Fantasy Book Club discussion

Carol Berg
This topic is about Carol Berg
Favorite Authors > Carol Berg

Comments (showing 1-43 of 43) (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1947 comments Ms. Berg is a particular favorite of mine. I started reading her books with the Lighthouse Duology and they are still my favorites.

She writes rich stories with believable characters, complex systems of magic and great worlds. For some reason she hasn't yet caught fire and I would love to see her do so. Any other Berg lovers out there?

message 2: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 534 comments I enjoy reading Carol Berg. I need my uncle to send back two of her novels so I can read them. :)

message 3: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (Narknon) I've really enjoyed what I've read of her. She does write some great books. I need to get back and read the rest of her works.

message 4: by Contrarius (new)

Contrarius Yup, Berg is one of my favorites for characterization. I haven't read nearly enough by her yet.

message 5: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 51 comments Oh yes. Carol Berg and Robin Hobb are neck and neck as my favorite authors.

message 6: by Mach (new)

Mach | 122 comments Really Marilyn? is Berg similar to Hobb? I love Hobb but never read any Carol Berg.

message 7: by Damali (new)

Damali I'm reading my first Carol Berg novel now, Flesh and Spirit. So far, I like what I'm reading.

message 8: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 51 comments Mach wrote: "Really Marilyn? is Berg similar to Hobb? I love Hobb but never read any Carol Berg."

I think so. I had steered away from Berg because she was listed as science fiction but I thought she was more fantasy. She is a bit more violent that Hobb but doesn't dwell on it too much. I really loved her Rai Kirah series. I dont know if you're into "demons" but don't let that turn you off. It is good vs evil in a way but evil isn't all that evil.

message 9: by Contrarius (new)

Contrarius Mach wrote: "Really Marilyn? is Berg similar to Hobb? I love Hobb but never read any Carol Berg."

IMHO Berg is a better writer than Hobb. Berg isn't as wordy, or as excessively angsty, and her plots aren't as meandering (for the most part). She writes intriguing, well-rounded characters and interesting plot lines.

message 10: by Damali (new)

Damali I've only read one of Hobb's books, and I don't think she's like Berg at all. Berg's world and characters are more lively and they feel real. (I'm only three chapters in.)

I read that Berg wrote some scifi, but the series I'm reading is fantasy.

message 11: by Cecile (new)

Cecile | 62 comments I discovered Carol Berg with her Rai Kirah series, which I really enjoyed and devoured last summer; it was a rather pleasant surprise because I had never heard of her before.

I too have started Flesh and Spirit, but the amount of mystery makes it a more complicated story right from the start, so I'm not yet immersed in it, even after a hundred pages.

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1947 comments Cecile wrote: "I discovered Carol Berg with her Rai Kirah series, which I really enjoyed and devoured last summer; it was a rather pleasant surprise because I had never heard of her before.

I too have started Fl..."

It took me a while, but once I was into it - Wow!

message 13: by Mach (last edited May 01, 2012 03:00PM) (new)

Mach | 122 comments Damali wrote: "I've only read one of Hobb's books, and I don't think she's like Berg at all. Berg's world and characters are more lively and they feel real. (I'm only three chapters in.)

I read that Berg wrote s..."

Lively and real? that sounds like Hobb to me you should really pick up another Hobb book and stick with it, she is the best when it comes to realistic characters.

message 14: by Damali (new)

Damali I found several things lacking in Hobb's writing. I do plan on finishing the series I started though.

message 15: by Mach (new)

Mach | 122 comments Which series was it you started?

message 16: by Damali (new)

Damali Assassin's Apprentice. Yes, it was well written, but I was bored most of the time.

message 17: by Mach (new)

Mach | 122 comments The series gets better and the next two trilogies are even more awesome :D

message 18: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1947 comments Mach wrote: "The series gets better and the next two trilogies are even more awesome :D"

Mach, why don't you start a thread about Robin Hobb? She's obviously one of your favorite authors. :)

message 19: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 51 comments Oh boy Mach, look what we started. I should have private messaged you. I do not think it is a matter of which writer is better but more of where your interests lie. I enjoy historical fiction, especially British monarchies, which is part of the reason I enjoyed Hobb's books. I loved Nighteye's and Fitz's relationship. In Berg's books, my favorite character besides Seyonne was Aleksander. To each his own.

