Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > May Challenge - Reduce your TBR list!

Comments (showing 301-350 of 429) (429 new)    post a comment »

message 301: by [deleted user] (new)

Enjoyable ones! The best ones. :)

message 302: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Brenda | 49731 comments Mod
Thanks Mish and Gina:) Nothing pitiful Gina....you're writing and releasing a new book!!

message 303: by Christy (new)

Christy (MrsCRich) | 205 comments Whoo Hoo!!!!!!!

I DID IT!!! Got all 3 read and am actually starting my 4th!
I know 3 or 4 isn't many, but for me, it's HUGE (especially these days)!!

1. The Soldier's Wifeby Margaret Leroy
2. Fifty Shades of Greyby E.L. James
3. Love Letters from Ladybug Farmby Donna Ball
4. Starting Fifty Shades Darkerby E.L. James

message 304: by Monica (last edited May 24, 2012 07:22PM) (new)

Monica | 51 comments Christy - I know how you feel! I've read four books this month and that is a huge achievement for me!!

1. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
2. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
3. The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards by
4. Mugglenet.com's Harry Potter Should Have Died: Controversial Views from the #1 Fan Site by Emerson Spartz and Ben Schoen

I just started The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness.. not sure if I will finish it before the month is up as all my uni assignments are due next week! But I'm happy with my four books :)

message 305: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (sn295) | 30 comments Monica - I've read number 2 and 3 on your list. I liked them. I doubt I'll finish my last book before the month is up for the same reason as you - uni assessment.

message 306: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Christy wrote: "Whoo Hoo!!!!!!!

I DID IT!!! Got all 3 read and am actually starting my 4th!
I know 3 or 4 isn't many, but for me, it's HUGE (especially these days)!!

1. The Soldier's Wifeby Margaret Leroy
2. ..."

Well done Christy!

message 307: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Monica wrote: "Christy - I know how you feel! I've read four books this month and that is a huge achievement for me!!

1. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
2. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
3. The Memory Keeper's D..."

Great result Monica! I've read #3, and have #2 for my library bookclub this month (June)...did you like it?

message 308: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie | 640 comments I'm hoping to get to #5 before the end of the month... might be pushing it a bit. Didn't reach the 10 I'd have preferred, but 5 is better than none :D

message 309: by Brenda, Happily reading! (last edited May 24, 2012 08:07PM) (new)

Lynxie wrote: "I'm hoping to get to #5 before the end of the month... might be pushing it a bit. Didn't reach the 10 I'd have preferred, but 5 is better than none :D"

5 is fantastic Lynxie...1 is better than none!! lol

message 310: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie | 640 comments still reading #4 but it's almost half way done so I'm hoping #5 will be a quick read :P

message 311: by Michael, The quirky reader (new)

Michael (MichaelSwensson) | 10301 comments Mod
Ok just finished my fourth one for the month. The King's Concubine

Review here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Will be reading this one next: Luther: The Calling

message 312: by Davina (new)

Davina | 154 comments Just finished book number 4 for May The Forest of Hands and TeethI didn't love it. Was hoping to get through 5 but we'll see. Still 5 days to go.

message 313: by Davina (last edited May 24, 2012 09:14PM) (new)

Davina | 154 comments Michael wrote: "Ok just finished my fourth one for the month. The King's Concubine

Review here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Will be reading this one next: Luther: The Calling"

That sounds like a very interesting book Michael but I don't know if it's my cup of tea. I might keep umming and arring over it for a while. But I think I might know someone who will like it. Great review by the way.

message 314: by Michael, The quirky reader (new)

Michael (MichaelSwensson) | 10301 comments Mod
Thank you Davina its a really good read for anyone who enjoys historical fiction.

message 315: by Janine (new)

Janine (Janineor) | 580 comments I have just finished my 9th book for May and am really pleased as I have had some of these books for years just waiting to be read and most are by authors new to me
Duet by Kimberley Freeman
Exposed by Alex Kava
Paycheque by Fiona Mccallum
Nine Dragons by Michael Connelly
Matter Of Trust by Sydney BauerThe Long Road Home by Mary Alice Monroe
I Am David by Anne Holm
Hell Island by Matthew Reilly
Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin
I have just started Between a Mother and Her Child by Elizabeth Noble and should finish that before the end of May so that will make 10

message 316: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie | 640 comments Well done Janine!!

message 317: by Trina (new)

Trina (trina88) | 263 comments 1. Fifty Shades of Grey
2. The Midwich Cuckoos
3. Fifty Shades Darker
4. The Great Gatsby
5. The Lucifer Code
6. Cosmos

Finished Cosmos last night, even though I started it quite a while ago. It's just taken me so long to read! I enjoyed it a lot, but it wasn't one that I could sit with and get lost in, so it took a while, but I'm counting it here anyway.

message 318: by Monica (new)

Monica | 51 comments Brenda wrote: Great result Monica! I've read #3, and have #2 for my library bookclub this month (June)...did you like it?

