Q&A with Josh Lanyon discussion

What We're Watching > What We're Watching

Comments (showing 301-350 of 3,914) (3914 new)    post a comment »

message 301: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13831 comments Johanna wrote: "Aleksandr wrote: "I can't deal with horror. My Muse is too good at keeping those images in my head."

Talking about Muse (not yours though, but the band)... I just got the tickets to Muse's Europea..."

Oh wow! How cool.

message 302: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13831 comments Angela wrote: "Kari wrote: "I ended up watching Primal Fear again last night. Hadn't seen it in so long, it was like watching it again for the first time except I knew & could gleefully anticipate the ending. You..."

Well, the thing about Vacancy is that when I stopped to think about it, it was surprisingly bloodless.

By which I mean it was NOT a slasher film. I watched the Making Of special feature and the director and writers and everyone else kept using the word elegant, and I think that's correct. It was surprisingly spare and even elegant in its approach to the genre.

Anyway, I'm going to watch it again and see if it holds up to a second viewing now that I know how it all ends up.

message 303: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13831 comments Anne wrote: "They are showing Zen on Norwegian TV this season. Very enjoyable, and I love the pictures from Rome."

I am so hopeful that they will find a new home for the series because it was wonderful -- really fresh, smart and so luscious. I could smell the pasta, feel the heat, and visually it was gorgeous.

message 304: by Kari (new)

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 1862 comments Josh wrote: "Well, the thing about Vacancy is that when I stopped to think about it, it was surprisingly bloodless.

By which I mean it was NOT a slasher film. I watched the Making Of special feature and the director and writers and everyone else kept using the word elegant, and I think that's correct. It was surprisingly spare and even elegant in its approach to the genre.

Anyway, I'm going to watch it again and see if it holds up to a second viewing now that I know how it all ends up."

It'll hold. :-)

Primal Fear isn't a slasher movie, either. Hell, it's not even horror, even though it certainly scared the bejesus out of me, LOL. It isn't gore or violence that draws me to horror (and movies like Primal Fear), though. I deal with it, because gore & violence are such an easy out in the genre, but that's now what brings me to the horror table. I just like being scared and it's the stories that messes with my head that I enjoy most.

message 305: by K.Z. (last edited Jun 16, 2012 10:21AM) (new)

K.Z. Snow (KZSnow) | 1660 comments Nonstop violence and gore are easy outs in horror fic and films. I've always been more disgusted than frightened by that kind of action, which is a total turnoff for me (and one of the reasons I gave up on Stephen King, years ago).

One of the scariest movies I've ever seen is The Ring. Clever premise, executed in a way that's creepy as all get-out. Now that's horror! :)

message 306: by Anne (new)

Anne | 3723 comments Josh wrote: "Anne wrote: "They are showing Zen on Norwegian TV this season. Very enjoyable, and I love the pictures from Rome."

I am so hopeful that they will find a new home for the series because it was wond..."

And I would love to stay in one of those big apartments with tall ceilings and old-fashioned balconies with terracotta tiles and flowerpots, with a view of the eternal city :)

message 307: by Kari (new)

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 1862 comments K.Z. wrote: "Nonstop violence and gore are easy outs in horror fic and films. I've always been more disgusted than frightened by that kind of action, which is a total turnoff for me (and one of the reasons I ga..."

It took me a good three years to work up the nerve to look at (view spoiler) without covering my eyes, LOL.

Antonella | 4300 comments Kari wrote: "The news scares me way more than any movie ever has."

I absolutely agree with you. Sometimes I have a problem to believe that some events really happened in the same world I'm living.

I work sporadically in my town as an interpreter for police and in court: I like it because often it gives me a glimpse of other worlds, totally different from mine, even though so very near.

message 309: by K.Z. (last edited Jun 17, 2012 05:42AM) (new)

K.Z. Snow (KZSnow) | 1660 comments Kari wrote: "It took me a good three years to work up the nerve to look at (view spoiler) without covering my eyes, LOL."

Freaked. Me. Out. But at the same time, I was thinking, Cool! :)

The Blair Witch Project still gives me the heebie-jeebies too.

message 310: by Kari (new)

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 1862 comments K.Z. wrote: "The Blair Witch Project still gives me the heebie-jeebies too. "

While I can love that one as a fictional product, I don't love fans of the movie traipsing through dh's family cemetery and generally making a nuisance of themselves. Burkittsville is a quiet, sleepy little place. No stoplight. Just a loose collection of historic buildings surrounded by acre after acre of corn and wheat. The people are very private. Quite the rude slap when a tour bus pulls in. It really pisses me off when people think the story is even remotely true too. There's one hill in and around Burkittsville. One. Gathland park. If you're stupid enough to get lost on that one hill, IMO, you deserve what you get.

message 311: by K.Z. (new)

K.Z. Snow (KZSnow) | 1660 comments Yikes, Kari, no kidding? I didn't think Burkittsville was a real place. That was a stupid decision on the filmmakers' part. Any piece of fiction set in a small town should be set in a made-up small town, IMO.

message 312: by Kari (new)

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 1862 comments K.Z. wrote: "Yikes, Kari, no kidding? I didn't think Burkittsville was a real place. That was a stupid decision on the filmmakers' part. Any piece of fiction set in a small town should be set in a made-up small..."

