Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Where would You Like to see a Historical Romance set?

Comments (showing 84-133)    post a comment »

message 133: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1214 comments Kimberly, You won't be disappointed. It's Debbie's first book. What a debut!

message 132: by Kimberly (last edited May 23, 2012 06:20PM) (new)

Kimberly Lyn wrote: "I agree Kimberly. Also I think LIH has a broad range of locations that other publishers have overlooked such as Africa--I loved Debbie Kaufman's The Doctor's Mission."

I have The Doctor's Mission on my TBR list, I'm glad to hear it's so good. I'll have to buy it soon.

Ausjenny | 3872 comments Deborah shes the one who I found first when googling, (I bet we have a different second name). I only get Jennifer for offical things.

Deborah Hale | 639 comments Mod
Deborah thats interesting. thats my name. but I know there is an author or two called Jennifer Blake which are not me!!!!!!!!

Besides you, the Jennifer Blake I'm most familiar with is from Louisiana. She is a bestselling author of historical romance, most recently The Three Graces series for MIRA.

Melinda | 10 comments Deborah wrote: "I guess I'll have to write them :)

Melinda, one of the best pieces of advice I read about writing when I started out was, "Write the kind of story you want to read but can never find."

I believe..."

I'll have to follow that! :) Thank you. I will most certainly try just that!

Ausjenny | 3872 comments Deborah thats interesting. thats my name. but I know there is an author or two called Jennifer Blake which are not me!!!!!!!!

I guess I'll have to write them :)

Melinda, one of the best pieces of advice I read about writing when I started out was, "Write the kind of story you want to read but can never find."

I believe it was from Jennifer Blake.

Melinda | 10 comments Patty wrote: "My settings are mainly in the South--Georgia, Alabama, North and South Carolina. But I will share I might head north and over the deep blue sea soon--I recently found out that one of my great grand..."

You don't have to head north for that. My great four times grandfather was born and raised in what is now TN, then was NC, and was a spy for the Americans during the Revolution, his brother was General John Sevier of the American Army....plenty of action to be set in VA/NC/SC/GA.

I still would love to see books set in the War Between the States era, or just after, with Southern heroes. I guess I'll have to write them :)

I LOVE the idea of Canadian mountie stories, I remember reading Mrs. Mike in 5th grade and falling in love with Mounties and the wild wilderness of Canada.

I'd like to see some stories set up on Lake Superior, there is so much there historically---the wrecks, the Life Saving Service that became the Coast Guard, the light houses, the weather.

message 125: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1214 comments I agree Kimberly. Also I think LIH has a broad range of locations that other publishers have overlooked such as Africa--I loved Debbie Kaufman's The Doctor's Mission.

Kimberly I'd like to see some set in Canada, Africa, Australia and New Zealand more. I think they're a bit of an untapped market and the places are obviously rich in history perfect for love stories to be set.

message 123: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1214 comments Moves can do that. Especially if the book gets buried under something.

Jennifer (Jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Lyn wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I love the Highland settings and when they do Texas History....well, when it's accurate! We have some cool historical stuff in Texas like the battle of the Alamo, The battle of San..."

I've read the first in the series, just haven't gotten the others! lol Have to get them! I think I started reading it in the middle of a move and then the moving took over!

Elizabeth Mundie (ElizabethAlphinMundie) | 5 comments That's an interesting link about Laura Secord. I knew that I knew less about the War of 1812 than I did about the U.S. Revolutionary War and our Civil War, but I thought I knew a fair amount about it. Obviously, I still have a lot to learn! I'm glad I read this discussion.

Laura Secord sounds like a really interesting woman though. :-)

She has a chocolate company named after her! You don't get much higher honors than that. :-D

http://www.laurasecord.ca/history/

Elizabeth Mundie (ElizabethAlphinMundie) | 5 comments Deborah wrote: "I'm told that the War of 1812 isn't even taught in English schools. Guess the Brits don't like thinking about the fact they actually lost a naval battle or two. Then again, the Americans never woul..."

