Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay discussion

Prequel?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 71) (71 new)    post a comment »

the fire burns inside me I want a prequel soooo bad what about you?

Casey For this book? Are you aware that this is the third book in a trilogy?

the fire burns inside me YES! I'm not stupid, but still I think she should make a prequel.

message 4: by Casey (last edited Apr 23, 2012 05:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Casey Emma wrote: "YES! I'm not stupid, but still I think she should make a prequel."

? To Mockingjay or to Hunger Games?

I didn't say you were stupid. It's easy to read a book and then realize later that it isn't a stand-a-lone and that there are books before it. I'm sorry you took it as an insult.

the fire burns inside me Well thats ok and I meant the hunger games.

Casey Oh. What would you want the prequel to be about?

the fire burns inside me Her kids maybe

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

A prequel is a series that is about the events before. Example; A prequel with what Haymitch experienced during his games, that would be awesome :D!

Casey Emma wrote: "Her kids maybe"

That would definitely be an interesting book but it would not be considered a prequel since Katniss didn't have kids before The Hunger Games.

the fire burns inside me Gina wrote: "A prequel is a series that is about the events before. Example; A prequel with what Haymitch experienced during his games, that would be awesome :D!" Ya good idea!

Casey:Oh then what would that be a contiuation of the trilogy?

Casey It would be a continuation of the trilogy. If Collins was to do it, though, I suppose she'd write about Katniss' kids as a sub-series to The Hunger Games.

the fire burns inside me Ya I want a continuation about her kids and a prequel about Haymitch lol!

Casey Emma wrote: "Ya I want a continuation about her kids and a prequel about Haymitch lol!"

That makes more sense.

I would definitely read those if Collins wrote them.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Me, too!

message 15: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee I would like a prequel about the uprising that led to the games and then maybe series of short stories about the different tributes and how they won...something that you could read while reading CF and when they announce the quarter quell

Casey Dee wrote: "I would like a prequel about the uprising that led to the games and then maybe series of short stories about the different tributes and how they won...something that you could read while reading CF..."

That'd be cool.

Boris I think a cool prequel will be about first Quarter Qual. The one where distircts had to choos themselvs who will be sent to the games. The choosing might actualy even more interesting (and important) than the games

message 18: by Ami (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ami B i think she should write a book about the hunger games after mockingjay, the one with the capitol children. and then maybe short stories about how the different victors (e.g johanna, wiress, finnick) won their games

Varun The book became a lot preachy towards the end. Also the end itself was a bit anticlimactic. That being said I want a prequel badly.

Hannah Eng I just want her to continue the series... I felt like it's just like not over, there should be more. But a preguel would be cool about Haymitch... I personally want it on Katniss' parents, cos I'm a sucker for a love story...

Casey Ami wrote: "i think she should write a book about the hunger games after mockingjay, the one with the capitol children. and then maybe short stories about how the different victors (e.g johanna, wiress, finnic..."

There wasn't another Hunger Games. The only people who wanted a Hunger Games for the Capitol kids were Johanna and Coin. While Katniss and Haymitch voted yes, it was just so Katniss could win Coin over so Coin would a)trust her and b)let Katniss be the one with the weapon meant to shoot Snow.

At least, that's how I understand it and I've found plenty of proof to support my idea.

message 22: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe it is called a prolgue I think

Casey Joe wrote: "it is called a prolgue I think"

A prologue is the short introduction you find in books. Like in A World Without Heroes, the book starts many years into the past. The next chapter is actually where the book beings.

A prequel is an entire book that comes before a series.

An-chan Sequel is the word you're looking for. It's the opposite of a prequel, a book that takes place after the series. A spinoff might also do, about the other characters or Katniss's kids.

And, yes, I do want one as well, detailing how Panem was rebuilt after the rebellion and what happened to all the characters. We only learn of the fates of Peeta and Katniss, and even then it's only a teeny tiny crumble of what happened. I want to really know what took place, please!

And, yeah, a prequel about the war that brought Panem about, or about Haymitch or Finnick or Johanna, maybe, would be interesting - as would a story about someone who actually was born and raised in the capitol. A peacekeeper, maybe, someone who grows up in the middle of shiny colors and excess and then moves to a district and sees the reality of life there. I think that would be very interesting.

Jayme Whats a prequel?

BelleScar I think it would be great to have a Prequel about what lead up to the Hunger games..In the book we were explained but I want to hear it through someones blood, sweat, and tears..

message 27: by Hai (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hai Jayme wrote: "Whats a prequel?"

if you arent joking, it's a movie or book set in a time before the first events of the first book or movie.

