The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2012: WIND/AIR > Summer Challenge Task Ideas

Comments (showing 1-50 of 161) (161 new)    post a comment »

Dlmrose | 7996 comments Mod
It's time to start thinking about fun tasks for the Summer Challenge. The bonus theme is WIND/AIR.

As in past challenges, some tasks may revolve around the seasonal theme of SUMMER. Others may reflect the bonus theme of WIND/AIR. Other tasks may have nothing to do with either of these themes (they’re just fun ideas for unique reading challenges).

Feel free to post as many ideas as you can come up with. Don't worry about repeating what another player might have already suggested. The more ideas, the better!

The moderators will draw from these ideas as well as their own to create the 5,10, and 15 point tasks. We look forward to seeing what you come up with!

message 2: by Kathy G. (last edited May 01, 2012 04:39AM) (new)

Kathy G. | 1671 comments As tribute to Shelley's poem "Ode to the West Wind"
Use a word from his poem in the title of your book.
State which line you took it from.

http://www.bartleby.com/101/610.html

-----

Or-- The winds come from the North, East, South, and West
Use one of those directions in your title.

------

Read a book with a cloud or a kite on the cover

------

Read a book with the letters in "kite" or "tail" in the author's name (any order)

-----
Read a book with the words wind, air, blow, flurry, flow, gale, blast, etc. in the title (wind words)

-----

The wind causes temperature changes: Read a book that has a temperature in the title--- Hot, Warm, Cold, Freezing, etc.

Kathy G. | 1671 comments The first kites were believed to have been made in Asia. Read a book set in an Asian country.

Kathy G. | 1671 comments When I think of directions-- I think of travel.
Read a book where the main character has to travel to another place or move in the story line.

message 5: by Kathy G. (last edited May 01, 2012 04:40AM) (new)

Kathy G. | 1671 comments Read a book set in a U.S. city (or state) that has the highest wind velosity.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c467.html

Dee (austhokie) | 4712 comments maybe a 15 point task, but this year was the first time in 30 odd years that there has been no pulitzer prize awarded in the fiction category...so maybe read a book in one of the categories where that has happened in the past (there are several) or a book published in one of those years

Connie (Connie_G) | 353 comments Read a book where an airplane, helicopter, hot air balloon, or dirigible are part of the story or on the cover.

Read a book about the space program, or a futuristic book in outer space.

Connie (Connie_G) | 353 comments When I think of summer, I think of the sun. Read a book with a yellow, red, or orange cover.

Read a book that has won the Orange Prize in any year.

Jayme VA | 749 comments Read a book by an author whose name skips a consecutive letter in the alphabet.

Examples: Agatha Christie (abc), Jen Lancaster (jkl) Irmgard Kuen (ijk), Ally Condy (abc), Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (abc)

Kathy G. | 1671 comments Read a book set in a country where the Seven Wonders of the World are located. (Travel theme)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonders_...

Kathy G. | 1671 comments Read a time travel book.

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I don't know why but I thought of this recently while listening to my iPod and figured it was perfect for this season...

Michael Jackson, the King of Pop, was born August 29, 1958 and died on June 25, 2009. Let's celebrate his life through some of his more memorable songs.

1. Thriller: Since the music video is based off of things that go bump in the night, read a paranormal book. Required: Paranormal must appear under genre on the main book page.

2. Smooth Criminal: You would have to be a smooth criminal to get past the many sleuths that we read. So read a mystery book. Required: Mystery must appear under genre on the main book page.

3. Remember the Time: This music video took place in the past, more specifically focuses on Egyptology. So read a Historical Fiction book.

4. I Just Can't Stop Loving You: Can't you feel the magic in the air. Read a Romance book.

5. Man in the Mirror: Take a good look at yourself and see what you can do to be better. Read a Self-Help book.

6. Black or White: It doesn't matter the color of the skin or the cover, so read any color-covered book you'd like. Or you can state the taste of books we like and read any genre we like.

Another one is...

7. ABC: We all learn our ABCs and 123s in school, so read a book that is classified as Young Adult.

Felina | 346 comments That's a great idea Meghan.

Jennifer W | 374 comments Ooh, I like that one, Meghan.