Deborah wrote: "I'm told that the War of 1812 isn't even taught in English schools. Guess the Brits don't like thinking about the fact they actually lost a naval battle or two. Then again, the Americans never woul..."

I had never heard that saying and never knew that Candians see it differently than we do in the U.S. Interesting!

message 118: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1214 comments Well, I enjoyed the period--it had everything!

Naomi Rawlings | 77 comments Sounds like a good series, Lyn. I had no idea you'd written one like that. :-)

message 116: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1214 comments Jennifer wrote: "I love the Highland settings and when they do Texas History....well, when it's accurate! We have some cool historical stuff in Texas like the battle of the Alamo, The battle of San Jacinto, One of ..."

My TX Star of Destiny series that Jenny mentioned tackles all those events 1821-1847. A fabulously rich tapestry of major historic events.

Carissa | 8 comments I love the early Colonial period as well as the frontier period, but I get tired or reading books were the author makes the Native Americans out to be the bad guys all the time.

Which is why I love Laura Frantz's books she tires to find a balance to see both sides. Sometimes the settlers are the hero's sometimes it's the Native American that it is the hero.

Melinda | 10 comments Cheryl wrote: "Deborah wrote: "Ausjenny wrote: "thanks Deborah, I love the Scarlet Pimpernel. Love the way he was portrayed as a typical aristocrat but was actually a very intelligent man who did care about somet..."

Cheryl wrote: "Deborah wrote: "Ausjenny wrote: "thanks Deborah, I love the Scarlet Pimpernel. Love the way he was portrayed as a typical aristocrat but was actually a very intelligent man who did care about somet..."

I love the Scarlet Pimpernel! I like the Leslie Howard/Merle Oberon movie the best.

I enjoyed Naomi's book set during the French Revolution.

I would like to see a novel set during the War Between the States where a Confederate is the GOOD GUY! I'm a Southerner and I'm really tired of my ancestors being stereotyped. Maybe I'll have to write it myself :)

I like medievals, I like those set in England and Scotland the best. I like the old west era here in the US too. I'd like to see some historicals in Egypt and the Middle East too.

Naomi Rawlings | 77 comments Deborah wrote: "I'm told that the War of 1812 isn't even taught in English schools. Guess the Brits don't like thinking about the fact they actually lost a naval battle or two. Then again, the Americans never woul..."

Debra, I never knew that about the War of 1812 and Canada. Isn't it interesting how national perspective changes so much? I really think the War of 1812 meant different things to even Americans. It wasn't very popular along the Great Lakes corridor, where there was a lot of trading between America and Canada. Along the Eastern Seaboard, it was more popular, as eastern towns kept getting their young men impressed into the British Navy.

Laura Secord sounds like a really interesting woman though. :-)

Jennifer (Jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Jennifer and Naomi, thats why I love Lyn Cote's series where she wrote at before the time of the Alamo.
It would be great to see more and your are so right about California history I dont know ver..."

Yup, Lyn is good about Texas History. Very few people do write about it. I guess because the south gets forgotten with some of it's history. IDK

Ausjenny | 3872 comments Deborah wrote: "Jenny, it may not be such a bad thing that you didn't get taught history in school. Some teachers can make it so deadly dull that students end up hating it. I developed my love of history from read..."

I think you are right Deborah. I was thinking last night back in the early 90's we didnt' have the ease to research we do know. I think some of the earlier writers took alot of liberties with overseas countries because they thought no one would notice. One that comes to mind is Lori Wick. While I Loved her books the book Every Storm has a small part set in Australia and it was so wrong. She had a naval base set in North Queensland but about 2 hours from Sydney its so wrong. (its more like 24 hours away). Also her book set in the Czech republic I have heard from a friend who is very familiar with the customs, etc said there are alot of errors and the same with some of the ones set in england. I still loved the books but the errors annoyed me.
Now I think I would be even more annoying as we have the internet and can google something. I did this recently when I thought something seemed wrong only to learn some facts I didn't know. I have googled for more info on things like the Negro fort, war of 1812 etc just to learn more. I am not sure I would keep reading a book or books if they are way off now like I use to.
I dont mind if facts are changed for a fiction story as long as they have the note to readers from the author stating what they changed and the correct info. Lyn did this in her Texas series.

