway, you can set it up on librarything.com, which is similar to Goodreads but draws less traffic. I hope that Goodreads will eventually set up a system for e-book giveaways, and am puzzled that they haven't already done so.

message 10: by Nan (new)

Nan Johnny wrote: "Hey guys, just piping in with a comment about the giveaways on GR; they couldn't be any smother. Go for it. You'll be amazed at how easy it is. I also ran it through my website, via Goodreads butto..."

Glad to hear it--I closed my FB page last month against all conventional advice to authors. Took too much time, and really--do Stephen King or Barbara Kingsolver have to "connect" with each buyer to sell books? Goodreads is tons better--these people read. I'm doing a giveaway right now, and am seeing a lot of members add my book. For exposure, it's great.

message 11: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Hilden (Lahilden) | 33 comments I agree that the Goodreads contest is simple and great exposure, which is why I will continue to use it. I also agree that I connect with more readers on Goodreads and Shelfari than FB, yet I still talk to readers on FB too. Updating your readers on Goodreads doesn't work, and using Twitter and FB helps to connect people to my webpage and the articles I write. Everyone has to do what works best for them. I still want to run my contest on FB so I will continue to look into third parties. Thanks for your comments.

message 12: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie | 57 comments I'm thinking of doing a giveaway on my new book. How many free books is one expected to give away?

message 13: by Nan (new)

Nan When I checked the Giveaways pages, it looked like most authors gave away between 1-10 books. I went with 5. Calculate the expense & patience needed to mail them to various countries, too. I went with US and Canada--I always think Canada gets short shrift.

message 14: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Hilden (Lahilden) | 33 comments I usually do 5 but I only ship to the US.

message 15: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkiBroadwell) | 113 comments I want to do a giveaway on Goodreads but when I tried it said my isbn was not on this data base and yet I'm part of the author program and my book is listed.

message 16: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 521 comments Mod
But it has no ISBN listed, Nikki. You can either edit the book record yourself to include the ISBN, or I can do it for you, if you provide the information.

message 17: by Eric (new)

Eric Wright | 68 comments I hope this is the correct venue to post my free ebook offer!
Free Kindle Ebook. Award winning suspense novel, "The Lightning File" will be free on Saturday, May 12th, just in time for Mothers' Day. In the book, reporter Josh Radley discovers an Arabic file holding the key to a terrorist plot targeting US interests from Canadian soil. Just when he needs to concentrate on breaking the mysterious file, he finds himself frustrated with his marriage and attracted to a beautiful Pakistani psychiatrist. The Lighting File receives high praise from both women and men. From Rebbeca in California: "Josh's realistic problems and his efforts to overcome them make for an intriguing, past-paced story. A real thrill ride." Kimberley in Ontario: "A captivating, thought-provoking, pulse-racing thriller." Frank in Pennsylvania: "Realistic plot and believable characters." For more info. go to, http://www.countrywindow.ca/book-ligh... Order at: http://www.amazon.com/The-Lightning-F...

message 18: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkiBroadwell) | 113 comments I have updated my profile, put in the isbn, added my e-mail to my profile and everything else--and still I can't get the giveaway program to work for me! Can someone help, please?

message 19: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 521 comments Mod
Sometimes the ISBN13 works better than the ISBN10. I added yours - 9780615534725. Maybe try that?

message 20: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkiBroadwell) | 113 comments rivka wrote: "Sometimes the ISBN13 works better than the ISBN10. I added yours - 9780615534725. Maybe try that?"
the "errors" were that I had to put in my e-mail address (but It's listed on my profile) and one or two other things that I had done...I'll try the new isbn...Thanks!

message 21: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkiBroadwell) | 113 comments Rivka,
I just remembered that whenever I log onto to Goodreads I get a message that says "we tried to e-mail you on January 26..." I've gone into settings and re-submitted but something isn't getting through...is there a admin. place I can appeal to?

message 22: by Nan (new)

Nan When I got that message, Margo Parker in Admin. told me to go to the "Settings" tab of my Author Profile (I'd never even looked there), and re-enter my email, then confirm it in the email Goodreads sent me. Worked great--plus now I know where to change my password if I want.

message 23: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkiBroadwell) | 113 comments Nan wrote: "When I got that message, Margo Parker in Admin. told me to go to the "Settings" tab of my Author Profile (I'd never even looked there), and re-enter my email, then confirm it in the email Goodreads..."Thanks Nan--I think I've done that but maybe not--I'll check it out...

message 24: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkiBroadwell) | 113 comments thanks for all your help! my book, the Moonstone seems to heading toward the giveaway list! Yay!

message 25: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 521 comments Mod
Glad you got it to work, Nikki.

message 26: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie | 14 comments Okay, I'm stumped. I'm also having trouble creating a giveaway. Even though I've given my book's ISBN numbers, I keep getting the message that my book is an eBook and I should try giving away a print version. Following advice already given here, I can't even locate a "Settings" tab on my author profile. I repeat ... I'm stumped. Help!

