Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Gabriel's Ghost > Science Fiction Romance

Comments (showing 1-50 of 55) (55 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

Felicia (feliciaday) | 530 comments Mod
Post any other books you've read in the genre that you'd recommend! I love all of Anne McCaffery, does she qualify as romance though? This genre has a more blurred line I think (and fewer books with naughty bits in them?) Thoughts?

Sylvia | 14 comments Felicia wrote: "Post any other books you've read in the genre that you'd recommend! I love all of Anne McCaffery, does she qualify as romance though? This genre has a more blurred line I think (and fewer books w..."

I don't really think they count, though I agree they are great books (at least her older books are - not all the cowritten stuff that came later). I always liked the romance in The Ship Who Sang!, a tricky thing to pull off when the heroine is a spaceship! But the romance was rarely essential to her stories.

I've been trying to think of much sci-fi romance and I can't so I'm really looking forward to this month's reads and any suggestions from this thread. I do like the Celta series by Robin D. Owens!. Sharon Shinn is the only other I could think of with her Archangel books, but there's never any smut in her stories.

Drakhoran | 3 comments I think at least some of the Liaden books by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller would fit.

Samantha (samanthadelayed) | 20 comments Susan Grant Her book Moonstruck was great. Romance with sci-fi flavor.

Vanessa | 46 comments Eve Langlais, writes Sci-fi romance. It's very silly and very naughty stuff though.

Jayne Castle (aka Jayne Ann Krentz aka Amanda Quick), is the Sci-fi future set of the Arcane Society series.

Monique | 10 comments Vanessa wrote: "Jayne Castle (aka Jayne Ann Krentz aka Amanda Quick), is the Sci-fi future set of the Arcane Society series."

I agree with Vanessa, also Sherrilyn Kenyon The League series that qualifies.

message 7: by Jaime the Wizzard (last edited May 01, 2012 08:47AM) (new)

Jaime the Wizzard (wizzardofxxxx) | 35 comments McCaffery did the Petaybee trilogy with another author and romance plays a big big part in it.

SarahSmith (sasmith361) | 1 comments Vanessa wrote: "Eve Langlais, writes Sci-fi romance. It's very silly and very naughty stuff though.

Jayne Castle (aka Jayne Ann Krentz aka Amanda Quick), is the Sci-fi future set of the Arcane Society series."

I agree with Vanessa about Jayne Castle, but also make sure you read the harmony series, which eventually ties into the Arcane Society.

Chelsea | 47 comments I love that Castle/Krentz/Quick's books most recent book tie together, loosely. :D

message 10: by Ella (last edited May 01, 2012 10:31AM) (new)

Ella Drake (elladrake) | 1 comments There are so many good books to chose. But I think it depends on whether you're looking for something that's more science fiction with romance, or romance with science fiction.

For the former, I enjoyed Sara Creasy's Song of Scarabaeus quite a bit.

If you're looking for more on the romance side of the aisle, I also enjoyed Eve Kenin's Driven and would love to find more books like it.

I also enjoy Sinclair, Grant, Jayne Castle, Katherine Allred, Jess Granger, and Kenyon's League series.

Jessica | 15 comments I wouldn't exactly call Anne McCaffery romance. I think her series have romance themes in them and relationships have a lot to do with the stories, but I don't consider them romance novels. I have mainly read her Pern series and the closest those get to romance is when the main character has a queen dragon and essentially goes into heat. McCaffery doesn't really write sexy scenes but just shows the flight of the dragons and always ends before sex happens. She then transitions to the riders who are depicted as post-coital. I think some of her other series are roughly the same way.

I do know that she has written a few romance novels the one I know of, but haven't read, is called The Lady, and looks like it has some historical aspects to it but mostly looks a bit like a Scottish/highlander romance novel.

Megan (Megsimadic) | 23 comments People may hate me for this, but I actually quite liked The Host by Stephanie Meyer.
I thought it was really quite an interesting sci-fi two person love triangle.

Vanessa | 46 comments Here's another thought: J.D. Robb is technically sci-fi romance, though with definitely a stronger mystery/suspense slant.

Chelsea | 47 comments The science fiction twist in JD Robb's In Death series *completely threw me for a loop* when I started reading them last week. I wasn't expecting it at all.

Carolyn F. Ella wrote: "There are so many good books to chose. But I think it depends on whether you're looking for something that's more science fiction with romance, or romance with science fiction.

For the former, I e..."

Love Eve Kenin's books too.

Carolyn F. Megan wrote: "People may hate me for this, but I actually quite liked The Host by Stephanie Meyer.
I thought it was really quite an interesting sci-fi two person love triangle."

The Host is a great book but it's so big I think that will deter a lot of people.

Carolyn F. Drakhoran wrote: "I think at least some of the Liaden books by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller would fit."