The hook of the film was to create the modern legend and to do that, they needed to make it seem as real as possible. So yeah, Burkittsville is real. It just doesn't much resemble the Burkittsville portrayed in the movie. There is no convenience store, no trailer (park or otherwise -- it's a historic town), no Coffin Rock or grisly murders, no hills & woods to get lost in.

Cemetery's real enough. Dh's family is buried there and in the oldest section too, since they've been in Burkittsville forever. The police barricaded it off for the first year solid to try to keep a lid on the vandalism, but that's gone by the wayside. The tours aren't so bad, just intrusive. It's the kids that make trouble. Had to change the town sign because they kept stealing the damn thing.

message 313: by Kari (new)

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 1862 comments Grave Encounters is a pretty decent found footage movie, btw. Nothing ground-breaking, but parts of it score a high freakiness factor. Available for instant streaming on Netflix.

message 314: by Ami (last edited Jun 19, 2012 08:05PM) (new)

Ami (amie_07) | 77 comments Yesterday, I finally got the chance to watch Andrew Haigh's Weekend. This movie has been on my to-watch list when it comes to gay-themed movie since it received quite glowing reviews from New York Times, Guardian, and Independent.

Well, hell, the movie is so beautiful in its low-key, I end up with tears when it ends. If none of you have seen this, PLEASE do so. It's really lovely and touching. Definitely one of the better gay-themed movies I have watched for the past few years.

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Ami wrote: "Yesterday, I finally got the chance to watch Andrew Haigh's Weekend. This movie has been on my to-watch list when it comes to gay-themed movie since it received quite glowing reviews from New York ..."

Where do you watch the movie? Is it on DVD or cinema?

message 316: by Ami (new)

Ami (amie_07) | 77 comments Cleon wrote: "Where do you watch the movie? Is it on DVD or cinema?"

Not cinema, that's for sure. You know how it is with our country. I downloaded the movie actually. One of the few ways to get LGBT movies in Indonesia.

Johanna | 7608 comments Ami wrote: "Yesterday, I finally got the chance to watch Andrew Haigh's Weekend. This movie has been on my to-watch list when it comes to gay-themed movie since it received quite glowing reviews from New York ..."

Thank you for the recommendation, Ami. I haven't heard about Weekend, but I'll make sure I'll watch it as soon as possible! :)

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Ami wrote: "Cleon wrote: "Where do you watch the movie? Is it on DVD or cinema?"

Not cinema, that's for sure. You know how it is with our country. I downloaded the movie actually. One of the few ways to get L..."

I thought maybe once in blue moon... LOL.

Ugh.. Download. With my internet speed, it'll take years. I'll try to find the DVD this Saturday. Thanks for the rec though!

message 319: by Anne (new)

Anne | 3723 comments Ami wrote: "Yesterday, I finally got the chance to watch Andrew Haigh's Weekend. This movie has been on my to-watch list when it comes to gay-themed movie since it received quite glowing reviews from New York ..."

That's been on my to watch list since it got very good reviews in the papers here. I probably won't manage to see it at the cimema since I am leaving for Turkey today, but will definitely buy the DVD. It is good to hear it is just as good as the hype says. :)

Johanna | 7608 comments Anne wrote: "Ami wrote: "Yesterday, I finally got the chance to watch Andrew Haigh's Weekend. This movie has been on my to-watch list when it comes to gay-themed movie since it received quite glowing reviews fr..."

Have a nice, relaxing vacation in sunny Turkey, Anne!

Emanuela ~plastic duck~ (manutwo) | 1849 comments I'm watching the Euro soccer championship. The revenge of the countries in economic default, Spain, Greece and Italy :D

message 322: by Ami (new)

Ami (amie_07) | 77 comments Emanuela ~plastic duck~ wrote: "I'm watching the Euro soccer championship. The revenge of the countries in economic default, Spain, Greece and Italy :D"

I was surprised with Greece going through!!! They didn't have a good first opening game, right? Spain and Italy though, well, they're predicted to go through so no surprise there.