message 27: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Hilden (Lahilden) | 33 comments Hi, Marjorie, I would love to help, but I'm not sure how. I've run giveaways many times on Goodreads and it is fairly simple. But I have had problems as well. It usually has to do with the ISBN. Can you pull your book up on Goodreads site, i.e. will it show up in Goodreads from Amazon? Or is your book not yet in Goodreads system? Since I use my initials for LA Hilden, I know if I don't space my name correctly it doesn't register me as the author. I usually end up contacting a Goodreads librarian for help if I still can't get it working. Do you have a separate ISBN number for the ebook copy of this book? All of my books have two separate ISBN's one for paper and one for electronic. It may be pulling up the ebook only and you will have to manually add the paper copy with its own ISBN. I believe this can be done on your book's page. Then it should work. Hope this helps.

message 28: by Paula (last edited May 14, 2012 06:38AM) (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 306 comments Marjorie wrote: "Okay, I'm stumped. I'm also having trouble creating a giveaway. Even though I've given my book's ISBN numbers, I keep getting the message that my book is an eBook and I should try giving away a pri..."

This is the only book with an ISBN

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

You had this set as a Kindle edition which is incorrect as Kindles only have ASIN's and are defined as ebooks which cannot be part of a giveaway. Is this ISBN associated with the paperback or an ebook version of the book.

Edit: Found it as a Paperback - have updated the book - retry doing the giveaway now

message 29: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie | 14 comments I tried listing both the ebook and the print version. Whatever I did didn't work. I'll gladly try again. Thanks very much for the assist!

message 30: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie | 14 comments Thank you, disembodied guardian angel! Success! Sometimes I need all the help I can get. Much appreciated.

message 31: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Hilden (Lahilden) | 33 comments Yea, Paula!!! Good luck with your giveaway, Marjorie!!!

message 32: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkiBroadwell) | 113 comments Now that my book is listed I have a question--what happens now? So far I received one message from a person who wants the book..will Goodreads send me something or do I need to do something? sorry for idiocy!

message 33: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 521 comments Mod
http://www.goodreads.com/author/how_t...

Goodreads will choose the winner(s) randomly and notify you with their addresses. It is your responsibility to ship the books to the winners in a timely manner.

message 34: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkiBroadwell) | 113 comments rivka wrote: "http://www.goodreads.com/author/how_t...

Goodreads will choose the winner(s) randomly and notify you with their addresses. It is your responsibility to ship the books to the winners in ..."

Thanks Rivka.

message 35: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Llorca (virginiallorca) | 26 comments Itt is so easy to give away ebooks on Smashwords. Put the link here and chagrin the price to free for those days. The affiliates(B&n, KOBO & the like lag but usually do the same amount of days . I get good sales and ratings from B&n and Apple. Not so much review. chagrin? Fuck autocorrect. CHANGE

message 36: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkiBroadwell) | 113 comments haven't done smashwords..I think I would have to re-format--also, with KDP select on Amazon I think you have to do an exclusive for 3 months in order to do a giveaway...still haven't gotten the process completed...I wondered about chagrin...

message 37: by Molly (new)

Molly Snow (molly_snow) | 10 comments I gave away a Kindle through my blog with a widget from Rafflecopter. It gives the option of liking your facebook page. Then all you have to do is tell your Facebook followers you already got to go to your blog to enter. So, use the blog to communicate for entries. http://mollysnowfiction.blogspot.com

message 38: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Hilden (Lahilden) | 33 comments Thank you, Molly, I will definitely look into Rafflecopter and doing the giveaway through my blog instead. Can I ask how your Kindle giveaway went? How many signed up to win? How many new followers did you gain on FB? Would you say the giveaway was worth the effort and cost? I appreciate any insight you can give me.

message 39: by Molly (new)

Molly Snow (molly_snow) | 10 comments I made back the money of buying a Kindle and I gained about 200 fans on Facebook and about 120 followers of my blog. So, I had quite a bit of entries. Rafflecopter said over 1400 entries, but for each thing they click on doing (like Tweeting and Liking) it adds entries. So, I am not sure of the actual number of entrants unless I were to download the spreadsheet from Rafflecopter. So, all in all, it was fun, but didn't profit much. I figured it helped get my site hits, therefore it heightened my visibility. The good thing was that I combined the giveaway with a blog tour, so each blog I was on tour with advertised it.

message 40: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkiBroadwell) | 113 comments Thanks for the info on Rafflecopter--something else I have not heard of..sounds good...

message 41: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Hilden (Lahilden) | 33 comments It sounds like a great way to build your brand, Molly. I love the idea that the enterer can choose between social networks. Visibility and word of mouth hopefully equals sales, and 1400 entries is something to celebrate. Did you set up your own blog tour? Not sure how that works, but great job marketing!!!!

message 42: by Molly (new)

Molly Snow (molly_snow) | 10 comments Hi, L.A. Thank you. Yeah, I set up my own blog tour. I'm prepping for a second already for another book of mine. This time I won't give away a Kindle, though. The blogging community for teen fiction seems to know each other and so I don't want to redo a giveaway.

