Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion

The Epilogue was kind of predictable

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Hannah The WHOLE epilogue is corny! Not just the names. But the names is the worst part I think. I applaud her for killing a few characters, though. It saves the book from having a totally perfect happy ending, so it seems more real. But it's still predictable. I also got the same feeling as you did when I got to the epilogue. I don't exactly like Ginny (no offense Ginny fans). The epilogue gives the whole series a weird sense of ending, if you get what I mean.

Sheila Eh, life goes on and is usually very predictable.

Sarah i think the names were awkward. I mean, "Albus Severus Potter"? Seriously Jo? I mean, it's a nice gesture, but poor kid! and "Scorpius"? Were the parents high when they named their kids??
I expected there to be less of the whole happy-ever-after thing. I mean, one reason we like HP is coz its NOT a fairy tale.

Hannah Sarah wrote: "i think the names were awkward. I mean, "Albus Severus Potter"? Seriously Jo? I mean, it's a nice gesture, but poor kid! and "Scorpius"? Were the parents high when they named their kids??
I expect..."

lol! well said. if I were the children, I'd go to court to change my name. and yeah, the ending makes it fairy tale-ish

Jenn Hannah wrote: "Sarah wrote: "i think the names were awkward. I mean, "Albus Severus Potter"? Seriously Jo? I mean, it's a nice gesture, but poor kid! and "Scorpius"? Were the parents high when they named their ki..."

exactly! couldnt agree more!

message 6: by Julian (new)

Julian Mayfield I have to agree with everyone here. It was a big let down about three paragraphs in I nearly decided to skip the epilogue.

Dusty Yes, both predictable and cheesy. However, I believe this shows how well J.K. Rowling came to know her fans. She knew that they (we) would be clamoring to know where & how they all ended up. So this is what was in her mind; and I don't fault her for it at all. But she at least put it in the epilogue, knowing people would feel this way.

message 8: by Mo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mo I kind of feel like J K Rowling left the ending (i.e. the Epilogue) finished and yet open enough that, should she decide, she could draw this whole thing out further for as long as she'd like...it's predictable and leaves room to keep the whole thing going

message 9: by Mo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mo Book Lover wrote: "yeah...i guess...i just didnt like the epilogue...and no one can change my mind"

I was agreeing that i really didn't enjoy the ending...I was commenting more that J K Rowling is possibly opening herself for being called a sell out...

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

The epilouge was pretty "unneeded." The names were also kinda stupid.....I mean....Scorpius?

Dusty Elizabeth wrote: "The epilouge was pretty "unneeded." The names were also kinda stupid.....I mean....Scorpius?"

Yes, it sounds corny. But it appears that Black family tradition was to name people after stars or constellations. Sirius, Bellatrix...it was just in keeping with that MO.

Kaylee You do realize this is a fantasy, right? If you don't want it to end happily then go over to being Voldemort fans. nothing ended happy for him. and again.... fantasy. Names of characters that are mentioned once don't matter.

Juliet I think it tied up the book nicely, so you weren't wondering what happened with everyone. I liked that they named their kids after their loved ones, it was cute AND corny.

Kaylee exactly

Juliet :P

message 16: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa I did not like the ending of the book or the epilogue. Harry was always a tragic hero and he should have died at the end. It would have been fitting and appropriate to have Neville take over after Harry died and kill Voldermort. It would have fit with the prophecy and it would also reflect the change in his character throughout the series. I feel like the epilogue was the icing on the cake with J.K. Rowling selling out and making the story too happily ever after. Yes, a lot of my favorite characters did die, but the epilogue should have shown that Harry was effected by their deaths through his whole life if he were to live. This was just too predictable and to unrealistic for me.

message 17: by Keri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keri I didn't care for the epilogue either. I did'nt care so much about the names and I do appreciate that she let us know what happened with everyone. My complaint about it is that it seemed very rushed and didn't have a lot of thought put into it. Not very well written compared to the last few books. It did seem very corny and I think if she would have spent a bit more time and thought on it, it would have been better.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa wrote: "I did not like the ending of the book or the epilogue. Harry was always a tragic hero and he should have died at the end. It would have been fitting and appropriate to have Neville take over after ..."

Kill Harry Potter? NO!

Madeline Charlotte wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I did not like the ending of the book or the epilogue. Harry was always a tragic hero and he should have died at the end. It would have been fitting and appropriate to have Neville tak..."

That would make me cry!!!

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (other topics)