The Next Best Book Club discussion

Angela's Shelf-A-Thon Challenge > Shelf-a-Thon 12 - Same rules, new moderator

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca NJ (last edited Apr 27, 2012 09:50AM) (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 360 comments Object of the Game: To have read off the most shelves from the official list below.

Start: May 1, 2012
*Any book that you finish after this date can be used for this challenge.
End: July 31, 2012

1. To have read a book off a shelf, you must read a book that is found on that particular shelf. i.e. to have read a book off the classics shelf, you must read a book that is found on the "classics" shelf within the first page.

Here is how you find the page:
- Find the book you just read and click on it so you get to the original page. For example: Pride and Prejudice
- After you get to this page, look all the way to the right hand side and scroll down a little to find "See Top Shelves", click on it and you should get to this page which is a list of the most popular shelves for Pride and Prejudice. Now you mark off the shelves you you "touched" from our list of Shelf-a-Thon 12 shelves.

2. A single book may be found on several shelves however we will only count the first page of top shelves for this book. For example, you may find a book that has 148+ pages of shelves (such as Pride and Prejudice), but only count the first page.

3. You don’t have to read off the shelves in any particular order of shelves.

4. The name of shelves must MATCH EXACTLY to the shelf you are trying to count. No deviations are acceptable (check the spelling off the official list below). For example one shelf reads: 2011-books and another 2011-book or childrens or children-s.

5. It is permissible to read a book that is found on a shelf you've already counted. I may read 10 books that include the shelf "books-i-own". After you have found this shelf once, continue to check off the same shelf, but do not count it as an additional shelf. At the end of the round, report the shelf you hit the most.

6. Reporting:
All we want you to report on the thread is the number of books you've read and the number of shelves these books are found on. Do not report titles because that will give your competitors a strategic edge. I will be creating a another thread where people can post questions on where to find a shelf. So if someone is looking specifically for economics, they can ask other players where they found that shelf. Some of us would like to keep this a secret, as it may give the competitors who are trying to get the most shelves more of an advantage.

For example:
52 shelves
2 books

You must track the titles read and the shelves on your own. You can come up with your own method of tracking. I personally print the list and highlight the shelves I have hit, but someone out there may have made a excel spreadsheet, which can be requested by other players via email.

7. HOW DO I GET RID OF SHELVES I CAN'T TOUCH??
If you read a book with a certain amount of pages, you can cross off a shelf you are finding difficult to hit. If you cross off a shelf and later hit it, you cannot change your original shelf. You must choose another shelf to cross off.

* If a book has 400-499 pages - Mark off 1 extra shelf of your choice
* If a book has 500-599 pages - Mark off 2 extra shelves of your choice
* If a book has 600-699 pages - Mark off 3 extra shelves of your choice
* For more than 700 pages - Mark off 4 extra shelves of your choice

Pease include this in your reporting.

For example:
216 shelves
23 books
Book over 400 pages, crossed off so and so shelf.

8. At the end of the first month, the top three shelvers will be allowed to cross off 3 shelves. I will also randomly (names out of a hat) pick 3 people to cross off 2 shelves of their choice. At the end of the second month, the shelvers with the biggest change in their number of shelves will be allowed to cross off 3 shelves. I will also do the 3 random shelvers thing again.

9. We will continue to celebrate GR authors, so if you read a book by a Goodreads author, you can eliminate one shelf. Again, this information should be included in your reporting.

For example:
102 shelves
5 books
Book by a Goodreads author, crossed off so and so shelf.

10. Objective
The "winner" is one who has either read off all 350 shelves noted on the official list or who has read the most off these 350 shelves by the end date, July 31.

*Also, please post the shelf you 'touched' the most at the end of the challenge.

**This is still Angela's challenge, I'm just trying to keep it going until she's ready to take charge again. Adrienne did a great job the last few challenges. I'm hoping things continue to run just as smoothly. ~Rebecca

message 2: by Rebecca NJ (last edited May 06, 2012 02:19PM) (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 360 comments Shelf-a-Thon 12 Shelves (finally!)