I'm working my way through that series, they're really good books.

Carolyn F. Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff is a series a friend recommended. It's supposed to be really good.

Nancy (nanceebee) | 56 comments Megan wrote: "People may hate me for this, but I actually quite liked The Host by Stephanie Meyer.
I thought it was really quite an interesting sci-fi two person love triangle."

I enjoyed it alot!

Leesa (leesalogic) | 52 comments I'm so excited about both of these books! I already have Grimspace in print, but I went and bought Gabriel's Ghost for my ereader. Yes! Sci Fi romance!

Melinda | 12 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff is a series a friend recommended. It's supposed to be really good."

I'd like to second the Valor series. There's no smut, but the gradually developing romance through the series is crucial for character growth.

Melinda | 12 comments Vanessa wrote: "Here's another thought: J.D. Robb is technically sci-fi romance, though with definitely a stronger mystery/suspense slant."

I wouldn't label the J.D. Robb "In death" series
sci-fi. It's definitely romance-focussed (with eventually repetitive sex scenes), but I'd call it more future-detective. The aspect of being able to travel to other moons/planets and having neat tech is a very minor aspect of the relationships and mysteries. But whoo, Rourke! *fans self*

Just re-read all 40-whatever books in a comfort-reading blitz, so my love for the books is probably obvious :}

message 23: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

Melinda wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Here's another thought: J.D. Robb is technically sci-fi romance, though with definitely a stronger mystery/suspense slant."

I wouldn't label the J.D. Robb "In death" series
sci-fi...."

HAHA I swear one month I'll just do the first three books as a pick, best romance EVER

Melinda | 12 comments Felicia wrote: "Melinda wrote: HAHA I swear one month I'll just do the first three books as a pick, best romance EVER

That would be excellent! There's so much character growth through the romance, plus Roarke (whoo!) and a kickass heroine. And smut. Can't forget that :}

Rachel | 10 comments The brides of the kindred series by Evangeline Anderson is sci-fi...but I would have to classify it as dirty smut...for some reason I enjoyed those books though. What does that say about me? Eek.

message 26: by Ivy (last edited May 02, 2012 03:27PM) (new)

Ivy (ivy99) | 40 comments I totally co-sign onto the idea of having some JD Robb for the Vaginal Fantasy hang out. They are more detective procedural in nature but there are books that have greater sci-fi elements in it. I don't recall the titles but there was one "In Death" book with clones/cloning in it and another that had virtual reality as the murderer's weapon. Rourke in medieval garb... swooooon!

R.H. Watson (rh_watson) | 2 comments There's a Goodreads Sci-Fi Romance group that should also be a good reference. Their bookshelf has over 375 books on it broken down into 20 subcategories.

Melinda | 12 comments Ivy wrote: "I don't recall the titles but there was one "In Death" book with clones/cloning in it and another that had virtual reality as the murderer's weapon. "
That's "Origin in death" and definitely one of the best in the series. But it's book 24 and the romance/s (Eve+Roarke and the minor characters) and already well established.
"Fantasy in Death" is the virtual reality one, book 37. (at least according to the "In death" wikipedia entry.
If we start with the first 3 as Felicia suggested, those would be excellent gateway drugs... er, introductions to the series *g*

Carolyn Smith | 32 comments Heh, I hated the clones one. But that may be because I'm a biologist and the science was just wrong. Sorry clones are not identical people. True clones are more different than identical twins.

Carolyn Smith | 32 comments SciFi Romances: Bujold's Cordelia's Honor books (the prequels to the Miles Vorkosigan saga)

Carolyn Smith | 32 comments The Honor Harrington books aren't romance, but there are definitely romances in them. Though not explicit sex scenes really.

RogueHireling (rogue_hireling) | 76 comments R.H. wrote: "There's a Goodreads Sci-Fi Romance group that should also be a good reference. Their bookshelf has over 375 books on it broken down into 20 subcategories."

This is great! Was hoping to get some more SciFi romance suggestions since I have read both this months books already.

Stardoc is another great SciFi romance series. =)

Miranda | 7 comments Diana Palmer of the Western Romance wrote a sci-fi trilogy(?). I'm not actually sure of the number. The first one is the only one available in paper book form. It was surprisingly good. Sherrilyn Kenyon's League series is great. Jayne Castle's stuff is good, but the newer one's by her are better.

Kate | 1 comments Has anyone read Bio of a Space Tyrant series by Peirs Anthony?

Jes (Tiaama) | 110 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff is a series a friend recommended. It's supposed to be really good."

Second that!

Jes (Tiaama) | 110 comments Carolyn wrote: "SciFi Romances: Bujold's Cordelia's Honor books (the prequels to the Miles Vorkosigan saga)"

And Bujold... love her! Between Tanya Huff and Bujold I would not be able to decide!