The Lovely Bones was a lot better than I expected. The storyline has the potential to drag and be a bit depressing, but the writing managed to keep it afloat somehow. Of course I've seen some extremely negative and extremely positive reviews - I think it's one of those books you either love or hate! But it had me thinking for days after I finished. Love a book that can make that kind of impact on me :)

message 319: by Trina (new)

Trina (trina88) | 263 comments Monica, I neither loved nor hated The Lovely Bones, but it's been so long since I read it. Have you seen the movie? I quite liked it I think. I also didn't really like The Memory Keeper's Daughter that much! Did you like it?

message 320: by Monica (new)

Monica | 51 comments Trina, ahh, you've proved me wrong! I was going on the reviews I read.. very passionate views both ways on that book. I've seen part of the movie, but it was a few years ago so I'd really quite like to see it again. I've heard some people prefer the movie to the book so I'm interested to compare!

I liked the Memory Keeper's Daughter but it wasn't a life-changing book for me. The storyline was intriguing but there were a few things (some of the characters specifically) that annoyed me enough not to give it four stars. What in particular didn't you like about it? :)

message 321: by Trina (new)

Trina (trina88) | 263 comments With The Memory Keeper's Daughter I think I just found it really boring! It's a while ago that I read it so I really don't remember much about it, but I remember not liking it enough to not bother buying another of her books!

message 322: by Mish (new)

Mish | 3299 comments Trina wrote: "With The Memory Keeper's Daughter I think I just found it really boring! It's a while ago that I read it so I really don't remember much about it, but I remember not liking it enough to not bother ..."

It been years since I've read it too. But i do remember finding it boring

message 323: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Congrats everyone, you've all done extremely well! With still a few days left till the end of the month, there'll be a few more to add I'm sure!

Thanks Monica for your summary of The Lovely Bones.. I was intrigued when I read the blurb! I too didn't like The Memory Keeper's Daughter that much...nothing to jump out and 'grab' you in the story!

Great review Michael!

message 324: by Trina (new)

Trina (trina88) | 263 comments Brenda I am so glad I am not the only one who didn't like The Memory Keeper's Daughter! I'm sure of course plenty of people disliked it, but I don't know any.

message 325: by David (new)

David Delaney | 786 comments Brenda wrote: "Here are my May reads so far...

1. Frantic by Katherine Howell
2. The Darkest Hour by Katherine Howell
3. Final Crossing: A Novel of Suspense by Carter Wilson
4. Dead Heat by Bronwyn Parry
5. Dea..."

What!!!..& mine is not in there....LOL!!..just kidding..on another matter, I will be going to Helen's book signing very soon & will have my signed copy of Burning Lies....(-:

message 326: by KOMET (new)

KOMET The Flight Of The Maidens

124 MORE PAGES TO GO!!!

The Flight Of The Maidens by Jane Gardam

message 327: by Monica (new)

Monica | 51 comments Trina, Mish, Brenda - thanks for sharing your opinions! Always fascinated to hear what others have thought of books I've recently read :)

message 328: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 160 comments I have finished
1. The Extinction Gambit by Michael Pryor
2. Crushed by Clifford Riley
3. Turbulence by Clifford Riley
4. Ignition by Clifford Riley
5. Hunted by Clifford Riley
6. Invasion by Clifford Riley
7. Fireworks by Clifford Riley
8. The Coming of the Whirlpoolby Andrew McGahan

Books 2 - 7 were all short stories.

message 329: by Brenda, Happily reading! (last edited May 25, 2012 04:51PM) (new)

David wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Here are my May reads so far...

4. Dead Heat by Bronw..."

Yours is on my bedside table David. I am enjoying it slowly, every now and then I'll have a little read, I'm making notes you know:)

Say hi to Helene for me...hopefully I'll catch up with her in August! I just finished my ARC copy of Burning Lies a few days ago...it was brilliant!

message 330: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Sharon wrote: "I have finished
6. Invasion by Cl..."

Well done Sharon!

message 331: by Davina (new)

Davina | 154 comments Sharon wrote: "I have finished
6. Invasion by Cl..."

Wow Sharon all those sound really interesting. Did you review any? Would love to see what you thought.

message 332: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 160 comments Davina wrote: "Sharon wrote: "I have finished
6. ..."

No I haven't reviewed any of them other than giving them a star rating as I am hopeless at writing reviews. I know how I feel about the books I read but always end up scrapping any reviews I start.

message 333: by David (new)

David Delaney | 786 comments Brenda wrote: "David wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Here are my May reads so far...

4. Dead..."

I will say G'day for you brenda, & the only way to read a book of poetry is slowly to absorb the feeling within the words...(-:

message 334: by Davina (new)

Davina | 154 comments Sharon wrote: "Davina wrote: "Sharon wrote: "I have finished
5. Hunted by Cli..."

