The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2) The Great Hunt question

Next series to read need advice
Ray Boshell Ray Apr 26, 2012 04:26PM
I just finished reading Wheel of time series straight thru today. I have not read the latest Nicholas Flamel book or The last Eragon book or any of the Game of Thrones. I need advice on which to read. Either reread Nicholas Flamels series, Eragon Series or read Game Thrones series. Any Advice???

I would recommend The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. It's better than A Song of Ice and Fire, although not as epic in scope.

If you have not, do try Way of kings and Mistborn. (Brandon Sanderson) There is a reason he was chosen to finish the series.

You might try Tiagana (Guy Gavriel Kay) His books tend to be slower paced but so are some of the WOT ones and this one in particular I think is one of his better novels.

If you want something much less in depth and fluffier. You could try the sharing knife books (Lois McMaster Bujold) I think females will probably like them more as there is a romantic plot that goes with the story, but the books have strong characters, magic plays a key roll, and shit happens to them, the characters, and they try and get out of it.

Anything by Robin Hobb

I think Game of Thrones is over rated - the point of view changes too much to get emotionally invested in the story. There are great parts but it is disjointed. Much preferred WOT - It gets drawn out in the middle but at least you know who the main protagonist are. I would recommend Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy - It stands up better to WOT quality world building and characters.

I picked up Game of Thrones after finishing book 9 of WoT and was like "Robert who?" I went on a kick of other fantasy novels to see if there was anything that compared. I enjoyed Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself and Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn, but nothing comes close to GRRM.

I always finish a series if possible so I can put it to rest. Then Game of Thrones.

Have you read anything else by Brandon Sanderson? Way of Kings is phenomenal!

Glynda (last edited May 05, 2012 03:36PM ) May 05, 2012 03:33PM   0 votes
Ray wrote: "I just finished reading Wheel of time series straight thru today. I have not read the latest Nicholas Flamel book or The last Eragon book or any of the Game of Thrones. I need advice on which to ..."

Sword of Truth series has many similarities with the Wheel of Time so you'd be virtually guaranteed to like it. I personally prefer the Game of Thrones series to both of them, but they're all well worth reading.

The last Flamel book came out this week. I personally never got past page 80 in the first Martin book. SoT is much, much more graphic than WoT. Since Flamel is YA, you might like Fablehaven. People have already stated Sanderson, and anything he writes is gold. I recently discovered Mazalan, and that is really great. Riyria Revelations are great. Chima's Seven Realms series is great and YA. River Kings' Road is a nice little between epic read. It has two books that I know of, but I probably won't read the second. Any Eddings fantasy is good, but the Dreamers gets really, really repetitive in the plot. Dresden Files books are really good, but the language can be coarse. Steven Lawhead's Song of Albion trilogies is one of my favorites, and his Dragon King trilogy is slightly less well written. It would be like going from an A to a B. The Black Prism is really, really, really intriguing and well-written. The last Eragon is good, but the ending leaves much to desire. So much so that I will never start another of his series until he has finished ALL of the books. Rothfuss's King Killer Chronicles are top 5 in my favorites list. Eddings and Sanderson take most of the top spots or he would be higher. All of the Percy Jackson books are very good and quick inter-epic reads, but I won't touch his Egyptian one again after the first book. Tolkiens LOTR is very overhyped to me, but it is a must read for any true fan of fantasy. The original Dune book is good. I read the summaries of the rest, and that has me thinking I will never read any of those. If you really want to go old school fantasy, try Dante's Divine Comedy. Most people think it is only religious, but it is a great read with a good translation and it can be VERY bloody at times. There is truly a reason it has lasted 500 years. Canterbury Tales are really, really old, but unbelievably good. EJ Patten has a very good YA book in Return to Exile, and the second book is listed for late 2012 publishing. Unless he take a major dive, he is one I will read anything that comes out. I am sure there are others that I am forgetting. Check out my booklist on here. any of the 3-5 star ratings should be good.

Shannon (last edited Jan 30, 2013 01:02PM ) Jan 30, 2013 01:00PM   0 votes
Ray wrote: "I just finished reading Wheel of time series straight thru today. I have not read the latest Nicholas Flamel book or The last Eragon book or any of the Game of Thrones. I need advice on which to ..."

I started reading WoT BECAUSE I wanted a series to satisfy me until the next A Song of Ice and Fire (or 'a game of thrones')book comes out. I have read the entire series twice now and it never gets old. The PoV does switch around a lot, but it is to our advantage. You get used to it quickly and it only adds to the story. It gives us the chance to see all of the different webs being woven. My FAVORITE thing about the series is that it is NOT very good vs. evil. It is all very 'grey'. I wouldn't have it any other way. There are some characters that you can definitely characterize as one or the other, but they are few and far between.

Love it. Favorite series. Hands down.

I have just finished The Great Hunt, and will be starting The Dragon Reborn sometime this week most likely.

Stephen King's 'The Dark Tower' series!

Spaghetti western science fiction/fantasy in a post apocalyptic world.:D

I second the recommendation to start Game of Thrones but if you like the last couple of WoT books why not check out some of Sanderson's novels? I've heard good things about the Mistborn trilogy.

Other than that my other fantasy recommendation would be the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. If you dig books about assassins that one would be right up your alley.

Out of the choices you have, Game of Thrones, easily. The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson, or the Black Company stuff by Glenn Cook are both quite good series, if you like more gritty, military-oriented stories. Like Erikson describes Cook's books, "like Vietnam war fiction on peyote".

Game of Thrones, easily. If you liked WoT, I'd also recommend Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy. If you ever read sci-fi, Orson Scott Card's Ender series is excellent as well

Don't start A Song Of Ice And Fire just yet. I know a lot of people are hyping it as a great series, but it's nowhere near finished and Martin seems to be dragging his feet between volumes.

I'll second Will's recommendation of Abercrombie's First Law trilogy, the recommendations of Goodkind's Sword Of Truth series and Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, and add my own recommendation of L. E. Modesitt's Imager Portfolio.

Dale Pearl all of those are great. If you are wanting something light to digest and a never ending book series try Xanth by Piers Anthony. I only made it through ...more
Apr 16, 2014 06:01PM
Bill Golden Xanth is getting kind of creepy, according to some of my friends. Anthony seems to have turned into a pervert as time has gone on. After 7 solid books ...more
Apr 17, 2014 08:57AM

Game of Thrones! It is amazing. Just reading through WoT myself :-)

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Great Hunt (other topics)
Imager (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Joe Abercrombie (other topics)