I.E. A prequel to this book would take place before we meet Katniss.

I really don't think that this would be an altogether good idea. It's a slippery slope. On one hand, you want more story. On the other, what if the product takes away from the original.

Take for instance: The Matrix. This movie was suppose to be a stand alone movie, with an open ending to let the viewer feel like they could imagine what'll happen next. the following two movies (Reloaded and Revolution, respectively) ruined the whole franchise for a majority of the fans who enjoyed the first one. myself included. yeah yeah, it's been 10 years. i should get over it.

but still. what if the book does come out, it ruins the spirit of the regular series. how badly do you want that extra bit of story?

An-chan The Matrix sequels didn't ruin the original movie for me, as much as I hated them (where do you get the "majority" from?). It's still an amazing movie I keep rewatching, I just don't rewatch or remember the sequels much. I don't think a sequel or a prequel would ruin the spirit of the original series, as you suggest. And, yeah, I would be willing to accept that risk to know what happened to the rest of the cast, to see life in other districts or the Capitol before the revolution, or to see the rebuilding of Panem is a democracy - any of those would make me quite happy. I feel like this universe has a lot more to offer still. Ultimately it's up to Collins, of course, to decide if she wants to give that to us or not, or if it would even make sense, but I definitely have a lot of unresolved questions and I see countless of untold stories that could make the experience more complete.

message 29: by Hai (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hai An-chan wrote: "The Matrix sequels didn't ruin the original movie for me, as much as I hated them (where do you get the "majority" from?). It's still an amazing movie I keep rewatching, I just don't rewatch or rem..."

every time i've heard about the matrix being discussed. and i do mean every time, people say they liked the original, and they go on to discuss how bad the follow up movies are. they are now considered the "Matrix Trilogy" now. it's not the matrix, and those other two movies. it's all one single story now. and i really dislike how it ended up that way.

but i digress. also, this is just one example. what about (and i know you guys are probably going to crucify me for bring twilight into this) but theres The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner this had no part in the original story, but it was tacked on to "continue the story" as it were. which i didnt like this compared to the rest of the series. it just looked like she filled in bits of story, and when things didn't mesh naturally, she just improvised feelings and coincidences so it wouldn't disrupt what happened in the original. it didn't exactly take anything away from the original, nor did it really add anything. again. seems tacked on.

I feel that's what would happen if a prequel to the hunger games was added. the story of the hunger games trilogy is already complete. adding anything now would probably feel tacked on.

Aɴɴᴇ Oɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴅɢᴇ ᴏғ ᴍʏ sᴇᴀᴛ ᴀʙᴏᴜᴛ ᴛᴏ ғᴀʟʟ ɪɴᴛᴏIan Kabra Prequel!!

forthosewhodontknow What I really wanted to read is a small book for a point of view of Rue, her life on Distrit 11, how she was picked, what she felt when Katniss helped her, etc...

Tina J Gina wrote: "A prequel is a series that is about the events before. Example; A prequel with what Haymitch experienced during his games, that would be awesome :D!"

Agree!
It would be very interesting to read about a younger Haymitch and what he went through with The Games.
And it'd also give us a better insight on why he is the way he is.

message 33: by Cati (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cati I'd love to read a prequel that tells about the times of the first rebellion against the Capitol, when District 13 was supposedly destroyed and the Hunger Games began, I believe it would make total sense :)

BelleScar Cati wrote: "I'd love to read a prequel that tells about the times of the first rebellion against the Capitol, when District 13 was supposedly destroyed and the Hunger Games began, I believe it would make total..."

I think that would be awesome to hear about.. And then to be able to feel and read about the very first 'Hunger Games'...What it felt like at the moment to loose HOPE..

Emily I think there should be a prequel. It would add to the backround information that we need to know.

Daniel Well a prequel about how Finnick Mags Johanna Haymitch and the other tibutes would be cool... But how about a parallel story where the Capitol won against the rebels and another group attempt to destroy it?

