Read 100+ Books in 2012 discussion

May challenge

Comments (showing 1-40 of 40) (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sheila | 215 comments Mod
Wow, can you believe this year is 1/3 over? Time is moving way too fast. How close are you to your goal for 2012's reading? Here are the themes for May.

1. Read the fifth book in a series or by an author or a book with a 5 in the title.

2. Read a book or author with an M-A-Y in the title or name.

3. In honor of the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness, the Belmont Stakes, and the English Derby (which will all occur within the next 6 weeks) read a book about a horse.

4. To get ready for swimsuit weather in the northern hemisphere or ski season in the southern hemisphere read a book about exercise, healthy eating, or health.

5. Read a book about a person or culture prior to 1800.

6. Read a book that is sci-fi, sci-fi/fantasy, or fantasy.

7. Read a book dealing with murder.

8. Read a book by an author with a hyphenated name.

9. Your choice

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments Once again Sheila terrific choices!

Manda (Manda-Jane) | 118 comments yes really good sheila! I don't usually manage to read them all but its good fun trying!

message 4: by Manda (last edited May 19, 2012 08:09AM) (new)

Manda (Manda-Jane) | 118 comments OK - I've figured out my list for May.

To make it easier i've included four unabridged audio books that are on my ipod - for in the car, when farming, knitting and house work!

The books this month i've made sure are ones that i REALLY want to read! All are on my shelves except one that i shall buy - the historical fiction book.

1. Fifth book author. This is one that is an all time favourite - I read it in 1987 and have been dying to re read for a few years now. Was just lucky when i checked that it is indeed Peter Straub's FIFTH novel! Ghost Story by Peter Straub

2. M A Y An audio book and pretty spooky - my favourite genre! The Distant Hours by Kate Morton (READ _ RUBBISH!)

3. Horse. I thought i'd never have a book about horses on my shelves but I do! The Ghost Rider by Ismail Kadaré (READ _ FAIR)

4. Health and exercise. This was the hardest - then i remembered i have this on my i-pod as audiobook - and that discussed psychological health - The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas

5. Prior to 1800. Really easy and masses of choice as historical fiction is a favourite genre. Have gone for a recent one on my to buy list The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

6. Fantasy. I listened to this half way and then stopped for some unknown reason as i loved it and can't wait for the second installment in a month or so. I also have the book version. The Passage by Justin Cronin

7. Murder. RED RUM! RED RUM" (audio book again!) The Shining by Stephen King

8. Hypenated name. I found one on my shelves that i bought recently. The Emperor of Lies  A Novel by Steve Sem-Sandberg

9. Your choice. I have two. One i have just started reading plus a library book that i ordered for my ravelry 1001 book group choice The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides (READ _ GOOD)

and

10. Surfacing by Margaret Atwood

message 5: by Sheila (last edited May 29, 2012 07:51PM) (new)

Here's my list for May. I hope I read more this month.

6/9, 20 books

1. Read the fifth book in a series or by an author or a book with a 5 in the title--The Diva Haunts the House by Krista Davis--finished 5/16/12.

2. Read a book or author with an M-A-Y in the title or name--My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares--finished 5/22/12.

3. In honor of the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness, the Belmont Stakes, and the English Derby (which will all occur within the next 6 weeks) read a book about a horse--Warhorse by Michael Morpurgo--finished 5/9/12.

4. To get ready for swimsuit weather in the northern hemisphere or ski season in the southern hemisphere read a book about exercise, healthy eating, or health--Death in a Difficult Position by Diana Killian--finished 5/5/12.

5. Read a book about a person or culture prior to 1800--Equal of the Sun by Anita Amirrezvani.

6. Read a book that is sci-fi, sci-fi/fantasy, or fantasy--Elemental Magic.

7. Read a book dealing with murder--The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York by Deborah Blum--finished 5/14/12.