message 20: by Mach (new)

Mach | 122 comments Sorry for talking about Hobb here. I will stop hijacking the thread.

message 21: by Marilyn (last edited May 01, 2012 06:07PM) (new)

Marilyn | 51 comments Back to Carol Berg: Which of her other series besides the Rai Kirah did you enjoy more? Any special reason?

message 22: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1947 comments As I said before, the Lighthouse Duology and also her Collegia Magica series. I think it starts with The Spirit Lens.

message 23: by Contrarius (new)

Contrarius I enjoyed The Spirit Lens very much. It's not a "typical" fantasy, though. It's very much a mystery in a secondary world setting. Great characters, as usual for her.

message 24: by Janny (new)

Janny (JannyWurts) | 748 comments Carol Berg has earned a 'buy on release' rating from me. Love her work, it's richly imagined and can she do finales! Writers who can build to a smashing finish (and that one can't see coming) are altogether too rare.

message 25: by Traci (new)

Traci Any recommendations for a first book? She has quite a bit and I was wondering which would be a good start.

message 26: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1947 comments I'd say either Revelation, which is the first in the Rai Kirah trilogy, or Song of the Beast which is a stand alone that I've heard is top notch although I haven't read it yet.

message 27: by Damali (new)

Damali This Flesh and Spirit seems to be shaping up to be a ghost story. Had I known, I would've chosen a different series to start with. I don't care for ghosts much at all. I guess the title should've been a clue. :)

message 28: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1947 comments A ghost story? I don't think so. No ghosts.

message 29: by Damali (last edited May 09, 2012 09:51AM) (new)

Damali (view spoiler)

message 30: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1947 comments Damali wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

Well, I don't remember that specifically, but ghosts do not play any important part in the story.

message 31: by Damali (new)

Damali Oh, okay, that's good to know. I'm anxious for something else to happen.

message 32: by Janny (new)

Janny (JannyWurts) | 748 comments Damali wrote: "Oh, okay, that's good to know. I'm anxious for something else to happen."

Keep reading! This is not a ghost story, one bit. I'm no horror fan, and I loved this duology, so rest completely assured it's something else, and dazzlingly incredible. Carol Berg never tips her hand prematurely, and the second half of her series always unveil the full picture, which is NEVER what it first appears. That's signature, and part of what makes her books special.

message 33: by Mach (new)

Mach | 122 comments I want to try out Carol Berg but what should i read first / whats your favorite fantasy book by her?

message 34: by Damali (new)

Damali Janny wrote: "Damali wrote: "Oh, okay, that's good to know. I'm anxious for something else to happen."

Keep reading! This is not a ghost story, one bit. I'm no horror fan, and I loved this duology, so rest comp..."

I'll stick with it. :D

message 35: by Janny (last edited May 09, 2012 12:29PM) (new)

Janny (JannyWurts) | 748 comments Mach wrote: "I want to try out Carol Berg but what should i read first / whats your favorite fantasy book by her?"

Song of the Beast is a stand alone, and a good starter if you don't want to plunge into a series. Men may not take to the Avonar series as a first look at this author, since the theme for three of the four hinges more heavily on a romantic relationship,and as a four book series, I found it a bit less tightly wrapped.

I usually suggest people start with the standalone, or her first trilogy, the Rai Kirah. If you begin with the Lighthouse Duology (Flesh and Spirit,) you really have to view it with the sequel as one story. The awesomeness really flowers as she unveils the full picture in the second half.

Your mileage may vary - I have seen some readers insist on Avonar, first.

She has never written a book I didn't enjoy.

message 36: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 46 comments I've only read two of her books (Song of the Beast and Transformation. I was really impressed with both and have several more waiting on the TBR.

My problem is that over the last five or six years my health has had me struggling to read in ways I never really have before (which is really scary for a lifelong reader). So when I find a really good author, I get more of their books and then put of reading them because the good books feel harder to read.

