Jesus Freaks Jesus Freaks discussion

what?

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

what do u think about the book to me it rocks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tami I am reading it right now and it is inspiring.

Sierra Beatty tragic and sad but makes me want to live more for Jesus! :)

Torie It's heartbreaking, but inspiring & wonderful! A book that I think I probably should read many times.

Lynn Clark This is a great book and there is a second one as well. I have read them both at least a couple of times.

Caitlyn I have read both, I got the little one full of Bible verses, and I LOVE IT! It has resparked my Christian life! It is simple awe-spiring.

Tshenollo Tshetlo I lent a copy from a friend a few months ago, been looking everywhere to buy my own and the second book. I think thestories and poeple featured in this book are beyond amazing... My faith has grown as is renewed with each story. I love it!

Jennifer Bedsaul It was one of the most inspiring as well as moving books I've ever read.

message 9: by Will (last edited Aug 02, 2012 07:19PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Will IV I admit to being inspired by it as a child, but as an adult, I find it sad in a pitiful way: that people are willing to die on faith. I think most of you here would agree if the name "Jesus" was merely replaced with another term or deity. What if these people were dying in the name of Zeus, or, a little closer to home, Allah? It's frightening, and not at all a good thing. And that people of all sorts of faiths and religions happily die for their unjustified beliefs is truly disheartening. You would think it truly regretful if a dear friend of yours, a loved one, perhaps your mother or father, was willing, happily, to give his/her life in the name of Joseph Smith, or in the name of Marxism, etc.

We should live for truth, not die for faith (i.e. the act of believing without, and in spite of, evidence).

Yaoifan365 I read it a few years ago, and I still remember the stories. They were so tragic, and yet inspiring. It makes me mad that I find myself back-sliding all the time. I must make God very dissapointed.

Teressa Will wrote: "I admit to being inspired by it as a child, but as an adult, I find it sad in a pitiful way: that people are willing to die on faith. I think most of you here would agree if the name "Jesus" was me..."

Ah, you see, we believe that Jesus is "the Way, the Truth, and the Life" so we are living for Truth. That living for Truth always involves dying to self, and occasionally means giving our life so others can see the truth.

"What is to give light must endure burning."
Viktor E. Frankl

message 12: by Will (new) - rated it 1 star

Will IV I know you believe that. I used to believe it too, and I find it just as sad as you would if the book was about Ancient Greeks dying to spread the truth of Zeus.

Dying for causes is arbitrary and meaningless except to the person who dies. I highly doubt anyone else came to this "truth" that you seek to spread by seeing someone die for it, because people aren't convinced in this manner. They come to believe for different reasons. I've never once heard someone's testimony be that the reason they became a Christian was because they know someone who died trying to spread it, because people die for different causes all the time and people know that your willingness to die for something is not an indication of the veracity of that belief.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Jesus Freaks (other topics)