Ausjenny | 3872 comments Naomi wrote: "I didn't know Lyn had some pre-Alamo books. :-)"

They are not LIH books but Her Inheritance Forever

The Desires of Her Heart
Her Abundant Joy (Texas: Star of Destiny, Book 3): A Novel

message 109: by Deborah (last edited May 12, 2012 05:54AM) (new)

Jenny, it may not be such a bad thing that you didn't get taught history in school. Some teachers can make it so deadly dull that students end up hating it. I developed my love of history from reading historical fiction, which made the past come alive for me. That's what led me to read more nonfiction on certain time periods that interested me. So you're getting a fun, interesting history course now through your reading! I'll bet you get to know way more about certain historical times than many of the so-called 'bright' students who crammed it for exams in school then promptly forgot it. :)

I'm told that the War of 1812 isn't even taught in English schools. Guess the Brits don't like thinking about the fact they actually lost a naval battle or two. Then again, the Americans never would have won that war, had the English navy not been exhausted from fighting France for 20 years.

I know Americans are taught that the War of 1812 was against the British but here in Canada it was seen as a war to force the northern colonies into the union, which they successfully resisted. Laura Secord, who walked many miles through the Ontario countryside to warn the local militia of an impending American attack is a national heroine.

There's a saying here about the War of 1812: "The Americans say they beat the British. The Canadians say they beat the Americans. The British say, 'What war?'" :) History is definitely a matter of perspective.

Naomi Rawlings | 77 comments I didn't know Lyn had some pre-Alamo books. :-)

Ausjenny | 3872 comments Jennifer and Naomi, thats why I love Lyn Cote's series where she wrote at before the time of the Alamo.
It would be great to see more and your are so right about California history I dont know very much of that either.

Naomi Rawlings | 77 comments You know, Jennifer, I'm surprised I haven't seen more Mexican/American War and Texas independence type settings for novels. It seems most of those Texas settings are at the end of the 1800s. But there's got to be a lot of other aspects of Texas history to be explored. I'd like to see some of that. As a Yankee, I admit I don't have the first clue about Texas or California history, but they both put up with a lot before they joined the US.

message 104: by Jennifer (last edited May 11, 2012 03:40PM) (new)

Jennifer (Jennafraugh) | 4102 comments I love the Highland settings and when they do Texas History....well, when it's accurate! We have some cool historical stuff in Texas like the battle of the Alamo, The battle of San Jacinto, One of the few states that can secede, had our own president, been our own country, only state to have our state flag fly at the same level as the American flag, have had 6 state flags, owned by three countries, etc....

Jennifer (Jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Naomi wrote: "Wendy wrote: "Naomi wrote: "Interesting. I've read some of Mary Lu Tyndall's War of 1812 stories, but not all. I'm told that the War of 1812 isn't even taught in English schools. Gues..."

As an educator this infuriates me! So not gonna get on my soap box! No child should be told they can't learn something because they are "dumb" ARG!

Naomi Rawlings | 77 comments Glad you liked the unusual setting, Jenny. :-)

Ausjenny | 3872 comments Thanks Naomi. For me I don't believe learning ends with leaving school. I have learnt so much (including the metric system starting at the French revolution). I do the church newsletter and use to type reports. I have some of the older ladies give a notice or report and say excuse my writing etc and then say I didn't have much education. they left school at 14 or something. We had a few in the church who did the same but it was interesting. They blame alot on the lack of education but you dont stop learning when you stop school. Mum left school at 14 also it was the done thing but she didn't use it as an excuse. She was a reader which helped with writing etc. I also know others who went to a place like a community college to improve some skills. 2 Ladies at church who were older mums in there 40's went to swimming lessons so they could swim with there children.

