The Help The Help discussion

Any Recommendations for Books like the Help?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 190) (190 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

Zkw617 I have just finished reading The Help and I thought it was a fantastic piece of literature. I'm looking for a new book, possibly by the same author. I would like the book to be similar to The Help. Any Suggestions. Thanks =)

Amanda A fantastic series by Mildred D. Taylor called the Logan series is all about racism during the Depression. They are so worth a read. Here's a link to the series http://www.goodreads.com/series/54001...

http://divaliciouzbookreviews.blogspo...

Rita I read The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissomand found it to be similar to The Help. Told in three different POVs, I really enjoyed this one.

Christina I would also recommend the Kitchen House. It is a really good read.

message 5: by Lizzy (last edited Apr 29, 2012 09:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lizzy I am currently reading Bound by Sally Gunning, which portrays a white servant girl in the eighteenth century. I found it due to book club. I feel like it relates to the HELP in a different era as it goes through class, race (although her and her master were white), abuse and the way the higher class views as the right way to treat a servant and then the story from the young girl. Love it so far. I would def recommend it.

KatW Gotta recommend To Kill a Mockingbird, if you've never read it. Also The Invisible Man, by Ralph Ellison.

Glynis Smy The Book of Night Women by Marlon James was a good read. I wrote a review elsewhere, here is the link...http://bookstove.com/historical-ficti...

Once you get into the rhythm of the Jamaican patois language use by the main character, it really adds to the story.

message 8: by JulieLaLa (last edited Apr 30, 2012 01:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

JulieLaLa The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd- takes place in the south, in the 1950s-1960s. Very good book.

Zkw617 Amanda wrote: "A fantastic series by Mildred D. Taylor called the Logan series is all about racism during the Depression. They are so worth a read. Here's a link to the series http://www.goodreads.com/series/5400..."

Thanks! I've actually read Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry. It was a pretty good read.

Rhamel All different kinds of Free
The Kitchen House
The Wedding Gift
The Yellow Crocus

I read all of these after I read the Help. They are all really good.

Franknannie The Secret Life of Bees (excellent)
Dry Grass of August (excellent)
Saving CeeCee Honeycutt (different than The Help, but really good!)

Kathleen Callos The Color of Water. My daughter and I read it for her civil rights lit requirement and we loved it. It the themes are rich and span a wide spectrum of societal issues. It isn't Chick-lit, it's more like rich-lit :)
Taken from summary - The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother is the autobiography of James McBride first published in 1996; it is also a tribute to his mother. The chapters alternate between James McBride's descriptions of his early life and first-person accounts of his mother Ruth's life, mostly taking place before her son was born... his mother narrates the hardships that she had to overcome as a white, Jewish woman who chose to marry a black man in the 1940s.

Trish Bovell The Kitchen House
I also first thought of the Kitchen House

Caroline Anna Bock Mudbound by Hilary Jordan. Terrific read about race in the South. And of course, I have to share my own novel : LIE -- a mature young adult work about the aftermath of a hate crime. Told in 10 first person voices. Inspired by real events. more at www.carolinebock re: LIE. But also check out Mudbound.

Barbarac Kathleen wrote: "The Color of Water. My daughter and I read it for her civil rights lit requirement and we loved it. It the themes are rich and span a wide spectrum of societal issues. It isn't Chick-lit, it's more..."

Yeah, I have to agree that while not exactly the same as The Help, this book was amazing.

Kimberly I second The Yellow Crocus. Very good read!

Debbie I would also recommend The kitchen house

message 18: by Doris' Library (last edited May 06, 2012 07:22PM) (new)

Doris' Library Zkw617 wrote: "I have just finished reading The Help and I thought it was a fantastic piece of literature. I'm looking for a new book, possibly by the same author. I would like the book to be similar to The Help...."

The book Saving CeeCee Honeycutt reminded me a little of The Help. Also The Dry Grass of August

Erika Zkw617 wrote: "I have just finished reading The Help and I thought it was a fantastic piece of literature. I'm looking for a new book, possibly by the same author. I would like the book to be similar to The Help...."

I'm so glad you asked, I appreciate all the recommendations.

Lesley Miller One that has a similar feel is The Secret Life of Bees. I also watched the film version and it made me cry....

Chris To Kill A Mockingbird and The Secret Life of Bees are both excellent books dealing with racism in the South.

Donna Kimberly wrote: "I second The Yellow Crocus. Very good read!"

I found The Yellow Crocus on my Kindle in the free book catagory.
I found it very enjoyable.

Crystal it isn't a lot like the Help but the secret life of bees deals with racism and is a really good book... I have read the help and loved it as well as the secret life of bees. In the Secret life of bees a little white girl who is abused by her father runs away with her black nanny who is in big trouble for pouring snuff juice on a white mans shoes. The white girl Lilly has a plan and they end up in a house full of black woman that change their lifes for ever

Donna Loved Secret life of Bees, I thought the movie was very good also...very true to the story.