Full of hot air: Read a book about a politician, leader of a country, political party, etc.

Father's Day is in June, read a book where the main character is a dad OR a book that your dad/father figure recommends.

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 886 comments Awesome idea, Meghan!!!

Tammy AZ (TammyAZ) | 425 comments Like that idea Meghan!

Jennifer Summertime = SWIMMING!

Read a book with water on the cover (Could be an ocean/lake/river, or a pool, or a bathtub, or someone who is swimming on the cover)

Connie (Connie_G) | 353 comments Terrific task idea, Meghan!

Dee (austhokie) | 4712 comments I like yours meghan - that could be used as a 30/25 pointer or even a 20 pointer ;)

Dee (austhokie) | 4712 comments can you stick with the bithday zodiac signs one again - I really like that one

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments Let's Go For a Dip -- Read a genre you've normally don't read OR haven't read in the past few months.

Go Green: Wind Energy -- Read a book with a windmill on the cover, is made of recycled materials, OR is set in Texas, where Roscoe Wind Farm, one of the world's largest capacity wind farms, is located.

You Spin Me Round, Round -- Spin this spinner and let the winds take you on a reading journey. Read a book that predominatly matches the color that the spinner lands on. http://nlvm.usu.edu/en/nav/frames_asi...

message 22: by Deedee (last edited May 02, 2012 07:19AM) (new)

Deedee | 1161 comments The 2012 Summer Olympic Games, officially the Games of the XXX Olympiad, will take place in London, England, United Kingdom, from 27 July to 12 August 2012.

So ---
Read a novel that mostly takes place in London, England
or a non-fiction book about London (one suggestion: Londoners: The Days and Nights of London Now--As Told by Those Who Love It, Hate It, Live It, Left It, and Long for It)

Read a book that takes place (partly) on Mount Olympus (or which features the Greek Gods)

Read a book connected to the number "30" -- original published date 1930, the 30th book an author wrote, the number "30" in the title, etc.

Read a book with the name of a Summer Olympic Sport in it (I think we did this for the Winter Olympics a few challenges back)
See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Sum...
for a list of sports

message 23: by Deedee (last edited May 02, 2012 07:17AM) (new)

Deedee | 1161 comments Dee wrote: "can you stick with the bithday zodiac signs one again - I really like that one"

I like this one also.

Full of hot air: Read a book about a politician, leader of a country, political party, etc.

This one is good, too!

Dee (austhokie) | 4712 comments read a book where the cover is predominantly one of those found in the rings on the olympic flag

Christine US (ChristineUS) | 530 comments Dee wrote: "can you stick with the bithday zodiac signs one again - I really like that one"

I agree!

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments Dust in the Wind -- Read a book set in Kansas, written by a Native American or features Native Americans. (Dust in the Wind is a song by Kansas which was inspired by Native American poety - "for all we are is dust in the wind.")

Carla Ruffer (hpaddict) | 118 comments choose an airline and read a book set in it's country of origin. for example: American Airlines = takes place in America; Lufthansa = tales place in Germany; Air India = takes place in India, etc.

Cindy | 424 comments June July and August are the 6th 7th and 8th months of the year. Read #6,7,or 8 in a series.

Cindy | 424 comments The Dog Days of Summer

Read a book with a dog in the story or a dog on the cover

JennRenee (JennReneeRead) | 1004 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "I don't know why but I thought of this recently while listening to my iPod and figured it was perfect for this season...

Michael Jackson, the King of Pop, was born August 29, 1958 and died on June..."

Ohhhh I lov this one!

JennRenee (JennReneeRead) | 1004 comments Usako wrote: "Let's Go For a Dip -- Read a genre you've normally don't read OR haven't read in the past few months.

Go Green: Wind Energy -- Read a book with a windmill on the cover, is made of recycled mater..."

i like the spinner!

message 32: by Janice CA (last edited May 02, 2012 03:33PM) (new)

Janice CA | 420 comments According to astrological thought, People born under air signs are often considered the great communicators, due to their independence and objectivity. In honor of these traits, read a book which communicates controversial ideas. See if you too can keep an open mind.