I have trouble too Sharon. I figure no one really reads mine except me but they are usually pretty short because I have trouble articulating what's in my head.

message 335: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 160 comments Davina wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Davina wrote: "Sharon wrote: "I have finished
5..."

I know what you mean. It always sounds brilliant in my head because I know what I mean but when putting it down "on paper" I start to second guess myself. In future I'll try to do reviews.

message 336: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Sharon wrote: "Davina wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Davina wrote: "Sharon wrote: "I know what you mean. It always sounds brilliant in my head because I know what I mean but when putting it down "on paper" I start to second guess myself. In future I'll try to do reviews. "

You only need start off with a few words, then as you get more comfortable, you'll find you write a little more...I hadn't written a review in my life until about 8 months ago!

message 337: by [deleted user] (new)

The Book Thief*****Finished- 4 stars
The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes*****Finished- 3 stars

message 338: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Mickey wrote: "The Book Thief*****Finished- 4 stars
The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes*****Finished- 3 stars"

Well done Mickey!

message 339: by Davina (new)

Davina | 154 comments Brenda wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Davina wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Davina wrote: "Sharon wrote: "I know what you mean. It always sounds brilliant in my head because I know what I mean but when putting it down "on paper"..."

Did you start with the aussie authors challenge last year too. That's when I started because it was part of the rules otherwise I still don't think I would have done it.

message 340: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Davina wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Davina wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Davina wrote: "Sharon wrote: "I know what you mean. It always sounds brilliant in my head because I know what I mean but when putting it ..."

I think I did Davina...I know I had no idea what to write, and I agonised over the first ones I did for ages! It just got a little easier the more I did...I'm glad I did it now, as I can look back at my reviews, and they remind me of the story! It's an 'aha' moment...lol

message 341: by Davina (new)

Davina | 154 comments Brenda wrote: "Davina wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Davina wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Davina wrote: "Sharon wrote: "I know what you mean. It always sounds brilliant in my head because I know what I mean but w..."

Yes. I love those aha moments.

message 342: by [deleted user] (new)

Just finished this collection of short stories:Kindling Finely crafted writing, modern Scottish? Anyway, I loved them! 5 stars. Really worth reading.

message 343: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Well done Gina!

message 345: by Blue Eyed Vixen (new)

Blue Eyed Vixen | 35 comments Well done Brenda!

My list, though not as grand and has not done much to chip into my TBR pile, is this....

Hell Island (Shane Schofield, #4) by Matthew Reilly Hell Island by Matthew Reilly.
The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka.
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne.
Breath by Tim Winton Breath by Tim Winton.
Shopaholic & Baby (Shopaholic, #5) by Sophie Kinsella Shopaholic and Baby by Sophia Kinsella.
Living with the Dead (Women of the Otherworld, #9) by Kelley Armstrong Living with the Dead by Kelley Armstrong.
and should have finished by the end of May...
Blood by Tony Birch Blood by Tony Birch.

I do feel a bit lighter with those out of the way :)

message 346: by Brenda, Happily reading! (new)

Blue Eyed Vixen wrote: "Well done Brenda!

My list, though not as grand and has not done much to chip into my TBR pile, is this....

Hell Island (Shane Schofield, #4) by Matthew Reilly Hell Island by Matthew Reilly.
[bookcover:The Buddha in the Atti..."

Thanks Vix! You have done extremely well with yours!

message 347: by KOMET (new)

KOMET I'm in the homestretch now. 73 MORE PAGES TO GO.

The Flight Of The Maidens by Jane Gardam by Jane Gardam

message 348: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) I think I've made a huge dent in both TBR shelves this month. I would love to keep my TBR under 100 but I would live even more if I can get my To be read; on shelf one down to at least 20-25

message 349: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikkijazzie) | 8 comments So for the first challenge I've ever done on here... in the month of May so far I have read

Don't Breathe a WordJennifer McMahon
Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the BeastRobin McKinley
PassionLauren Kate
With My BodyNikki Gemmell
The ProphecyChris Kuzneski
DeadlockedCharlaine Harris
Daughter of Smoke and BoneLaini Taylor
And I have just started reading

The Secret CrownChris Kuzneski
which I should finish by Friday bringing my total to 8 books down on my TBR pile. Not bad considering I work 60 hour weeks :)

message 350: by KOMET (new)

KOMET FINISHED READING The Flight Of The Maidens by Jane Gardam

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ordeal by Innocence (other topics)
They Do It with Mirrors (other topics)
The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (other topics)
Murder at the Vicarage (other topics)
The Moving Finger (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sis Levin (other topics)
Harlan Coben (other topics)
Candice James (other topics)
Carl Sagan (other topics)
Katherine Howell (other topics)
More...