Elisabeth Wheatley Why would you want a prequel? You know what the ultimate outcome is. Okay, I see how a prequel might be fun to some people. But I would have to force myself to read it. (I hate spoilers.)

message 38: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee but it wouldn't necessarily have to have spoilers...i mean, lots can change in the 75 years that Panem existed, so really, its a blank slate

my one complaint about most YA dystopian is that there is rarely discussion of what happened for the world to end up how it did...sure we know there was a rebellion - but why, etc...ditto with Divergent - how did the factions come to be

Kendyl I think a prequel about how the hunger games came to be and why would be very interesting actually. Although, a continuation of the trilogy about her kids? I don't know, I'm a little hesitant. It wouldn't be like the hunger games because the hunger games are no more. So what could it possibly be about if Mockingjay had ended so happily? If this did ever happen, like I said, I would be hesitant to pick up the novel.

Zelda Casey wrote: "Emma wrote: "Her kids maybe"

That would definitely be an interesting book but it would not be considered a prequel since Katniss didn't have kids before The Hunger Games."

*gigglesnort*
Emma- that's a good idea----Let's hope she does!

Paula Great idea! Hope she does! Would love to know more about Katniss' family and how the districts came to be

Savannah Born Just to have any background information on any of the other supporting characters would be great! Not just Haymitch, but Cinna, Finnick, and maybe Katniss' parents too. Also something about how the Capitol and Panem came to be and President Snow's rise to power. In my opinion, any kind of addition to the series would be awesome!!!

Andrew PLEASE NO!!! Why do we need this?!? We know what happens in the past, just let the story rest on it's own. No sequel or prequel. We already know of what happened through rumors and conversations about the past. Geeze... I love the "Hitchhiker's Guide" books but I would NEVER have wanted Adams to beat them into the ground.

message 44: by Amethyst (last edited May 01, 2012 07:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amethyst I love Love the Books BUt either Collins Sucks At Writing ending or she just wanted to be mean to us and leave things out in the open. I would for her to write more about them but she can only do soo much with them before they become played out and that is the very last thing I would want.

Andrew Amethyst wrote: "I love Love the Books BUt either Collins Sucks At Writing ending or she just wanted to be mean to us and keave things out in the open. i would for her to write more about them but she can only do s..."

Do YOU have published books?!?

It ending in a REAL manner. Life is not unicorns and rainbows. I just finished the book last night and loved how it ended. As a writer, I can tell you we write for US and not for anyone else. I write stories that I would want to read, not what I want others to read. LOL... I have done some short stories that folks really did not like the endings at all, know what... TOUGH. ;) They are my creations.

Amethyst Well Thats Great For You I suppose But the ending Was not okay with me. It Was like eating breakfast monday morning And then all the sudden its 5 years later that doesnt happen in real life... the ending was cut short to me. I wish there had been more information about how there lifes continued. I dont need an exact play by play but a little something more would help

Andrew Amethyst wrote: "Well Thats Great For You I suppose But the ending Was not okay with me. It Was like eating breakfast monday morning And then all the sudden its 5 years later that doesnt happen in real life... the ..."

I understand that, but part of the greatness of a book, film, etc is discussion and speculation. What you take away in your heart and mind. Not what someone TELLS you to take.

Her mission was complete... do we really need a "Happy Unicorn" ending or a full write up regarding what happened? NO. We won... no the Capital, or the power hungry Coin who would have been just as bad. The people won. I thought it would be more poetic if she died... and we just heard about Peeta, Gale and others truthfully. But it is NOT my book or MY story. ;)

If a book has to be fully explained and laid for a reader then why even bother reading it? That is the reason for various books, film, music, whatever media. An author or creator of media owes nothing to the consumers. If you buy an album and 3 of the songs suck, does the musician OWE you three songs? NO.

We consume the media and take away what we want. Creators owe us NOTHING... other than to keep creating places to visit and music to listen too. :)

Allison well considering that is a TRILOGY i don't think there will be one. But I would be very happy if there is

Paula When Eragon was published, Paolini said that it was book one of a trilogy. Ended up being 4 books. Who knows?
I did like the ending.

message 50: by the fire burns (last edited May 01, 2012 03:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

the fire burns inside me Zelda the egomaniac wrote: "Casey wrote: "Emma wrote: "Her kids maybe"

That would definitely be an interesting book but it would not be considered a prequel since Katniss didn't have kids before The Hunger Games."
*gigglesno..."
Thank you!

Andrew wrote: "Amethyst wrote: "I love Love the Books BUt either Collins Sucks At Writing ending or she just wanted to be mean to us and keave things out in the open. i would for her to write more about them but ..." OK! THATS IT STOP FIGHTING! THAT WAS MEAN! AND THATS JUST YOUR OPINION! GOD! UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS RELLY?

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Mockingjay (other topics)
A World Without Heroes (other topics)
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (other topics)