Read a book in which someone "airs their dirty laundry", a tell-all book or a guilty pleasure.

Read an author whose last name could also be used as a first name. For example, Melanie Benjamin, Shirley Jackson, or Gypsy Rose Lee.

Valorie  | 723 comments Great ideas Usako and Meghan!

Chris (ChrisMD) | 490 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "I don't know why but I thought of this recently while listening to my iPod and figured it was perfect for this season...

Michael Jackson, the King of Pop, was born August 29, 1958 and died on June..."

Really like the MJ idea!

message 35: by Marie-Anne (last edited May 02, 2012 09:42PM) (new)

Marie-Anne | 151 comments I like the Summer olympics idea, including the sports, the colors, the countries, and even the continents. Since the olympics originated in Greece, that could also be a related challenge. Also the zodiac idea. Also the wonders of the world, especially as summer is travelling season. There are several different types of "wonders of the world", so that would make a great challenge. I also like using the colors of summer.

I just thought of another way to use the olympics theme: revisit past summer olympics (for example, every 10th summer olympic) and use the location as part of a challenge. If any new sports were added his time, that could be another idea.

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1334 comments Chemical Combination - Air is made up of a mixture of gases.The major component of air is nitrogen gas followed by oxygen. Read a book that has two Ns and two Os (N2/O2) in the title or in the author's full name.

Kara (KaraAyako) Ramadan - Ramadan begins on July 19, 2012 and ends on August 18, 2012.

1. Because it's an Islamic tradition, read a book about Islam, containing a Muslim character, or taking place in an Islamic country.

2. Ramadan is a religious practice. Read a book with the genre "religion" or "philosophy" on its main page.

3. Food, and its abstention, is what Ramadan is generally known for. Read a book about food.

-----

Summer breeze - Read a book whose title shares a main word (no articles or prepositions) with the lyrics of the song Summer Breeze by Seals & Croft.

message 38: by Suzanne (last edited May 03, 2012 11:57AM) (new)

Suzanne | 207 comments Since summer is THE peak travel season, read a book with a suitcase on the cover.
Alphabet Weekends by Elizabeth Noble The Girl She Used to Be by David Cristofano
---------------------------------------
Read a book in which the individual letters or words of the title are in different colors.
This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris Seizure (Virals #2) by Kathy Reichs
Room by Emma Donoghue
---------------------------------------
In honor of the Olympic medals, read a book with gold, silver, or bronze in the title OR whose cover is gold silver or bronze. A cover displaying a significant or large item of gold, silver, or bronze could be acceptable too.

Silver Wedding / Irish Gold: A Nuala Anne McGrail Novel / The Bronze Horseman OR
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium, #3) by Stieg Larsson
Last Night at Chateau Marmont by Lauren Weisberger

Michelle (deckfullojokers) | 47 comments My first time suggesting a task idea...be easy on me!

In The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Pooh goes wish all of his friends a Happy Windsday. Read a book with two words together that are not typically a compound word.

Suzanne | 207 comments One of my favorite things about summer is the quantity and variety of fresh fruit! Read a book featuring a piece of fruit, or fruits on the cover.

Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty  A Novel by Joshilyn Jackson The Mango Season by Amulya Malladi

---------------------------------------------
In particular, August is the month of fresh, juicy peaches. Read a book with the word peach in the title (The Peach Keeper) or with a picture of a peach on the cover.
Peaches (Peaches, #1) by Jodi Lynn Anderson Plum's Peaches by P.G. Wodehouse.
----------------------------------------------
July is National Ice Cream Month. Read a book featuring ice cream or with ice cream in the title.

I Scream, You Scream (A Mystery A La Mode, #1) by Wendy Lyn Watson The Ice Cream Girls by Dorothy Koomson

----------------------------------------------
Since the sun is usually so bright in the summer, read a book showing a pair of sunglasses on the cover.

Mai Tai One On (Tiki Goddess, #1) by Jill Marie Landis Thin, Rich, Pretty by Beth Harbison Heist Society by Ally Carter

---------------------------------------------
In honor of summer and wind, read a book with a picture of a fan on the cover.