2000s
2009-reads
2010-books
2010-read
2010-reads
2011-books
2011-read
2011-reads
2012-books
2012-read
2012-reads
20th-century
21st-century
3-stars
4-stars
5-stars
abandoned
academic
action
action-adventure
adult
adult-fiction
adventure
all-time-favorites
american
and
animals
anthologies
anthology
arc
art
at-library
audible
audio
audiobook
audio-book
audiobooks
audio-books
autobiography
biographies
biography
biography-memoir
book
bookclub
book-club
books
bookshelf
books-i-have
books-i-own
books-i-own-to-read
books-i-want
books-owned
books-read-in-2010
books-read-in-2011
books-to-buy
books-we-own
borrowed
bought
british
business
buy
calibre
chick-lit
childhood
childhood-favorites
children
childrens
children-s
childrens-books
children-s-books
childrens-lit
children-s-literature
christian
christian-fiction
christianity
classic
classics
collection
college
comedy
comic
comics
coming-of-age
contempor​ary
contemporary-fiction
contemporary-romance
cookbooks
cooking
couldn-t-finish
crime
crime-fiction
culture
detective
did-not-finish
didn-t-finish
dnf
do-not-own
don-t-own
drama
dystopia
dystopian
ebook
e-book
ebooks
e-books
ebooks-i-own
economics
education
england
english
epubs
erotica
erotic-romance
essays
europe
family
fantasy
fantasy-sci-fi
faves
favorite
favorite-authors
favorite-books
favorites
favourite
favourites
fiction
finished
first-reads
food
for-review
for-school
free
french
friendship
fun
funny
gave-up-on
gay
general
general-fiction
german
giveaways
graphic-novel
graphic-novels
guilty-pleasures
hardcover
harlequin
have
health
high-school
historical
historical-fiction
historical-romance
history
home
home-library
horror
humor
humour
in
indonesian
in-english
in-my-library
inspirational
i-own
i-own-it
juvenile
keepers
kids
kids-books
kindle
kindle-books
language
library
library-book
library-books
life
lit
literary
literary-fiction
literature
love
magic
manga
maybe
maybe-read
maybe-to-read
memoir
memoirs
middle-grade
might-read
military
mine
mm
m-m
modern
music
must-read
my-books
my-bookshelf
my-ebooks
my-favorites
my-library
mysteries
mystery
mystery-suspense
mystery-thriller
mythology
nature
need-to-buy
need-to-get
never-finished
nonfiction
non-fiction
nook
not-at-library
not-owned
not-read
novel
novels
on-hold
on-kindle
on-my-bookshelf
on-my-shelf
other
own-a-copy
own-ebook
owned
owned-books
owned-not-read
own-it
own-not-read
own-to-read
own-unread
paperback
paranormal
paranormal-romance
partially-read
part-of-a-series
pdf
personal-library
philosophy
photography
picture-book
picture-books
poetry
political
politics
print
psychology
public-library
read-2008
read-2009
read-2010
read-2011
read-2012
read-in-2008
read-in-2009
read-in-2010
read-in-2011
read-in-2012
read-in-english
read-more-than-once
realistic-fiction
recommended
reference
relationships
religion
religious
reread
re-read
research
review
reviewed
romance
school
science
science-fiction
science-fiction-fantasy
scifi
sci-fi
scifi-fantasy
sci-fi-fantasy
self-help
series
sf
short
short-stories
short-story
signed
sociology
speculative-fiction
spiritual
spirituality
sports
stories
supernatural
suspense
tbr
teen
textbooks
theology
thriller
thrillers
to-buy
to-get
to-purchase
to-read-2
to-read-fiction
to-read-own
to-reread
to-re-read
to-review
travel
unfinished
unowned
unread
unsorted
urban-fantasy
vampire
vampires
want
wanted
want-to-buy
want-to-own
want-to-read
war
wishlist
wish-list
women
writing
ya
ya-books
ya-fiction
young
youngadult
young-adult
young-adult-fiction
youth

message 3: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 360 comments Feel free to ask any questions. Good luck everyone!

message 4: by Karen (last edited Apr 28, 2012 11:42PM) (new)

Karen (karen12) | 5 comments This is the 1st time I'm participating in such a challenge. I'm excited!! :D

message 5: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 360 comments Welcome Karen. There will be a separate reporting thread posted shortly.

message 6: by Beks (new)

Beks (bekster15) | 3 comments I just read up on how to do this...and it sounds soooo cool thanks for putting this up!

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen12) | 5 comments Oh alright :)

message 8: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 360 comments To give everyone a quick update. It appears that Goodreads has recently updated the top shelves to only show 150. There has been a thread started in the Goodreads Feedback:

Top Shelves Comments

I encourage you to write to see if we can get them to show more than 150 shelves. I am sure there are other groups that this will affect as well.

message 9: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 99 comments This won't really affect us though, will it? We only use the first page of results anyway, and they'll still be there. Or am I missing something?

Also, thanks Rebecca for taking this on - I never get anywhere near the 350, but I do enjoy playing!

message 10: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 360 comments Gemma, it does affect us because when setting up the initial list, I need at least 350 shelves. In the past, the moderators have pulled out the ones on everyones list (read, currently reading, etc.) and sometimes the names of bookstores. I was personally going to pull out some with all symbols. With that said, as it stands, with Goodreads only showing the 150 top shelves, we only have a starting list of about 140 shelves. Does that make sense?

message 11: by Pinar (new)

Pinar Celebi (pinuccia) Rebecca wrote: "To give everyone a quick update. It appears that Goodreads has recently updated the top shelves to only show 150. There has been a thread started in the Goodreads Feedback:

Top Shelves Comment..."