Kimmie The author Fannie Flagg has a similar style of writing, like that of Kathryn Stockett. Her books are really good. Thanks for the recommendations.....I just downloaded The Kitchen House.

message 26: by Floy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Floy Kimmie wrote: "The author Fannie Flagg has a similar style of writing, like that of Kathryn Stockett. Her books are really good. Thanks for the recommendations.....I just downloaded The Kitchen House."

Thanks for the author recommendation Kimmie..I have just finished Mudbound, fiction by Hillary Jordan...she writes similar to Kathryn Stockett, as well...each chapter is the name of one of the book characters..

Caroline Anna Bock Mudbound Hilary Jordan - terrific read!

or of course try my novel about race in Long Island, NY: LIE -- and you judge.

Thanks!! Truly, author of LIE.

Amethyst Lizzy wrote: "I am currently reading Bound by Sally Gunning, which portrays a white servant girl in the eighteenth century. I found it due to book club. I feel like it relates to the HELP in a different era as i..."

Lizzy wrote: "I am currently reading Bound by Sally Gunning, which portrays a white servant girl in the eighteenth century. I found it due to book club. I feel like it relates to the HELP in a different era as i..."

I bought this book at Big Lots a year or two ago in the book bin for $3.49. I didn't think I would like it and kept putting it down and skimming other books in the bin but ended up grabbing it and thought well for the price at least it will be another book to add to the *read list*. Boy I ended up not being able to put it down! Bound is a really good read.

Patty The White Tiger

Servant vs master, but in India; really, really poor vs. super super rich with a nice comeuppance ending.

Also, try The Kitchen House. Different era, similar stories, but much more tragic.

message 30: by Floy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Floy I have recently finished Mudbound by Hillary Jordon..a fast read because of the interesting characters...one word of warning to any Christians who might be interested in the book..there is one sentence that sneaks up on you, like it did me...a jaw dropper..the book goes along nice and peaceful, until close to the end...not for the young and impressible..

message 31: by Floy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Floy Also, I might add the KKK plays a big part of Mudbound..need I say more??

message 32: by Floy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Floy Caroline wrote: "Mudbound Hilary Jordan - terrific read!

or of course try my novel about race in Long Island, NY: LIE -- and you judge.

Thanks!! Truly, author of LIE."

I have recently finished Mudbound as well Caroline..thanks for the suggestion..

message 33: by Floy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Floy Kim wrote: "Lizzy wrote: "I am currently reading Bound by Sally Gunning, which portrays a white servant girl in the eighteenth century. I found it due to book club. I feel like it relates to the HELP in a diff..."

I also have
Bound on my list of books..thanks for the recommendations..

Deeann Murphy I second, third, or fourth .... The Secret Life of Bees ... loved it !

message 35: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa The Color Purple by Alice Walker. And I agree with the suggestion for Fannie Flagg!

message 36: by Melissa (last edited May 26, 2012 11:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melissa Petroski The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...

Deeann Murphy Melissa wrote: "The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10..."

I so forgot about this book !! I thought it was a good read - enlightening to say the least !!

message 38: by Floy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Floy Lisa wrote: "The Color Purple by Alice Walker. And I agree with the suggestion for Fannie Flagg!"

The Color Purple...one of my all time favorites..

message 39: by Floy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Floy Deeann wrote: "Melissa wrote: "The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10..."

I so forgot about this book !! I thought it was a good read - en..."

I have the Dry Grass of August..it is on my list for my next read.

message 40: by Rima (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rima Rita wrote: "I read The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissomand found it to be similar to The Help. Told in three different POVs, I really enjoyed this one."

I agree, beautiful book, definitely worth reading!

message 41: by Floy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Floy I'm reading The Kitchen House now..quite a page turner..anyone who reads it, won't be sorry..hard to put down..

Charron Cane River - one of my very favorite books although it is set in a different time period from The Help. I also thought the Dry Grass of August was very good.

Carol Smith A book that I enjoyed while reading it a few years ago was Coming of Age in MIssissippi. I hope it is still available.
I also have written a novel that is partially set in the south during the 60s.

Cyndee Thomas Zkw617 wrote: "I have just finished reading The Help and I thought it was a fantastic piece of literature. I'm looking for a new book, possibly by the same author. I would like the book to be similar to The Help...."

I think you may like Mudbound. It is like the Help in my opinion.

message 46: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz I LOVED The Help last year when I read it and I was so disappointed at the time that nothing else could compare to the interest I had in that book. I'm excited so many people are suggesting The Kitchen House because it's actually up next on my reading list. Hooray! BTW...great idea for a thread.

Deb  Frazier JulieLaLa wrote: "The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd- takes place in the south, in the 1950s-1960s. Very good book."

LOVE LOVE LOVE this book!

Jackie Batchelor Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman was another of my favorites. Set in Savannah during the early 1960's. Enjoyable read.

message 49: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Vare I highly recommend MUDBOUND by Hilary Jordan and LAY THAT TRUMPET IN OUR HANDS by Susan Carol McCarthy

message 50: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I recommend Cane River by Lalita Tademy - great book!

« previous 1 3 4

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Help (other topics)
The Kitchen House (other topics)
The White Tiger (other topics)
The Secret Life of Bees (other topics)
Warriors Don't Cry (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Albert L. French (other topics)
Alex Haley (other topics)