Read Between the Wines discussion

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
This topic is about The Power of Habit
Book Club Discussions > Discussion: The Power of Habit

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason, Cabernet Sauvignon (last edited Jan 19, 2014 07:42AM) (new)

Jason (ancatdubh2) | 734 comments Our May 2012 alternate wine/book club selection is The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg.

Don't forget to mark your "currently reading" shelf and be sure to check back in to comment on your progress or discuss your thoughts. If you write a review, please post a link to it in the thread. The review will also appear on the book's "group page" (linked above).

When discussing the book in this thread, spoilers can be hidden by bracketing them between the special <spoiler> and </spoiler> tags.

message 2: by Brigid, Sauvignon Blanc (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brigid | 37 comments http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.c...

Fareed Zakaria posted this today. I love him.

message 3: by Jason, Cabernet Sauvignon (new)

Jason (ancatdubh2) | 734 comments Oh, how fascinating. That article reminded me of one I had seen a while ago... and now I'm wondering if it must be related to this book.

It is related. I have not read this book, but in February I read an article in the New York Times about Target focusing its market research on shopping patterns and using the data to "guess" when a consumer might be pregnant.

Who wrote the article? None other than Charles Duhigg. Now I'm wondering if it wasn't Janice or somebody who posted this article on Facebook, as that would at least explain how I bumped into it. Anyway, here it is:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/mag...

So does reading this article count as having read the entire book? No? Hmm? Well, I'll be curious to see what else you people glean from it.

message 4: by Jason, Cabernet Sauvignon (new)

Jason (ancatdubh2) | 734 comments How is this read going? It's very quiet on this side... it looks like there's a few people who've read it or are reading it. Any good?

Daniel | 9 comments I finished and posted something. Is it showing?

message 6: by Jason, Cabernet Sauvignon (new)

Jason (ancatdubh2) | 734 comments Yip. You can also post a link to it here if you want to call people's attention to it (but yes, it does show up on the main book page).

Here is Dan's review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Rhianna (chuggingprop) | 7 comments I'm a bit slow to update and finish but I'm about 3/4 the way through the book. I've got some beach time coming up this weekend, so both will be finished by then.

So far, it's not a bad read but I'm not really a fan. The caveat is that I'm a behavioral neuroscience nerd, so creating the habit loop is the basis of practically every experiment I run.

My issues with the book are mostly that it's repetitive and kind of boring. I think I could have easily just read the first few chapters and walked away with exactly what I did after reading as far as I have. Yay! Febreeze can make housewives happy by following the habit loop! Yay! The guy who works at Starbucks shows up and doesn't want to kill people who insult his shitty coffee making skills thanks to the habit loop!

I don't know if the book will get into it later on, but I really was hoping the book would be more introspective and helpful. I'll update when I get further on in the book.

message 8: by Jason, Cabernet Sauvignon (last edited May 25, 2012 12:16PM) (new)

Jason (ancatdubh2) | 734 comments That's sort of why I was asking about that article. I read it and enjoyed it but wondered if the book wasn't just some repetitive extrapolation of the same bull$hit.

Rhianna (chuggingprop) | 7 comments I'm pretty sure that some of the parts of the article are word for word from the book-- I specifically remember the parts about your car backing out of the driveway and Ann Graybiel. So yeah, I think you've read the book, or at least the parts I have so far.

message 10: by Jason, Cabernet Sauvignon (last edited May 28, 2012 09:42AM) (new)

Jason (ancatdubh2) | 734 comments Great. So now I can say: "Duhiggy? ✔"

Rhianna (chuggingprop) | 7 comments And you just saved yourself a few hours.

message 12: by Jason, Cabernet Sauvignon (new)

Jason (ancatdubh2) | 734 comments Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

unread topics | mark unread