I just commented in the Top Shelves and I suggest everyone else does the same. I love participating in this challenge although I almost always fall behind :)

message 12: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 360 comments Quick update - they will be recoding to show more shelves but didn't say when. Fingers crossed it will be soon. I am going to wait a few days to see if it gets fixed. Otherwise, I might have to make some modifications to the challenge. Sorry guys!

message 13: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 360 comments Thank you Pinar.

message 14: by Rebecca NJ (last edited May 06, 2012 02:20PM) (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 360 comments We are up and running. Please see post #2 for the top 350 shelves.

Shelf-a-Thon 12 shelves

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen12) | 5 comments When can we cross off the bonus shelves (for reading GR authors, 400+ page books etc.)?

If I read a 400 page book now, do I have to mark off the 1 extra shelf right now or can do it at the end of the month or the end of the challenge?

message 16: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 360 comments Karen, you cross those shelves off as you go. That's where there is a little bit of a challenge because you aim to select a shelf you won't hit and inevitably, you will.

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen12) | 5 comments Thanks for clarifying Rebecca.

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen12) | 5 comments Another question- If I read 5 books by the same Goodreads author, do I get to cross off 5 shelves or just 1?

message 19: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 360 comments Karen, I always treat the books as individuals so if I read 5 different books by the same GR author, that's 5 cross-offs.

message 20: by Think (new)

Think | 332 comments Can u list the new shelves and the ones that were discarded please? I am trying to update the spreadsheet. I kinda slacked off on Challenge 11, so it is time to get my stuff together!

message 21: by Think (new)

Think | 332 comments Oh, I have a question. When I am on my Kindle Fire, it doesn't tell me the true amount of page# in a book. Can I use Goodreads info for my page#s. This is to make sure I can cross off if over 400 pages. Thanks!

message 22: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 360 comments Think wrote: "Can u list the new shelves and the ones that were discarded please? I am trying to update the spreadsheet. I kinda slacked off on Challenge 11, so it is time to get my stuff together!"

Think, you can find the new shelves and the discarded ones in the reporting thread.

message 23: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 360 comments Think wrote: "Oh, I have a question. When I am on my Kindle Fire, it doesn't tell me the true amount of page# in a book. Can I use Goodreads info for my page#s. This is to make sure I can cross off if over 400 p..."

Think, for ebooks I've read, I always look at the popular version of book for the page numbers (the first one that shows up when searching).

message 24: by Think (new)

Think | 332 comments Thanks so much Rebecca!

message 25: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 360 comments Not a problem - glad you are joining us again!

message 26: by Think (new)

Think | 332 comments Hi guys. I updated the spreadsheet to track shelves! Here is the link through Google Docs. Please let me know if it works, thank you.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByGjU...

message 27: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 360 comments Think wrote: "Hi guys. I updated the spreadsheet to track shelves! Here is the link through Google Docs. Please let me know if it works, thank you.

It looks like the document is password protected so I can't get it to open. I am curious to see how Google Docs works for this as I have such little experience with it.

message 28: by Think (new)

Think | 332 comments https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByGj...

Sorry about that. This is the first time I have used Google Docs. lol. I changed it to public instead of private. Hope it works this time!

message 29: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 360 comments Think, that document is great.

message 30: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (CherieReads) | 15 comments Think wrote: "Hi guys. I updated the spreadsheet to track shelves! Here is the link through Google Docs. Please let me know if it works, thank you.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByGjU..."

This doc looks great! However, there's a button that says Update but when I click it I get a macro error. I'm not all that familiar with macros and such so is there something I need to do there?

message 31: by Think (new)

Think | 332 comments Cherie wrote: "Think wrote: "Hi guys. I updated the spreadsheet to track shelves! Here is the link through Google Docs. Please let me know if it works, thank you.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByGjU......"

That has never worked as far as I know. LoL. I originally got this spreadsheet from a member named Dee. I just update the shelves cause I'm lazy. :)

message 32: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (CherieReads) | 15 comments Think wrote: "Cherie wrote: "Think wrote: "Hi guys. I updated the spreadsheet to track shelves! Here is the link through Google Docs. Please let me know if it works, thank you.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B..."

lol! ok. Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something. :)

message 33: by Adele (new)

Adele Symonds (adelesymonds) | 34 comments Will you be starting this challenge again in august as I would like to join in next time.

message 34: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 360 comments Adele, I will be starting it again in August and would love to have you join us. I'll be posting the shelves a few days before the 1st.

message 35: by Adele (new)

Adele Symonds (adelesymonds) | 34 comments Thanks Rebecca

message 36: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments Glad to see this is still going :)!

message 37: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 360 comments Angela, yes it is and for Round 13 we have a pretty good size group!

message 38: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments Now that I am not so busy, I may have to jump back in and play again!!

message 39: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 360 comments As you can see, things haven't changed much. Round 13 started August 1 and goes through October 31. We'd love to have you back and if you want to take the moderating back, let me know.

unread topics | mark unread