21st Century Literature discussion

Cloud Atlas
This topic is about Cloud Atlas
May 2012 - Cloud Atlas/Mitchell > Cloud Atlas - General Discussion (No Spoilers)

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Will (wjmcomposer) For general discussion of the book as well as resources which might be useful or entertaining, such as info or interviews about the author, but without spoiling anything.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited May 07, 2012 12:30AM) (new)

Hello All,
I'm posting this a bit early. I've got to get my feet wet,starting this thread. I'll start easy and hopefully come up with enough questions to lead a great discussion. Feel free to jump in as you are ready. I've only just begun to read our May pick.

Each thread I open will lead from different stages of the book. So,you can pick and choose appropriate discussions. Remember,no spoilers!

Reader question:

1)What's your experience of reading Cloud Atlas thus far?

Chris Taylor (chrisjtaylor) | 14 comments I've also started getting my feet wet with Cloud Atlas. This is my first read in the group and I'm bad at getting through books at a good pace. I figure if I got started early I have a better chance at not falling behind. Let me suggest NOT Wikipediaian the book. I got to the end of the first section and got curious. I read some things I didn't want to know so early. However, it has peaked my interest in how the book will unfold. On the other hand, I would have preferred to uncover those details by reading the text. Nevertheless, I think we're in for a treat!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Chris,
Thanks for joining us!

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 29, 2012 07:37PM) (new)

I just realized I sort of did the opposite of you. I made a point to not even read the book cover! I was going into this book completely unaware. I didn't want to form early opinions.
That said, I put my thinking cap on to learn early English language as well as scientific ,religious and nautical terms. This most certainly isn't light reading for me.

Candiss (Tantara) I'll be starting this one some time next week. I've been wanting to read it for years! I've had it here at home since, oh, 2009-ish and have never cracked it, for some inexplicable reason.

As I never got to The Cave in April, this will also be my first read with the group.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome,Candiss!

Ashley Mastandrea (ashmastandrea) | 4 comments This is also my first time participating in a reading group here. Just finished up the first section...a challenging, intriguing read so far!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome, Ashley!

Chris Taylor (chrisjtaylor) | 14 comments It is challenging in the first section. The second section's a little less so. The change in narration was welcome. :)

Quite a bit more chatter for "The Marriage Plot" compared to this text. Hope others managed to jump on "Cloud Atlas" today.

Silver | 83 comments I have just begun reading the book and I am quite intrigued by it thus far. I do rather enjoy the writing of it, I quite like the journal style, though I have to say there is something about the use of the & symbol that I find distracting in the reading.

It also has thus far left me feeling rather disoriented. I cannot place exactly when or where this story is supposed to be taking place, though I can formulate some approximations based on things said. I was rather on the fence about whether or not I wanted to read some background information on the book to give me more of an idea of what is happening and orient myself in the story, or if I just wanted to try and figure it out as I went along. I am curious to see just where things are going and what will happen next.

message 12: by Chris (last edited May 02, 2012 04:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris Taylor (chrisjtaylor) | 14 comments Silver wrote: "I have just begun reading the book and I am quite intrigued by it thus far. I do rather enjoy the writing of it, I quite like the journal style, though I have to say there is something about the us..."

I had the same sense, Silver. I wanted to know more about the book, especially after the way the first section ends. As I've already said, it's probably best to avoid looking around. I found out too much. A little more is revealed about the narrative structure near the middle of the second section. Wait for it. Stay away from Wikipedia. :)

Could the mods setup forums from the various sections of the book? It'd be nice to talk freely about the sections without worrying about spoiling it for others.

Silver | 83 comments Chris wrote: "Silver wrote: "I have just begun reading the book and I am quite intrigued by it thus far. I do rather enjoy the writing of it, I quite like the journal style, though I have to say there is somethi..."

I ended up just reading what was on the book cover, which really did not give out too much about the book, as it was mostly just quotes from reviews of the book. But it did help me get a sense. And as I have progressed reading further I know at least have both a better frame of reference in regards to time and location.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everyone,
I'm not sure how far along people are in Cloud Atlas. We all read at various paces. With that in mind, I will open another thread for people to feel free to share,including "spoilers". Perhaps several threads are needed. I'll get on that. Will promised to help if I need that. Thanks for reading.

message 15: by Will (last edited May 02, 2012 09:01PM) (new) - added it

Will (_Will) | 4 comments Hi, I'm Will :).
I started reading Cloud Atlas and it is my first book for this group. I am really enjoying it too :). Also, I'm glad I am not the only person who found the first part to be a bit challenging, lol.

Will (wjmcomposer) lol, I think she meant this Will, but glad you're enjoying the group read.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Will wrote: "Hi, I'm Will :).
I started reading Cloud Atlas and it is my first book for this group. I am really enjoying it too :). Also, I'm glad I am not the only person who found the first part to be a bit c..."

The initiation for me was challenging. I like that. Still,as I've gone further into the book there were times when I'd need a breather to digest and even understand what I'd just read.

Annelise Starting this book was a challenge, but after finally finishing the first chapter I can't wait to learn more. If the book is anything like the first chapter than it is going to a very interesting read.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Annelise wrote: "Starting this book was a challenge, but after finally finishing the first chapter I can't wait to learn more. If the book is anything like the first chapter than it is going to a very interesting r..."

@Annelise,
It's been about a week since you read the first chapter of Cloud Atlas. How are you liking it now?

Carl | 262 comments I made it about 20% through this one and I gave up because there are too many good books I need to be reading.

One of my literary heroes said that good fiction is about what it is like to try to live.

The writer has great talent but I didn't find any of the material engaging. The book didn't speak to me, but I know I'm in a minority on this opinion.

message 21: by Sophia, Honorary Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sophia | 1322 comments Mod
Not at all. I finished it, but felt cheated, come the end. A great idea, but...

Ashley Mastandrea (ashmastandrea) | 4 comments I was not into this book at all until about 3/4 of the way through and now I can't stop thinking about it. So glad I came across this group and picked it up! Hope to share more and read the rest of the threads after it simmers in my head a bit more!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Ashley wrote: "I was not into this book at all until about 3/4 of the way through and now I can't stop thinking about it. So glad I came across this group and picked it up! Hope to share more and read the rest of..."

Thanks for chiming in,Ashley.

Will (wjmcomposer) While we've moved onto another book for June 2012, I hope that as usual, people will continue to discuss the book. I just wanted to congratulate and thank Diana for leading the discussion, you did a great job! I hope that if another book pops up you'd feel like leading you'd consider doing it!

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 84 comments Thank you Diana-this has been one of the more interesting discussions I've followed!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Will wrote: "While we've moved onto another book for June 2012, I hope that as usual, people will continue to discuss the book. I just wanted to congratulate and thank Diana for leading the discussion, you did ..."

Thank You,Will.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Ellie wrote: "Thank you Diana-this has been one of the more interesting discussions I've followed!"

Thank You,Ellie.

message 28: by Sophia, Honorary Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sophia | 1322 comments Mod
Yes, CONGRATULATIONS!

unread topics | mark unread