Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Asking to Re-post

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mel (last edited Apr 24, 2012 08:22PM) (new)

Mel (Soireb) | 233 comments Hello Everyone,

I'm a librarian, one of the authors that I have helped recently contacted me asking me if it would be against Goodreads Policy to ask the winner of his giveaway to re-post her review on Amazon.com. His book has no reviews on Amazon yet and he liked her review so much that he would like for it to be on Amazon; however he is uncertain if this will be in violation of any Terms of Services or if it will be anti-ethical, or just tacky (his words, not mine).

Basically he would like to know if its ok for him to ask or not. Personally I have no idea how to answer him. I searched for information on the matter but couldn't find any (if its there, I'm sorry, I really couldn't find it).

Experiment BL626 | 423 comments It's up to the reviewer to decide. GR doesn't own anyone's review (it better not...).

message 3: by Mel (new)

Mel (Soireb) | 233 comments bumping it

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1969 comments i don't know if its against policy or not, but personally, I am not a fan of authors in general contacting me about reviews (and it does turn some people off)

message 5: by Kara, Director, Customer Care (new)

Kara | 1580 comments Mod
Sending a message to one user one time isn't necessarily against policy, but I wouldn't recommend it. As Dee mentioned, it turns some users off. Sending multiple self-promotional messages like that would probably result in a warning.

message 6: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 242 comments I've had a couple of authors contact me to ask if I'd mind putting my review onto Amazon/Smashwords. I have been honoured that they thought enough of it to ask.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

GR doesn't own anyone's review (it better not...).

They don't own, but they can use as they please when it comes to giveaways:

"By accepting an advance copy and posting a review, you grant Goodreads and the publisher an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, fully paid, worldwide license to use, copy, perform, display, and distribute your review."

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 104 comments Brenda wrote: "I've had a couple of authors contact me to ask if I'd mind putting my review onto Amazon/Smashwords. I have been honoured that they thought enough of it to ask."

I'm with Brenda on this.

unread topics | mark unread