I would have loved to study history and If I could have in the higher grades would have studied both American and Australian history. I was always fascinated with the Civil war. I would love to work where I had to do research into history and get paid for it. Cos I would be learning and working at the same time. That or working with a publishing company to promote Christian books would be my ideal job.

I mentioned I love books that make me google info and Naomi your book did that for me so its up there with my top reads for the year.

Naomi Rawlings | 77 comments That's so sad, Jenny. I'm sorry you didn't have more of an opportunity to study history.

Ausjenny | 3872 comments Naomi wrote: "Wendy wrote: "Naomi wrote: "Interesting. I've read some of Mary Lu Tyndall's War of 1812 stories, but not all. I'm told that the War of 1812 isn't even taught in English schools. Guess the Brits do..."

I never did history in high school, (we got branded the smarter students the not so bright and slow) I was the not so bright. which meant we didn't do things like history, geography, the higher mathes etc. We did do humanities which touches on some areas of history and geography but not alot. In Primary school we learnt more Australian history I could draw a map of South Australia free hand quite well. We did learn some about the WW1 and WW2. Didn't really learn anything about American history. They band the students now. I would have loved to study history. Always was interested.
I have learnt alot about American history from books.

Lyn (LynCote) | 1214 comments I'm going to invite other historical authors to visit this page. So many good ideas!

Naomi Rawlings | 77 comments Wendy wrote: "Yes, we didn't get on too well with France. The Battles of Waterloo & Trafalger are well known as are The Duke of Wellington & Lord Admiral Nelson. Nelson's Column in Tralgar Square is well known &..."

That, my dear Wendy, is a vast understatement. :-)

Wendy Sparkes (WendySparkes) | 202 comments Yes, we didn't get on too well with France. The Battles of Waterloo & Trafalger are well known as are The Duke of Wellington & Lord Admiral Nelson. Nelson's Column in Tralgar Square is well known & visited.

Naomi Rawlings | 77 comments Wendy wrote: "Naomi wrote: "Interesting. I've read some of Mary Lu Tyndall's War of 1812 stories, but not all. I'm told that the War of 1812 isn't even taught in English schools. Guess the Brits don't like think..."

Oh Wendy, too funny about not learning of the War of 1812! I'd heard that from another author who writes British set fiction, but I hadn't verified it until now. :-)

If it's any consolation, the US schools don't go into too much detail about the War of 1812, but we do teach it. I think more than anything, the absence of the War of 1812 in the British schools shows how insignificant a conflict it was to them. Their main enemy was France, and France was a lot closer to them. A few naval battles that took place on the other side of the ocean probably weren't terribly important to most British citizens.

Naomi Rawlings | 77 comments Wendy wrote: "Naomi wrote: "Wow, so many ideas! This is all really interesting. :-) I like the Zorro California idea. Actually, there are a lot of good ideas! Patty talked about finding little known historical d..."

Wow, Wendy! How fun to get to explore all those old smuggler haunts. :-) The novel I'm working on is actually set in France, not England, but deals with the smuggling between Calais and the Dover area, so eastern Kent. I've toyed with doing a second smuggling novel, but I think my publisher would say my second idea (set in England) would be too similar to the first idea set in France.

Wendy Sparkes (WendySparkes) | 202 comments Naomi wrote: "Interesting. I've read some of Mary Lu Tyndall's War of 1812 stories, but not all. I'm told that the War of 1812 isn't even taught in English schools. Guess the Brits don't like thinking about the ..."

You're right, I never learnt about the 1812 War at school. I learnt about WW2 - in particular the Battle of Britain, especially as my town had a lot of children leave as evacuees, so a lot is done on that; A bit about the Spanish Armada; The Crimean War - the army didn't do so well but Florence Nightingale & her reforms for nursing did; & the Boer War - we didn't come off so well in that one either!

Wendy Sparkes (WendySparkes) | 202 comments Naomi wrote: "Wow, so many ideas! This is all really interesting. :-) I like the Zorro California idea. Actually, there are a lot of good ideas! Patty talked about finding little known historical details and wri..."