Savannah Blues (Weezie and Bebe Mystery, #1) by Mary Kay Andrews

Suzanne | 207 comments Summer reminds me of days spent at the amusement park or country fairs. Read a book featuring an amusement park or fair.

Any of the Chris Grabenstein "Jersey Shore series" would work. Tilt-a-Whirl, Whack A Mole etc. Other examples - State Fair, Wild Ride, and Mirror Maze.

----------------------------------------------------
June is the time of weddings and graduations. Read a book where the central theme centers around a wedding or a graduation.

The Bride Will Keep Her Name: A Novel, Commencement.

----------------------------------------------------
And let's not forget the Fourth of July. Read a book with a patriotic theme or with a red, white, and / or blue cover.

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Murder  A Revolutionary War Mystery by Karen Swee, Patriot Games by Tom Clancy

message 42: by Suzanne (last edited May 03, 2012 12:22PM) (new)

Suzanne | 207 comments Since Chicago is the Windy City, read a book (fiction or non) that takes place in Chicago, IL.

--------------------------------------------------
Read a book in which a tornado or hurricane occurs and is one of the main plots of a book. Or read a non-fiction book about tornadoes, hurricanes, or stormchasers.

Suzanne | 207 comments The lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer. Read a book that most people might consider a "beach read." Or read any book that is relaxing, comforting, or "light" reading for you.

-----------------------------------------------
I'm not sure why, but it seems that citrusey colors and flavors are very hip in the summer. Read a book with a bright 'citrusy' colored cover - lime green, lemon yellow, orange, tangerine. Or, read a book with a picture of a citrus fruit on the cover.

Suzanne | 207 comments Spirometry is a measurement of breathing; it is the amount of air (volume) and speed of intake (flow) that one draws into his/her lungs. Read any book that mentions breathing in the title - Waiting to Exhale by Terry McMillan, Breathless by Dean Koontz, Inhale (Just Breathe, #1) by Kendall Grey.
-----------------------------------------------------

Not sure what to do with this, but I've got "The Colors of the Wind," running through my head. Maybe read a book with a colorful cover? Read a book with a rainbow on the front?

Suzanne | 207 comments Oh my gosh, we can't forget Christmas in July!!

Cassie | 133 comments I was thinking along the same lines as Suzanne, but a little wider. In July we have Independence Day in the US, Bastille Day in France, and Canada Day (need I say 'in Canada'?). Pick a book that takes place in one of these countries or is about one of these countries.

Or, I found these huge lists of holidays that take place during the summer challenge, which could work for June, July, and/or August.
http://www.holidayinsights.com/moreho...
We could pick a holiday and read, for example, a book about rat catchers or a book with cheesecake on the cover, etc.

Mrs.soule (Mrssoule) | 653 comments Jayme VA wrote: "Read a book by an author whose name skips a consecutive letter in the alphabet.

Examples: Agatha Christie (abc), Jen Lancaster (jkl) Irmgard Kuen (ijk), Ally Condy (abc), Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (abc)"

Jayme, I like this one!

Coco Kimura | 66 comments Wow, all these ideas are amazing!

How about something to do with Gone with the Wind?

1. Read a book that was turned into a movie and won an academy award.
2. Read a book set in the 19th century American South
3. Read a book about the civil war.
4. Read a book with a kiss on the cover.
5. Read a book about a wild romance.

Suzanne | 207 comments Read a book featuring a pilot (i.e. Airframe or a book about a famous pilot - biographies about Charles Lindburgh, Amelia Earhart, the Wright Brothers.

Suzanne | 207 comments Cassie wrote: "I was thinking along the same lines as Suzanne, but a little wider. In July we have Independence Day in the US, Bastille Day in France, and Canada Day (need I say 'in Canada'?). Pick a book that ta..."

Those are some fun holidays! I was noodling an idea about dementia as I'm dealing with my mother's disease now. But, what I was thinking of suggesting would be perfect for 6/3 Repeat Day. I was going to suggest reading a book whose title repeats words - i.e. Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter or Lucia, Lucia

And I noticed that 6/27 is Sunglasses Day which would fit post 40 about sunglasses on the cover.

« previous 1 3 4