8. Read a book by an author with a hyphenated name--Fear of Falling by Susan Kiernan-Lewis.

9. Your choice--Unforgettable Embrace by Joanne Clancy--finished 5/29/12

Bonus books:
Foxy Roxy--Nancy Martin--finished 5/8/12
Class Reunion--Little Dickins--finished 5/23/12
Einstein: The Lazy Kitty--Renae Rae--finished 5/23/12
The Younger Day--Mike Hays--finished 5/24/12
Wysh, Book 1: The Wysh--L. Shannon--finished 5/24/12
Beauty Touches the Beast--Skye Warren--finished 5/25/12
Beauty Dominates the Beast--Hannah Hale--finished
5/28/12
Blissfully Snowbound--Red Phoenix--finished 5/28/12
Connections--Serena Kitt--finished 5/28/12
Fire--Jolene Kelsey--finished 5/26/12
Hastily Maid--Sara Dunbar--finished 5/28/12
Home Maid--Sara Dunbar--finished 5/28/12
The Librarian Fantasies--Gwendolyn Cummings--finished 5/28/12
Rough Sex in Her Lonely Cabin--Kitty Meaker--finished 5/26/12

Manda (Manda-Jane) | 118 comments Interesting you are reading War Horse Sheila. That was going to be my fall back horse book if there wasn't one on my shelves!

I wanted to see the movie but it was gone before I had the time then I went to the book store and saw it and bought it.

Manda (Manda-Jane) | 118 comments the book is probably better than the movie anyhow!

message 9: by Chuck (last edited May 25, 2012 05:12AM) (new)

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments 1. Read the fifth book in a series or by an author or a book with a 5 in the title.
"The Sixth Man" by David Baldacci.

3. In honor of the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness, the Belmont Stakes, and the English Derby (which will all occur within the next 6 weeks) read a book about a horse.

4. To get ready for swimsuit weather in the northern hemisphere or ski season in the southern hemisphere read a book about exercise, healthy eating, or health.

"Replay" by Ken Grimwood.
"Just After Sunset" by Stephen King

9. Your choice
"Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins (Book 2 of The Hunger Games Trilogy)

"War Trash" by Ha Jin

"Travels with Charley" by John Steinbeck

"My Winter of Discontent" by John STeinbeck

Manda wrote: "the book is probably better than the movie anyhow!"

You're probably right.

message 11: by Chuck (last edited May 05, 2012 10:32AM) (new)

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments Now reading 'Replay' by Ken Grimwood - An all-time favorite story for me. I've read it 3 times and this will be my 4th. "The possibility of traveling back in time to relive one's life has long fascinated science fiction writers. Without a single gesture toward an explanation, this mainstream novel recounts the story of a man and a woman mysteriously given the ability to live their lives over. Each dies in 1988 only to awaken as a teenager in 1963 with adult knowledge and wisdom intact and the ability to make a new set of choices. Different spouses, lovers, children, careers, await them in each go-round of the past 25 years, as well as slightly altered versions of world events. Their deep commitment to one another continues through the centuries of their many lifetimes."

Replay sounds fascinating. Going on my TBR list.

message 13: by Manda (last edited May 06, 2012 02:06AM) (new)

Manda (Manda-Jane) | 118 comments yes it looks good and very goood reviews....

I'm listening to The Distant Hours by Kate Morton
on my i pod. The story is somewhat unbelievable and there are many "no way!" moments that are spoiling it for me - but i will finish!

I'm also almost done reading The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides. Its taken me longer than expected - no chapter breaks, small font and so well written I can't skim read. It takes me back to my college days of the mid 80's. I think its a great read and will be rating it 4 or 5 stars I'm sure - and in spite of the average rating it has overall received on this site. Eugenides has written such acclaimed books - virgin suicides and Middlesex and this is also really well researched and carefully scribed.

Manda wrote: "yes it looks good and very goood reviews....

I'm listening to The Distant Hours by Kate Morton
on my i pod. The story is somewhat unbelievable and there are many "no way!" moments that are spoiling ..."

