Shut Up & Read discussion

Archives > Kick Ass Cover>>Sucky Book?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 137) (137 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Alice Belikov  First lady Ivashkov (AliceBelikovReads) | 974 comments Have you ever bought a book because of it's cover and after reading the book you think to yourself......Wow that book really sucked?

Help us spot the imposters by posting books with AWESOME covers but a not so awesome story.

chat away :)

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 360 comments I've had this happen before, but off the top of my head, I can't remember a specific title.

I think that some authors invest more time into their covers than into their novels which seems backwards to me!

I'm curious to see what titles people post here.

message 3: by Kari (new)

Kari Entwined by Heather Dixon Beautiful cover - - poorly written book.

Alice Belikov  First lady Ivashkov (AliceBelikovReads) | 974 comments That's such a disappointment when you buy a book for its beautiful cover and then the book is not very good :/

message 5: by Rike' (new)

Rike' (Icylilies) | 49 comments I'm waiting for the day it happens. I tend to judge a book by it's cover because it's the first thing that captures my attention, but so far, I've read some pretty good books with awesome covers :D

I brought The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern mostly because the cover is gorgeous. The story sounded good, but it was the cover that made me buy the book lol. The book is pretty slow paced, but I did enjoy it overall.

Alice Belikov  First lady Ivashkov (AliceBelikovReads) | 974 comments I love the cover on this one! I haven't read it I think because of the title lol it does not sound interesting at all. But I'm glad our enjoyed it :)

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 360 comments Rike' wrote: "I'm waiting for the day it happens. I tend to judge a book by it's cover because it's the first thing that captures my attention, but so far, I've read some pretty good books with awesome covers :D..."

Yeah, that book is also in my TBR pile, but I've heard enough meh comments from my friends to keep it there for a while, lol. You're right, though, the cover is pretty cool.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 7 comments The cover of this series looks great but by the 3rd book it just gets so repetitive and boring. I just wanted it to end but also wanted to finish the series since I had already read 2 of the books. :\

Shadowland (The Immortals, #3) by Alyson Noel Dark Flame (The Immortals, #4) by Alyson Noel Night Star (The Immortals, #5) by Alyson Noel

message 9: by Nuz - Say It With Books ツ (last edited Apr 25, 2012 01:05AM) (new)

Nuz - Say It With Books  ツ (N-u-z-a-i-f-a) Need (Need, #1) by Carrie Jones was poorly written.
Maybe my expectations were WAY too high but I was seriously disappointed! :\

message 10: by ♥Ritu♥ (new)

♥Ritu♥ (ritu_r) | 70 comments [book:Glass Houses|27266

message 11: by Alice Belikov (new)

Alice Belikov  First lady Ivashkov (AliceBelikovReads) | 974 comments Nuzaifa wrote: "Need (Need, #1) by Carrie Jones was poorly written.
Maybe my expectations were WAY too high but I was seriously disappointed! :\"

Awl I so wanted to read Need because of its cover.

message 12: by Christie (new)

Christie Rich | 337 comments I liked need, Alice. It wasn't my favorite book ever, but I wouldn't label it sucky. I'd say 3.5 stars. If I were you I'd read the sample on amazon to see if you like the writer's style.

That's why I'm hesitant to put any books up here because everyone is so different. What I hate, you might like and vice versa. Just food for thought.

message 13: by Alice Belikov (new)

Alice Belikov  First lady Ivashkov (AliceBelikovReads) | 974 comments So true! I haven't posted any book on here because every book I've read I loved. But I have Need on my bookshelf and still plan on reading it soon :)

message 14: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Ash by Malinda Lo I loved the cover of this book, but......q(-_-)p

message 15: by Christie (new)

Christie Rich | 337 comments Wow! That is a pretty cover.

message 16: by Christie (new)

Christie Rich | 337 comments Oh, double wow! I just realized I read this book. I have to agree with you on this one, Brandy. I bought it at discount at Borders when they were closing. All I have to say is there should be a disclaimer if the romance in a book is not between a man and a woman.

I believe people have a right to read what they want, but when I read the cover, I thought this was going to be a retelling of Cinderella. It was just not in the way I expected.

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 360 comments Christie wrote: "Oh, double wow! I just realized I read this book. I have to agree with you on this one, Brandy. I bought it at discount at Borders when they were closing. All I have to say is there should be a..."

Um...who *was* the romance between?

Yes, I've wanted disclaimers on books at times, too. It's not that I wouldn't keep from reading them, but sometimes, I want to be prepared, ya know? That's why I like GR so much. Usually, you can get a sense of the book before you start to read it.

message 18: by Christie (new)

Christie Rich | 337 comments Yeah, it was an impulse buy. Luckily I didn't spend that much on it, but I was disappointed because I had a certain expectation from the book and it did not deliver. I should have checked it out before I bought it. I liked the writing style, but the romance threw me.