I am exploring layering as much exposure as possible, in a limited amount of time, through different platforms. Along with the tour, there will be a hop, a KDP Select giveaway and a Goodreads giveaway. I am crossing my fingers for some good sales. My plan brings with it a lot of anxiousness.

message 43: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Hilden (Lahilden) | 33 comments Well, I think you are doing it the right way, Molly. Layering exposure, I like that. :) I know there's probably no way of knowing, but do you think the blog tours help sales? When you do a blog tour how many people do you usually connect with? Do you talk about your books, or writing, or do they send you questions? Sorry for the questions, marketing is difficult and it is hard to know what works and what doesn't without trial and error. Do you have all of your books in Amazon's KDP program? Okay, no more questions, but I'd love to check out your blog tour to see what it is all about, so please share when you have the dates and times nailed down. And I shall cross my fingers for you too.

message 44: by Molly (last edited May 19, 2012 04:03PM) (new)

Molly Snow (molly_snow) | 10 comments L.A. wrote: "Well, I think you are doing it the right way, Molly. Layering exposure, I like that. :) I know there's probably no way of knowing, but do you think the blog tours help sales? When you do a blog ..."

The blog tour definitely helped sales. January was the month I was on tour and it was the month I sold the most copies from my BeSwitched Series. Still, the sales were a disappointment, so that is why I am not just relying on a tour this time around to boost my ranking on Amazon.

I haven't put a book of mine on Select until now, and the free date is scheduled for June 21-22. It is just one book, the 2nd in my series--"BeSwitched Witch". I didn't want to pull the 1st book "BeSwitched" off B&N, because it was getting better sales than Amazon at times. The tour will be for the 3rd release and I am excited to see what happens.

In a blog tour, the bloggers opt in to either interview me or have me write a guest post. I always think up the guest post material, unless there is a specific request.

I have met a great circle of people through the tour. It brought activity to my blog and some cool Twitter friends and a few fans who like to tell me they love my work. It was definitely worth it in these ways.

message 45: by Elle (new)

Elle Thornton | 48 comments Molly wrote: "L.A. wrote: "Well, I think you are doing it the right way, Molly. Layering exposure, I like that. :) I know there's probably no way of knowing, but do you think the blog tours help sales? When y..."

I'm new to the idea of a blog tour. Could you explain it a little more?

message 46: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Hilden (Lahilden) | 33 comments I'd love to hear how the Select goes for you in June, Molly. Like you, I didn't wish to pull my books from other places but I love the idea of giving a book for free or letting it be borrowed to help gain sales with other books. Where do you do your blog tour? If you have no questions from bloggers what do you talk about, the writing process? Or your new release in the series? Meeting readers is what it is all about and it sounds like you are on the right track. Thanks for the info.

message 47: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Llorca (virginiallorca) | 26 comments By the way, on Select, I got $2.84 for a borrow and 1.81 for a sale.

Still, not enough cross action to make it worthwhile. I've heard raise the price of your book and you will get more borrows. I'm gonna give that a try. The unsolvable mystery is why I have so many sales on Barnes and Noble. If I knew, maybe I could use the info for other sites. Have no clue. 131 at B&N, two at Amazon, for one book.

message 48: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Hilden (Lahilden) | 33 comments That's interesting, Virginia. I can only guess that maybe your book has more reviews at B & N than Amazon and that's helping sales, but 131 is a great number. I can see how raising your book price and allowing it to be borrowed would work. People likely feel happier if they borrow a ten dollar book when compared to a four dollar one, it makes them feel like they are getting more for the borrow I guess. I was under the impression that if you placed one of your books in Amazon's Select program that you had to pull the book from every else like B & N. Is this not the case? Whatever you do, don't pull the book from B & N, it is working for you. Thanks for sharing.

message 49: by Eric (new)

Eric Wright | 68 comments Free Kindle Ebook. Award winning suspense novel, "The Lightning File" will be free on Saturday, May 26th.
In the book, reporter Josh Radley discovers an Arabic file holding the key to a terrorist plot targeting US interests from Canadian soil. Just when he needs to concentrate on breaking the mysterious file, he finds himself frustrated with his marriage and attracted to a beautiful Pakistani psychiatrist.
The Lighting File receives high praise from both women and men. From Rebbeca in California: "Josh's realistic problems and his efforts to overcome them make for an intriguing, past-paced story. A real thrill ride." Kimberley in Ontario: "A captivating, thought-provoking, pulse-racing thriller." Frank in Pennsylvania: "Realistic plot and believable characters."
For more info. go to, http://www.countrywindow.ca/book-ligh... Order at: http://www.amazon.com/The-Lightning-F...

message 50: by Nan (new)

Nan Eric,
Here's a note the moderator posted for this group:
"It is not a group to promote your book. You can, of course, mention your book, but if your post consists of nothing other than a description of your book, a request for reviews, a special offer or giveaway, etc., please do not post it. Any self-promotional comments will be deleted by the moderator."
Try posting your Free Kindle days in GR's Events--people check there for free books.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jaye Frances (other topics)
Virginia Llorca (other topics)