I'll be interested in your final opinion on The Marriage Plot. I've read Middlesex and liked it but it was different. I just finished Death in a Difficult Position by Diana Killian. For a cozy mystery it was really good. I finished it in one night.

message 15: by Kristy (last edited May 30, 2012 04:24PM) (new)

Kristy | 89 comments 1. Read the fifth book in a series or by an author or a book with a 5 in the title.

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston LeLeroux (I know this doesn't "fit" into this category but 5 of my friends have marked it as "to-read" so it fits for me!)

May Day by Jess Lourey

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

Bad Radio (The Emergent Earth) by Michael Langlois

Death by Facebook by Everett Peacock

Hystera by Leora Skolkin-Smith

9. Your choice

Hippie Boy: A Girls story by Ingrid Ricks
A Perfect Blood By Kim Harrison
Sleeping Beauty Wakes up by Elle Lothlorien
Jackpot! by Jacki Pilossoph

This month, I'm just going to add to here when I'm finished. The weather is getting nicer and things are getting CRAZY. but that being said, I think I'm just shy of being halfway to my goal of 100 books this year.

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments Finished reading this morning "Replay" by Ken Grimwood, 5/5 stars! Now reading "Catching Fire," Book 2 of The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins.

I just finished Warhorse. What a powerful book! It tells about WWI through the viewpoint of a horse, Joey. Joey takes the point that war is more than destroyed buildings and land. There is damage to those not in the fighting. Fantastic but bring your kleenex. No dry eyes here.

Manda (Manda-Jane) | 118 comments warhorse sounds good and i too have the second in the hunger games trilogy to read.....

I'm wading through The Distant Hours by Kate Morton Its a struggle but i won't give up - largely because i bought the audio book and want value for money lol! Its painfully dull - cannot see it got published - thats my view at this stage half way through. hoping that it gets better. its just so unbelievable!

my real book is my horse choice The Ghost Rider by Ismail Kadaré I'll be done with this over the weekend. Its a take on a classic albanian fairy tale and great escapism.

I went from war to poison but both are for the same time period. I'm reading The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Mediceine in Jazz Age New York by Deoborh Blum. It's how discovering murders by poison became a forensic science for the police and coroner's office in New York City. It is fascinating so far. It reads like a novel and begins around 1916. This is for my book club on Wednesday.

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments I'm done! I finished "Catching Fire," Book 2 of The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins.

Now reading "War Trash" by Ha Jin. This is a story of the experiences by Chinese POWs held by Americans during the 1951-1953 Korean conflict. This is our Book Club selection for this month.

Manda (Manda-Jane) | 118 comments both your current reads sound really good...

message 22: by Sheila (last edited May 12, 2012 06:46PM) (new)

War Trash sounds interesting. Let me know how you like it. It's only two months until we have our pick'em party at book club for the books we're going to read next year. I'm always on the outlook for something different and good.

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments Enjoying War Trash so far . . . Easy to follow, not too many characters up to this point. This is my first read about the Korean War.

Manda (Manda-Jane) | 118 comments I'm still wading through the weak The Distant Hours by Kate Morton I have less than 1/3 of the audio book to listen to and its been a L...O...N...G read....

Last night i finished The Ghost Rider by Ismail Kadaré It was ok. Has to be read in the political context of Albania it was written in (late 70's)

I've started The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller its a pretty easy read

Just finished The Poisoner's Handbook. Very interesting. It starts around 1916 and ends in the mid-30's. Each chapter is a different poison and a different year. I think the years determined which poison was talked about based on a trial. It was interesting how the medical examiners helped to convict or free a suspect.

message 26: by Chuck (last edited May 20, 2012 09:02AM) (new)

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments I'm participating in the annual 'Relay for Life' this weekend - Because I'll be walking Saturday and Sunday mornings, why not listen to an audio book. So, I've why not listen to one of my favorite writers, Stephen King, narrating his collection of short storie "Just After Sunset?"

