GeekMom discussion

The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next #1)
This topic is about The Eyre Affair
GeekMom Book Club April > GeekMom Book Club April Week 4

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ariane Coffin | 18 comments Mod
It's the last week! I hope you all loved the book! Here are the final questions:
1. Most of the literary jokes and references were way above my poor knowledge of classic English literature. If you also didn't get all the references, do you feel like you missed out significantly? If you did get all the references, do you feel you would have enjoyed the book much less if you hadn't?
From the  Reading Group Guides, I thought these questions were too good to pass up:
2. If you could jump right into any novel with Ms. Nakajima, which novel would you choose to visit?
3. What classic novel endings have left you unsatisfied? What endings would you change if you had the power to do so?

Bettina | 20 comments I'm sure I missed out, but I don't necessarily think my lack of knowledge detracted from the enjoyment of the book. (Sort of like the Castle that just aired that co-starred "Jayne"; lots of Firefly references, but you could still enjoy the Castle w/out the prior knowledge.)

Well my favorite novel is The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley, so I guess I would choose that. Quite fun now that I think about it - visiting all those places, just out of the story's reach.

I can't think of endings I may want to change. Mostly, if I don't like the ending, I just shrug and remark that it was the author's choice. OH, I know! Where the Red Fern Grows. Geez, did BOTH puppies have to die? And the one with the entrails hanging out but still alive? Yeah, didn't need that.

Sarah | 3 comments I think it's thoroughly enjoyable even without having a full comprehension of all the references. It actually sent me on a hunt to re-read novels that I had apparently forgotten.

My favourite novel is Pride and Prejudice but I was surprisingly disappointed by Lost in Austen, the TV show that had a woman switch places with Elizabeth Bennett, so I'm not sure if I'd want to do that. The Forsyte Saga probably, to slap Irene.

I know I have been unsatisfied by endings, but mostly because I want to see what happens next, not because I'm disappointed in the story. Vanity Fair is one that springs to mind. But then I also despise most sequels when written by others. I did enjoy Death Comes to Pemberley by PD James, it only indulged temporarily in two of the pitfalls that most Austen sequels seem to enjoy.

Amy Baten | 14 comments I didn't get some of the references but thanks to the good ol internet, I have found out them. I think that even though I didn't get all of them, I have thoroughly enjoyed the book (I'm on the 3rd in the series now).

If I could jump into any novel, it would have to be "Anne of Green Gables" by L.M. Montgomery. Sigh. It's my favorite book ever!

Actually "American Psycho" was the most recent one that ended poorly. I mean it just ended. Done. Nothing else. I've never seen the movie and had it on a book list to read. And I have to agree with Bettina. Where the Red Fern Grows does end cruddy.

Gretchenmora Mora | 2 comments I have to say that my lack of literary knowledge probably detracted some from my enjoyment of the book, but because I don't know how much more I would have enjoyed it had I understood all the references, that it doesn't really matter if I did or did not. Overall, I was disappointed with the book. Toward the end I kept thinking it was like Inkspell where someone reads you into a story, and I thought this book would be so much more. Oh, well. If I could go into any book, it'd probably be a historical "autobiography" by Margaret George - Elizabeth, Cleopatra or something like that.

unread topics | mark unread