The romance was between the (view spoiler)

message 19: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

Sheri | 9011 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "The cover of this series looks great but by the 3rd book it just gets so repetitive and boring. I just wanted it to end but also wanted to finish the series since I had already read 2 of the books...."

I liked the first two in this series but had to force myself to finish the third. I almost put it down a couple of times, but kept thinking it had to get better!! It didn't.

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 360 comments Christie wrote: "Yeah, it was an impulse buy. Luckily I didn't spend that much on it, but I was disappointed because I had a certain expectation from the book and it did not deliver. I should have checked it out ..."

Yeah, that deserves a little heads up.

Lol, Sheri. I'm the same way about books! Even if I'm not into one, I keep reading because I think it will improve. If something ends up in my DNF file, then it was really, really not for me!

message 21: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Christie wrote: "Oh, double wow! I just realized I read this book. I have to agree with you on this one, Brandy. I bought it at discount at Borders when they were closing. All I have to say is there should be a..."
I was a little shocked myself. I had never before read a book like it and didn't care for the...romance? lol

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 360 comments BardEann wrote: "I have a poster of this on my wall. Wonderful book, and Heather Cooper is a fantastic artist.

Bluebeard's Egg "

That is a gorgeous cover. I love Margaret Atwood, too, but I was never sold on The Handmaid's Tale cover (not the one I read anyhow). Her other covers, like the one for
The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood were much better.

message 23: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sasukephan) | 16 comments I completely agree with Sarah. The book covers of that series are so gorgeous but the storyline... ugh don't even get me started. I barely finished the second book cause of its repetitiveness. I still can't help but glance at the covers in the bookstore though.

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 360 comments BardEann wrote: "Michelle L. wrote:
That is a gorgeous cover. I love Margaret Atwood, too."

Blind Assassin was a drop kick me JEEESUHSS throw the goalposts of life amazing story, but damned if I never liked one ..."

Lol. I liked that book alot, too. I never liked Dune the book, but I didn't mind the cover. Go figure!

message 25: by tif (last edited May 10, 2012 09:11PM) (new)

tif (tiftoland) | 24 comments I read Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick because of the cover. Thank God I didn't buy it, got it from the library last summer. Very pretty cover, very boring book. And disturbing.
Speaking of disturbing... disclaimers on books about the "non-traditional" romance in them? Really? Really?
Also, Thirst No. 1  The Last Vampire, Black Blood and Red Dice (Thirst, #1) by Christopher Pikewas one I did unfortunately buy (thankfully at Half-Price Books for cheap). I know it's a re-publishing of several books, but the "omnibus" cover was pretty. The book was so boring and infuriating at the same time. I hated the main character so much.

message 26: by Mirvan (new)

Mirvan  Ereon (mirvanereon) | 33 comments I love the covers of the Night Watch Series Miramax edition by Sergei Lukyanenko and these novels are the best!!!!!!!!

Night Watch (Watch, #1) by Sergei Lukyanenko
Day Watch (Watch, #2) by Sergei Lukyanenko
Twilight Watch (Watch, #3) by Sergei Lukyanenko
The Last Watch (Watch, #4) by Sergei Lukyanenko

message 27: by Hannah :3 (new)

Hannah :3 (hammycope) its really weird cause ive never read a book that i didnt love!! does anyone know why this is?????

message 28: by Mirvan (new)

Mirvan  Ereon (mirvanereon) | 33 comments Hannah (i am a wild one) :3 wrote: "its really weird cause ive never read a book that i didnt love!! does anyone know why this is?????"

because you have an open mind and soul. You love all books because you are good and nice, maybe? =P

message 29: by Hannah :3 (new)

Hannah :3 (hammycope) Mirvan wrote: "Hannah (i am a wild one) :3 wrote: "its really weird cause ive never read a book that i didnt love!! does anyone know why this is?????"

because you have an open mind and soul. You love all books b..."

Aww your really nice!!! books are my life and i love to try new kind of books :)

message 30: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 301 comments This has happened to me but I can't think of any examples, but I think it would also be interesting to talk about books that had crappy covers but were amazing-that's been happening to me a lot lately

Nuz - Say It With Books  ツ (N-u-z-a-i-f-a) ^^That's true Tammy!I have come across lots of remarkable books that have not-so-great covers.

message 32: by Hannah :3 (new)

Hannah :3 (hammycope) Tammy wrote: "This has happened to me but I can't think of any examples, but I think it would also be interesting to talk about books that had crappy covers but were amazing-that's been happening to me a lot lately"

yea that happens all the time

message 33: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 360 comments Nuzaifa wrote: "^^That's true Tammy!I have come across lots of remarkable books that have not-so-great covers."

This always comes to mind, lol.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) by J.K. Rowling

I *never* liked the HP covers.

message 34: by Missy (new)

Missy (missy_aurora) | 153 comments Love the covers for Night Watch series.