Aleksandr Voinov (Vashtan) | 1008 comments Considering the euro-crisis, Germany vs Greece should be "fun".

message 324: by Ami (new)

Ami (amie_07) | 77 comments Aleksandr wrote: "Considering the euro-crisis, Germany vs Greece should be "fun"."

And Greece could made a shocking winning, just like they did in 2004 :)

message 325: by Ami (new)

Ami (amie_07) | 77 comments Cleon wrote: "Ugh.. Download. With my internet speed, it'll take years. I'll try to find the DVD this Saturday. Thanks for the rec though..."

Email or PM me if you cannot find the movie, Cleon.

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Ami wrote: "Cleon wrote: "Ugh.. Download. With my internet speed, it'll take years. I'll try to find the DVD this Saturday. Thanks for the rec though..."

Email or PM me if you cannot find the movie, Cleon."

Sure will. Thanks, Ami!

Emanuela ~plastic duck~ (manutwo) | 1849 comments Ami wrote: "Spain and Italy though, well, they're predicted to go through so no surprise there."

Italy is usually well predicted, but it's a team that won't win unless Fate cooks a strange alchemy.

Ami wrote: "Aleksandr wrote: "Considering the euro-crisis, Germany vs Greece should be "fun"."

And Greece could made a shocking winning, just like they did in 2004 :)"

Sorry, dear Germans, but go Greece! If someone painted the ball with Angela Merkel's face, Greece would win for sure ;D

message 328: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13831 comments K.Z. wrote: "One of the scariest movies I've ever seen is The Ring. Clever premise, executed in a way that's creepy as all get-out. Now that's horror! :)
..."

This was the first "scary" movie the SO and I saw together. There was something genuinely unnerving about it.

message 329: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13831 comments Ami wrote: "Yesterday, I finally got the chance to watch Andrew Haigh's Weekend. This movie has been on my to-watch list when it comes to gay-themed movie since it received quite glowing reviews from New York ..."

I agree. One of the best. Very poignant. A film that lingers.

message 330: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13831 comments K.Z. wrote: "The Blair Witch Project still gives me the heebie-jeebies too.
..."

That was another one. So effective -- because of what it DIDN'T show.

message 331: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13831 comments We saw Prometheus yesterday. I wish I'd seen Alien again before we went, but I did enjoy it very much. I always wondered -- wished -- to know the story behind the crashed alien spacecraft, so it's intriguing to have this more complex version than the first and obvious scenario that occurs.

I think I need to see it again because a few things didn't quite make sense to me. And the characterizations seemed less adept than in Alien.

Has anyone seen it yet?

Johanna | 7608 comments

If hubby counts as anyone, I remember him grumbling something about the first half of the movie being very promising, but the second half being slightly disappointing. I recall him also saying that in his opinion the 3D was a bit unnecessary, feeling like some of the scenes were there only because of the 3D.

I think he said that there were an android character that he liked and found interesting (I can't remember the name of that character, though). I had the impression that the guys he went to see the movie with were even more disappointed, but I think I never heard why was that exactly.

message 333: by Lou (new)

Lou Harper | 1468 comments I haven't even turned on the TV since Sunday (HBO night). I need to go to the movies though and watch Prometheus.

message 334: by Kari (new)

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 1862 comments Josh wrote: "We saw Prometheus yesterday. I wish I'd seen Alien again before we went, but I did enjoy it very much. I always wondered -- wished -- to know the story behind the crashed alien spacecraft, so it's ..."

I'm intrigued, but after the disasters of the last couple flicks in the Alien franchise, I'm not so quick to rush to the theater to buy tickets, either. This one looked like a wait-for-DVD movie for me. May have to give it another glance, though. I LOVE the first 2 Alien movies, but the ones since have left much to be desired, IMO.

message 335: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13831 comments Johanna wrote: "

If hubby counts as anyone, I remember him grumbling something about the first half of the movie being very promising, but the second half being slightly disappointing. I recall him also saying th..."

This one is clearly stamped SEQUELS AHEAD in a way the original Alien film was not, so I'm thinking that some things will be explained in the future.

For me the problem was one of characterization. The characters weren't razor sharp in the way they were in the original film (which really does stand as a classic) and there were little inconsistencies, little silly fudges that undermined a really strong premise.

The second half doesn't quite live up to the first. Then again, compared to Alien 3 - 17 (or however many they made), it's pure genius.

message 336: by Lou (new)

Lou Harper | 1468 comments I will have to see this, if for nothing else the giant alien skeleton.

