Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Policies & Practices > posting book reviews

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rick | 15 comments Hello all...I hope this isn't a redundant post. BUT: can we post books reviews to books...such as reviews from the "Midwest Book Review," where they routinely publish reviews that they allow to be reposted as long as attribution is provided? Also, BOOKNEWS publishes reviews that I believe the author can reuse as long as attributuiion is provided. Can these be used...if so, how can they be posted? Thanks.

message 2: by rivka, Volunteer Mod (new)

rivka | 20970 comments Mod
There is currently no way for librarians to post external reviews to GR. No reason why any user, librarian or not, can't include a link to an external review along with your own review, though. I've done this a couple times.

Rick | 15 comments My thought was to find an easy way for authors to post reviews of their books...it would be one more way an author could use GR to bring a bit of attention to his/her book. This would also provide the general reader with more information about the book. Well followed books don't need this, but books with little or no following might be helped. Since most authors do not review their own book, posting review links in a review would look like an author reviewed their own work. How about an author posting the review link or the review itself in the book description? Just a thought.

message 4: by rivka, Volunteer Mod (new)

Rick wrote: "How about an author posting the review link or the review itself in the book description?"

Absolutely not.

However, authors do have a few options. They can use the blog feature or the writing feature to post links to reviews or excerpts of them (or both), for instance.

Rick | 15 comments help me a bit more...I am not familiar with the "writing feature" to post links

message 6: by rivka, Volunteer Mod (new)

If you are an author, your first step should actually be to claim your author profile.

Betsy | 201 comments Last year Otis floated a suggestion to add external reviews/articles to the book page on Goodreads books. It was pretty well received, but some people didn't like the idea. Here's the thread:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

I don't know if anything ever came of it, but if this is what you had in mind, Rick, you might want to reanimate the discussion.

Rick | 15 comments Thanks Betsy…I read the thread and it seems 50-50. Some want to keep GR pure and as originally envisioned, and others want to raise the horizon a bit. I can see both sides. My idea was to simply offer authors a way to provide more information to potential readers about their books…especially authors who have books out there with few if any ratings/reviews. All I envisioned was providing links – not pages of information, and placing them possibly right after the book description. The blockbuster books don’t need the push, it is already out there. My idea was for the lesser known and reviewed authors. That’s all.

Rick | 15 comments rivka wrote: "Rick wrote: "How about an author posting the review link or the review itself in the book description?"

Absolutely not.

However, authors do have a few options. They can use the blog feature or t..."

Absoluetly not may be a bit strong. I suspect this cat is out of the bag...take a look at Norman Maclean's A River Runs Through It... http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30... ...in the book description there are numerous quotes from reviews. This is all I intended.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Personally, I delete that stuff when I come across it. I want to know what the book is about, not what someone else thought of it. If I want to know that, I will look at the review section, not the book description.

Rick | 15 comments Becky wrote: "Personally, I delete that stuff when I come across it. I want to know what the book is about, not what someone else thought of it. If I want to know that, I will look at the review section, not the..."

Ok, I am right there with you. But how does an author place a Midwest Book Review review on his book's site...as the author I don't want to review my own book, but would like to attach a MBR review for readers information.

message 13: by Paula (last edited May 14, 2012 10:50AM) (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 4252 comments They descriptions with reviews tend to come from the automatic imports and are deleted when found.

You add a comment or a "review" to the book with a link to the external review or add to your author profile or blog.

Edit: The example you gave has been sorted out

Cheryl in CC NV (cherylllr) | 339 comments I, personally, wouldn't mind if you said exactly that my using a review field.

Here's what I think would be appropriate & helpful.

Give the book 5 stars if you think it's the best you can imagine yourself ever writing and you honestly think it's a great book for everyone to read. Otherwise leave the star rating blank.

Then write a review saying something like "This is my labour of love, written because [insert your inspiration or whatever here]. I'm gratified to learn that other folks like/appreciate/are benefiting from it - check out this review if you'd like to: [link to MBR]."

But you haven't claimed your goodreads author profile, so I don't know what book you're even talking about!

Cheryl in CC NV (cherylllr) | 339 comments Oh crud - we're still in the Librarian's group talking more about a Feedback issue. Well, do become a 'goodreads author' and join the special group just for you-all - you'll learn a lot more there I'm sure. :)

My apologies to the Librarians for these OT posts.

Rick | 15 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "I, personally, wouldn't mind if you said exactly that my using a review field.

Here's what I think would be appropriate & helpful.

Give the book 5 stars if you think it's the best you can imagi..."

Hi..doesn't matter what book...I was opening the subject for all. Anyway I think we have brought out some options...I am dropping this thread but do want to thank all for fleshing out the idea...thanks.

message 17: by rivka, Volunteer Mod (new)

Jaq wrote: "What is the policy on posting external links in reviews?"

This is not a Librarian Group issue. Please flag any reviews you have concerns about, or use the Contact Us link on the Help page.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread