SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

Monthly Nominations > Book Selections and Nominations discussion

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey (Geoffreys) We are a much different group than we were in previous years and there have been a lot of different comments here and there about what can and cannot (should and should not) be nominated. So, I thought I'd open up a discussion so we can make sure we all agree on our format here.

First, here are our current guidelines:

1. We do the nominations two month(ish) ahead of time ...
2. There are two books a month - one nominated by a member volunteer and one based on a theme.
3. For the member volunteer books, they are 3 -4 books within a genre where at least one has been written in the past 5 years.
4. For the theme nominations, I have a list and From that list first a theme is voted upon, then books are nominated and seconded within that theme and then we vote.
5. In a vote, if no one book wins with at least 10% more of the vote than the 2nd place book, we have a run-off.

That's about it for the rules around nominations. I'd like to open up conversation to anything and everything about how we do things .... so ready, set, Go!

message 2: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey (Geoffreys) As long as I'm thinking about it, there are a couple thoughts and/or questions:

* Once it's time to read a book, I start up a thread for everyone to comment on as they see fit. We don't have discussion leaders. I like the idea of leaders, but do we want them? Are we still too small for that? If we do want them, how do we choose the leader?

* Nominations by the monthly volunteer are mostly done by our older members. Is it working for everyone that way? Do our newer members want to nominate but are unclear on how? Do we need to try something else?

message 3: by Charles (new)

Charles (NogDog) As I mentioned elsewhere, I'd like to see more emphasis on newer works, rather than reading older, well-known works from well established authors. When we select a popular work from a popular author written in, say, 1995; there's a real good chance that many of us (especially us graybeards) have already read it -- and probably re-read it if it was really good. :-)

How to implement such a restriction may be problematic. We could just say all nominations must have been first published since [pick a year], and then maybe have periodic occasions where we focus on older novels. Or maybe no one else minds -- perhaps younger readers are discovering great "classics" we older readers already knew about?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read a lot of the previous selections too and rarely feel the need to reread, skipping those titles instead. I'm not sure it would be all that easy to find books nobody has read. Between Geoffrey, Charles, Donna, and me, one of us has probably read the book selected unless it's a very new publication.

What I'd recommend. An annual or bi-annual themes for: New Publications (with two years max), Classics (minimum twenty to thirty years history), and Indies. I do think the Indies are a breed apart should have their own theme for nominations and selections.

Other than that, I'd suggest an author can only have one selection in a twelve month period, but can be nominated any number of times if not selected.

message 5: by Bigal-sa (new)

Bigal-sa | 28 comments Charles wrote: "As I mentioned elsewhere, I'd like to see more emphasis on newer works, rather than reading older, well-known works from well established authors. When we select a popular work from a popular autho..."

Greg wrote:"What I'd recommend. An annual or bi-annual themes for: New Publications (with two years max), Classics (minimum twenty to thirty years history), and Indies. I do think the Indies are a breed apart should have their own theme for nominations and selections."

Remember, I gave the group an indie selection last year, and it didn't go down well at all...

message 6: by Geoffrey (last edited May 01, 2012 09:48AM) (new)

Geoffrey (Geoffreys) Greg, I kinda like that 12-month author hiatus and that's not difficult to put together a list. But, is that too long? is 6-month better (or too short?)?

message 7: by Charles (new)

Charles (NogDog) It's hard for me to imagine we can't find books by 11 different authors before we re-choose an author. :-)

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna (DonnaHR) | 365 comments I think 12 months is a good length for the author hiatus.

I think one of the problems is that when we vote on a theme and then nominate books, what happens is that people nominate books that they have read and enjoyed, and for those of us who have been reading in the genre for decades that often means we will have already read those books. I suspect this is why we see the same authors coming up a lot--they're good so people recommend their books.

I think we see this less when individuals nominate the books. I know when I do a month, I only list books I haven't read, but which I would like to read. That naturally seems to be newer and often indie authors.

I like Greg's idea of having specific themes of New/Classics/Indies. Maybe one month out of every three or four instead of voting on a theme, we could use one of those on rotation. Of course, defining indie may be a problem...

Bigal-sa wrote: "Remember, I gave the group an indie selection last year, and it didn't go down well at all...
"

I'm trying to remember what book you're referring to. Was it Lyonesse? I didn't think that was an indie. And even so, I don't think anyone has a problem with indies as a group, some books click for a person and some books don't. I'm not afraid to not like a book.

The thing I like best about this group is that it gets me reading books I never would have read on my one. Plus, I have enjoyed re-reading some oldies and seeing how they compare to the memory of my first reading.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Greg wrote: "Remember, I gave the group an indie selection last year, and it didn't go down well at all... "

Well, I haven't been very impressed with the three indie science fiction selections I've read (or attempted to read) for this group, but other people seem to like them, and it seems fair to have an outlet for these kind of books.

Also, for rules, authors can't nominate their own books. I might also add husbands, wives, lovers, brothers, sisters, or any one else with a close personal relationship to the author who might not give an impartial view of the novel.

message 10: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey (Geoffreys) I think I may declare a moderator book veto during the nominations process where, after a review of a book's sample, we can declare that a book just isn't up to snuff. I'm thinking a review of editing issues, etc.

This assumes that everyone trusts us not to veto it just because we're not interested or something equally partisan.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree. There needs to some quality review control for self published works--and professionally published works too and have bad formatting and OCR mistakes. I usually try to download a sample before nominating to check for these problems. Not always, but usually.

message 12: by Bigal-sa (new)

Bigal-sa | 28 comments I am 100% behind your veto idea

message 13: by Charles (new)

Charles (NogDog) Yeah, the current selection provides a definite impetus for some sort of pre-screening process. Maybe once we have a set of nominations, we can allocate each to a moderator or "certified" member (one who has been active here for awhile) to give the sample a look and provide a recommendation based on formatting issues (if any), general quality, and price. We don't need to get too terribly picky at this point, but we do want to avoid members wasting money on clearly inferior (or grossly overpriced) books.

message 14: by Donna (new)

Donna (DonnaHR) | 365 comments I think this won't really be much of an issue (this month was certainly out of the norm) but it's good to have a policy in place.

unread topics | mark unread