I've been thinking of Ripley lately, in connection to wondering why het romance doesn't float my boat. It came down to this: the kind of female protagonists I most like to identify with wear big, ass-kicking boots, and they don't easily lend themselves to romance. Ripley's most meaningful relationship was with an acid-blooded alien.

message 337: by Ami (new)

Ami (amie_07) | 77 comments Well, I watched Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter yesterday (it opened in Indonesia on June 20th). I haven't read the novel yet, so I enjoyed the movie, since I had no expectation what-so-ever. Pretty much Timur's style (he was the director in Wanted), with slow-mo and bloody stuffs. But I liked it :)

Reggie | 975 comments Just finished watching Sherlock Holmes:Game of Shadows.
Great film- Hi-Larious!! Some classic lines to LOL. I love watching at home so we can laugh and clap. Great fun!

Charming (charming_euphemism) Emanuela ~plastic duck~ wrote: "Sorry, dear Germans, but go Greece! If someone painted the ball with Angela Merkel's face, Greece would win for sure ;D "

Yeah, this!

Aleksandr Voinov (Vashtan) | 1008 comments Well, we'll see what happens tonight. Should definitely be an interesting game.

message 341: by L.C. (last edited Jun 22, 2012 11:44AM) (new)

L.C. (LC_Chase) | 388 comments Lou wrote: "I've been thinking of Ripley lately, in connection to wondering why het romance doesn't float my boat. It came down to this: the kind of female protagonists I most like to identify with wear big, ass-kicking boots, and they don't easily lend themselves to romance. Ripley's most meaningful relationship was with an acid-blooded alien..."

Yes! That totally! :-)

Along with Ripley, I'm also a fan of Resident Evil's Alice, Underworld's Selene...and Erin Brockovich. :-)

Calathea | 2885 comments Aleksandr wrote: "Well, we'll see what happens tonight. Should definitely be an interesting game."

Oh, yes! I'm so excited! :-D
I won' t go into town tonight to watch the game on the big screen, but it will be fun when all the neighbours have their windows open and you can hear them cheer at the same time... :-)

message 343: by Kari (new)

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 1862 comments L.C. wrote: "Lou wrote: "I've been thinking of Ripley lately, in connection to wondering why het romance doesn't float my boat. It came down to this: the kind of female protagonists I most like to identify with..."

Have you seen the trailer for Resident Evil: Retribution? OMG. I can't wait for September. Any of y'all want to rob my house, mark your calendars: Spetember 14th. I'll be at the theater. LOL

message 344: by Lou (new)

Lou Harper | 1468 comments No sorry, not traveling to the boonies just to rob your house. You probably don't have good stuff anyway. :P

I usually watch movies made of computer games on TV. Although, I did see Tombraider in the theaters. It was a bit disappointing. When I play video games, and have the choice I pick female characters more often than not.

message 345: by L.C. (new)

L.C. (LC_Chase) | 388 comments Kari wrote: "Have you seen the trailer for Resident Evil: Retribution? OMG. I can't wait for September. Any of y'all want to rob my house, mark your calendars: Spetember 14th. I'll be at the theater. LOL ..."

I had to go watch the trailer. It kicks! Except for the 3D bit. I'll totally skip that option. ;-)

Brave looks like fun too - that is one fiery little redhead. I've heard good things about it so I may actually go to the movies this weekend.

message 346: by Ami (new)

Ami (amie_07) | 77 comments I had some free time for the past couple of days and yesterday I watched BRAVE as it opened in my country.

I think this is the first time (that I can think of) that Disney/Pixar is focusing on mother-daughter relationship instead of father-son. Usually, in Disney/Pixar's movies, the mother is present only as secondary characters or they turn out to be the Evil one. So I liked it :)

Oh, and the director is a woman too!

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Ami wrote: "I had some free time for the past couple of days and yesterday I watched BRAVE as it opened in my country.

I think this is the first time (that I can think of) that Disney/Pixar is focusing on mot..."

Thanks for the rec, Ami! I'll definitely watch it & perhaps buy the DVD. It'll be a good movie to show to class too! :)

message 348: by Vivian (last edited Jun 24, 2012 10:23AM) (new)

Vivian (viv001) | 614 comments Yesterday I watched Longhorns on Netflix. It was cute and silly and I got to see tons of male nudity (I don't remember having seen as many penises in a non porn flick ever).
ETA: I got the hubbie to watch it with me. He only complained four or five times. That's such an improvement from before.

message 349: by Lou (new)

Lou Harper | 1468 comments Vivian wrote: "Yesterday I watched Longhorns on Netflix. It was cute and silly and I got to see tons of male nudity (I don't remember having seen as many penises in a non porn flick ever).
ETA: I got the hubbie..."

For a happy moment I thought Victor J. Banis'

Longhorns was made into a movie. :(

message 350: by Lou (new)

Lou Harper | 1468 comments I went to see Prometheus, and I'm underwhelmed. It's pretty formulaic, and doesn't have the extra oomph to make it work. To me, anyway. It also has holes in the logic big enough to fly a spaceship through.