Oh I think the smuggling in the English Channel idea great. I've read a lot of fiction set there (mostly children's when I was a child) & found it fascinating. Would love to read a Christian story set there. We have lots of caves on our Cornwall/Devonshire coast which were used by the smugglers then.

I did not know that the British Army would have starved if it hadn't been for the NY farmers. Sounds like another great plot for a story.

Naomi Rawlings | 77 comments Interesting. I've read some of Mary Lu Tyndall's War of 1812 stories, but not all. I'm told that the War of 1812 isn't even taught in English schools. Guess the Brits don't like thinking about the fact they actually lost a naval battle or two. Then again, the Americans never would have won that war, had the English navy not been exhausted from fighting France for 20 years.

See how it all ties together?

Ausjenny | 3872 comments Naomi I knew nothing about the war of 1812 till I read Mary Lu Tyndall's books set there. Don't know anything about the war of Mexico.

I learnt that snuff was cocaine or a form of drug and that was one reason England had such a huge hold on the world.

Naomi Rawlings | 77 comments So glad you're enjoying my story, Jenny. :-) For some reason I find myself fascinated by the historical aspect of international relations. Now before everyone falls asleep with that explanation, think about it for a minute. We all know (or all of us US residents know) about the situations that prompted the Revolutionary War and Civil War. What about the War of 1812? The War with Mexico? Were these wars even liked by the majority of the population? You'd find very different opinions of the war of 1812 depending on whether you're looking at NYC or upstate NY.

Or look at England. Colonists were so fed up with unfair tea taxes that they dumped a ship full of tea into the Boston Harbor. Did you know that in England, so much tea was being smuggled in illegally that historians estimate only 25% of tea purchased in London had reach the country legally?

There's lots of interesting stuff when you start looking at how countries dealt with such problems, and a lot of opportunity to stick a hero and heroine in the middle of those messes.

Ausjenny | 3872 comments Naomi I just learnt something didn't know about the smuggling of food into Canada.

It got me thinking the French/english issues In Canada where alot of French Canadians were relocated to Louisiana would be interesting. I know Janette Oke and Davis Bunn wrote a series set there but LIH would be interesting. Canada has a rich history that is also not well known. We tend to know about the Mounties and Prince Edward Island but we dont learn alot of the rest of the country.
I loved Linda Fords books set in the depression in Alberta.

Naomi started your book and loving it.

Naomi Rawlings | 77 comments Wow, so many ideas! This is all really interesting. :-) I like the Zorro California idea. Actually, there are a lot of good ideas! Patty talked about finding little known historical details and writing novels about those. I write that way, too. I like uncovering some otherwise unknown event and running with it.

Right now, I'm looking into smuggling along the English Channel around the turn of the nineteenth century. Should be fun. No, let me rephrase that. It IS fun. I'm also terribly curious about the smuggling through the Great Lakes region and upstate New York during the Revolutionary War and War of 1812. Did you know that the British army in Canada may well have starved without the food that New York farmers smuggled across the river and sold to them?

Ausjenny | 3872 comments I was thinking the Salem witch trial times may be interesting. The only book I have read set in this time was one Gilbert Morris's books from The House of Winslow series. He had the characters arrested and they were released but showing how easy it was to be arrested when they were innocent.

Ausjenny | 3872 comments Cheryl wrote: "Oh, yes! Wasn't Jane Seymour lovely?"

Yes it was a really good film wish I had a copy, That and Hornblower.

Victoria Bylin (VictoriaBylin) | 198 comments Cheryl wrote: "Victoria Bylin wrote: "I just emerged from deep deadline lurk...so glad to be finished and rejoining the real world!

Every once in a while I toy with the idea of doing a book set in China in the..."

I'm always amazed at the diverse backgrounds of romance writers--everything from pilots to nurses to doctors to executives, attorneys, and--maybe most demanding of all--stay-at-home moms!

« previous 1 3
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Warring Spirits (other topics)
Her Inheritance Forever (other topics)
The Desires of Her Heart (other topics)
Her Abundant Joy (other topics)