Melinda | 12 comments Kate wrote: "Has anyone read Bio of a Space Tyrant series by Peirs Anthony?"

A long time ago. I remember getting squicked out by it, but can't remember what sparked that reaction. Might have just been an overly-teen reaction :P

Melinda | 12 comments Carolyn wrote: "Heh, I hated the clones one. But that may be because I'm a biologist and the science was just wrong. Sorry clones are not identical people. True clones are more different than identical twins."

I'll keep that in mind should my own clones romance manuscript ever get beyond the synopsis/summary stage *g*

Melinda | 12 comments Carolyn wrote: "SciFi Romances: Bujold's Cordelia's Honor books (the prequels to the Miles Vorkosigan saga)"
Ooh, yes! The first two for sure. (although there's no smut, so don't know how the other ladies on the podcast would like it.
And there's definitely romance in the Chalion fantasies by Bujold, although it's part of the character development and plot, not central.

Amber Dawn (ginger_bug) | 146 comments I am in love with everything Bujold I've read so far. Doesn't get too smutty, but excellent sci fi and fantasy adventure stuff with romantic plot elements and bad ass ladies.

Carolyn Smith | 32 comments So is Vaginal Fantasy supposed to be specifically romance or all strong female leads? I'd actually love to see books with generally strong leads, not necessarily romances.

And I'd also recommend Naomi Kritzer's Fires of the Faithful for a fantasy series in that vein.

message 42: by Carolyn (last edited May 09, 2012 06:13PM) (new)

Carolyn Smith | 32 comments @Melinda: I just joined goodreads so I'm not sure yet if it's possible to do PMs or what, but let me know if you want a more detailed synopsis of current cloning technology. :)

ETA and while we're on how awesome Bujold is, her handling of cloning (Mark, Miles' clone) was quite well done.

message 43: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

Carolyn wrote: "So is Vaginal Fantasy supposed to be specifically romance or all strong female leads? I'd actually love to see books with generally strong leads, not necessarily romances.

And I'd also recommend ..."

Er, It was supposed to be, but people seem to be discontent if the sexy-timez doesn't happen. If you'd like to start a forum topic with NON romance books I'm sure people would enjoy discussing?

message 44: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new)

So GUYS Collision Course if you want a STUPID but REALLY raunchy sci-fi book...

I was gonna pick this, but it is so ridiculous I couldn't do it, but now I'm thinking I shoulda just gone terrible for the smut of it. I dunno. This book's heroine, upon seeing the hero, LITERALLY says:
"Sweet Meteor Candy..." Anyway, pro-tip, if you want to laugh but then read sexy timez, it's a "good" read.

Carolyn Smith | 32 comments I'll start one in the general forum.

And I want to add that I wasn't complaining--I have really enjoyed the books so far, and I definitely am addicted to romance in general (I pretty much inhale each new Nora Roberts book as it comes out...)so this is great either way!

Lindsay (roguefire) | 85 comments Okay, "Sweet Meteor Candy" is my new favorite phrase...must find opportunity to sneak it into conversation....

I think if the Chicago library has Collision Course, for a laugh and during grad school break, I'll give it a whirl!

message 47: by Tiffany (last edited May 12, 2012 07:03PM) (new)

Tiffany Scott (tjscott978) | 15 comments The sci-fi book I most recently read that has a romand aspect in it is Across the Universe, by Beth Revis. I haven't read the second book A Million Suns yet, but it's in my Kindle waiting for my.

I am more of a fantasy buff and I have to say that if you are looking for a good romance Mercedes Lackey has some great relationships in her stories. Not terribly smutty, but I think the relationships are great. They always have a great conflict that keeps them separate for some reason. The love scenes are tasteful and the women are their own people with their own thoughts and agendas.
The Last Herald Mage series starting with Magic's Promise will make you cry for sure. It had a love affair that is essentially separated by time and death.
It is about two men, but I think it has one of the most tragically lovely love affairs I have ever read.

Carolyn Smith | 32 comments I second the Mercedes Lackey comments. Magic's Promise makes me cry every time, as does the second book in the Arrows of the Queen trio.

Tiffany Scott (tjscott978) | 15 comments The Arrows of the Queen trilogy was how I was introduced to Mercedes Lackey and I have been hooked on fantasy ever since. Anything she writes in her Valdemar realm I will read and devour. If I am in a particularly maudlin mood I will re-read Arrows of the Queen and Last Herald-Mage back-to-back.

Kate (cupkate916) | 1 comments "sweet meteor candy" is my ziggy stardust cover band

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Ship Who Sang (other topics)
Moonstruck (other topics)
Song of Scarabaeus (other topics)
Driven (other topics)
Valor's Choice (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robin D. Owens (other topics)
Sharon Shinn (other topics)