Finished Chapter 1, "Willa."
"A man finds himself in a train station after an apparent wreck with a few of the other passengers. Unable to locate his fiancee, Willa, he decides to set out to a nearby town—where he knows she would go—to find her. The others try to convince him that not only is the train going to arrive any minute to pick them up, going to town is dangerous as the almost three-mile hike goes straight through deserted terrain that is inhabited by dangerous wolves. Ignoring their advice, he heads into town and has a close-encounter with one of the wolves on the way.

Noticing some lights and music at a nearby honky-tonk, he decides to investigate and finds Willa sitting all alone in a corner booth. As he tries to convince her to come back to the station with him, he realizes what they both have known all along . . .

Manda (Manda-Jane) | 118 comments Chuck wrote: "I'm participating in the annual 'Relay for Life' this weekend - Because I'll be walking Saturday and Sunday mornings, why not listen to an audio book. So, I've why not listen to one of my favorite ..."

good luck with that chuck - hope you don't run out of audio power with a long walk - my ipod only lasts max 3 hours i reckon - if that!

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments Manda wrote: "Chuck wrote: "I'm participating in the annual 'Relay for Life' this weekend - Because I'll be walking Saturday and Sunday mornings, why not listen to an audio book. So, I've why not listen to one o..."

Plenty of power - Using the "Playaway" from the library. The Playaway is a preloaded audiobook that uses a single AAA battery. Just plug in your ear phones, press the play button and you're ready to listen to the story.

Good luck on your Relay for Life.

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments Sheila wrote: "Good luck on your Relay for Life."

Thanks Sheila!

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments Finished reading this morning "War Trash" by Ha Jin - Now reading "Travels with Charley" by John Steinbeck.

How did you like War Trash?

Hey, how's everyone getting along on their reading for May? I just finished My Name is Memory. It's different because it's told from the guy's point of view. It is good but I disagree with many of the posted reviews. I did not want it throw it across the room. I only want a sequel.

Manda (Manda-Jane) | 118 comments Sheila wrote: "Hey, how's everyone getting along on their reading for May? I just finished My Name is Memory. It's different because it's told from the guy's point of view. It is good but I disagree with many ..."

i'm listening to the shining which is fantastic and almost done with the song of achilles which i think is not as good as most reviews say.......

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments I just started reading "The Winter of My Discontent" by John Steinbeck - Finished Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley." This was a fun read because much of what he says applies in todays world.

One of my reading goals this year is to read as many John Steinbeck works that I can. Prior to this year I read a total of 0, so I'm trying to make up for lost time.

Good Reading All!

Well, it's official. I am an addict--a book addict!
I just got a Kindle Touch and spent the last 1 1/2 hours downloading a bunch of free books. Some look like really good reads also. I'll keep you updated.

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments Sheila wrote: "Well, it's official. I am an addict--a book addict!
I just got a Kindle Touch and spent the last 1 1/2 hours downloading a bunch of free books. Some look like really good reads also. I'll keep y..."

Yes you are . . . But I'm sure you'll enjoy every minute of your Kindle. Me? I guess I still like the feel and touch of a "real" book!

Oh, I also love the feeling of a book--you should see my house ;) I review for an on-line site and most of the review books are in e-book format and more and more are putting them out as Kindle format only. I have a Sony e-reader, which I love and prefer, but I can't always get a .pdf copy of the review books. Plus every week authors offer up a lot of books free on Amazon and I cannot read a book on a desk top computer or my droid phone--too hard on the eyes and neck.

Chuck Herrera | 149 comments Can you tell this book holding/page turning/old-school book reader what the site is? I'm following 2 book review sites presently. Thanks and enjoy the holiday!

It's Two Lips Reviews. It's mostly romance but we are branching out in our prints category to mysteries, cozy mysteries, and whatever publishers/authors send us.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ghost Story (other topics)
The Distant Hours (other topics)
The Ghost Rider (other topics)
The Slap (other topics)
The Song of Achilles (other topics)
More...