The Corrections The Corrections question

The title
Ofra Ofra Apr 19, 2012 12:32AM
Wondering about, what corrections ? the hidden cynisim or sarcasm?

deleted member Apr 25, 2012 07:38AM   1 vote
It's also a reference to William Gaddis' The Recognitions, a complicated novel that defeated Franzen the reader. This reference is further codified in the e-mail "gaddisfly" that somebody has in the novel.

I have a vague memory that in a few places a character mentioned needing to make corrections.

Ofra Yes, right through; damage and attempts at correcting and in the end Enid is looking forward towards "correcting" her life, but are they indeed correc ...more
Apr 19, 2012 01:42AM
Greg Walklin A (hopefully) comprehensive list of the times "corrections" appears in the text is here:
Apr 28, 2013 01:00PM

I agree with this entire discussion...I saw the word "corection(s)" throughout the book, and also recognized that each character corrected, and then corrected yet again, his or her life. These people are a mess!

I remember lots of references to "the corrections":
-set of corrections on Chip's script (p.34)
- The Conn. State Department of Corrections, bordering Chip's faculty housing unit (p.39)
-Chip plotting the "correct" results of an 8th grade Science Fair experiment (p.40)

I stopped taking notes for a while, then picked up some more references:
- "His enitre life was set up as a correction of his father's life" (p.207
-the Corectall Process (p.206)followed by investment analysts advising against investing "mindful of gut-wrenching corrections in the biotech sector" (p.217) and again, describing the process as "instantaneoulsy self-correcting [...]neural pathways (p.221)
And those were just a few that I jotted down....not to mention the numerous references to the parents' punishing the kids as "corrections"
More food for thought! ;)

Right - and the ostensible reason - that Chip had to make "corrections" to his manuscript...

It seemed to me that the entire book was about a set of corrections. Not only did Franzen literally weave examples in, like Andrea mentioned above, but he also developed each character in a way that showed "corrections" they were making in their lives. I was also thinking about Ofra's comment above... what does it mean to correct ones life? I think in this case each character had reactions to other characters that helped inspire said corrections. Denise and Enid's relationship, Gary and Enid, Chip and Enid, Alfred and Enid... to me Enid was that central character that brought about corrections. Does that make sense?

Áine (last edited Apr 28, 2012 02:17PM ) Apr 28, 2012 02:12PM   0 votes
the biggest correction for Enid seemed to be her husband's trip over the railing?

And Macgregor - love your outfit: mad about plaid, etc.

The "Corrections" also refer to the economic changes that happened as the nineties boom began to wind down, which mimic the breakdown in the family's unity.

On the last pages, with Alfred in a nursing home, Enid lists the many corrections Alfred should have made during their life together. "She's felt Wrong all her life and now she had a chance to tell him how Wrong he was."

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Corrections (other topics)