I'm going to add Enclave (Razorland, #1) by Ann Aguirre because I really liked the cover but the writing style is horrible as is the plot and lack of development. I'm so disappointed :(

Nuz - Say It With Books  ツ (N-u-z-a-i-f-a) Michelle L. wrote: "This always comes to mind, lol.

[bookcover:Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban..."

oh yeah.the covers look like a page out of some comic.For such a kick-ass book the cover should be great too. =/

message 36: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

Tanecia  (books101) | 3786 comments Mod
Tammy wrote: "This has happened to me but I can't think of any examples, but I think it would also be interesting to talk about books that had crappy covers but were amazing-that's been happening to me a lot lately"

I could make a thread for you :)

message 37: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jessamiene) | 38 comments Sworn (The Vampire Legends, #1) by Emma Knight

This is the book I read in two hours last night. Probably a couple of the worst two hours of my life. I kept waiting for something to change because the book read like a Vampire Romance satire.
Kind of like watching Vampire's Suck but not as funny lol
Besides all that I loved the cover!

message 38: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (UrbanFae) | 360 comments Jennifer wrote: "Besides all that I loved the cover! "

That is definitely a gorgeous cover!

I think part of the reason why covers are so important is because they set an expectation for the rest of the book. That cover looks very dramatic and serious, but if the book isn't that way, then of course the reader will be upset.

If an author writes a quirky book, then he/she needs a quirky cover to go along with it!

message 39: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 301 comments Tt wrote: "Tammy wrote: "This has happened to me but I can't think of any examples, but I think it would also be interesting to talk about books that had crappy covers but were amazing-that's been happening t..."

I see a discussion with this topic now...thanks!

message 40: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

Your welcome and Thanks Sheri for making it for us ! :p

message 41: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

Sheri | 9011 comments Mod
Haha...I made it even before I saw the posts here! I figured Alice's thread needed a complement :D

message 42: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Faize) This is EXACTLY how I know when a book is worth reading or not. Awesome cover? Bound to be a hideously torturous read.

Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate Torment (Fallen, #2) by Lauren Kate Passion (Fallen, #3) by Lauren Kate

message 43: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

Hannah wrote: "This is EXACTLY how I know when a book is worth reading or not. Awesome cover? Bound to be a hideously torturous read.

Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren KateTorment (Fallen, #2) by Lauren KatePassion (Fallen, #3) by Lauren Kate"

It doesn't get better after the second book? I read the first book and really liked it read half of the second one and couldn't get through it. I've been wanting to pick the series back up because the author will be in my town soon.

message 44: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Faize) Well, I personally don't like the Fallen series, but that doesn't mean you won't. I don't remember anything about the 2nd book, but the third one was all over the place with time-travel and such. It was a confusing mess.

message 45: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Faize) But don't listen to what I say. Pick up the series again and see for yourself if you'll like it:)

message 46: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

Lol okay but I really wasn't liking it when I got to the second book. It dragged and dragged and Lucie was getting on my nerves. I will pick it up again but it's not on the top of my TRB pile.

message 47: by Mel (last edited May 24, 2012 05:42PM) (new)

Mel | 299 comments Die for Me (Revenants, #1) by Amy Plum it didn't suck honestly but I was expecting to completely fall in love with the story, but it fell completely flat for me. The cover is lovely and dramatic and I was expecting the story to be the same but sadly that was not so:(

message 48: by Christie (new)

Christie Rich | 337 comments Tt wrote: "Lol okay but I really wasn't liking it when I got to the second book. It dragged and dragged and Lucie was getting on my nerves. I will pick it up again but it's not on the top of my TRB pile."

Honestly, Tt, I started loving the Fallen series as well, but with each book, I have been disappointed. The third book was a mess just like Hannah said and by the end I wondered why the author had taken us so many places and through so much when it left off like it did. I don't know where she is going with it, but I personally like Hush, Hush better. Passion just left me confused and sort of angry by the time I was done.

Like Hannah said, though, you might feel differently.

message 49: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

Christie wrote: "Tt wrote: "Lol okay but I really wasn't liking it when I got to the second book. It dragged and dragged and Lucie was getting on my nerves. I will pick it up again but it's not on the top of my TRB..."

Lol I don't think I will feel any different. I read half of the second and I didn't like it and if a book doesn't get better by half way through I pretty much give up on reading it. Thanks you guys!

message 50: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

Christie wrote: "Tt wrote: "Lol okay but I really wasn't liking it when I got to the second book. It dragged and dragged and Lucie was getting on my nerves. I will pick it up again but it's not on the top of my TRB..."

Lol I don't think I will feel any different. I read half of the second and I didn't like it and if a book doesn't get better by half way through I pretty much give up on reading it. Thanks you guys! I will probably just go to get it signed and

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Entwined (other topics)
The Night Circus (other topics)
Shadowland (other topics)
Dark Flame (other topics)
Night Star (other topics)
More...