Berg is one of the authors that has suffered with this. Along with other people like Janny Wurts, Robin Hobb, N. K. Jemisin and I'm sure many others. They write the good books and they're the ones I want to read, but I find myself reading "easier" and "fluffier" books instead because I don't feel so exhausted thinking about them.

message 37: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 230 comments Janny wrote: "Mach wrote: "I want to try out Carol Berg but what should i read first / whats your favorite fantasy book by her?"

Song of the Beast is a stand alone, and a good starter if you don't want to plunge into a series. Men may not take to the Avonar series as a first look at this author, since the theme for three of the four hinges more heavily on a romantic relationship,and as a four book series, I found it a bit less tightly wrapped.

I usually suggest people start with the standalone, or her first trilogy, the Rai Kirah. If you begin with the Lighthouse Duology (Flesh and Spirit,) you really have to view it with the sequel as one story. The awesomeness really flowers as she unveils the full picture in the second half.

Your mileage may vary - I have seen some readers insist on Avonar, first."

Thank you for the insight. I've never read a book by Carol Berg and I'd love to. I've seen many opinions around but I'd like to ask to more of you what you would recommend as first book to try. I'm equal to standalones and series, as long as they're representative of her style. If I have to summarize my tastes, I put rounded characters over worldbuilding, I like romance if it's not self-serving, and most of my reads don't focus on coming-of-age tales. Thank you

message 38: by Janny (new)

Janny (JannyWurts) | 748 comments Alissa wrote: "Janny wrote: "Mach wrote: "I want to try out Carol Berg but what should i read first / whats your favorite fantasy book by her?"

Song of the Beast is a stand alone, and a good start..."

You could probably start anywhere, given that her characters are always exceptionally well rounded, and while her worlds and magic are original and fine, she introduces them very painlessly blended into the plotline. Both of the above are her strengths. She does no coming of age books; nothing standard fare like that.

The only work of hers that centers on more on a romance is the D'Arnath series.

The rest may develop a relationship in the course of the main plotline, but it won't be center stage, or even, there from the start.

You may wish to choose based on the storyline or setting that interests you most. She also varies the style and pacing a bit, depending on the story.

Mostly - whatever you choose - hold on and wait for the other shoe to drop - it always does! Characters and situations always develop and are never what they may seem to be at the start.

Happy reading.

message 39: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 230 comments Thank you for your advice, I'll do just that, and I'm going to start with Song of the Beast, both the plot and its being a standalone fit my current interest. Based on magic system, and synopsis, I think the Lighthouse duology could be another choice.

message 40: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1947 comments Alissa wrote: "Thank you for your advice, I'll do just that, and I'm going to start with Song of the Beast, both the plot and its being a standalone fit my current interest. Based on magic system, a..."

Both are excellent!

message 41: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 230 comments I think I'll try both :)

message 42: by Kyra (last edited Nov 05, 2014 08:41AM) (new)

Kyra Halland (kyrahalland) | 48 comments I absolutely adore Carol Berg. I've loved everything of hers I've read (which is everything except her most recent book, Dust and Light, which is on my nightstand, I've just been up to my ears in other things and haven't had the time to sit down with it and give it the attention it deserves). I love her well-developed characters and gorgeous prose, and her magic and worlds are unique and creative. I also like it that she tends to write more mature characters than the typical fantasy coming-of age teenage characters. My own preference is for stories about adults who are established in their adult lives and identities and then have those lives and identities disrupted, and that's mainly what Ms. Berg writes about.

The Lighthouse duology is on my very very short list of books to read again, and I also want to give the Transformation trilogy and Bridge of D'Arnath another read someday. I think she's one of the few authors whose books get better on the re-read.

message 43: by Mach (last edited Dec 07, 2014 11:01AM) (new)

Mach | 122 comments I tried Carol Berg but i felt her writing was difficult to follow properly. Maybe it's because english is not my first langage, but i don't have that problem with the hundreds of other books i have read in english.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Spirit Lens (other topics)
Song of the Beast (other topics)
Flesh and Spirit (other topics)
Transformation (other topics)
More...