2015 Reading Challenge discussion

Catch-22
This topic is about Catch-22
ARCHIVE 2012 Group Reads > May 2012 - GR Catch 22 General Discussion *Spoiler Free*

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Please post general discussions here. This should be Spoiler Free!!

message 2: by Kara, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (KaraAyako) | 3041 comments I'm so excited (and kind of surprised) that this was chosen! I've been meaning to read this for years and years and years, and (like the Tess buddy read) I think this is just what I need to get going on it.

message 3: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Are you willing to be the group leader for this one??

message 4: by Kara, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (KaraAyako) | 3041 comments Absolutely! I've never done it before, but it sounds like fun.

message 5: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Ok great!! Thanks Kara. Do you know how many chapters it has or how it is laid out? I can set up the folders for it if you let me know how you want them.

message 6: by Kara, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (KaraAyako) | 3041 comments I'll let you know when I get home tonight. Thank you, Nikki!

message 7: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nathlawle) I have had this book on my to-read list for so long! I think I might even own it...

Brianna C (bebecald) | 758 comments I started to read this book years ago and ended up putting it down. I'm kind of excited to actually get back to it!

message 9: by Kara, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (KaraAyako) | 3041 comments If anyone's on the fence, here's some more information that just might incentivize you to join us:

* The Modern Library ranked Catch-22 as the 7th (by review panel) and 12th (by public) greatest English language novel of the twentieth century
* The Radcliffe Publishing Course rank Catch-22 as number 15 of the twentieth century's top 100 novels
* The Observer listed Catch-22 as one of the 100 greatest novels of all time
* TIME puts Catch-22 in the top 100 English language modern novels (1923 onwards, unranked)
* The Big Read by the BBC ranked Catch-22 as number 11 on a web poll of the UK's best-loved book
(source: wikipedia)

From listopia:
* Best Books Ever: 62nd of 18,304
* Best Books of the 20th Century: 17th out of 3,929
* Best Humorous Books: 6th out of 1,530 books
* Books that Made You Laugh: 8th out of 1,394 books
* World War II Fiction: 2nd out of 326 books
* Books That Changed My World: 1st out of 1,173 books

It's also in the Goodreads 100 for Fiction.

If you need a further push, this would count toward so many of the options for the May Challenge.

message 10: by Kara, Moderator (last edited May 21, 2012 06:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (KaraAyako) | 3041 comments I plan to keep track of the participants to keep everyone motivated. Let me know if you plan to join us in this one and how you're doing with it!

Participants
Sara - Finished
Kara - Finished
Trevor - Started
Brianna - Started

message 11: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nathlawle) Just picked mine up today. :) I'll start it tomorrow.

message 12: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nathlawle) Don't know if I'm going to be able to do this one after all!! Crazy life getting in the way. SO irritating!! :/

unread topics | mark unread